Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You know, I kinda just realized a flaw in his plan. Assuming Seymour did get made into her Final Aeon, Yuna didn't necessarily have to summon him against Sin. Much in the same way Seymour never summoned his Final Aeon to fight Sin. Oh, sure, I don't think Yuna would just leave Sin unattended, but there's nothing to stop her from doing what she did in the main story and just making Seymour into a Fayth to get him out of the way with minimal casualties.

There are many flaws in Seymours plan, first and foremost the "Genocide all of everything."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

If he became Sin it'd be very viable, and Seymour almost certainly knows how to become Sin.

If you think about it, he knows how to be a lot worse than Jecht with how he accumulates pyreflies/souls/force ghosts into weird little mortibuddies and sweet ride-armors

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I like Seymour even though he could have been done better. But there's a lot of important components to his character and plan that we haven't got to yet so we can't really have a proper discussion of either.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
A thought occurs. Why do non-humans all have their race as a surname? Seymour Guado, Kelk Ronso, ect. Does this mean Yuna's full name is Yuna Human or Yuna Spiran? Is Rikku's Rikku Al-Bhed?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Who What Now posted:

A thought occurs. Why do non-humans all have their race as a surname? Seymour Guado, Kelk Ronso, ect. Does this mean Yuna's full name is Yuna Human or Yuna Spiran? Is Rikku's Rikku Al-Bhed?

Yuna's name at the moment is Yuna Guado until she finishes filing those divorce papers/murders her husband more successfully.

But on a more serious note, it seems like something that's unique to the non-human races. I'd again like to point out that Spira has a number of Blitzball teams named after locations (Besaid Aurochs, Kilika Fangs, Luca Goers, Bevelle Bells, Zanarkand Abes, Zanarkand Duggles, etc.) while the other teams are just named the (Race) (Nouns/Descriptor).

Spira's kinda racist.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tidus Starplayerofthezanarkandabes, of the Zanarkand Starplayerofthezanarkandabes.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Do humans even have surnames? I always just thought it was because Spira predates surnames in general. Like how you used to be called after your job, Tom Builder, Jim Fletcher and suchlike.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I never really thought of phrases like "Guado take care of Guado affairs" or "let Ronso deal with Ronso problems, it's a rule" as racist. I guess it's because I tend to think of racism as...ya know, genocide, guys in white bedsheets lynching people, etc.. But I guess the extreme segregation in Spira is a type of racism, too.

Although fantasy races keeping apart and to themselves is in a lot of things. Probably, like most fantasy, it's due to Tolkien and a lot of his races were racist.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

NikkolasKing posted:

I never really thought of phrases like "Guado take care of Guado affairs" or "let Ronso deal with Ronso problems, it's a rule" as racist. I guess it's because I tend to think of racism as...ya know, genocide, guys in white bedsheets lynching people, etc.. But I guess the extreme segregation in Spira is a type of racism, too.

Although fantasy races keeping apart and to themselves is in a lot of things. Probably, like most fantasy, it's due to Tolkien and a lot of his races were racist.

It's sort of racist but at the same time "Butt the gently caress out this is Guado/Ronso business" Is the Guado/Ronso take on the subject too.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well maybe if you think of them as autonomous states instead of separate races within a giant country?

I dunno.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Onmi posted:

It's sort of racist but at the same time "Butt the gently caress out this is Guado/Ronso business" Is the Guado/Ronso take on the subject too.

Exactly. Both the Guado and the Ronso have made it clear that they can handle their own problems and don't appreciate outside interference for internal disputes (unless you count Yevon getting on our team's asses over attacking Seymour, but that's a bit of an exception since he's also a Maester).

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Well maybe if you think of them as autonomous states instead of separate races within a giant country?

I dunno.

Maybe. They probably were autonomous at one point, but Yevon seems to function as a central government in the post-Machina War Spira.

Tidus is the perfect example of the person the Yevonites don't want mucking around their business. I like the fella, but poo poo falls apart around him. gently caress, he was in the Ronso homeland for less than an hour and now everyone is dead.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I'll also, in the vein of fantasy races being all vague and insular? One of the best parts in FFXII for me was when you go to the Viera village and when they refuse to lower the barriers AND refuse to tell you about the missing Viera Vaan just goes "You know what? Either tell us what you want or get out of our way because we don't have the time to deal with your bullshit." And that winds up working. It is immediately followed by Vaan showing he's still a kid by asking Fran how old she actually is, but you know good leg work there for a while.

