Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kheldarn posted:

I found the one person in all of Spira who knows Tidus' name! :stare:

Also the Aurochs use Tidus's name if you talk to the in the early game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

YeOldeButchere posted:

I hope someday text-to-speech technology will have advanced enough that games that allow you to name your character will be able to use the name in voiced segments.

Imagine the possibilities!

"Thank you, hero, you have saved us all from certain doom.Our children's children will sing your name in praise, Xxp00pGokuxX69!"

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

YeOldeButchere posted:

I hope someday text-to-speech technology will have advanced enough that games that allow you to name your character will be able to use the name in voiced segments.

Most of what I'm imagining is covered by the names Fallout 4's butler bot has available, but you could certainly get creative. I'd be more interested in whether it could get to the point where it's cheap and high quality enough for "build your character" RPGs to go back to the wider variety of character actions and responses like the older pre-voice ones had by using synthetic text to speech voiced characters in lieu of actors.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
"You can call me [robotic voice]VagSlayer69[/robotic voice], star player of the Zanarkand Abes!"

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

"You can call me [robotic voice]VagSlayer69[/robotic voice], star player of the Zanarkand Abes!"

I'd still prefer that over Baten Kaitos' voice acting, which, on top of being bad to begin with, didn't bother to skirt it and instead just cut the voice out whenever they said your name. Which wouldn't be so bad if it didn't start happening in the MIDDLE of sentences, instead of just at the start or end.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

YeOldeButchere posted:

Go on, somebody post the Fallout 4 names video.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Derek Barona posted:

I'd still prefer that over Baten Kaitos' voice acting, which, on top of being bad to begin with, didn't bother to skirt it and instead just cut the voice out whenever they said your name. Which wouldn't be so bad if it didn't start happening in the MIDDLE of sentences, instead of just at the start or end.

I always liked Persona 3/4's way of skirting around it with nicknames and honorifics.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Bullshit like this just isn't fun

I understand spells like Ultima being surrounded by level 4 locks. but really this is just vindictive.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 29, 2015

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Onmi posted:

Ultima

Your tag broke.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Although, is it really a spoiler that there's a spell called that in a Final Fantasy game? :shrug:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

berryjon posted:

Your tag broke.

Danke. Also To whoever decided that the best way to handle transitions between two rooms with different camera angles was to reverse controls.

gently caress you. You know who you are. gently caress you.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXXX: Meet My Mortibuddy

Music: Hurry!!

Well, that whole escape only to immediately decide we ought to run back and engage in that boss battle after all was kind of awkwardly written. But fear not, the ramshackle Bevelle portion of the game will soon be at its end.

“Anything you want, I've got! Traitor or no, Lady Yuna's always been a friend to O'aka.”

O'aka has set up shop. Heretics? Whatever. It's not like this scumbag has any morals. An axe murderer could be stumbling out of an orphanage, still wet with the blood and viscera of slain innocent children and O'aka would cheerily stand there referring to himself in the third person and selling the guy a change of clothes to skip town.

At least this reoccurring jackass is a bit more plausible an excuse for an item shop in a pinch rather than a submerged treasure chest portal to the mercantile dimension.

The party made it a fairly decent jog before Yuna had a change of heart in abandoning Kimahri. The awkward stop-gap between Via Purifico and the ultimate boss battle of Bevelle is, of course...

...just an excuse to give the party a chance to do some grinding if necessary. The Bevelle Highroad is stocked with the same crew of enemies defending Yuna's wedding and they all give out some quite nice experience if one is feeling the need to buff the party a bit. Well other than Kimahri. Sheesh, when was the last time the entire party was together and could freely do some decent grinding? Macalania Woods?

In any case, trotting back to the far end of the Bevelle runway will take us to pretty much the final battle of the second act of Final Fantasy X.

In the time since we bailed, Kimahri has managed to err... circle around to the other side of Seymour and continue to engage in an intense staring contest.

Seymour was JUST about to falter but then everyone stormed in and broke Kimahri's concentration. Nice going guys. You know how hard it was for Kimahri to retain his composure and not glance at Seymour's flashing armor nipple highlights?

