Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:golfclap:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AbstractNapper posted:

Sonic was ok-ish, but that part of the story was not a highlight in the episode, and they have yet to explain how he blends in with the crowd (and how he was undetected so far) when he looks like that, cuts through walls and attacks people in public places and there are now at least 2 agencies on the look out for such individuals (maybe 3 with Ward's crowd).

Looks like he only dematerialises walls when he needs a quick getaway and this was probably the first time he came up against someone who could fight back. The other attacks might not have been in public places, especially when you consider that people probably take their fish oil supplement when they're at home.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Victoria Hand was gay in the comics but she got killed off in the MCU before we could find out if that transferred across to the TV version.

I think the mention calling her wife for the funeral services. So that was confirmed? Maybe? I dunno, my brain is fuzzy on those facts.

AbstractNapper posted:

Sonic was ok-ish, but that part of the story was not a highlight in the episode, and they have yet to explain how he blends in with the crowd (and how he was undetected so far) when he looks like that, cuts through walls and attacks people in public places and there are now at least 2 agencies on the look out for such individuals (maybe 3 with Ward's crowd).

I figure he doesn't need to blend in to society is he has those powers to cut through walls. He's kind of like and Inhuman Kitty Pryde. She could just chill underground, phased through, and be fine. He could just just be in an underground system, popping out like the hedgehog he is when he sniffs out another inhuman.

What I'd like to know is HOW he knows where an inhuman is before all these agencies do.

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 30, 2015

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The inhumans probably have some way to track the use of their powers. Gordon and PsychoMom didn't have any issues finding Daisy and Raina in season 2 either, even when they were in hiding or on the run.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
AVClub gave that episode a B-, further cementing my theory that I need to stop reading the AVClub

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

raditts posted:

I thought it was Sonic the Hedgehog.

So did Mack.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Soothing Vapors posted:

AVClub gave that episode a B-, further cementing my theory that I need to stop reading the AVClub

they were right :colbert:

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Was Lincoln confirmed as a doctor before? I just remember him going grocery shopping for Daisy's mom or something.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Iain De Caestecker is such a good actor.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

GigaPeon posted:

Was Lincoln confirmed as a doctor before? I just remember him going grocery shopping for Daisy's mom or something.

It was mentioned at some point. I think he was a medical student at the time.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

Normally I wouldn't say this OP but I think you really should explain the exact point the show steps up it's game in Season 1.

The biggest problem with AoS is getting people to make it through the rocky start. I know you mentioned that, but more light at the end of the tunnel is good.

PS: Anyone reading this thread for the first time, the show VASTLY improves in the last quarter of the first season and has been on an upward slope since.

Are you implying there are bad episode?

Nah mate.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BSam posted:

Are you implying there are bad episodes?

Nah mate.

They weren't bad, just super boring(and maybe also bad).

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I am here for Indiana Fitz, Simmons's Alien Odyssey, and the Adventures of Sonic SHADOW the Hedgehog.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

GigaPeon posted:

He was a resident. Although very much TV magic, since how the hell he pulls hours AND worked for Daisy's Mom I have no clue.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Pan Dulce posted:

He was a resident. Although very much TV magic, since how the hell he pulls hours AND worked for Daisy's Mom I have no clue.

He had a teleporter on retainer.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Maybe Lash is working for the Ten Rings

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I liked the episode over all, especially the misadventures of rogue agent Fitz who continues to own, but Lash did not come off as especially threatening and the godawful "stream our powers at thing and when that doesn't work STREAM IT HARDER" bit just came off as dull and predictable. I'm curious whether Coulson weighed the fact that he could have drat well derailed that train before they tossed the recovery beacon to escape because trains have certainly derailed for less.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

PierreTheMime posted:

I liked the episode over all, especially the misadventures of rogue agent Fitz who continues to own, but Lash did not come off as especially threatening and the godawful "stream our powers at thing and when that doesn't work STREAM IT HARDER" bit just came off as dull and predictable.

Even that did not work. It was not until they knocked the ground from under him they were able to escape.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

they were right :colbert:
is there ever a point during your day when you look in the mirror and are not revulsed by the wretched, broken thing staring back at you

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Even that did not work. It was not until they knocked the ground from under him they were able to escape.