Pureauthor posted:

I dunno.

Also I don't think the game ever really brings this up, Spira isn't the world, Spira is the continent/island nation the game takes place, there's probably a whole world out there, but Sin basically responds to "People trying to leave Spira" with "Fuuuuuuck that noise!" That actually kind of upsets me thinking we've had X-2 and a hint for X-3. Yet X-2 was all focused on Spira still and the X-3 hint is... better left not talked about by sane and rational human beings.

I thought it would have been interesting to see the world outside of Spira.

GrizzlyCow posted:

Maybe. They probably were autonomous at one point, but Yevon seems to function as a central government in the post-Machina War Spira.

Tidus is the perfect example of the person the Yevonites don't want mucking around their business. I like the fella, but poo poo falls apart around him. gently caress, he was in the Ronso homeland for less than an hour and now everyone is dead.

It does not help him that he asks questions, questions that Yevon would rather prefer not be asked. I actually laughed because when I was talking about FFX once, someone said the reason they hated Tidus so much was he shat over the Yevon religion and culture. And that's sort of his entire point of being in the story, he's the heretic, he's there to say "Why?" and it reminds me when they were travelling over the lake and Wakka was like "Why make a city over a lake?" and Tidus just reasonably says "Well you know access to all that water would probably help a lot."

Onmi fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 31, 2015

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
That would've been cool, but I'm glad X-2 showed that saving the world didn't fix everyone's poo poo. Just uncovered some tensions that was being held down.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

GrizzlyCow posted:

That would've been cool, but I'm glad X-2 showed that saving the world didn't fix everyone's poo poo. Just uncovered some tensions that was being held down.

To be fair, the whole "saving the world solves all other problems" thing in JRPGs tends to be a direct result of the entire world's problems all being addressed during the course of the game and everything spiraling wildly together until all the loose ends get tied up and the only thing left to really deal with is stopping the apocalypse. Despite the massive amount of upheaval of the existing status quo during the trip, FFX basically looks at the giant World's Problems Checklist, spots "Doom Whale murdering everyone indiscriminately" up at the top, and says "We'll take this one and the rest can wait." Whether this was actually done with the idea of a sequel in mind or not, it's a nice change of pace from a lot of other JRPGs for that alone.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Derek Barona posted:

To be fair, the whole "saving the world solves all other problems" thing in JRPGs tends to be a direct result of the entire world's problems all being addressed during the course of the game and everything spiraling wildly together until all the loose ends get tied up and the only thing left to really deal with is stopping the apocalypse. Despite the massive amount of upheaval of the existing status quo during the trip, FFX basically looks at the giant World's Problems Checklist, spots "Doom Whale murdering everyone indiscriminately" up at the top, and says "We'll take this one and the rest can wait." Whether this was actually done with the idea of a sequel in mind or not, it's a nice change of pace from a lot of other JRPGs for that alone.

It was also a great touch in X-2 that Spira was having real issues with the idea of a world without Sin. Like it or not, the entire culture of Spira was built on the pillars of Yevon and Sin. When there's a horrible giant doomwhale murdering large portions of real estate all the time it's marvelous to enforce social cohesion and tradition. I figure that's one reason everyone in Spira is so eager to help passing wayfarers like Yuna, aside from her being a Summoner. Without that glue, society will be reeling, trying to figure out what to do.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Jetrauben posted:

It was also a great touch in X-2 that Spira was having real issues with the idea of a world without Sin. Like it or not, the entire culture of Spira was built on the pillars of Yevon and Sin. When there's a horrible giant doomwhale murdering large portions of real estate all the time it's marvelous to enforce social cohesion and tradition. I figure that's one reason everyone in Spira is so eager to help passing wayfarers like Yuna, aside from her being a Summoner. Without that glue, society will be reeling, trying to figure out what to do.

There was also, overall, the feeling that "Are you SURE Sin is gone this time?" But yeah, I didn't mean to imply that exploring After-Sin Spira was a bad idea, I just wished we'd also gotten to see the rest of the world.

