Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Should have an update later today, assuming I can escape from the purgatory of meetings this Friday afternoon at a reasonable hour. Get ready to see a whole bunch of characters you've probably forgotten about beyond their stupid outfits. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
But... you're still playing as Tidus. :confused:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Sin's been under the ocean a few times and was at the bottom of Lake Macalania, which is waaaaay underground.

Pretty sure there's no escaping it.

It's an elder god. Wherever there is water, Sin is there.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Sin's been under the ocean a few times and was at the bottom of Lake Macalania, which is waaaaay underground.

Pretty sure there's no escaping it.

Like door-to-door salespeople.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
I have the stupidest image of Jecht sin just creating epic waves to get his surf on. We all know that Jecht would often go out to sea to train. Maybe half of these disasters were accidental. :(

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

There's also the possibility that Sin coming back isn't an all at once thing. Sin gets his rear end beaten by a summoner and goes into remission for however long. The people party and everything's good until a year later a fishing village ceases to exist and people see the doomwhale again, albeit smaller, leaving the area.

But instead of being seen every other day, no one sees it again for 9 months as it has to rest/grow and only occasionally shows up to wreck poo poo, sightings are rare at first and then only pick up the pace. Only after a few years do we get back to full on "Sin gives no poo poo and is everywhere." mode where Sin kills someone every day just by having dandruff.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Serenity Dove posted:

I have the stupidest image of Jecht sin just creating epic waves to get his surf on. We all know that Jecht would often go out to sea to train. Maybe half of these disasters were accidental. :(

Operation Mi'ihen was just Jecht practicing his Sphere Shot.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Look there's nothing in the rule books saying Sin can't be a blitzer

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm pretty sure "big enough to use the entire blitz sphere as the ball" is a disqualifier, though.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
And cue the doomwhale rights activists calling out the blitz league for discrimination.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I'll respect the doomwhales' rights if he respects my right not to be vaporized :colbert:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXVIII: My Dense Realization

Meanwhile, at the bottom of Lake Macalania...

There's another one of those dopey “walk twenty feet to get the cutscene” segments. Unlike the last three, there's actually a Level 2 Key Sphere and the first Level 4 Key Sphere in the two corners of the room on the way out. Kind of a dick move.

Welp. The old Summoner's Sanctum has seen better days. I don't know guys. I don't want to judge, but maybe gathering all the summoners to a single point in your weird desert base and slapping a big “summoner's here” label on it was an ill devised plan.

Oh right... You. Stripper summoner. The one Bolt VanderHuge was looking for back in the forest. I guess you got kidnapped, huh? I'd forgotten about that. Mostly because you appeared all of twice the entire game prior to now and the last time was seven areas or so ago.

“Hello again. Wait there until we have performed the sending."
"They died...protecting us.”

Oh yeah. What's his face... Quentin Flynn Summoner is also here. I guess he got kidnapped at some point. There's another person who I'd forgotten about because he showed up all of once the entire game prior to this. Along with both of his guardian brothers. I'm not sure how that worked out.

Good thing the Al Bhed only managed to capture two of the only three summoners we've ever met in Spira. It would be awkward to have to exchange pleasantries with some unknown scrub summoner this late in the game. Or one that was having a far more successful pilgrimage than Yuna and company's clusterfuck, who just ended up here because he didn't have a half dozen people to combat an Al Bhed tank assault.

Speaking of unknown scrubs, remember how Isaaru had a tiny kid brother guardian that had all of about two lines? Well he did. And he decides to wander up to Tidus for some reason while the grown-ups attend to the Al Bhed corpses.

”...Why are you asking me?!”
*looks around*
*shrugs*

“The Al Bhed said summoners were being 'sacrificed.' That summoners shouldn't have to do a pilgrimage..."

“The Al Bhed had no right stopping their pilgrimage!"
”Trying to kill summoners' guardians is also filed under uncool. What's the deal?!”
"The pilgrimages have to stop!

“If they don't, and they get to Zanarkand... They might defeat Sin. Yunie could... but then she...”

Whhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!? The summoner's pilgrimage is a one way suicide mission this whole time?! Who could have foreseen this shocking revelation as to the nature of our journey? The answer is literally just Tidus and this eight year old child. If you made it to this twist and were take by surprise by this revelation and were over the age about about 14: Congrats. You are dense. :v:

And hey, Rikku. I don't know... Maybe drop the cutesy name for Yuna if you're going to have a serious discussion about the death of another person?

New Music: Revealed Truth

“Summoners journey to get the Final Aeon. Yuna told you, didn't she?”
”Or Wakka...? Or Lulu...? Or Auron...?”
“...”
“...Okay, maybe not Auron.”
<Kimahri not even get mentioned. Typical.>

“If she calls it, the Final Aeon's going to kill her! Even if she defeats Sin, it will kill Yunie too, you know!"

“Why didn't I know?"
”How should I know? I've only been here like a week. I thought someone would have filled you in by now. I only knew you didn't know on that snowmobile and like... it's been a *HECK* of a day after that.”

”You didn't ask.”
“Oh, I didn't ask huh?! Would you have even told me if this didn't come up?!”
*glares*
“Yeah, that's what I thought. Just shut up. Just shut the gently caress up, Auron!”
“Hmph. Fair.”

”Is Kimahri only guardian who concerned where Yuna is right now? That seems more important to Kimahri than this...”

“Aah!”

Despite the dramatic motion blurred zoom, here's not actually a long scream of horror. It's more the sound close to that of someone being startled by a spider.

“I thought you were family!”

”Kimahri, you... And you... Ugh... Why the hell are you blue anyway?!”
“...?”

“She follows... her heart."
”Even you have been around her enough lately. Surely you've realized rational thinking and Yuna do not associate often.”

“To face Sin, ya? Yuna knew!”
”Like... everyone knows, ya.”
“Hey. Umm... what are you all talking about? And why isn't anyone answering me...? No...? You guys suck. I'm gonna go...” *frown*

“Summoners shouldn't have to sacrifice themselves... just so the rest of Spira can be happy, right?”

That's a raw deal for summoners. But this is the same narrative where an alternative method of dealing with Sin was tried with the Al Bhed and it resulted in literally the death of about a thousand people. So... I guess the Al Bhed back-up plan is just to go “gently caress it! Pack everything up!” Not really a good solution on either end here.

Unrelated, wow Al Bhed spiral eyes actually look really creepy. I wonder if Tidus would still be into Yuna if instead of having heterochromia, Yuna had one lazy green spiral eye instead. :v:

While Tidus is busy having a meltdown in an inopportune time*, the pyreflies of the assorted gibbed Al Bhed form into... hey our old buddy Wendigo! Funny, I thought the Wendigo was more of a feral creature than a straight up fiend made of Spiran soul farts. But then again the Guado explode into pyreflies upon death just like your common monster. So perhaps the species lines are a bit blurry.

* (Hey didn't Auron do the Sin = Jecht reveal early to avoid this exact same scenario? Whoops!)

"We all live in fear of Sin. You know that."
"A world without Sin... That is the dream of all Yevon's children.”

But only use the power of two summons, and only those of two different types, at a time please. The game engine cannot handle more than that without hard crashing. Please understand the sacrifices they must make to defeat Sin.

The summoned Ifrit and Valefor proceed to ruin the Wendigo's poo poo. Or at least, it is implied by sound effects and the screen going white. Sorry, it wasn't in budget to actually have a cinematic duo-summon vs. yeti battle.

“Uuugh. Uggggh. Urrrrrgggaaaah! Uurrrrrrrraaah.”

In a puzzling emotional outburst, Tidus decides to rush over to the Valefor and just start beating the poo poo out of it. I mean really just laying into the thing. Punches it right in the bird tit. Rude.

"And I've been telling Yuna... Let's go to Zanarkand together! Let's beat Sin! I told her all the things we could... we could... And all along, the whole time, I didn't know anything!But Yuna, she'd... just smile.”

This giant bird is very confused right now.

