Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Dark Id posted:

Ha ha ha haaa!
Ha ha ha ha ha haa haa!
Ha ha halloween season!

U have been visited by the spooky guardian of retardation
He arrives only once ever 600 pilgrimages
Say "Thank, Mr. Dipshit" in the next 30 seconds or be a moron forever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Who What Now posted:

U have been visited by the spooky guardian of retardation
He arrives only once ever 600 pilgrimages
Say "Thank, Mr. Dipshit" in the next 30 seconds or be a moron forever!

Thank, Mr. Dipshit

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

... I see what you did there...

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

"Don't do anything rash" says the guy doing jumps while driving his snowmobile with one hand

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Booourns posted:

"Don't do anything rash" says the guy doing jumps while driving his snowmobile with one hand

There's a reason for that: He's friggin' Auron! :black101:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Aw yeah, looking forward to listening to the rest of Tidus's story, as told by TDI. Glad to see this back.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Gaz-L posted:

The affection system in FF X is an interesting thing to look at in comparison to Tales of Symphonia, which I believe was the entry of that franchise that came out around the same time. Symphonia has a similar thing but because the Tales skit system allows you to have a bit more flexibility in how you approach things, it can actually have a moderately significant impact, including dictating one party member's fate. FF's version gives you this one brief scene and dictates who helps out in Tidus' final special attack.

Don't feel like I'm spoiling things since TDI has already listed the things that the affection mechanic can affect and didn't say that it could change the ending, but in Symphonia at least you could drop the milquetoast designated heroin like a bad habit and have the main character hook up with the the ninja, get hot for teacher, or have a bromance with one of the other guys in the party. It actually gave some agency to your decisions, rather than just having them give you one or two disposable scenes.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

On the flipside Symphonia was very binary with it's affection system, when you're given the choice either you say something nice about a character or you say something mean to them and that's really about it. As weird as it is here i suppose it's more "natural" that the person you talk to the most and work to keep alive the most would be the most likely to like you. Even if you're only force feeding them Potions because they only come in with 400 health and all the enemies will do half her health in damagegoddamnitstopdyingrikkuandstealshitplease.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Who had the better sick jump though?

Auron did his one handed but Kimahri had the better lead in imo.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Reading all these alternate text things...that's what was sorely missing from Drakengard 3! And now I'm imagining that instead of Valefor as her first summon, it was Mikhail.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Ah FFX. I'm fond of it largely because the battle system is quite fun, and I honestly didn't find the voice-acting grating. I don't know why, but eh.

In my file, it amused me that Yuna had never helped Tidus with his final overdrive. It was Lulu for me due to the weirdness of the affection system, then Rikku because she's one of the best 3 post-game content party members bar none and just collected points for Tidus healing her whenever.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I wonder if I can catch up before this finishes. Well, time to start with update 0. :shepface:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
These always sneak up on me

so glad that the laughter continues

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002

The Dark Id posted:

See? I started this LP and now there's a Category 3 hurricane aimed directly at where I used to live. Nice try, Final Fantasy X curse! I loving moved! Ha!

Category 4 now, actually. It's not supposed to make landfall at least.

I just started reading the old thread last week so this is a wonderful surprise. I bought Nier and Drakengard! 3 because of you, you jerk. I'm impressed by your tenacity and a bit concerned about your mental health but at least you won't get carried off by a huge loving storm.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Darth TNT posted:

I wonder if I can catch up before this finishes. Well, time to start with update 0. :shepface:

We have a lot more game to go. You should catch up with plenty of lp left.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Thanks for restarting this.

Going through the previous updates, proofreading:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=24693 posted:

enemies flying about is not just a visual effect with no barring on the battle

Usual do to being off the battlefield entirely.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=24881 posted:

Duplicate screenshots on both sides of "Tidus wanders over to Kimahri's side..."
Also, random Ronso going " "Take 'em on!" right after is probably supposed to be Tidus

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=24912 posted:

Duplicate screenshots on both sides of Tidus going "Mmmm"

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=24925 posted:

At least into those pilefly things
"It is no good. We will have to find another way. We will find a ford where we can cross on foot."
"Where there's a will, there's a way." - Both of these are probably meant to have Lucil's portrait

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=24933 posted:

Well the game doesn’t mention it but that cutscene magically gotten buffed with +15%
The sword, presumably?

