Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Oh, hey, the MCU finally has a canon gay character. It only took you seven years. :golfclap:

Pretty good episode. Not quite as focused as the S2 premiere, and a few bits of clunky exposition (Coulson telling Fitz about what the latter has done in search of Simmons, for the benefit of the audience), but Lash worked better than I'd expected and I'm excited to see where they go from the tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Cocks Cable posted:

And could Mack be his new teddy bear? Make it happen Marvel.

Mack was possibly-maybe implied to be gay in flashbacks last season (he seemed particularly close to one of his deceased SHIELD comrades), so maybe? But that was ambiguous enough that they could still go another way with it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

AVClub gave that episode a B-, further cementing my theory that I need to stop reading the AVClub

Sava has never been one of their better critics.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Well, "something" is by definition "more prominent" than "absolutely loving nothing," the status quo to date. But that article is editorializing to infer more than what he actually said.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/feige-latcham-say-infinity-war-leads-to-the-end-of-the-avengers-as-we-know-them

quote:

The question I have is about the intersection of the Marvel TV universe and the film universe. We've seen a lot of references in "Daredevil" and "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.," and I'm assuming the other other shows that are coming, to what's happened in the films. Are we going to see references to the events of the TV shows in any of the movies?

Feige: I think that's inevitable at some point, as we're plotting the movies going forward and the shows. The schedules do not always quite match up to make that possible. It's easier for them. They're more nimble and faster and produce things quicker than we do, which is one of the main reasons you see the repercussions of "Winter Soldier" or "Age of Ultron" in the show. But going forward and as they get to do more shows, and cast them with such great actors they have, particularly in the "Daredevil" show, that may occur. A lot of it is, by the time we start doing a movie, they'd be mid-way through a season. By the time our movie comes out, they'd be done with the second and starting the third season. So finding the timing on that is not always easy.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

The first line he says is "I think that's inevitable at some point, as we're plotting the movies going forward and the shows." You know the meaning of "inevitable" right?

Yes, and he was only asked about "references," not TV canon becoming "prominent" in the films.

I've said all along that the films would probably have brief cameos or other Easter eggs referencing the TV series eventually. If Daredevil joins the Avengers or if fish oil is a major plot point in the 2019 Inhumans film, then sure, I'll eat crow.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Lol. Seriously, I think Skrulls are *probably* reserved for future film use, but I would love to be wrong - they'd work best with a slow-burn setup that can really only be done on TV, and any film that used them as the villains would probably degenerate into yet another climax consisting of the Avengers blasting hordes of faceless CG scrubs, which we really don't need to see again.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Well, I'm not going to make an rear end of myself by getting dogmatic about anything like that again (except the general idea of substantive narrative crossover in the TV->film direction, which I would still be shocked to see happen; you'll get brief cameos and/or Easter eggs and that's it).

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Simmons is a Skifflefuffle. Look it up.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Almost certainly bullshit.

http://t.co/a0UR6cI64J

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

X-O posted:

So did the end of last week's episode. And the preview.

And the official synopsis, released weeks ago.

Fairly major spoiler about tonight's episode, which I won't quote and will only address in very vague terms below:

http://www.tvguide.com/news/mega-buzz-agents-of-shield-simmons/

Does the character described here sound like any 616 character to you? Not ringing any bells, though it could just be original.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Thank god that was a fakeout. Would have been incredibly tone-deaf to kill off the one canon gay male character in the entire MCU (and one canon LGBT character, period, until Jessica Jones premieres).

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

X-O posted:

He's still cannon fodder. Everyone not on the main cast is. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it out of the episode.

Introducing an LGBT character just to kill him/her off is bullshit in a universe with almost no LGBT representation, sorry. But hopefully the writers have more sense than that.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The Waid series has been quite good on its own merits, but it's not that similar to the TV series - it's mostly been more of a superhero book with SHIELD characters than an espionage book in the Marvel U.