Speaking of, we're what, 2 updates from the next gate of big plot spoilers?

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Not even, IIRC. It's a quick jog past some neat-looking pillars, then... we'll find out. I remember being very confused the first time I saw it, I wonder how the thread will make of it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've seen people do really silly things when they have a crush but man, being killed three or four times and still coming back to your ex?

Just get over it dude.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

General interest post: Final Fantasy IX is getting a PC/mobile release. It's only in Japan so far, but maybe we'll get it over here too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I remember Dr. Tott.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Waffleman_ posted:

I remember Dr. Tott.

...It's Tot.

(This is actually a reference please don't mod me for lack of content!)

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Sith Lord Taro sells his own Nier fan magizine at Comiket dressed as Emil
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/12/31/nier-automata-director-sold-his-own-fanzine-at-comiket-89/

I deeply admire this man :allears:

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Happy Landfill posted:

Sith Lord Taro sells his own Nier fan magizine at Comiket dressed as Emil
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/12/31/nier-automata-director-sold-his-own-fanzine-at-comiket-89/

I deeply admire this man :allears:

I like that Saito is down for all of Taro's goofy shenanigans and plays along without so much as a blink.

sudonim fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 1, 2016

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XC: Aeon My Flux

Music: Challenge

Time for one of the two largest candidates for “THAT Boss” for first timers going through Final Fantasy X: Seymour Flux and his companion Mortiorchis. Seymour Flux is coming to the table with a healthy 70,000 HP the Pilgrimage Pals need to burn through before sending Seymour packing for a third time.

Our first order of business should be to have Tidus caste Hastega on the party. Seymour Flux is immune to any of Tidus' delay attack shenanigans and any attempt to Slow the boss will result in it immediately getting Dispelled. With the added negative of Mortiorchis getting pissed and casting a counter-Slow on the entire party.

After that, we want to tag Lulu in and have her cast Bio on Seymour. I hadn't really mentioned it, since Lulu is unlikely to have learned Bio at the time. But when filling out his Boss Sphere Grid, Seymour failed to pick up the Null-Poison ability like 95% of the bosses in the game possess.

That's a good 1,400 HP of damage any time Seymour so much as blinks. Which doesn't sound like a whole lot. But that adds up fast since every single action Seymour takes, and he has quite a few cut-in-line instant actions or multiple turn boss bullshit during this fight, will be another ~1500 HP down the drain. Poisoning Seymour is almost like having a fourth damage dealer on the line. It makes life much, much easier.

Now that our early prep of tossing toxic waste in Seymour's bizarre cat armor body is sorted out, we can get down to business. Like the previous encounters with the Guado maester, there are Trigger Commands to Talk to Seymour. This time around Yuna and Kimahri are the only ones who have choice words for the floating genocidal creeper.

“Let death carry you off into peaceful slumber.”
“You can't run from your fate!”
”And the dying without being sent turns you into a fiend so... Your plan has glaring flaws, holes, and logic leaps!”
“But death is delightful! I've done it twice myself.”
“Do you not see what I am saying?!”

Yuna gets a nice magic boost. Good to have as the vast bulk of Seymour's abilities are magic based. Kimahri also has a trigger command to follow up on Seymour. Might as well get that AP tag in out of the way, huh?

“The spirits of the Ronso will guide Kimahri's spear.”
”Oh. You'll have to wait your turn on that one, I'm afraid. I crafted my own lovely lance from the remains of the dearly departed Maester Kelk. He really should have read those Maester Memos and avoided this mess. Alas, the Ronso and literacy were never strong allies.”
“Grrr!”

Kimahri gains a strength increase. Which I suppose would be nice given Seymour has a bit of physical armor. But ya know... it's Kimahri. Sorry about the Ronso genocide but back to the sidelines, champ. Could you send Rikku up here for a moment?

Mr. Flux has a couple of elixirs that Rikku can snatch. Or Kimahri but meh. Look he had this turn to shine. We've got work to do here.

Seymour has a normal swipe with his flagpole lance that will strike a single character for 600-700 HP that is nothing to worry about. However, he also has “Lance of Atrophy” that strikes for around the same damage but has the unfortunate side-effect of causing the Zombie status for the first time in the game.

