Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Derek Barona posted:

That's because it's the same team. The team that made Final Fantasy Legends 1 and 2, Re: SaGa 1 and 2, was then assigned to make Final Fantasy 2 and the FF team was assigned to FFL/SaGa 3. That's why both games feel like such a huge switcheroo on one another, with FF2 having grinder mechanics instead of a normal level system and SaGa 3 having levels instead of 1 and 2's equipment-based stat growth, because they legitimately were swapped.

Final Fantasy II (December 17, 1988) came out nearly a full year before Makai Toushi Sa·Ga (December 15, 1989). SaGa 3 was the very first project Squaresoft's then new Osaka team did (they did Mystic Quest afterwards).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

Final Fantasy II is the best Final Fantasy and I will fight whoever says otherwise.

alright man, you and me, high noon, the blitzball dome, let's do this

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Nimsant posted:

I have missed some FFs, and forgotten some endings, but all these villains were beaten by player party, which is usually a small bunch of teenagers.

I think this is why I like the Kefka battle. You go up against a living god with everything you have, all at once. A half-human hybrid, two career soldiers, a king, his train-suplexing brother, a career thief, a career swindler, an ancient mage, his bratty daughter, an assassin, a wild child, a yeti, a mime, and a dancing moogle.
Ok... those last few are a bit odd, but it works out.

Nimsant
May 7, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

If you haven't played it my friend, I recommend Xenogears. The villains are all about POWER there and none of the important ones ever lose to a group of teenagers.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Even better, TDI did an LP of it and it's in the archives! :v: Go read it!

Thank you! I have played Xenogears until the point where you need to climb a tower in robots, and I like the game until this point.

I have also read that LP (Thank you, Dark Id)

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I'm just going to leave this here since I think any Taro Yoko related stuff is welcome in a TDI thread:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

akkristor posted:

I think this is why I like the Kefka battle. You go up against a living god with everything you have, all at once. A half-human hybrid, two career soldiers, a king, his train-suplexing brother, a career thief, a career swindler, an ancient mage, his bratty daughter, an assassin, a wild child, a yeti, a mime, and a dancing moogle.

FFVII has you go up against the last boss with a schizophrenic army washout, a literal terrorist, a black belt bartender, a talking dog, a corporate exec remote-operating a giant stuffed animal, a space ship pilot, a teenage ninja princess, and a dude who has spent the last 20 years in a self-induced coma.

This is kinda fun.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Heaven Spacey posted:

FFVII has you go up against the last boss with a schizophrenic army washout, a literal terrorist, a black belt bartender, a talking dog, a corporate exec remote-operating a giant stuffed animal, a space ship pilot, a teenage ninja princess, and a dude who has spent the last 20 years in a self-induced coma.

This is kinda fun.

Also, you're fighting a dude who has direct control over the frail husk of an elder god that nearly destroyed the entirety of society through mind control, and who has direct control over anybody spliced with his genetics, which includes the army washout who hands him the doomsday device needed to destroy the world.

You beat him by first destroying first his semi-corporeal form, and then having the army washout literally destroy the very concept of the main villain's existence in his mind, because he's destroying the residual control the villain has over him despite the main villain already being fuckin dead.

I just finished reading the FFVII a little bit ago, Sephiroth is just an extremely loving cool final boss that only works because of an extremely loving cool main cast, and I'm really happy to discover how genuinely interesting he is as a villain instead of the false notion I previously held that he was just a mama's boy who goes crazy and kills some folk. :allears:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Nimsant posted:

Different superpower traits of villains have been mentioned, but to me, no one seems great enough.

I have missed some FFs, and forgotten some endings, but all these villains were beaten by player party, which is usually a small bunch of teenagers.

So, just like Sin here, no FF villain impresses me in terms of power.

In the interests of fairness, the FF9 party never actually beats Kuja. To the very end he is capable of one-shotting the party whenever he feels like it.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
No love for the villain of Dimensions? I mean he's... um... OK, he's pretty much Exdeath without the benefit of funny lines or being an evil tree. But at least the crystals thought he was enough of a threat to shatter themselves and rip the world in half in an attempt to stop him. That's at least something, right?

Oh who am I kidding, the villain in that game was lame.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

akkristor posted:

Heaven Spacey posted:

This is kinda fun.

Ooh, ooh! Me next! I'll do FFVIII.