The Guggenheim series looks to be more of a straight-up "the TV series but in 616 continuity" approach, for better or worse.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Fox probably never owned any movie rights to Squirrel Girl. The character being a mutant was literally one-off joke for two pages of a comic published 4 decades after her debut. The movie rights thing is not always so simple. Making a mutant character in the comics into a non-mutant will not automatically change its movie rights status, just like revealing a character to be a mutant in the comics will not give Fox the rights to that character.

Yeah, the notion that Fox automatically owns the rights to any character defined as a mutant in 616, regardless of their level of ties to the X-franchise, has never made sense.

And if the lawyers had already determined Fox had the rights to her, it wouldn't make a drat bit of difference what Marvel did with her in the comics.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

This is much better than the last few episodes, or probably the whole season thus far.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Oh, it's Magneto.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Glad that this finally brought all the season's plot threads together. The lack of focus has been one of S3's bigger weaknesses thus far.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Or, just maybe, there's such a thing as a slow burn on overarching plotlines, and you're super impatient.

No, this show has actually done a much better job of keeping disparate plotlines relatively unified with an overarching threat before (the first ten episodes of S2, which I still think are the strongest run the series has had to date).

I mean, it's still leagues better than S1, but since then, the show has spent too much time on storylines that either aren't very interesting on their own merits (the other SHIELD last season, S3 Ward up until this episode), or take too long to cohere into a satisfying whole (the Lash/portal/ATCU storylines this season, up until this episode).

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 18, 2015

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

greatn posted:

Will the equipment they were talking about last episode they said was from the sixties, since Carter is in the forties it's unlikely.

Is Carter's friend who wanted to make it on Broadway gonna come with her to Hollywood? Seems like an organic move for her.

Nope, Fonseca isn't coming back. Probably some sort of BTS politics, who knows.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Are there plenty of worse shows out there than the first half of S1? Sure. But it was not a good show at that point, and with so much actual good TV out there competing for our limited free time, I wouldn't feel bad about advising anyone to read the Wikipedia synopses or whatnot instead.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Agents of SHIELD was never a bad show. When it started out, it just wasn't what anyone was expecting it to be. Everyone had high expectations about a TV series that tied into the Marvel movie universe, but it only really did that tangentially. When it started out, it was a pretty good, if not exactly revolutionary, procedural show. Of course, the whole procedural set-up was just to establish a status quo for them to completely subvert, and now Agents of SHIELD is, in my opinion, one of the best things about the MCU.

Nah, even on its own merits, it simply wasn't very good. There were a couple decent episodes early on, but it didn't really even start to justify its existence until the second half of S1.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Huge grain of salt, but a badly written fansite I've never heard of before is claiming that Yo-Yo Rodriguez has been cast for the back 12 of the season.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

hope and vaseline posted:

Her instagram thingy seems accurate also https://www.instagram.com/p/-Vi0lcIM8X/, Juan Pablo Raba is the inhuman melty guy, though it's entirely possible she might be cast as something else, like how the von strucker kid was initially reported as playing Phobos.

Hmm, guess she's an uncredited (in the press release) guest star in the midseason finale, then? Too soon for them to have started filming the back 12.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Goddamn, this season has really picked up.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I'm starting to think that they originally had much more ambitious plans for the Secret Warriors, but that the budget for S3 was cut significantly shortly before or shortly after production started. It would explain a lot.

I mean, when your one big fight scene takes place entirely off-camera, and when your superpowered characters use their powers for about ten seconds, and when Jeff Bell is implying in interviews that they'll continue teasing SW over the course of the back 12,, you've got problems.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

Barry's predictions ought to be stickied.

I don't think I predicted anything, other than that the show will continue to look and feel cheap. Especially in comparison to Flash and Supergirl, which manage to deliver multiple FX-heavy action scenes every episode.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Onean posted:

Yeah, they put the scenes out of sync for dramatic tension, and possibly budget and time concerns as well since they don't have to shoot a scene for everyone escaping to the pod. They did almost exactly the same thing for when Fitz pulled Simmons out the first time.