In other news, I think linking videos at the start of the update (or at the point in the screenshot narrative at which they start) instead of / as well as at the end of the update is more convenient for the reader.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
I just read through the Legacy of Kain LPs. If square could have outsourced the voice acting to the guys who did those games, that would have been an awesome rpg.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Honestly I've never thought the voice acting was all that bad in FF X and find it quite charming a lot of the time, especially considering they had very little budget for voice acting and so couldn't reprogram the lip flaps, forcing the actors to work with the flaps they have, pauses and all. So I really don't understand the hate that it gets at all. I mean, yeah the laughing scene is stupid, but the whole point of that scene was Yuna telling Tidus that when the weight of responsibility that comes with going on a pilgrimage that will ultimately end in her suicide gets her down she forces herself to smile anyway, because she represents an important hope to the people of Spira, a hope that they desperately need to get through their lives. "Fake it till you make it". She literally, not figuratively but literally, tells him to force himself to laugh, so no poo poo it sounds forced, that was the idea. And after they do their forced laugh together, they laugh for real, which sounds completely different and more normal.

That's not to say the game's voice acting isn't without it's faults, because it has many, but I just don't see how people can say that it's really so awful, especially considering it's time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think maybe having a scene that intentionally has your characters sounding bad might be a bad choice to make in your first game with full voice acting, though.

Also, it's not just an issue of dubbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik4JI4D7rZQ

Honestly, the English version is kinda better.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A lot of people equate bad scenes=bad acting. VA's ultimately are at the mercy of scripts, scenes, and the voice director for quality. The talent comes from squeezing that extra 1% to make it much better.

Except Yuna, because her VA didn't learn the tricks of lip-flap matching.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The Laughing scene gets a lot of undeserved flak because it's full impact isn't felt until Tidus figures out what a gigantic idiot he's been. Plus it happens pretty early in the game before there have been enough subtle hints for the Player to get that something's off.
So you're left with an awkward laughing scene that colors your perception of the VA quality early on (especially when one of them's Yuna who definitely has problems.)

Who What Now posted:

That's not to say the game's voice acting isn't without it's faults, because it has many, but I just don't see how people can say that it's really so awful, especially considering it's time.

Because while it's Square's first foray into a full VA game, VA in games had been around awhile at that point and Square made some basic mistakes that they really shouldn't have, even at the time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yuna's VA is much better in the sequel. Wasn't there some theory that she was trying to EXACTLY match the lip flaps in the video, hence the weird breathless cadence she has in this one?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Gaz-L posted:

Yuna's VA is much better in the sequel. Wasn't there some theory that she was trying to EXACTLY match the lip flaps in the video, hence the weird breathless cadence she has in this one?

I believe so. I also think that Yuna in the Japanese script spoke with a lot of purses to begin with, which only exacerbated the issue. I could definitely be misremembering, though.

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Laughing scene gets a lot of undeserved flak because it's full impact isn't felt until Tidus figures out what a gigantic idiot he's been. Plus it happens pretty early in the game before there have been enough subtle hints for the Player to get that something's off.
So you're left with an awkward laughing scene that colors your perception of the VA quality early on (especially when one of them's Yuna who definitely has problems.)

Because while it's Square's first foray into a full VA game, VA in games had been around awhile at that point and Square made some basic mistakes that they really shouldn't have, even at the time.

Yeah, that's fair. But I stand by my belief that pointing to the laughing scene as damning evidence of the game's voice acting quality as whole is either ignorant at best or dishonest at worst.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Gaz-L posted:

Part of the reason why X-2 was better was because they scrapped and re-did the lip flaps for localization.

The average person seriously do not understand that trying to act while matching flaps is probably the hardest thing you can do in voice acting.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I could swear that whole lip-flap matching part also came up earlier with Tidus, with his whole "IHAVETOGOWITHYOUIHAVETO" bit.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Taco Defender
All right! This LP is back, fantastic! I did watch the rest of the game on a youtube longplay (i.e. no commentary), but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the rest of the game through TheDarkId's eyes.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LX: Reveal My Villainy

Music: Fantasy

Regardless of our traveling companion or whether sick jumps were performed, Tidus finds himself at the far end of Lake Macalania. Really, we only saved about three minutes of walking and a handful of random battles by taking the snowmobiles. Said machina have vanished into the ether, never to be seen again following their cutscene.

Macalania Temple is quite an impressive structure. Mind you, not particularly structurally sound. What with the narrow base and the roof being embedded into an ice cavern apparently kept in check by magical forces. Fantasy architects never think that far ahead. The ice unfreezes a bit and the whole goddamn thing sinks into the bottom of the lake by the time the sequel rolls around. Idiots.

And let's not even get into the fact the only path to the temple is a narrow path made of pure ice. I wonder how many pilgrimages ended with with a summoner slipping on this trail and tumbling 60 feet into ice depths below. That's got to look real bad on a guardian's résumé...

After a bit of a scenic tromp around the not at all secure path, Tidus catches up to the rest of the guardians. Wait... why didn't we just go along with Tromell if we were all going to the exact same place? For that matter, how did Tromell and Yuna get here first on foot? Wakka's bigotry didn't eat up that much time.