You beat a time-traveling Sorceress from the future with...um....some kids from the local high school that pretends its also a military academy. But it flies! As for the party, it consists of....um...well, one guy likes hotdogs and the other girl likes trains! That's cool and colorful, right?

God, it really is the worst.

Even if this was FF2 I could say "well, one of the guys speaks Beaver."

Incidentally, I think Chrono Cross would take the cake when it comes to "describe the heroes in a succinct and awesome way."

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 21, 2016

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
FF5 gave you a princess, a former princess turned pirate, the son of a legendary warrior and explorer, and a retired warrior with his granddaughter, fighting a tree made in the void who can turn the entire world into the void if he feels like it.

The fact that you can curbstomp the tree with a thousand different methods is less that the tree is weak, and more that your party is probably the strongest party in all FFs so far.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Beefstew posted:

I'm just going to leave this here since I think any Taro Yoko related stuff is welcome in a TDI thread:

This explains a lot. I love that man.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Beefstew posted:

So I just decided to try to friend him on facebook. I don't like using my facebook, though. I hate facebook. Yet here I am, trying to friend-up our favorite Sith Lord.

Nimsant
May 7, 2015
I am following him on twitter. A lot of posts about food

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
The point is I hate facebook.

Stealth edit to make this more on track: Do you think Seymour would be one of them facebook stalkers? Because he just totally seems like that kind of guy that would creep on other people's (Yuna's) profiles. Or maybe that's just me?

bman in 2288 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 21, 2016

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Eeepies posted:

FF5 gave you a princess, a former princess turned pirate, the son of a legendary warrior and explorer, and a retired warrior with his granddaughter, fighting a tree made in the void who can turn the entire world into the void if he feels like it.

The fact that you can curbstomp the tree with a thousand different methods is less that the tree is weak, and more that your party is probably the strongest party in all FFs so far.

You are wrong. You have three princesses (previously an amnesiac old man) and a hobo who undoubtedly smells like a chocobo fighting an angry tree.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k

bman in 2288 posted:

So I just decided to try to friend him on facebook. I don't like using my facebook, though. I hate facebook. Yet here I am, trying to friend-up our favorite Sith Lord.

He friended me back in less than an hour.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Beefstew posted:

Hell, same.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Don't forget how in Final Fantasy 3, you're not teens.

You're a group of orphaned preteens playing at being heroes when you kill a turtle and the crystal goes "Yep, this is who's gonna save the world" and go on to stab an angry, evil wizard(who is angry because he used to be immortal and was given the lovely gift of 'mortality' when his peers got 'full control over dreams' and 'mastery of magic') and then the very manifestation of the dark world's primal force.

FF3 is a weird game.

No, FF3DS doesn't count, it was somehow even more rear end than FF3.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
So, in related stuff to things TDI has played, I've been playing Virtue's Last Reward since Zero Escape 3 is coming out in June. I remembered that three of the characters in that game; Alice, Dio and Zero III are voiced by, well, Zero, Cent and Mikhail. Now who wants to imagine our baby dragon as some snarky dragon pun making AI?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Giving Yoko Taro an in on finding your location seems... shortsighted.

John Smith

My best friend just got hit by a car, he's paralysed and might not make it :(

Yoko Taro LOL

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kobold eBooks posted:

evil wizard(who is angry because he used to be immortal and was given the lovely gift of 'mortality' when his peers got 'full control over dreams' and 'mastery of magic') and then the very manifestation of the dark world's primal force.

I love how the game tries to present him as a terrible person because of this.

I also imagine that he's angry because he probably has less screentime than Zemus despite being the main villain of the game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I love how the game tries to present him as a terrible person because of this.

I also imagine that he's angry because he probably has less screentime than Zemus despite being the main villain of the game.

In fairness, he kind of did engulf almost all of the world in darkness in his rush to save his rear end from the effects of mortality.

Still makes his master kind of lovely, though, especially considering the powers he bestowed on his other students.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Regalingualius posted:

In fairness, he kind of did engulf almost all of the world in darkness in his rush to save his rear end from the effects of mortality.

Still makes his master kind of lovely, though, especially considering the powers he bestowed on his other students.

Obviously, the master was of the belief that living forever is boring and actually a curse and whatnot, but honestly, who the gently caress was he kidding? I bet the other two weren't complaining about their gifts. "Yeah, congrats on getting the 'best' gift *snicker*. We'll be over here being undying and all-powerful if you need anything, loser."