It's done a lot in all kinds of media, and usually feels a little cheap to me. Especially this time since we know the team in the plane had a satellite picture showing what was going on fairly clearly.

Edit: I guess the tension on the plane can be explained by them not being entirely sure if the ground team was able to safely get away from the explosions even though they knew the team got out of the portal room, so there's that at least.

That's kind of my problem with this whole episode in a nutshell - the plot wasn't bad, but the most visually interesting, exciting events all happened offscreen.

Hence my speculation above about budget cuts - the show has never been renowned for its visual flair, but I don't recall the first two seasons feeling this threadbare.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

The Hydra Inhuman is obviously going to be powerful, it's just funny that it was so wimpy in this episode after all the talk.

It could be coming. The show has had pretty different halves of the seasons both times now, and with the ancient Inhuman on Earth now they might need more firepower.

Whitehall was Kraken.

http://comicbook.com/2015/12/09/exclusive-agents-of-shield-ep-jeff-bell-on-when-well-see-the-sec/

EP Jeffrey Bell posted:

I would say it's certainly a warning shot over the bow. They certainly came in and were helpful. It was the first time that they were put together in some kind of meaningful way, and I would say just keep looking forward to more of that as we ... I think we, as writers on the show, feel like we have to earn this group. It wasn't just like everybody who had a power could suddenly get a cool uniform and be part of a team, you have to figure out how to do that. Yeah, we're moving in that direction.

That sure sounds like they're going to continue slow-walking the Secret Warriors for the rest of the season.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I actually do like the show despite my qualms, and the last two episodes were quite good. But it's pretty drat flawed and the budget limitations feel a lot more noticeable than in the first two seasons.

If you'd rather I'd be all sunshine and rainbows about it, that's not going to happen.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

I love how Simmons is racking up a massive double-digit accidental death tally at this point.

Baseless hunch prediction: Given LEVIATHAN was brought up there, I suspect that we'll see the Monoliths - at least a cameo of them - in Peggy Carter this season.

They've made a point to say it's been going on for centuries, after all.

To each their own and all that, but I think in general they've upped the scope so much I'm impressed with the quality of effects we are getting; and sets, and props, and everything else. It's only noticeable budget problems compared to a movie.

Go look at the CGI on ABC's other fine shows, realize how loving bad it can get, and then realize frankly SHIELD is as AAA as you can get for TV effects that aren't on HBO.

ED: Also seriously, they have a pretty large variety of locations. Most shows like this would only have their bunker, but they've had multiple planes, a half dozen Hydra castles and relic sites, all kinds of city filming.. seriously if you think the production value is bad I am at a loss.

I'm not comparing it to a movie, just to the other superhero shows currently airing on network television.

However the budget actually stacks up, SHIELD's visuals have consistently felt blander and cheaper than the likes of Flash and Supergirl, which manage to deliver multiple FX-heavy action scenes in almost every episode. If they're blowing most of their budget on locations to the point where they can't provide a single proper action/fight scene in the midseason finale, they need to get their priorities straight.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

Perhaps they just didn't want/need one. The episode was packed to the gills with content, was suspenseful and really fun. You seem to believe that the episode has to have an fx-heavy fight or something to be justified or be a good midseason finale. Flash did and was terrible, Shield didn't and was good.

It seems weird to me to complain about what wasn't there, when what was there is really good. And then hold up two terrible shows (Flash isn't terrible but the latest episode was) as an example of what Shield should do.

I liked the Flash finale, but that's beside the point.

I'm fine with an action-light episode when and if the lack of action naturally arises from the story being told, i.e. the Simmons episode earlier this season wouldn't have really worked with a CG-heavy battle against the monster. But this episode had plenty of Hydra/SHIELD and Inhumans action going on; we just didn't get to see most of it.

Bottom line is that it felt written around budget constraints, and not organically so.