After afflicting a party member with Zombie, Mortiorchis will immediately follow up his next turn by casting Full-Life on the same party member, one-shoting them in the process. This can be pretty rude if you don't have Haste running and even then, Flux Capacitor is likely to pull off the combo at least once at the start of the fight.

Now then, remember how I suggested to invest in Holy Waters from Wantz? Here's one of the bosses that comes into play. After the first combo, I found Tidus was reliably able to outpace Mortiorchis in following up with a Lance of Atrophy and toss Holy Waters out as soon as Zombie was afflicted.

Seymour Flux and Mortiorchis don't have particularly smart AI. So regardless of whether anyone is zombified or not, Morty will burn a turn casting Full-Life on a healthy party member like an idiot err... I have no idea how you'd describe the mess of overdesign Mortiorchis/Seymour Flux is... At least their predecessor was stupid looking but describable as “Seymour turned his hair into a stone mural and got a fancy headcrab buddy.”

I really should do another model viewer segment just to critique dumb boss designs in the later half of the game.

Seymour's biggest damage dealer the first half of the battle, though somewhat rare if you can burn through enough HP in quick enough period (I had to do this battle a second time to see it) is the Cross Cleave.

Seymour Flux actually has two tree trunk sized swords strapped to his, for lack of a better term, back, that are ready to dish out some pain for this... single seldom used attack... They're mostly for decorations otherwise.

But if he does land it, it hits the entire party for a good 2200+ HP of damage. If he's feeling like a real dick he'll immediately follow-up with a Zombie/Full-Life combo next turn and potentially wipe your party if the wrong characters are in battle. At this point in the game Auron should have over 4000 HP and ought to always be in the active party in case of dickish supermoves like this.

Going on the offensive, it's best to hit Seymour Round 3 fast and early. Auron, Tidus, and Wakka's physical attacks all do well. Overdrives are as always choice. Lulu, with that magic buffing Cactuar doll from Wantz, can dish out nearly 5000 damage a turn.

We can target Mortiorchis and it has the Mortibsortion gimmick like its predecessor, along with the decreasing HP with each revival (Starting at 4,000 HP and capping at a minimum of 1,000 HP.) Attack it is unwise as there's quickly diminished returns less than attacking Seymour directly and Mortiorchis will flip on an auto-counterattack at around 75% of Seymour's total HP.

Seymour himself will quickly wise up and start casting Protect and Shell. He'll also occasionally cast Dispel on the entire party just to be obnoxious.

As with the previous couple battles against Seymour, dropping in any aeons is only worth the effort if they're packing an Overdrive beforehand. At this point, pretty much everything we've got (except maybe Kazooie) ought to have Overdrives hitting the damage cap.

We've got exactly one round to use an aeon on Flux before Seymour will get fed up and eject them from the battle. It's worth noting this counts as a turn and he'll burn another 1500 HP banishing our aeon. Like I said, Poison is really nice when it's working in your favor.

At around 60% HP Seymour will change up tactics and cast Reflect on himself. This is not to deter Lulu's newly revitalized black magic strikes or anything sensible like that. This is another combo attack like the Lance of Atrophy/Full-Life.

We'll just go ahead and Dispel that straight away with Yuna and make Seymour look foolish. For you see, Seymour's plan here is to cast Reflect on himself then follow it up next turn with Flare bouncing off the reflect to hit one of our party members for... some reason. I don't think reflected magic attacks are any more potent. I'm not sure where he was going with that one.

Since Seymour donned in magic catman armor is not particularly bright, despite the Reflect being nixed, he'll still cast Flare on himself for a good 1600 HP of damage. Oh and of course the 1400 HP in poison damage for using a turn. Seymour, stop hitting yourself. You're supposed to be the main villain.

He even gets a sad message saying he done goofed when the Flare combo fails. Seymour just stay dead this time. You're just awful at this.

When Seymour Flux reaches around 33% health, he and his mount decides to stop everything and get serious. This message means Seymour has begun to charge up his super attack. No, not the Cross Cleave. He has a much deadlier one.