Yeah I was glad they averted that trope a bit.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I'm wondering about that whole Coulson having a difficult time with the Daisy/Skye naming bit. Will May and Ward have gotten the memo?

I'm looking forward to the Ward reaction. Could lead to some pretty angry Quake powers and those are always fun.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

can't wait for the Ward's feelings of inadequacy start to mount up and he injects himself with chemicals to get superpowers

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
Great premiere, my first since catching up on Netflix. All of Fitz's scenes were great and ultimately tragic. That dude's heart can never catch a break! I liked the twist that the ACTU (whatever acronym the new Shield is called) aren't bad, or at least aren't the ones killing the Inhumans. I thought SSJ3 Beast looked lame but hey, it's network TV.

And Chloe Bennett gets more beautiful every season. Possibly every episode.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Sava has never been one of their better critics.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

mythicknight posted:

Excited as gently caress.

Wonder what this year's "did they bang" or "who shot dog" endless argument might be.

"Where's the dubsmash?"

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Caper posted:

And Chloe Bennett gets more beautiful every season. Possibly every episode.

She looked like she hit the weight room hard in between seasons in that one scene with Mac and the melting metal guy.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This show got so much better, it's crazy.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

tin can made man posted:

Maybe he's a higher up since he's got seven rings in hand.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

tin can made man posted:

That reveal was cringe-worthy. They should have cut that silhouette profile bit of the scene entirely.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

tin can made man posted:

:golfclap:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

mikeraskol posted:

She looked like she hit the weight room hard in between seasons in that one scene with Mac and the melting metal guy.

I read somewhere that she broke her arm during the shooting of the one-take fighting scene in season 2, but still powered through the remainder of the season, including the fight vs May, by only putting her arm in a cast between takes. Girl's pretty determined to fill the role of an action heroine.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm still holdin' out hope that Simmons was transported to the Skrull homeworld and we're gonna get some Invasion of the Body Snatchers action later on.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I hope the ratings are doing well. I know that TV ratings in particular with ABC have been a sore spot since that freak out in the market. This show is such a different animal each season, a lot of cool stuff (other than trying to make Sonic look serious, which was just hilarious.)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

I hope the ratings are doing well. I know that TV ratings in particular with ABC have been a sore spot since that freak out in the market. This show is such a different animal each season, a lot of cool stuff (other than trying to make Sonic look serious, which was just hilarious.)

up from last year's finale, but down from last year's premiere

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Love the axe on the wall, although that's kind of a weird keepsake when you think about it.

But there's something else. Coulson's stump has a triangle shaped light.

Who else in the MCU has a triangle shaped light?

COULSON HAS A loving ARC REACTOR IN HIS ARM!!!!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Agents of SHIELD Season 3, Episode 1: Rules Laws of Nature

The heroic version of the chrysalis leitmotif was cool. Possibly Daisy's theme?

Fulton joke!

Logo fun!

I really hope Clark Gregg gets to yell "ROCKET PUNCH" sometime this season.

From SHIELD, two phantoms were born...

Shoooosh!

Iain De Caestecker continues to knock it out of the freakin' park.

Simmons! :ohdear:

Bonus dumb MGS V joke! Sorta spoilers?

Less Metal Gear references next week...probably.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PunkBoy posted:

Shoooosh!

Such a lust for Inhumans. Who? Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Because it's part of the MCU, there are alternate revenue streams for Disney to make money from AoS, so the ratings calculus is going to be a bit more forgving. Also, it's in season three, which means if it gets one more season it will pass the magic 88 episodes threshhold for syndication. The prognosticators at TVBTN will often automatically predict a fourth season renewal for a reasonably popular show starting season three. Finally, it tied for first in the demo in its timeslot, so as long as it stays competitive there and stays above a 1.2 it should be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

Sava has never been one of their better critics.

You're being too kind. He's mostly really bad, though his strictly comics stuff tends to be a little better.

His reviews of this show just amount to calling it bland, criticising the acting (of perfectly good regulars!) and speculation as to the secret identities of various characters. They're really bad.

• Locked thread