Also, of course Flash and Supergirl have had the occasional dodgy CG shot, but I don't understand how anyone can point to them and claim that the FX aren't great by network TV standards, let alone worse than SHIELD's.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 9, 2015

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Jonny_Rocket posted:

This creature that came back from Maveth has to be this guy, right?

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Hive_%28Earth-616%29

Hive is the "physical embodiment of the Hydra ideal" and is made of of parasites which dominates the human host it engulfs. Also, from the Wiki page, this also leads me to believe the creature is Hive because "The Hive's only weakness is that despite the deadliness of its parasites it still has the physical limitations of its human host", which would explain why he was such a pushover in the fight against Fitz. The only thing that might discredit this theory would be if Malick's statement about it being an Inhuman was correct.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to seeing what will come of Squid-Ward in the next half of this season.

It could still be an Inhuman. Not like they're wedded to 616 backstory for any character they adapt.

And it's always possible that it could be something else, but Hive is from Secret Warriors and the general concept of the character matches what we've seen well enough, so he's the best guess.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Charles Gnarwin posted:

The hashtag is the part that gets me because canceling AoS would mean Ward going away. Fandoms can be really fuckin weird.

With Lash out and Barry Convex predicting that Secret Warriors will be downplayed, I'm guessing that the back half of the season will focus on Daisy and crew stopping him. It's not like they would prove themselves a solid team on a high-risk mission and then just disband. I imagine that Hydra will need a bit of time to recuperate after having tons of operatives killed and those episodes aren't going to be filled with the SHIELD Halo 5 tournament (not that we all wouldn't watch the poo poo out of that).

FWIW, the main reason why I'm down on Secret Warriors - well, besides the budget complaints - is because one of the EPs hemmed, hawed, and equivocated when he was asked about it. He could have easily answered the question with something straightforward like "yes, this is the beginning of the Secret Warriors, and you'll see plenty more of them when the show returns in March!," but he didn't.

I would love to be wrong, but until we see/hear more to the contrary, I'm not optimistic.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

In case anyone is wondering whether Wilkes is really dead, it's *probably* not a coincidence that he has the same name as a very obscure Marvel character.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix5/wilkesjason.htm

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Apoplexy posted:

Can we say HELLFIRE IS COMING BACK?

AoS might - MIGHT - actually be casting the Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider for S4.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/wait-is-ghost-rider-coming-to-agents-of-shield-after-all

I figured they'd be doing some sort of supernatural storyline tangentially related to Doctor Strange, but I wouldn't have expected that. Even on the series' budget, I'd take that over another Inhumans storyline any day.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Burning_Monk posted:

Didn't Netflix just get the rights to do a Ghost Rider series?

No, that was a laughably sourced rumor.

(and semantic nitpick - Netflix doesn't make or own TV shows, they don't get the "rights to do" anything, just to air them)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

Netflix makes several of it's own shows in addition to airing other shows though?

Not exactly. They don't have an in-house TV studio like Amazon does; they just pay other studios for exclusive distribution rights.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I'm pretty skeptical of this, because it's not a direct quote from Whedon and the only source reporting it is io9 (CBR is just citing their story); at least one other outlet at that roundtable has reported it quite differently.

http://collider.com/comic-con-2016-agents-of-shield-panel-recap/

quote:

Now that Marvel has bumped the Inhumans movie from its current slate, there could be a bigger opening for the show to explore that roster of character. Both Bell and Loeb said it’s going to be easier to explain the origins of characters’ new powers, while Tancharoen and Whedon feel they now have more freedom to expand into that world. While they did not comment on whether they would be able to tap into any of the classic or more popular Inhuman characters, expect to see further integration of Inhumans into this new season.

That said, if it's true, the Inhumans movie is definitely 100% dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

http://deadline.com/2016/07/adrianne-palicki-stars-seth-macfarlane-fox-series-scott-grimes-cast-1201794853/

Palicki has been cast as the female lead in a new Fox series with a 13-episode order, so don't expect to see much Mockingbird (if any) in S4.

• Locked thread