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CXVI: Our Loose Ends

"We must go to him."
"Then we will! Let me take front!"
"Good luck."
"Follow me!"

Yeah, actually everyone just wanders off before that dialog concludes. Anyway, welcome to the final dungeon of Final Fantasy X: Inside Sin. Which we will be exploring... next time! We've got a few very final loose ends to take care of now that the last area has unlocked. Don't worry, we can just hop back onto our airship at any time and fly right out of Sin at any time.

Apparently, the doom whale destroyer of Spira is just hovering over Bevelle functioning as an airship accessible gateway for our party's convenience from now until the credits roll. That must be real confusing and uncomfortable for the poor clueless saps down in the city.

Music: Attack

It's eternally twilight on the ol' ship bridge now that we're on the final stretch of the game. Phew... It's almost over! Only took ehh... it'll probably be about a month short of four years from the start of the original thread and the completion of its second pass... Huh...

gently caress... I'm never doing anything Final Fantasy again.

Aaaaaaanyway! Now that we're well and truly into the last portion of Final Fantasy the Tenth, the party now all has some closing dialogue to reflect the end of our journey. Let's see what they have to say before we get our Spira wrap-up underway.

“Ehh... Okay.”
"Really? I'm great... thanks to you."
”Yeah, I bet.” *finger guns*
“...Huh?”
*sigh* “Forget it.”

"We're almost done."

”Ugh. Yeah... Not gonna be puffing out my chest and start parading around going 'I'm the best'. At least not until we beat my old man.”
“Hmm?”
“You'd know what I mean if you'd met him. Err... you know... before he was Sin and all. Nevermind. If we're not the best guardians, at least we'll go down in history as the last ones. Haha!”
“...Not funny.”
“It's a little funny.”

"You know, your meeting Yuna was really quite..."
“...”
"Can't say 'Praise be to Yevon' anymore, can we?"
”Man... That has to be the longest stretch of trolling in history. Whatever this Yu Yevon dude is, he knows how to run a heck of a long con.”

“AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!”
”Well, my eardrums are bleeding. Thanks. Didn't need to hear to go fight Yu Yevon or anything.”
“Oh... sorry...”
“What?”
“...”

"Once the Calm starts, we'll take the airship to your Zanarkand!"
”Yeah... that'll... be great...”
"Just a feeling, but I think my dad kinda likes you.”
”Does he usually threaten to demolish people's asses with his boot the first time he meets anyone?”
“Mostly. Yeah... sounds about right.”
“Just checking.”

"All Spira's rooting for us! Let's not let them down, ya?"
“...”
"And to think, if you hadn't come floating out of the sea that day."

Wakka, please do not point out that most of this narrative is stitched together by a series of incredibly unlikely events frequently hand-waved by “Sin arbitrarily did a thing because something... something... Jecht's influence...?”. The plot is already held together by duct-tape and glue at this final stretch. Don't pick at the early seams.

"When this is all over, I will leave. I have played at life too long."
“...”
“Ten years ago... I honored Jecht's last words, and traveled to Zanarkand.”
”Yeah... how did you get to my Zanarkand, again?”
“Do not worry about it.”
“No seriously...”
*glares*
“Fiiine.”

“I planned to stay there, watching over you. But when Sin attacked Zanarkand that day, I changed my mind. Outside the dream world, life can be harsh -- even cruel. But it is life. He wanted you to have a shot at life. I saw it in Sin's eyes. That's why I brought you here, to Spira."
“And the stopping the summoner pilgrimages, killing Yunalesca, and now the whole defeating Sin, who is now my old man, thing?”
“...Well. Perhaps.”

Last, but... yeah alright, objectively least. Kimahri is hanging out in the hallway with Rin like a weirdo.

"Kimahri felt friendship from somewhere inside Sin."
”Big guy, I like you and all. But if that's what you felt from my pops, it wasn't for you. Trust me, that guy would clown on you all day long. He'd make those two bully Ronso you beat up look tame.”
*frown*

"There is no need for fear. Kimahri will go with you."

See that above? In true Square developed RPG featuring a beastman form, Kimahri has exactly one more line beyond this in the rest of the game. And that was optional. In truth, barring the Affection Mechanic business lines, Kimahri's last mandatory speaking screen time was... back when he suggested they go see Maester Mika after Zanarkand. So for the entirety of the actual plot related end of game events and final dungeon, he has one single line. Good stuff.

