Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I skipped 12 entirely. If I wanted to deal with MMO-style mechanics I would play the actual Final Fantasy MMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's kind of a shame that the mechanics turned me a bit off too, because FFXII was about as well-thought-out a setting as any FF game ever got. Cosmopolitan with tons of nonhumans running around (more even than I think FFIX), great-looking environments, cool characters.

Balthier's personal Greedo is a Bangaa with a circular saw on the end of his staff!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Speedball posted:

It's kind of a shame that the mechanics turned me a bit off too, because FFXII was about as well-thought-out a setting as any FF game ever got. Cosmopolitan with tons of nonhumans running around (more even than I think FFIX), great-looking environments, cool characters.

Balthier's personal Greedo is a Bangaa with a circular saw on the end of his staff!

Oh wow, I totally forgot about that. It was the Whirligig Saw, years before Bloodborne!

XII's kinda one of the forgotten children of the franchise, which is a shame because it has the best world building of any of the ones I've played or read LPs of in any detail by a wide margin - albeit aided by sharing a continuity with Tactics. I like the plot and dialogue a lot too, once you get past some of the wooden comedy bits early on and the fact that the game as a whole is just a real slow burn for most of it. I think like a full third of that game is "You need to get to this far corner of the world map to do a thing. Here, have a few events and a ton of grinding along the way and then a heavier bout once you get there." It's not necessarily bad in that way, but I do think most people need to want to meet it halfway to get the most out of it.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think it would benefit greatly from a Wind Waker HD type situation where the big open areas are shrunken dramatically. They are kind of neat, but also grievously long for little gain.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You mean like moving 3x as fast or something? :v: IZJS for lyfe.

But yeah, I'm loving it but I can totally understand not.

I wish swapping out party members was more dynamic than pausing, like in X. (haha look i made it relevant)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alaan posted:

I think it would benefit greatly from a Wind Waker HD type situation where the big open areas are shrunken dramatically. They are kind of neat, but also grievously long for little gain.

The Sandsea was a cool design, but it in particular was probably the worst area in the game. It's the first real long trek of the 3 or 4 I can remember in that game, and while an actual rolling ocean of sand dotted by weird refineries and poo poo is pretty cool, it's not cool enough to sustain the 2 goddamn enormous zones you have to hike through to finish it. Putting it as the first big hike of the game, as opposed to other trips that take you through a wider variety of zones, like the hike from the southern desert during the rainy season to the plains to the forest to the holy mountain, was probably one of the game's bigger missteps.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The other races in FF12 are pretty neat, shame the playable cast is five humans and a bunny girl

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Nihilarian posted:

The other races in FF12 are pretty neat, shame the playable cast is five humans and a bunny girl

Yeah, that kinda felt like a missed opportunity, didn't it?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

Yeah, where was my pig guy and lizard guy party members? (At least FFT-A2 let you have those guys as party members)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'd have loved a moogle or one of those masked deer-bird dudes, myself

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Speedball posted:

Yeah, where was my pig guy and lizard guy party members? (At least FFT-A2 let you have those guys as party members)

Or a Nu-Mou (also known as "the magic casters the devs forgotten because they were busy drooling over bunny girls). I'd suggest a Moogle could have been pretty cool since Ivalice Moogles are actually rad dudes instead of mere mascot characters, but we all know if they added a Moogle party member it would have been Montblanc...again. I mean the dude's a cool Moogle, but he already got to be a playable character in FFTA, and a playable cameo in FFTA2 and was a rather important NPC cameo in XII already. Other Moogles need time to shine.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So people were talking about that Figureheads Xenogears crossover thing earlier in the thread, and, well...

Jesus Christ, Weltall, what happened to you?!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Apparently they didn't get the memo that he's supposed to be a kung-fu robot :negative: he looks like a monkey wearing a robot costume.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

At least they didn't cut half of him off

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So people were talking about that Figureheads Xenogears crossover thing earlier in the thread, and, well...

Jesus Christ, Weltall, what happened to you?!