Music: Yuna's Theme

Hey, remember the one time Yuna learned to whistle? You know, the one of about two times Tidus and Yuna hung out together and had a moment. No? You don't quite recall. It's cool. We're just gonna play the scene again from a slightly different camera angle and slap a filter over it.

"You sound sad."
"Plus you’ve been kind of pouting and kicking dirt in the background since you’ve gotten here…”
"Yeah, maybe."
"…Wanna scream?"
"Mmph… I really don't think that's gonna help this time."
”Kind of dealing with some heavy stuff right now…”
“Like…?”
“…Can’t really talk about it because… eh… it is…err… complicated…? Complicated sounds like a good word.”

“It's embarrassing to say this myself... But summoners and their guardians are kind of like Spira's ray of light. A lot of people in Spira depend on us. I learned… to practice smiling… when I'm sad, you know? I know it's hard."
"Yeah... I understand. I think."
”Not really helping to make today any less of a downer but…”

Right. There was this whole bit next where Yuna teaches Tidus to fake smile. Which probably ought to have been a big warning sign that all was not well with the journey. But they're just going to skip over that bit. Probably for the best.

Instead, let's see a (thankfully) muted version of the iconic fake laughing scene.

You ever seen the Japanese version of the laughing scene? Oof. You thought the English version was bad dubbing but you go back and look to see Japanese Tidus doing what sounds like a duck getting throttled to death. I wonder if they make fun of that awful scene over there too.

”Right g—“

”Uhh... right... Move out!”

Video: Episode 68 Highlight Reel
(Recommended Viewing!)

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 24, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This plot point may have been foreshadowed as subtly as a sledgehammer, but I do actually like this scene. And it's nice seeing Dona being a decent person for once.

Gamerman386
Oct 30, 2012

I'm certainly glad to have found Vilkacis lying in that field.
Yeah I was one of those people who missed all the hints and foreshadowing that summoners die at the end of their pilgrimage. But I was 9 at the time so I wasn't paying much attention to the story anyway.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I think he zipped right over to Valefor because he associates that one with Yuna most (it was the first one he saw her summon, after all.) Always thought Valefor sympathized with him a bit over it. It just kinda lets him punch the hell out of it.

Or maybe he just knows if he tried to punch Ifrit he'd either get a stump back or be backhanded across the room, one of the two :v:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Okay this scene. This loving scene. I don't really know why people latch onto the laughing scene when they wanna make fun of FFX's writing and story, because this is a way worse. I mean, the laughing scene is dumb, but ultimately fairly inconsequential. This scene? For a scene that's supposed to revealing a very big twist (okay yes it's barely a plot twist but the idea stands) it is unforgivably bad. It doesn't make a lot of sense (guys really maybe should have told Tidus?), mawkishly melodramatic, and dear god the editing and cinematography is atrocious. Why during this very important scene did the camera need to shake the whole time? Why the hell does Tidus run past everyone to smack tit-bird (it makes me laugh every time I see it) Isn't it supposed to be fighting something...? Urgh, such a badly handled scene.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

This plot point may have been foreshadowed as subtly as a sledgehammer, but I do actually like this scene. And it's nice seeing Dona being a decent person for once.

Agreed. Actually, this scene was one of the few redeeming moments for Tidus as a character for me.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Camel Pimp posted:

Okay this scene. This loving scene. I don't really know why people latch onto the laughing scene when they wanna make fun of FFX's writing and story, because this is a way worse. I mean, the laughing scene is dumb, but ultimately fairly inconsequential. This scene? For a scene that's supposed to revealing a very big twist (okay yes it's barely a plot twist but the idea stands) it is unforgivably bad. It doesn't make a lot of sense (guys really maybe should have told Tidus?), mawkishly melodramatic, and dear god the editing and cinematography is atrocious. Why during this very important scene did the camera need to shake the whole time? Why the hell does Tidus run past everyone to smack tit-bird (it makes me laugh every time I see it) Isn't it supposed to be fighting something...? Urgh, such a badly handled scene.