Anyway, lack of representation of Ronso folk aside, let's return to the task at hand.

The game makes no effort to point this out, but a series of optional scenes have unlocked now that we can travel Inside Sin. They involve returning to the newly reopened to the party temples of Yevon. We can return to each of the temples and have an audience with the Fayth to gain some insight into what the heck is going on with the whole Yu Yevon, Dream of the Fayth, and Tidus' status in the equation ordeal.

Not all of the temples, mind you. Baaj Temple offers nothing to us. Seymour's Mom is not taking any further visitors. And Ghost Kid said his piece during our last visit to Bevelle, as that temple is inaccessible during normal gameplay. So we'll just go ahead down the line and retrace our pilgrimage steps starting with Besaid...

Music: Hymn of the Fayth

There is one aggravating bit to visiting the first handful of temples. One I'll be editing out here...

Yeah... all the goddamn Cloister of Trials have reset. So I have to do the lot of 'em again. Had to stuff just a wee bit more padding here before the finishing line, didn't you FFX? I know the Cloisters reset to give players the chance to go back and do the Destruction Sphere puzzles. But I did those! You cannot tell me it was impossible to make a temple cleared state that just skips to the Chamber of the Fayth. Nobody on this planet was clamoring for yet another run at these mediocre puzzle dungeons just for shits and giggles. And if there was such broken a person, you could have just made it optional.

drat it...

So bear in mind, that's a good ten minutes of my life I'm never getting back between each shot here. Not even taking into account the five minute travel time just to get to the drat temple. Rin, why is the teleporter to Besaid Island on the beach by the ferry and not, I don't know, the goddamn village where people live and 95% of the content on the island resides?! :argh:

Music: Song of Prayer ~ Valefor

It's a bit weird to me that they made all these Fayth scenes optional. The developers went to all the effort of creating and rendering fairly intricate unique Fayth stones designs to decorate each of the Chambers of the Fayth. But unless the player goes out of their way to do this mini-quest, over half of them are never seen.

They did, however, not go to the effort of creating unique models for the fayth ghosts themselves. I'm fairly certain this is just a recycled generic female NPC wandering around Besaid.

“Sin prays. It curses its form, it prays for dissolution. Sin sees dreams of its own destruction. Sin is looking at us.”

“Free him from Yu Yevon. Free him -- the fayth that has become Sin."

Visiting the Fayth does cough up some tangible rewards to go alongside the cryptic monologues. Mostly in the form of fairly uncommon spheres.

After the chat ends, we are also free to loot the Chamber of the Fayth. What? Yevon's brand is in such tainted shambles at this point that they'll have to scrub the whole thing and reboot their whole organization to gain any traction. Which they totally do, as NEW Yevon in Final Fantasy X-2. :v:

Plundering Kazooie's Chamber of the Fayth nets a Hi-Potion, an Elixir, a White Magic Sphere, and 2 regular rear end potions. Talk about a crap-shoot loot haul.

One down, several more to go. Next we have the relatively unspoiled by Endgame content Kilika to have our concluding visit.

Sheesh, Kilika. It's been a few months and you've not even begun rebuilding your wrecked village or sent a mason over to begin repairing the temple path up to your temple? It feels like Spira folks are just plain lazy with ruin clean up. I suspect that district of Bevelle that was leveled by Sin's body slam will remain in a sorry state for years to come. Ha. Even in Final Fantasy X-2 Bevelle's city proper gains all of a single new screen.

Gossip word of Bevelle getting wrecked, which happened all of a couple hours ago, has reached the far reaches of Kilika. But pulling some broken boards out of the water or clearing the way of bricks on a pilgrimage path? That's asking too much of these lowly Yevonites.

Music: Song of Prayer ~ Ifrit

Nice cap, bozo. The big orange X's really speak to me.

“Your father touched Sin and became real that night, foundering in the seas of Spira. How sad now, that he is caught in the tragic spiral. He is Sin. He is lost."

Nobody mentions how it's funny the entire crux of Final Fantasy X's story hinges on the fact that Jecht happened to get super shitfaced and went out boating one day at just the right time to bump into Sin while it was zoning out nearby.

Our grocery haul from Kilika's Chamber of the Fayth also includes an Agility Sphere, a Defense Sphere, and an Accuracy Sphere. McGruff has some alright loot. Hi-Potions? Normal rear end potions? My weakest party members have like 4,000 HP game. C'mon. What are you even playing at?