THIS is why you don't give your giant robot 'roids. Sooner or later the hormones go out of control and their nuts explode like balloons getting popped and all that bulk and muscle shrivels up until they're thin gangly motherfuckers who look like they just started freshman year.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

At least they didn't cut half of him off

They did though, they got rid of his back wings that turn into Weltall ID's armour.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Seibzehn definitely came out of that better than Weltall, at least Seibzehn is the same shape, just missing its rocket boosters. Weltall though...that's just wrong. Its arms are way too long in proportion tot he rest of its body.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Derek Barona posted:

THIS is why you don't give your giant robot 'roids. Sooner or later the hormones go out of control and their nuts explode like balloons getting popped and all that bulk and muscle shrivels up until they're thin gangly motherfuckers who look like they just started freshman year.

Don't forget destroying a country or two in his roid rage. The good news is that he cleans up, finds God, reconciled with his father, and starts giving motivational speeches in a new look.

Turns out Xenogears was an elaborate anti-drug story for giant robots.

Nimsant
May 7, 2015
Additional Xenogears video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMHRWrVMJRA

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
....Someone very clearly missed the memo about Weltall being a kung-fu robot. Or the part about ANY of them being JRPG robots, not something from loving Armored Core.

Also, rear end in a top hat sighting confirmed.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Yeah, too much of an Armored Core vibe for sure. I always figured if they were going to make a Xenogears game without the RPG bits it should be a fighting game. It would fit the actual Gears at least.

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!

Derek Barona posted:

....Someone very clearly missed the memo about Weltall being a kung-fu robot.

They were clearly going for the Iron Monkey.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Those weird gangly appendages could never properly uppercut a T-Rex.

Also update later today.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 23, 2016

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I do miss robotpunching in Xenoblade

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Derek Barona posted:

....Someone very clearly missed the memo about Weltall being a kung-fu robot. Or the part about ANY of them being JRPG robots, not something from loving Armored Core.

Also, rear end in a top hat sighting confirmed.

sleepy.eyes posted:

Yeah, too much of an Armored Core vibe for sure. I always figured if they were going to make a Xenogears game without the RPG bits it should be a fighting game. It would fit the actual Gears at least.

Hey woah I will not sit by and take the Armored Core abuse. ACs have good proportions, not arms that are longer than the legs, and don't look like spindly noodlebots.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Welltall with a gun just doesn't feel right. Also Brigandier with no whips. What the hell?

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
It would be so fitting if Citan has Fenrir instead of Heimdal just for the sake of being the only one with an omnigear.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Hey woah I will not sit by and take the Armored Core abuse. ACs have good proportions, not arms that are longer than the legs, and don't look like spindly noodlebots.

Nah, the gears always looked doofy to me. I mean the game play shown doesn't fit Xenogears.

When you get right down to it all giant robots look doofy to me. I do like the AC designs a lot more than Gundam or whatever, though.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I dunno, they could probably make it a decent game with mostly shooting and combat stuff without the JRPG gimmicks. Certainly, nothing bad could come of turning a beloved Squaresoft icon game into a shooter!

...*cough*

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015
That Xenogears gameplay looks a bit too close to "Gundam target in sight" for my taste.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Black_Oni 165 posted:

That Xenogears gameplay looks a bit too close to "Gundam target in sight" for my taste.

That game could only pray to be an eighth as good as EXVS.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CVII: Our Bloodsport Collection

New Music: Besaid Island (Piano Version)

Time to return to the grind of Celestial Weapons. A bit more literally this time around. Today, our goal will be Auron's Celestial Weapon. This is probably the second easiest one to obtain. It's quite easy to get. Just time consuming. Which isn't saying much with most of these godawful time sinks. But this is the sort of easy one where you can just throw on a podcast and zone out while knocking it out.

The prerequisite for Auron's ultimate weapon is the Rusty Sword we discovered back outside the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth. It's just been stuck in the party's Bag of Holding for just such an occasion as this.

The first stop of this journey is Djose Highroad. Rin's teleporter drops us awkwardly on Dead Crusader Beach, which is a decent jog from both Djose Highroad proper and Mushroom Rock to the south. Mushroom Rock itself has no drop off point. I know it said there was one on the map, but that's just for a bonus location where Rikku's Celestial Weapon is hanging out.