At this point, the options are either to top off everyone's health (making sure Auron is up front), hunker down casting Protect on everyone active, and get ready to tank it. Or else going all in offensively and beating Seymour Flux before he can pull off his attack. Which is exactly what I did fairly handily the first time I played the game. This was not THAT Boss for me. The next one was... You know the one.

Anyway, Seymour Flux/Mortiorchis will give us two rounds to prepare before releasing his ultimate attack: Total Annihilation.

...No. Not that! Seymour couldn't come up with something decent.

Instead he'll use Mortiorchis' Tesla Cannon (it has one of those by the way) to fry the entire party for 500-900 HP of damage.

It then follows up with a missile barrage (by the way Mortiorchis has a missile salvo crammed up its butt too) hitting random party members a eight or nine times for 600-800 damage a pop.

And to top it all off, Seymour will go on a bombing run and take an electric poo poo on the party's heads for one last 800-900 HP of damage for the road.

Needless to say, Total Annihilation can gently caress an unprepared party right up. Even prepared an unlucky RNG roll on the missile portion of the attack can down almost any party member outside Auron. And forget it if Kimahri, Lulu, or Rikku are unfortunate enough to be hanging out in the active party.

So the best course of action is to just nip Total Annihilation in the bud before it ever becomes an issue. Between the poison and everyone being fairly well trained by this point, I had Seymour Flux fairly well handled. But I wanted that tasty Overkill AP bonus to send the prick off for the third time. And what better way to send home the Overkill than with a damage limit broken Mega Flare.

And with that Seymour Flux explodes for a bit before dissolving into a swarm of quickly dissipating pyreflies. Spoiler: Of course he's not dead. You could have just cut this boss battle out completely and not missed a beat plot wise.

But hey, we survived and defeated Seymour Filler! Sure, it took a bit of effort and the death of the better part of the Ronso race. But at least we're one step closer to Zanarkand :toot:

Music ends...

Welp. That happened. Again. No need to discuss if Seymour is really dead or going back to see if any Ronso survived his off-screen slaughter. Let's mosey.

"If he becomes Sin, Sir Jecht will be saved."
"We're leaving."

Auron knows more than he's letting on?! Are we talking about the same Auron? Let's see what the man himself has to say...

Just as I thought. Classic Auron. Alright, that's settled. Let's move, folks!

Yuna gives up on Auron ever revealing how far ahead he's read in the script and runs to Tidus...

“Tell me!"
*frown* “...”
”I hate that Seymour guy so much... Tch...”
“Sin's ...my old man.”
"You hit your head?"
“Oh boy... Thank goodness that finally came out. I'd been kinda freaking out about that one since the snowmobile ride.”
“Oh that fine. Jecht son have big reveal. No one pay mind Ronso wiped out. Kimahri just be over here. Last Ronso...” *frown*

”I think that was how it works... Somehow. I dunno. It's weird! But I'm pretty sure it didn't go my Sin became my old man and then went back to being Sin... That'd be messed up.”
“I don't know how or why he did it. I felt him, inside. And when I did, I knew it was true.”
”...Alright the phrasing of that has some terrible double meaning. But you know what I'm getting at.”
“My old man is Spira's suffering. Sorry."

“...knowing that Sin is your father... Still, you know, I must..."
”Well... This probably could have been mentioned soon—“
“Oh NONONO! Nope! You don't get to pull THAT card. Uh-uh!”

“I think my old man would want that."
"You'd fight your own father?"
"Yeah. No problem there."
”Dunno if you'd been listening. I wasn't a fan of the guy even before he became like some kinda doom whale.”
"Uh... 'Bout your old man... You sure this ain't some kinda bad toxin dream or something?”
”No, Wakka. I mean Auron told me this whole thing. I mean if he glares at you if you ask, you'll know it's true.”
*glares*
“See! Told ya.”

“Then, Chappu...”
”Got done in by my old man, the doom whale. Yeah. Kinda a small world in Spira, as it turns out. Super sorry, man.”
“I, uh... I think I'll just pretend I didn't hear nothing. I'm getting a little confused, ya? Why... Why'd all this have to happen?"

You'd think that but nah. We've still got a decent trek... Tune in next time for the weirdest goddamn plot reveal in all of Final Fantasy X!