Luca does not have any temples or fayth for us to visit, obviously. And I'd rather stick my dick in a vise than play another round of blitzball the rest of my life. There is, however, one fairly reoccurring character's storyline that concludes here.

It's easy to miss, since it involves visiting the Luca Sphere Theater, aka the relic from the game being released in 2001 before everyone had high speed internet and Youtube existed. Remember noted scumbag merchant, O'aka XIII? Turns out he's hanging out here post-Bevelle Highroad revisit.

"Hey, weren't you in prison?
"Nah, those monks are pushovers, I tell ye! I'll fleece any priest, or my name's not O'aka!"
*cringe*
"Sorry. It was our fault they locked you up.”
"No problem! Anything for a customer, eh? You know... I had a sister. Wantz's older sister, you see. A summoner, she was. Went on pilgrimage at a young age. And that was it. Aaah... Me and Wantz, well, neither of us were fighters enough to be guardians. I think about it every day, I do. If we could've helped her. Least I can do is try to help another summoner, I figure. And Lady Yuna, she looks so much like..."
"Eh?"
"I-It's nothing."
"Say, thanks."

And that's it for O'aka. Sorry, pal. Your sympathetic backstory doesn't really cut it when you were still price gouging us and people going off to their deaths to make a quick buck. All the while following us around for a payday because you were genre savvy enough to recognize we were the game's protagonists. And then sending your little brother to the top of a mountain summoners regularly get eaten or freeze to death on in order to continue bringing in money? Pretty lovely!

O'aka XIII? Kindly gently caress off.

Our next destination is Djose Temple. Of course our only options are a five minute walk from either the Moonflow or the Mushroom Rock end of the Djose Highroad. Hey, Brother? You seem a competent enough pilot. You think you could just drop us off at the temple and let us throw Rin's teleportation system into the ocean? It sucks rear end.

It's worth noting there was supposed to be a scene when we approached Djose Temple of Dona and Barthello having quit the pilgrimage. But, it's not triggering and it seems like its failing to fire is somewhat common.

Here's a link to the scene in question.

Dona decides to quit her pilgrimage and go visit Barthello's homeland of muscular baby men, leaving Sin to Yuna other summoners. She's pleased to hear of our plan of defeating Sin by defeating Sin. Barthello flexes for us. The end. We saved her a disappointing trip to an empty Zanarkand. You can thank us anytime.

Music: Song of Prayer ~ Ixion

Uhhhhh...? Did we... did we arrive at a bad time, guy? We can... like... come back later...? You seem... busy...

Now that's just rude. Look, guy. I'm sorry about the Thorse name for your dog summon. It wasn't my idea! This is just how democracy works.

“You reminded us we must go forward. Yes, we must run. Let us go, you who share our dreaming. Come, and we will run till the dream's end."

Additional pillage loot: An Agility Sphere and a Magic Defense Sphere. Thorse... you always were kind of disappointing.

Guadosalam offers nothing but moody tree elves lamenting the end of the world and falling into despair after the death of their beloved parricidal leader's demise.

Music: Wandering Flame

But, we can take a quick spin back into the Farplane to have a last scene with noted creepy butler and only other named living Guado, Tromell. Might as well close out all the optional scenes in one go here, eh?

“The days spent in your service were the best in this old man's life. Those of us left behind will soon be destroyed by Sin and join you in the Farplane. I will serve you there as I have served you in this world, always.”

Seymour Guado? Better or worse than Donald Trump? That's a toss-up right there.

One more temple to go where I have to redo the lousy Cloister of Trials. This is the final time we have to go back to the greater Macalania region for any reason! Thank gently caress! :toot:

Macalania's Cloister had the weird thing where it activated after the summoner, and any fools unfortunate enough to enter this chamber of sliding puzzle misery, had already entered the far side of the area.

Hey, remember the time we murdered Seymour in this room? Good memories. I'm glad it only took two more attempts to make it stick. Certainly, Seymour Guado is undone for good nowadays.

Definitely feels strange they have this whole nifty looking under-passage to the Chamber of the Fayth at the temple's bottom as an optional area. Additionally, how did this place even get built? What would have happened if say, I don't know, Sin rumbled a bit too loud and shattered the ice supporting the massive structure?

Music: Song of Prayer ~ Shiva

“But do not weep, nor rise in anger. Even we were once human. That is why we must dream. Let us summon a sea in a new dream world. A new sea for you to swim."