Tidus needs to clamber over the fallen wreckage of the Al Bhed's Tesla Device from back during Operation Mi'ihen to even travel south toward Mushroom Rock. But, we don't need to make the full trip there.

Indeed, a levitating platform just a ways west of the Mi'ihen campaign aftermath is our destination. I'm pretty sure this particular road is unavailable until the party reaches Djose Temple proper, since wounded/dead crusaders are hanging out in front of the boxes prior to that. Plus the party gets railroaded to Mushroom Rock before reaching this point.

Regardless of accessibility, at the top of the semi-hidden area contains a statue of Lord Mi'ihen. Somehow, Tidus just innately knows that this is where he should return the rusted sword he found half a continent away.

Placing the Rusty Sword in front of the metal rear end Mi'ihen reveals an emblem on the wall. Tidus seems stoked about it for whatever reason. Guy is easily excitable.

And now if we use the trusty Celestial Mirror on the emblem, it vanishes and the Masamune is obtained.

Tidus clearly cannot be trusted with such a weapon, so Auron immediately appears to take it off his hands. Rikku is here too... for some reason... She literally has nothing to do in this scene. Rikku, your next scene is in lower Mushroom Rock, you dunce.

Auron strikes a few sick poses with his new Masamune. Sorry, it's not a 17-foot katana or the Not-Excalibur this go around. It's kind of ugly, to be honest. Then again, so are most of the Celestial Weapons. Oh well, let's get to powering the thing up, shall we?

The Mars Crest we already obtained way back on the Mi'ihen Old Road. It was at the same place we found the Jecht Sphere last update where the prequel gang were fixin' to battle the Chocobo Eater. Which... stands to reason Team Braska got owned by said Chocobo Eater... Considering that the creature is still around a decade later and that point in the Old Road is where the party ends up if they get knocked off the cliff in the tug of war match against Chocobo Eater.

Nice work, young Auron. Failed to bring up that one, huh?

Now then, about the Mars Sigil. Well, we've already done a bit of the work for this one while knocking out Yuna's Celestial Weapon. Specifically, cleaning up capturing the fiends in The Calm Lands and Mt. Gagazet. The Mars Sigil requires we once more engage with the doldrums of the Monster Arena fiend capturing side quest.

Honestly, I don't see why we don't just kick that feeble old man's rear end and take the loving sigils and prizes he has stashed away. Why are we, the protagonists, engaging in some weird old timer's bloodsport hobby? Remember what happened the last time a bunch of fiends were gathered in a single place? Sin showed up and murdered a few hundred people! Kick that old man in the dick, steal his stuff, and shut down his creepy operation already.

Since such emergent gameplay is not possible in Final Fantasy X, we'll have to stick to the script. That script being completing 10 Conquest challenges in the Monster Arena. Conquest challengers are broken into two groups: Area Conquests which mean we have captured one of every fiend in a specific region. And Species Conquests, which means we have captured one of every fiend palette swapped model in the game.

What this really means is... we pretty much just need to go clean out every other area in the game of fiend captures. We've already done the Calm Lands and Gagazet. So that's two down.

Right here are all the spawns for Besaid Island. Water Flan, Dingo, Condor. It takes all of a minute to knock out Besaid.

For the purposes of Monster Hunting, we're just going to want to roll with Wakka, Auron, and Tidus the entire time. Tidus now has Deathstrike on his Capture weapon, while Wakka has Stonestrike. Both of these will speed things up considerably, since Death/Stone counts as an instant capture. Auron just has Piercing. But Auron can get by just dealing 9999 damage until we break his damage cap after this side quest. Not that any of this matters the first few areas, since the trio will be OHKOing everything in the area.

The next stop is Kilika Woods. This is another quickie. All we need are:
  • Dinonix
  • Killer Bee
  • Yellow Element
  • Ragora

I'm not going over what these jerks all are again. There was a write-up the first time around. There are literally only 14 random battle enemy models, barring like maybe another half dozen unique one-offs. Take a guess from the name and you're probably right as to which palette swap family it belongs to!