Music: Enemy Attack

Oh well. I suppose we're just going to have to throw down the old fashioned way. Seymour has evolved into Seymour Natus. Also between scenes, Seymour has made friends with a demonic pair of scissors named Mortibody. Sure, why not? First things first, much like the original battle with Seymour, we once more have Trigger Commands to talk/yell at the Guado creep for some stat boosts. This time Tidus, Yuna, and Auron all get anime passionate speeches to power-up.

“You talk too much, Seymour!”

It's worth noting that Seymour's voice has gotten an echoed distortion filter over it. If he starts giggling and muttering something about a Flower, we might need to worry...

“I'll only be pleased when you're gone to the Farplane!”

I'm curious what would happened if Seymour won here and killed the party. Would he remain a flying purple monstrosity with wings coming out of his rear end and a stone archway for hair. I'm just picturing him crashing through a wall and floating to his position at the Maester assembly room like it's no big deal while Kelk Ronso looks mortified.

“Kinoc was still my friend, Seymour! You will pay for his death!"

I'd be pissed too if someone dissolved my former friend's soul to craft a make-over that looks like the monster of the week from an off-brand sentai series.

Trigger Command buffs out of the way, let's get down to business. Seymour Natus comes packing a respectable 36,000 HP. The Mortibody... (the gently caress even IS a “mortibody?”) on the other hand, only has a trifling 4,000 HP to its name. But there's a reason for that. Mortibody is a strange bugger and kind of runs the show for this entire battle.

Pretty much any handful of halfway decent attacks will kill Mortibody. Tidus alone does around 2,000 HP with his physical attacks. But draining all the HP of the weird pincer parasite hanging out with Seymour Natty-lite won't kill it. Instead, it will use “Mortibsorption” to replenish its HP straight from Seymour's stock. So depleting Mortibody's HP is a free 4,000 damage against Seymour. Which is a strange but semi-effective means to damage Seymour without triggering some of his retaliations.

However there are diminishing returns to this. Mortibody will initially restore for 4,000 but each additional Mortibsorption will reduce its maximum HP by a thousand. The bare minimum it will go is 1,000 HP. It's impossible to fully kill Mortibody without slaying Seymour. So we'll just have to live with the bizarre thing.

Mortibody also has a very annoying attack called Desperado which hits the entire party for middling damage. But more pressingly, it dispels any magic buffs (read: Nul<magic>, Protect, Haste, Etc.) So the usual tactic of getting the A-Team hyped up on the Tidus Haste train is a bit neutered.

Beyond that, Mortibody isn't too much of a threat. Early on it will just cast weak first tier magic spells on the entire party.

However, this seems to give Seynat some nasty ideas, as he will in turn cast the Tier 2 version of the same spell twice. If he's feeling like a real rear end in a top hat, he'll do it on the same party member and probably kill them in the process. The first half of the battle is mostly just dealing with Seymour's magic bullshit.

As far as going on the offensive goes, stocking up a bunch of Overdrives is always a safe bet. I mean other than Kimahri obviously. But even then, Kimahri's Overdrives are mostly terrible.

Aeons can be useful in this battle. But ONLY if Yuna has a Grand Summon Overdrive available or the aeon in question came packing an Overdrive in the chamber. This is because Yuna's summons have exactly one turn to pour on some damage. If Seymour gets to go ahead...?

He is not having ANY of that poo poo and will immediately cast Banish which works like Eject but for aeons. Still, having Bahamut or Shiva pop in to do 9,000+ damage is nothing to sneeze at.

At around 50% health Seymour Rebirth starts switching things up. First of all he'll cast Protect on himself, which is always annoying for a boss to pull. It's of note that Mortibsorption ignores Seymour's shield. So if beating the poo poo out of the weird Seymour pet is avoided up until now, it's a good time to start wrecking the thing to indirectly hurt Seymour.