“The likes of her are not welcome in this hallowed place."
"She is a guardian."
"An Al Bhed, a guardian? Preposterous!"

*walks past scrub monk* "And that's all one needs to be a guardian."
*shakes head* “Very well. I will hold you personally responsible if anything happens.

Real lax security in the old Yevon temples, eh? “She's one of the heathens forbidden from our temples.” “Nah, she's one of the good ones.” “Okay.” I guess Spira doesn't have to be that big on security when the biggest threat is ten stories tall. Regardless, it's nice to see Wakka has caught up from his bigotry brooding to rejoin the party.

Tidus enters the temple...

New Music: Temple Band

Welcome to Macalania Temple. There's a number of folks milling about in the foyer. But first, we want want to speak with Tromell. Otherwise the creep will vanish like a ninja if we take more than a few steps.

"Ah, Lady Yuna's guardians! I haven't thanked you for your help earlier.”
“Yeah, we noticed. You didn't really help with the whole tank thing, either.”
“It was not my place to interfere.”
“Mmm. Hmm...”

“Thanks to you, I was able to bring Lady Yuna here safely. You have my sincerest gratitude. It... isn't much, but I want you to have this."
*Receives Shell Targe* (Automatically Casts Shell)
"Lord Seymour and Lady Yuna's marriage will help foster goodwill between us and humankind. Lord Jyscal, rest his soul, would be pleased. I'm sure of it."
”He always did favor the... coupling... of human and Guado.”
“Gross.”

"Well... we have much to do before the ceremony. We are all going to be very busy."

That's all well and good. Walking more than a few steps further into the temple will result in another Yevon following muppet getting all up in Tidus' grill.

“So Lady Yuna is getting married. You shouldn't kid around about these things."
"Yeah, I guess so."
"You're not happy?"
"Nah, it's complicated. Say... Do you know where Yuna is?"

"She's gone to the Cloister of Trials with Maester Seymour."

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh. A Cloister of Trials? That's a term I haven't heard in ages and immediately did a gag reflex to hearing it. Maaan. :smith:

Same.

I suppose we ought to join the rest of the guardians in doing our jo—

Music: Hopeless Desire

...What belongings? Yuna left her trunk of traveling gear back on Besaid. And ignoring that fact, what in the hell were you doing rummaging through Yuna's poo poo to begin with, lady? Someone fire this maid. She's clearly trying to steal loose gil from guests to the temple.

Alas, such questions regarding the staff's conduct will have to wait until later.

Tidus and the gang rush to see what's going on...

Auron hands Tidus the mysterious drama bomb sphere. Tidus proceeds to set it up right at the door threshold so nobody but him can clearly see it and anyone walking in will trip over it. Just a little reminder that Tidus is a nitwit.

”Help me, Sir Auron. You're my only hope.”

“I swear it on my honor as a Guado. Listen to me very carefully, for I shall tell you the truth about my son, Seymour. His mind is closed even to me, a maester of Yevon. But I can feel flames of darkness burning in his heart. He is using Yevon, the Guado, and even the summoners.”
”And the hypello. You do not even want to know the depravity he has afflicted upon those folk.”

“I will leave this world soon, killed by my own son. But I do not fault him. Because I was not wise enough, he has suffered, and become twisted. I could not protect him and his mother from the world and its cruelty. I will accept death as punishment for my deeds. But whoever is watching this...”

Welp. Seymour Guado is evil. I am beside myself in shock at this horrifying revelation. Mortified.

"Will Yuna be all right?"
*walks out the room* "Hehe. Without us, no."
*run out of the room after Auron*
"Where you goin'?"

”I TOLD you guys! I warned you about the Seymour guy! Did nobody hear the music every time he was around?! The guy has been like the most bad news I've seen other than LITERAL monsters!”
"But he's a maester!"
"Fine! Stay here if you want!"
"Come on, Wakka. Let's at least hear him out."
*face-palms* "This can't be happening." :smith:

Returning to the hallway, the path leading to the Cloister of Trials is now clear. Apparently, Kimahri just piledrived the bald monk guard down the stairs and proceeded onward. He's very cross about the whole affair and is going to tattle to the higher ups in the church. But we're not going to pay that too much mind what with the senior Yevon official getting called out as being evil as poo poo and murdering his own father.

Tidus proceeds further into the temple...

“Right!”
"We will protect Yuna from anyone. Even a maester."
*nervous laugh* "This can't be happening..." :smith:

Wakka is having a real bad time today what with one of his allies turning out to be a dirty heathen. And one of the leaders of his church committing patricide and other vague villainy on the sly. At least Lulu is ready to put aside her faith and assassinate a church official if need be.