Anyway, Kilika takes only a couple minutes to clear out. Everything can be done the first screen into Kilika Woods. It'll probably take more time running through Kilika Village to get there than to actually clean out the area.

• Mi'ihen Fang
  • Ipiria
  • Floating Eye
  • White Element
  • Raldo
  • Vouivre
  • Bomb
  • Dual Horn

This one took about twenty minutes, just because the random battle spawn was being disagreeable (I never want to see another Mi'ihen, Floating Eye, White Element mob again in my life.) Also Vouivre and Ipiria only spawn on the Old Road. So that's an annoying detour.

It's worth mentioning now that there is some area overlap. The Thunder Flan also spawns on the Old Road, but it is considered a Mushroom Rock region fiend. But capturing here counts just the same as if we'd nabbed it in the proper region. Similarly, Vouivre and Ipiria also spawn in Mushroom Rock as well if you don't wanna take the Old Road detour. I was doing this side quest alongside the Jecht Sphere collection. So whatever...

• Raptor
  • Gandarewa
  • Thunder Flan
  • Red Element
  • Lamashtu
  • Funguar
  • Garuda

Here's the Mushroom Rock line-up. That is, everything past the checkpoint where the party met Seymour properly for the first time up until the wreckage of the Al Bhed war machine. This area took ten minutes tops and can all be cleaned out the first screen of Mushroom Rock.

• Garm
  • Simurgh
  • Bite Bug
  • Snow Flan
  • Bunyip
  • Basilisk
  • Ochu

The Djose Road region is considered to be everything past the Dead Crusader Bridge up to Guadosalam. Everything but Ochu can be gotten the first screen of the highroad proper. Only Ochu is in the forested region around the Moonflow. Another fifteen minute or so task.

• Melusine
  • Aerouge
  • Buer
  • Gold Element
  • Kusariqqu
  • Larva
  • Iron Giant
  • Qactuar
Thunder Plains took about 20 minutes to clear out. Mostly because Iron Giants are a semi-rare encounter only on the northern half of the region and Qactuar are just rare in general. There's a higher chance of 'em near the Qactuar stones but the RNG was just not liking me.

• Snow Wolf
  • Iguion
  • Wasp
  • Evil Eye
  • Ice Flan
  • Blue Element
  • Murussu
  • Mafdet
  • Xiphos
  • Chimera

Macalania is considered both the frozen lake and the magical forest of backtracking and pond boning. So obviously Snow Wolf and Ice Flan only appear in the former. Evil Eye too for some reason. I mean, it does have an ice cold stare. :v:

This one took about twenty minutes as well. Like 18 minutes for the woods portion and two for the frozen part. The latter mob will all spawn together almost immediately.

• Sand Wolf
  • Alcyone
  • Mushussu
  • Zuu
  • Sand Worm
  • Cactuar

This frikkin' area took like half an hour to finish, despite the small fiend pool to capture. Chiefly, because Rin's airship dumps you at the very beginning of the region and Zuu, Sand Worms, and Cactuar only spawn in the far north. Even then, those three are semi-rare. And really goddamn rare in the Cactuar's case. Sand Worm is still a mountain of HP you cannot cheese with Overdrives or magic, lest the capture be lost by accident.

I hate desert levels.

• Yowie
  • Imp
  • Dark Element
  • Nidhogg
  • Thorn
  • Valaha
  • Epaaj
  • Ghost
  • Tonberry

Now this motherfucker, the Sunken Cave, as the lazy prick Monster Arena proprietor files it, took me nearly 45 minutes to clean up. Mostly because Ghosts and Tonberries only spawn at the very far northern corners of the dungeon and have an obscenely low spawn rate.

Also couple that with Magic Urn, that gimmicky sonuvabitch, deciding he wanted to play, instead of a worthwhile random battle, literally 16 times. I counted. Yeah, gently caress that 30 seconds of running in a circle. Magic loving Urn is here and he wants to run the Waste Everyone's Goddamn Time 2016 Marathon! He doesn't even count in the monster hunting since he's literally invincible! :argh:

Thankfully, that is all we need for our Monster Arena collection. Zanarkand doesn't have anything for the Monster Arena, as the outdoor area shares a spawn list with the high tier Gagazet creatures. The Zanarkand Dome is all humanoid and robot enemies, both of which also don't count toward any Monster Arena listing. Slightly unethical and/or Yevon taboo. Bloodsport with normal fiends is totally kosher, though!