Neo Seymour also begins casting Break on characters which causes Stone status. This needs to be sorted out immediately because the very next turn Mortibody gets, it will using “Shattering Claw”. Which is normally just a weak physical attack. Unless it is against a Stoned character in which case the attack lives up to is name and the party is down one active member for the rest of the battle. It's a bad scene.

At this point Mortibody seems to be feeling a bit of remorse for leeching so much health off Seymour, so it'll occasionally chime in with a Cura for a good 1,000+ heal on its host. Obnoxious.

This can be avoided if Yuna has grinded down her Sphere Grid enough to unlock Reflect. Indeed, this battle can be made fairly easy using Reflect seeing as almost all of Seymour Natus' attacks are magic based. Tossing a Reflect on Seymour himself will cause all of Mortibody's Cura's to bounce back toward our party. Yuna needs to re-up the Reflects if Mortibody uses Desperado to dispel them. But it is a very effective tactic. Except for one last attack Seymour Natus has up its sleeve soul armor gauntlets.

Flare! A non-elemental magic spell that cannot be reflected and hurts like a bitch. The damage Lulu is getting blasted with is on the light side of things. Flare can easily hit a critical and do 2,500 to 3,000 HP of damage. Bad news at this point in the game. In the second half of the battle Seymour alternates between Break and Flare, with the occasional multi-cast for spice.

That's about all there is to the Seymour Natus boss battle. Though there is kind of an amusing glitch to the Bevelle Highroad battlefield.

Aeons' Overdrives will occasionally gently caress-up and play their animation facing the wrong direction. It's not an emulator glitch. I definitely had this happen on the original PS2 game as well.

In this case, Seymour Natus met an inglorious end thanks to Thorse's butt gyrating as it put on a sick electric light show over the skies of Bevelle.

And with that, Seymour Natus and Mortibody are no more. So I guess we double-killed Seymour...? Is Yuna going to go ahead and Send him now? Are we done with the fruitloop?

Hell if I know! The battle ends and we'll immediately be jettisoned from Bevelle into a completely different location with no mention of the battle's aftermath or Seymour's fate whatsoever!

Bevelle! Not Final Fantasy X's strongest point!

Episode 80 Highlight Reel

Seymour Natus Concept Art

Mortibody Concept Art

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Sorry for the delay. Internet outage earlier. Finishing up Brothers at the top of the hour if you're into that kind of thing.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Ah yes, this rear end in a top hat :shepicide: I don't wanna talk about Seymour Natus.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Theatrhythm's Collectacard for this guy had me thinking "Natus" was Seymour's last name before this LP. :downs: Hey, it's no less logical than the entire Guado race sharing a surname.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

The Dark Id posted:

“Kinoc was still my friend, Seymour! You will pay for his death!"

Times Auron Has Given a gently caress: 1

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Ah yes, this rear end in a top hat :shepicide: I don't wanna talk about Seymour Natus.

Yeah, if you don't either overdrive spam or grinded Yuna back up after her lengthy absence so she has Reflect, he's really nasty. Even on my 'don't use aeons very much' run of the game I did as an adult fourish years back, I ended up having to grand summon Bahamut at least to avoid getting killed.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Wait, Flare can't be reflected?

I remember I had issues with this fight and I really didn't wanna grind without Kimahri, so I looked up some strategies online and discovered you can wait him out if you cast Bio.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
To be fair Id, you gave us a ToQgers screencap last update.

Seymour Natus looks no worse a kaijin than Zett's kaijin form did. But then again, Zett also had that awesome jacket on his Devil Trigger form, and was just cooler overall. But still.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, let's look at the word Montibody. Mort means death, so it would be death body, a okay name for something created by the pyreflies from the death of others.

Seymour killing more people likely results in its upgrade the next time, and the final time is likely from the fact that we are fighting inside a mass of pyreflies.

Dreadful_Dinosaur
Feb 29, 2012

Please just close your eyes as I ruin your childhood.

grandalt posted:

Seymour killing more people likely results in its upgrade the next time, and the final time is likely from the fact that we are fighting inside a mass of pyreflies.