New Music: Seymour's Ambition

Unlike every other Yevon temple we've encountered where it was just one huge antechamber and the Cloister of Trials, this one features a secondary boss fight arena waiting area for summoners queuing up for their trial.

“Make me!”

Seymour trots down the stairs to face the guardians and puts on his smuggest look. He is accompanied by an entourage of two Guado red shirts for the upcoming boss battle to protect him.

Before any conflict can break out, Yuna emerges from the Cloister of Trials. drat, either she speedrunned those puzzles or Macalania's puzzle crafting skills are sorely lacking.

“You killed him.”
"What of it? Lady Yuna, certainly you know of these things, did you not?
*looks guilty* “...”
“Well then, why have you come here?"
“I came...”

Yuna teleports past Seymour and his posse to rejoin her party. Check the video. She literally teleports across the room between cuts...

“I see. You came to punish me, then.”

Seymour motions to his weird wrinkly sun-baked old man chest and motions for Yuna's hand. No creeper, not even Yuna is that much of a doormat to still come to you at this point.

“'Protect the summoner even at the cost of one's life.' The Code of the Guardian. How admirable.”

So Yuna... What the hell was the plan here? I know you're big on the whole self-sacrifice thing. But what were you going to do by yourself? Wait for a lengthy summon to gank Seymour? Seymour, the guy that has the heavy metal album cover aeon that can wax anything you'd be able to muster? And now it looks like you're just having your guardians gank Seymour for you now that the jig about Seymour just being a well meaning creep is up. So what benefit was there from hiding the truth about Seymour being evil to your allies? They could have... you know... prepared for a fight against him instead of just winging it out of the blue now that whatever dubious solo plan has fallen through.

"I will not stand by and watch them be hurt. I will fight you, too!"

Alright. So we're all in on just murdering Seymour Guado. Mostly... I like it! Let's do this thing!

Video: Episode 60 Highlight Reel

Macalania Temple Concept Art

Macalania Temple Interior Concept Art

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 3, 2015

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Did someone say

Cloyster of Trials? :v: I have been waiting three years to post this.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I'd just like to point out that the previous boss was a tank, on top of a frozen lake.

A frozen, hollow lake. No water to stop their fall if their cannon broke the surface, just a drop... :v:

Edit: The mental image of Kimahri pile-driving a fool has me in stitches and I wish I had the talent to draw that.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 3, 2015

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
You know, I don't know how many times I saw the pre-fight cut scenes but i have that drat thing memorized by now because I was a stupid kid who didn't understand I should be activating every node on the Sphere Grid instead of just jumping to the furthest point I could and activating whatever was around.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I just like how dryly Auron is taking this. "Oh good, the Maester's evil. Great, now this is a party."

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
You know, ever since seeing an abridged of this game, I can't not see Yuna raising her staff and not view it as her accidentally hitting Lulu in the face.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

I just like how dryly Auron is taking this. "Oh good, the Maester's evil. Great, now this is a party."

I don't think anything surprises Auron.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Are you still using the PS2 version, Id? It looks a lot nicer than I thought it would, but the remaster was a pretty decent upscale.

EDIT: \/ Missed that. The PS4 version thankfully lets you use the original soundtrack.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 3, 2015

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Are you still using the PS2 version, Id? It looks a lot nicer than I thought it would, but the remaster was a pretty decent upscale.

The Dark Id posted:

I'm emulating the PS2 version because my PS3 is about to die, I'm not replaying 25 hours of game, and the International Version adds a bunch of bullshit I'm not dealing with. Also everyone's faces looks weird and the remixed soundtrack sounds like garbage in the HD version. :colbert:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Speedball posted:

I don't think anything surprises Auron.

He's the only one in this game to consistently have a clue. I just assume he was waiting to see how long it'd take for his teammates to put 2 and 2 together about Seymore being evil.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

: "The man has hair even spikier than Tidus, a constant smug-smirk, and his Aeon is a screaming hell-beast wrapped in chains. I shouldn't need to spell this out."

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 3, 2015

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

At this point it seems clear enough that Auron is the one in charge of the pilgrimage, using the excuse of his 'experience'. Going by his dialogue during the time of Operation Mi'ihen and surrounding, he actually seems to be trying to get Tidus and Yuna close.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Holy fuckbiscuits, how long has this been back?

*checks first post*

Ah, only about three days. Good, this hasn't gone under my radar almost entirely like the Drakengard 3 thread did for ages (I really need to check the Let's Play board more often). The original thread was one of the biggest factors in me deciding to get an SA account (though apparently it was already dying when I signed up, but whatever), so I'm stoked as hell to see this poo poo back in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
It's good to have this poo poo back.

• Locked thread