Omega Ruins also has a pool of monsters, as does ~*~ THE FINAL DUNGEON ~*~ but those are another story for another day.

Let's just go claim our prize.

“Hmm... You seem to be worthy of this prize.”

And that's it. We've obtained the Mars Sigil. I'll never get that two hours of my life back. Are you entertained you loving savages?!

This old rear end in a top hat has a whole mess of prizes and new monsters for the party to likely get worked by challenge, should we wish to partake. Eh. I'll show off what the Monster Arena bosses are another time. Not that I'm going to fight them beyond a “Can the Magus Sisters handle this?” Litmus Test. But that is for another day...

We are going to wrap up this side quest and scratch another off the Celestial Weapon checklist.

Masamune is now imbued with the usual Triple Overdrive and Break Damage Limit. This Celestial Weapon also has First Strike, meaning Auron will go first in all battles and thus negating ambushes if he is in the starter team. And Counterattack is self explanatory. You take a swing at Auron, you'd best not miss... Speaking of which, hitting Auron and failing to kill him is just a mistake now. Check this out.

Auron's Masamune has a unique damage modifier formula. It's actually stronger the less HP he has when landing an attack:
The damage modifier formula is:

(130 - [100 * Auron's current HP ÷ Auron's Max HP]) ÷ 60

So Auron deals half damage at 100% health, full damage at 70% HP, double damage at 10% of HP and at 1 HP he deals 216% damage. Sure, why not? Auron doesn't fear death. He already walked it off the first time!

Only three Celestial Weapons remain. Rikku's is pretty easy, just kind of dumb. Tidus' is probably tied for worst mini-game. And Wakka's is a loving never-ending nightmare of Blitzball.

Stay tuned for more adventures in Final Fantasy X's Endgame! :suicide:

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 24, 2016

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I just assumed that there was more than one Chocobo Eater, or that enough time had passed that enough fiends/pyreflies had just coalesced into a new one by the time Tidus and company rolled around :shrug: I want to say he shows up in X-2 as well, but I haven't read that LP in a while.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I love how Masamune's attack multiplier just doesn't give a gently caress, just like its owner. With minimal grinding to take on the arena or other garbage Auron will do 99999 even at full health in no time. Even though I know it isn't true, I swear the math is bugged and takes his max possible (i.e what'd show up if you decided to waste a slot on Break HP limit on an armor) as the MaxHP variable.

Anyone else? Yeah, you need to keep your poo poo together or it'll drop fast or need to grind to keep it strong. Auron? Two words :fuckoff:

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 24, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The Dark Id posted:

And that's it. We've obtained the Mars Sigil. I'll never get that two hours of my life back. Are you entertained you loving savages?!

Yes, actually :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh. I recognize that sword now. One of the three girls in X-2 wielded the Masamune in the Samurai form. (And Yuna, when in Blademaster form, wielded Tidus' Brotherhood, ahha)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Speedball posted:

Huh. I recognize that sword now. One of the three girls in X-2 wielded the Masamune in the Samurai form. (And Yuna, when in Blademaster form, wielded Tidus' Brotherhood, ahha)

Rikku gets the Masamune in X-2, actually.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

W.T. Fits posted:

Rikku gets the Masamune in X-2, actually.

So what you're saying is she appeared in the above cutscene just to go "When you're gone, this is mine, old man"?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
You'd think that they'd have made a weapon for a guy so samurai themed at least a little less unwieldy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Geostomp posted:

You'd think that they'd have made a weapon for a guy so samurai themed at least a little less unwieldy.

Your statement assumes two things:

1: This is not a JRPG, and as such 'reality' has a place in it.
2: Auron gives a gently caress how 'unwieldy' his weapon is.

• Locked thread