Video: Episode 90 Highlight Reel

Seymour Flux Concept Art

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 1, 2016

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Those missiles look a bit more like bits/funnels from Gundam, actually. Of course Seymour is a Newtype. Of course he is. :tinfoil:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Those missiles look a bit more like bits/funnels from Gundam, actually. Of course Seymour is a Newtype. Of course he is. :tinfoil:

I don't like the implication that we all slept with trees in space to evolve as a species.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Yeah my experience with this fight was not actually a "That One Boss" roadblock I believe. I mean he took a lot of time to kill but I'm pretty sure I actually beat him first or second shot. THE ONE COMING UP ON THE OTHER HAND I'M PRETTY SURE TOOK ABOUT 90 TRIES.

Of course, this playthrough My Yuna was so strong that a single punch from Bahamut took off 70,000 HP and utterly ruined Seymour's day.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
I think he was able to take me out the first time as well. I wasn't quite as prepared as I thought I was.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

Seymour Flux actually has two tree trunk sized words strapped to his, for lack of a better term, back ready to dish out some pain for this... single seldom used attack... They're mostly for decorations otherwise.

Just missing the "s" here. I don't usually do this but I see others point out typos and stuff so I hope it's okay.

Also, just to drive home the terrible storytelling here, after Seymour is vanquished, Kimahri doesn't even get a line. Tidus gets the final wordto Seymour. Kimahri just stares then turns and walks off.

And t hen of course the group focuses on the big reveal that they're all late to.

It's really evident why everyone thinks Kimahri sucks and is totally irrelevant. Even the game doesn't care about him.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

don't worry, the genocided ronso get better

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Dark Id posted:

It then follows up with a missile barrage (by the way Mortiorchis has a missile salvo crammed up its butt too) hitting random party members a eight or nine times for 600-800 damage a pop.

When you think about it, Mortiorchis is basically firing Ronso corpses packed with explosives at the party.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

AriadneThread posted:

They just went to a nice farm upstate.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Isn't Total Annihilation magic-based? I seem to remember having little trouble surviving it with Shell active.

And the Reflect/self-targeted spell combo is pretty common in Final Fantasy games because it bypasses any Reflect status that might be on the target. Obviously, it doesn't stand up to Dispel, but then it means your opponent has to spend a turn dispelling the effect.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
The game would've been better if this fight didn't exist.

Onmi posted:

Yeah my experience with this fight was not actually a "That One Boss" roadblock I believe. I mean he took a lot of time to kill but I'm pretty sure I actually beat him first or second shot. THE ONE COMING UP ON THE OTHER HAND I'M PRETTY SURE TOOK ABOUT 90 TRIES.

Yeah. I feel you.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Nidoking posted:

Obviously, it doesn't stand up to Dispel, but then it means your opponent has to spend a turn dispelling the effect.

I think in some games in the series Dispel is reflectable itself, so it can't be used to dispel Reflect. I haven't tried it myself because I've only played about half the games and enemy Reflect doesn't come up all that often/status effects :effort:, but I remember seeing it fail in the LP of TAY, which because it ripped 4's engine wholesale should extend to that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, the secret of the Reflect gimmick fight in 4 was that you can beat reflect by reflecting spells off of your own reflect into the enemy.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

AriadneThread posted:

Hey man...about your entire species and family and tribe getting trashed by Seymore...is there anything I can say or do for you that won't be incredibly patronizing? Like, seriously, I want to do something to help but I've also come to the realization that I can come across as a massive rear end in a top hat so I'm asking for help helping you through this.

Kimhari appreciate nancy-boy's concern but he should not worry. Ronso tribe no die.

We just saw Seymore use your tribe's souls as armor, how does that not count as dead?

Ronso tribe long ago master the art of 'bad writing'. Ronso that cannot retcon self back from death is not fit to be member of Ronso tribe.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Reflect chat, don't forget that you could gently caress up and have to restart your PlayStation in 8 if you were loving around and got careless! I remember a boss fight where the boss cast Reflect on herself, and by that point you had the Carbuncle GF, who casts Reflect on the whole party.

Resulting in a spell bouncing back and forth between your party members' Reflect and hers.

Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Don't worry, Seymour forgot about the Ronso Fangs, who are currently in Luca. He didn't really wipe all of them out.

• Locked thread