It seems really dumb, overly melodramatic, and "reveals" a secret about as subtle as Sin itself, but I kind of like it showing the last vestiges of Tidus's usual dumb jock identity crumble as he finally starts to comprehend what he's gotten into.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Also lip flaps etc etc but "Yunie will die, y'know?" is not the best way to say that while being taken seriously.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

The Dark Id posted:

”You didn't ask.”
“Oh, I didn't ask huh?! Would you have even told me if this didn't come up?!”
*glares*
“Yeah, that's what I thought. Just shut up. Just shut the gently caress up, Auron!”
“Hmph. Fair.”

The Dark Id posted:

”Kimahri, you... And you... Ugh... Why the hell are you blue anyway?!”
“...?”

Your conversations are always great. As are the filenames. :allears:

I actually kind of like the scene of Valefor comforting Tidus, though.

That is pretty unsettling to look at, now that you mention it. It looks like Rikku's hypnotized or trying to hypnotize someone.

Maybe it looks better in HD, though.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I think he zipped right over to Valefor because he associates that one with Yuna most (it was the first one he saw her summon, after all.) Always thought Valefor sympathized with him a bit over it. It just kinda lets him punch the hell out of it.

Or maybe he just knows if he tried to punch Ifrit he'd either get a stump back or be backhanded across the room, one of the two :v:

One of the things Tidus mentions about Valefor when Yuna first summons her is that he senses a gentleness from her.

Speaking of the Laughing Scene, I actually never found the English version all that bad. It's a goofy scene, to be sure, but that's the point.

Now, the Japanese version on the other hand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik4JI4D7rZQ

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 24, 2015

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That is pretty unsettling to look at, now that you mention it. It looks like Rikku's hypnotized or trying to hypnotize someone.

Maybe it looks better in HD, though.

Her eyes looks slightly less creepy with more of a shine in them. You just have to deal with the rest of HD Remaster Rikku looking like an airbrushed Realdoll.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

The Dark Id posted:

Her eyes looks slightly less creepy with more of a shine in them. You just have to deal with the rest of HD Remaster Rikku looking like an airbrushed Realdoll.

That's actually pretty subtle, and you can see why Wakka might miss that despite being around her for a few days.

I can't believe I just called something in this game "subtle". :psyduck:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Dark Id posted:

The HD versions also have a proper iris at the center instead of just the crazy spiral and actually looks a little more believably-different.

How would you even see through that, anyway? Your vision must drift like mad with the inner spiral loop segment floating about beneath the lens, because the iris is basically a sphincter.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

"Yunie" is probably the translation's way of handling Yuna-chan. I know it's a different culture, but using honorifics even among your family feels like some weird barrier to intimacy. The delivery, like so much of this game, is also terrible. As for Auron telling Tidus, I think he actually overestimated his intelligence and assumed he'd gotten the hint.

And the goddamn alarm is still going through the cutscene. It's drowned out for most of it, but it's still there. Who's idea was that, seriously?!

Gihyou
Feb 19, 2011

Oh God no the ball is gone.

Camel Pimp posted:

Yeah, the cinematography is rarely good in this game but it is particularly awful here. Also, the scene loses a lot of effect from being so heavily foreshadowed that the player has likely gleaned the supposed bomb drop ("Yunie is gonna die!") well in advance. Honestly, it's a complete trainwreck almost entirely from start to finish and a three minute (?) long one, which I think is why the laughing scene is more memorable: it's a single, iconic moment of cringeworthy cinema. In this, you just wonder when it's going to finally stop having Tidus go bonkers while the camera zooms around like the world's most unstable drone.

I do like that they muted the laughing scene flashback. I think they knew we didn't need to hear that one twice.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

"I want my journey to be full of laughter."

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral
When I first played it, I had a feeling right away, but didn't think it for sure. I fully accepted it was fact during the Kilika Sending scene. Err... the scene after, at least. Where Our Representation in the World of the Game doesn't get the obvious hint.

The Dark Id posted:

Welp, that's officially my nightmare for tonight.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Geostomp posted:

It seems really dumb, overly melodramatic, and "reveals" a secret about as subtle as Sin itself, but I kind of like it showing the last vestiges of Tidus's usual dumb jock identity crumble as he finally starts to comprehend what he's gotten into.