Nothing out of the party with the fayth mostly directly speaking to Tidus and talking about how he is going to wink out of existence? Not a thing to add questioning this, Yuna? Naw.

Oh well, take this and another Accuracy and Magic Defense Sphere. Lest you fade away into the incorporeal dreamscape of Spira's beyond.

While I said we cannot return to Ghost Kid's Chamber of the Fayth, there is an additional scene we can view by returning to Bevelle's Highbridge. This one's timing is kind of off since the only way it makes sense is if instead of going straight to battle Sin after Bevelle, we immediately turned around returned to Bevelle. Which kind of kills pacing. But Final Fantasy X is all about those choice pacing speed bumps.

Returning to Bevelle this last time brings us in front of Maroda and Pacce. If you have understandably forgotten who these clowns where, they're Isaaru's brothers and guardians of little importance. Let's see what they're doing hanging out here.

“Bevelle is off limits by the temple's decree. No one may enter."

“And it's been morning for days now!"
”Didn't Mika croak like... yesterday?”
“I know! Sheesh. Get over it.”

"Pacce... At least, that's what they say. The temple's falling apart with all four maesters gone. They're afraid of riots, so they're turning everyone away. With our brother in the middle..."
"What's up with Isaaru?"
"They came crying to him to stay in Bevelle, protect the temple and all that. And you know our brother. It's not in him to refuse."
”So... your brother and that Shelinda lady are in charge of Yevon now...?”
*shrug* “Yep... pretty much... somehow...”
*stink face* “Good luck with that...”

"Oh, I guess our pilgrimage is done, then, huh?"
"Of course not! Geez...”
“Oh yeah... You didn't hear? Pilgrimages are kinda done now.”
“What do you mean?”
“Yeah, me and my friends killed that Yunalesca lady up in Zanarkand at the end. No more Final Aeons.”
“What... But... What about Sin?!”
“Did you... like... not see the whole airship battle against Sin thing?”
“What...? I just arrived in town to help my brother. I...”
“...Yeah dude. You should like maybe ask around for recent events. You missed some real crazy crap earlier today!”
“...I'm just gonna stick to my job.”

“Long story short... You'll only find trouble in Bevelle. I'd stay out for your own safety."

We can talk to the pair one more time before departing.

“I just can't believe it. I mean, the Al Bhed helped us out!"
”Lot of weird rumors lately. Like right where you're standing, Seymour murdered that Maester Kinoc guy and used him to make a big fruity suit of armor. Then my friends and I killed him again. All that. Right where your feet are!”
“...Now you're just making stuff up.”

"Wait all you want. Bevelle's gates are closed."

“And... he's says he's sorry, too."
”Not sure why?”
“He tried to kill her.”
“Pfft... Naw. That doesn't sound like my brother.”

"I heard something funny the other day. If a flying ship sings, we're supposed to sing along! And they say that will beat Sin!"
“Okay, kid. You and your brother REALLY need to catch up on current events here.”

And that's a wrap on Bevelle. Our last stop in the Pilgrimage reunion tour takes us, of course, back to the Calm Lands for one closing romp. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Our first stop is back to the doubly abandoned Remiem Temple to speak with the Fayth of Ozzie, Slash, and Flea. Heck, we barely even acknowledged they had a Chamber of the Fayth. It's worth noting that they're the only Fayth that do not get their own unique Song of Prayer track.

Music: Hymn of the Fayth

Real loose dress code for the Magus Sisters Fayth, huh?

“Why did we stay on in Spira? We had forgotten for so long. We had forgotten to move forward. We had forgotten to change.”

Anyway, have a Defense Sphere! That's it. No additional loot from the two optional aeon chambers. :effort:

The final destination of our meet and greet with the Fayth takes us back to the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth to go chat up the least used aeon from my playthrough for the LP: Good old PayToWin's unreliable rear end.

Music: Song of Prayer ~ Bodyguard

“Spira will not forget its reality, nor the one who saved it. Run, dream; run on. Pass beyond the waking, and walk into the daylight.

And heck, have a Strength Sphere while you're at it! Now get the hell out of my office unless you've got more gil to spend.

And that concludes all the optional scenes in Final Fantasy X. We're purely on the fast track to main plot and the ending here on out. Man... we're almost done with this goddamn game!

As I said, Sin serves no function at present but floating in the sky and providing a gate-keeping service for the party to finally get off their asses and jump into his belly.

Tune in next for, properly, the final dungeon of Final Fantasy X: Within Sin!

Video: Episode 116 Highlight Reel

Valefor Fayth Concept Art

Ifrit Fayth Concept Art

Ixion Fayth Concept Art

Shiva Fayth Concept Art

Magus Sisters Fayth Concept Art

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 22, 2016

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I mean, I could see the intent if Xande was already the most powerful of the three by far, but was also an rear end about it, in order to try teaching him some humility. Obviously, that just backfired horribly into "I'll just freeze the flow of time to still be immortal," which eventually caused the creation of the final boss, so... Yeah, the master really hosed up on reading Xande's character.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

The Dark Id posted:

Magus Sisters Fayth Concept Art

...Is it me or has Cindy been reduced to just her rear end when she got turned into a Fayth?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Our next destination is Djose Temple. Of course our only option are a five minute walk from either the Moonflow or the Mushroom Rock end of the Djose Highroad. Hey, Brother? You seem a competent enough pilot. You think you could just drop us off at the temple and let us throw Rin's teleportation system into the ocean? It sucks rear end.

Whats really infuriating, is that at least the optional treasure areas show a gigantic rear end harpoon next to the savepoint, implying the loving airship is right above your head. There is absolutely no reason you couldn't just anchor anywhere. gently caress Rin and his lousy rear end George Takei imitations.

Also, not seen in that screenshot is that these guys rush right at you, early on they basically scream "DIE TRAITORS LOLOL JK!"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Is there some rule why Fayth statues all got petrified face-down?

If I have to be frozen for eternity I don't want people to address my rear end.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Speedball posted:

Guess you just aren't faith material then

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Speedball posted:

It's less creepy than the the face of your frozen corpse sticking out, I guess. Does Yevon hide exactly what Fayth are or do people know that these artistically presented tombs are where the magical summon beasts come from?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I did not know about that scene with Dona. And I did not know that O'aka's sister was a Summoner. That's pretty neat.

Looking at these endgame conversations is really weird, though. Much like Clasko, you have to get Isaaru and his brothers to go to Bevelle in X-2 to finish their storyline, which is already what's happening here. Was their endgame planning really so convoluted that the only way they could salvage it was to just retcon everything? :psyduck:

Also, New Yevon! Slap a "New" on the front, and people will forget all the lies and mass murder!

Speedball posted:

On the topic of Fayths, what happened to all the non-Zaon Fayth stones? We never really get too much information on the previous Final Aeons.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Geostomp posted:

It's less creepy than the the face of your frozen corpse sticking out, I guess. Does Yevon hide exactly what Fayth are or do people know that these artistically presented tombs are where the magical summon beasts come from?

Lulu knew, so I don't think it's a secret. Martyrdom would be a sign of pride or something to strive for, I guess.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's also a subtle bit of manipulation. If you're fine with these people giving up their lives to turn in Aeons, you probably wouldn't feel off-put do the same and become the Final Aeon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Speedball posted:

My assumption is they all got blasted face-down by Bevelle's magitech nukes in the war and fused to the pavement in some Zanarkand street somewhere. Then some rear end in a top hat came along a few decades/centuries later, chipped them out of the road with a few picks and started worshiping their exposed asses in temples around the world.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Giving Yoko Taro an in on finding your location seems... shortsighted.

John Smith

My best friend just got hit by a car, he's paralysed and might not make it :(

Yoko Taro LOL

Nah, dude, he's a huge softie. Here's my friend showing off her custom Mikhail plushie to him.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Brunom1 posted:

...Is it me or has Cindy been reduced to just her rear end when she got turned into a Fayth?

That's an arm; Cindy is fat.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So this whole thing started because Jecht got blasted one night and ran into Sin while he was out boating?

God bless you, rear end in a top hat Sports Dad.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Green Intern posted:

That's an arm; Cindy is fat.
It's the right side of the upper back. It took me a while as well, but it makes more sense once you realise that the yellow stuff is her hair and the blue stuff is a dress.
Totally looks like a butt, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Glazius posted:

So this whole thing started because Jecht got blasted one night and ran into Sin while he was out boating?

God bless you, rear end in a top hat Sports Dad.

The story we get, yeah. Until he touched Sin, Jecht was only a dream, just like everyone else from Dream Zanarkand. So, if some druken aeon didn't dream that Jecht went out to sea, we may never have gotten this story.

• Locked thread