This scene is pretty much the point where Tidus stops being a dumb audience viewpoint and starts being the protagonist of the game. For all the bad points it has, that's a genuinely good one.

While the Laughing scene bungles a fairly simple message via sounding obnoxious.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The Dark Id posted:

Burger Flipper posted:

Welp, that's officially my nightmare for tonight.

But what about this old classic?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Kavak posted:

"Yunie" is probably the translation's way of handling Yuna-chan. I know it's a different culture, but using honorifics even among your family feels like some weird barrier to intimacy. The delivery, like so much of this game, is also terrible. As for Auron telling Tidus, I think he actually overestimated his intelligence and assumed he'd gotten the hint.

I almost think the opposite and wanted Tidus to come to that conclusion on his own. That's why he doesn't really speak up during this part compared to most other times where he wants things to move along.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

The Dark Id posted:

And hey, Rikku. I don't know... Maybe drop the cutesy name for Yuna if you're going to have a serious discussion about the death of another person?

quote:

“Summoners journey to get the Final Aeon. Yuna told you, didn't she?”
”Or Wakka...? Or Lulu...? Or Auron...?”
“...”
“...Okay, maybe not Auron.”
<Kimahri not even get mentioned. Typical.>

*calls out a character for not being serious enough during a serious scene, immediately starts making jokes about a serious scene two lines later*

I always love your humorous hypocrisy, Id.

I do like that the whole scene inspires something to keep an eye on during later playthroughs. Namely, all the times Tidus put his foot in his mouth and talked about coming back somewhere or what Yuna will do after the pilgrimage or some poo poo, and everyone's just standing there thinking "Holy poo poo AWKWARD."

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

The Dark Id posted:

I see the port of FFX to the Sonic Heroes engine is going well.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They should have just treated all the cutscenes in this game like that one scene in MGS 3 where The Boss looks at the camera and starts lip flapping for 5 seconds before saying "Run" as :effort: as possible.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Man I barely remember anything that happens during this sequence, pretty much all of the desert and Home is a blur to me. I sure as hell didn't get any of the extra stuff with all the weird backtracking/side paths here, something about this part of the game completely failed to engage me at all.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Honestly wondering, for anyone with the scientific knowledge: What the hell would having a spiral-shaped pupil do to your vision?

And wouldn't it technically be a spiral-shaped iris, covering the pupil to create that shape?

Like, setting aside whatever hosed up evolutionary scheme could possibly cause that to happen (and have it manifest as just ordinary heterochromia when mixed with other gene pools, at that)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I've never seen such confusion for a stereotypical eye style.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CheeseThief posted:

Man I barely remember anything that happens during this sequence, pretty much all of the desert and Home is a blur to me. I sure as hell didn't get any of the extra stuff with all the weird backtracking/side paths here, something about this part of the game completely failed to engage me at all.

It's not that surprising considering that the upcoming part of the game has some great visuals and bosses while Home is just kinda droll outside of like the next update.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, Tidus finally realized he's basically been twisting the knife trying to get Yuna to cheer up this entire time.

Though, honestly, I can understand the sentiment that he might just be happier not knowing. That seems to be kind of a theme around here.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

So, Tidus finally realized he's basically been twisting the knife trying to get Yuna to cheer up this entire time.

This, to me, is why I thought that scene worked. He realizes that he's actually been a jerk when he was trying to do the opposite, and that crushes the last of his optimistic spirit. It was moving when Valefor wrapped its wings around Tidus to try and comfort him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Glazius posted:

Though, honestly, I can understand the sentiment that he might just be happier not knowing. That seems to be kind of a theme around here.

All the way back at Mi'ihen

Wakka: I don't think that's something a Maester should say.
Seymour: Then pretend I didn't say it.

I love this scene, there's that pure rage that Tidus has over having been lied to by his friends. Over the knowledge that the people who claimed to care about Yuna were leading her to her death, and that he's been such an rear end in a top hat because he just didn't know. I have to wonder how Jecht reacted to the knowledge that Braska had to die (I say this because I never got the Jecht spheres to see if he reacted)

• Locked thread