But the final time is arguably the easiest of all four (as he doesn't auto-kill aeons)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dreadful_Dinosaur posted:

But the final time is arguably the easiest of all four (as he doesn't auto-kill aeons)

That fight is the easiest for multiple reasons.

On a less spoilery topic, here's what each of the non-Mika Maesters are in charge of.

* Seymour is the Minister of Temple Affairs, which maintains the temples' rituals and teachings and oversees the summoners.
* Kelk is the Minister of Civil Affairs within Yevon, which is in charge of the judiciary, treasury and general civil administration.
* Kinoc is the Minister of Military Affairs, which is in charge of the general military command.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 29, 2015

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I really hope that Seymour stays a floating purple demon for the rest of the game. Just let Yevon completely drop the facade and go full on evil empire of the dead.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That fight is the easiest for multiple reasons.

Like the fact it's a typical endgame in a JRPG which means you're over-leveled as gently caress from wandering.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I read that in your opinion that while they have a thought out beginning and end with a soggier middle for this game, wasn't that also one of the assumptions made during the Drakengard 3 LP?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

It happens to a surprising number of games. Thinking of Point A and Point B is easy enough, but a lot of writers falter trying to figure out the transition between the two.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

In this case though, you go A, to B, and sequentially up to maybe H. Skip I, Go to J and K. Go to... Tau? Then go to "I" and carry on.

Unfortunately they forgot about "I" until the deadline to publish was a week away and decided the best way to cover that up was with Dragons and Grinding down an airship and fighting with every ounce of their beings not to scream "Do the Dew!"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This guy kicked my rear end the first time I fought him. This playthrough I'm pretty sure my Bahamut could have one shot it with a basic attack. It certainly could have wiped out his third form, hell he could have wiped out Yunalesca's third form in a single physical attack. I short, Invest in the Auron-Yuna, Bosses will melt.

And yeah Macalania->Bevelle really feels like "We got the plot points of Seymour's death, Home's attack, Airship reveal, Wedding Scene, Trial Scene, The Kiss but we have no idea what to do without eye loving the pacing when we have 3 weeks left."

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Seymour Nuts.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Another helpful point if anyone is stuck on Seymour Natus is that he's one of the few bosses that is vulnerable to poison, so if Lulu has learnt Bio you can ruin his day pretty nicely.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Chalk me up as another person who had difficulty with Natus the first time around.

Onmi posted:

And yeah Macalania->Bevelle really feels like "We got the plot points of Seymour's death, Home's attack, Airship reveal, Wedding Scene, Trial Scene, The Kiss but we have no idea what to do without eye loving the pacing when we have 3 weeks left."

Though Onmi brings up a good point. Why is there no Talk command for Rikku during this fight? Did the writers forget that Home got blown up? Was that not penned until after this fight? Has she already made peace with that?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 29, 2015

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Though Onmi brings up a good point. Why is there no Talk command for Rikku during this fight? Did the writers forget that Home got blown up? Was that not penned until after this fight? Has she already made peace with that?

Wakka would be concerned about recent events as well. Lulu is kind of the only one that hasn't had an outstanding reason, like Auron's friendship with Kinoc, to yell at Seymour.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jksRQcI9NA

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

I don't get it. :geno:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Ah this rear end in a top hat. Looking forward to seeing a place that's NOT Bavelle even if it's full of assholish minigames instead

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Fabulousvillain posted:

I don't get it. :geno:

If you don't have time to watch the whole 5 minutes of a great film, cut to 1:40.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So is Auron's friendship with Kinoc something I missed or another thing on the backburner to be expanded upon once we get somewhere more coherent like the end-of-pilgrimage death is?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I don't remember the last half of the game nearly as much as I do the first, but i think it gets explained somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral

AlphaKretin posted:

So is Auron's friendship with Kinoc something I missed or another thing on the backburner to be expanded upon once we get somewhere more coherent like the end-of-pilgrimage death is?

Little of both really, especially if you didn't read from the beginning. (mind you, it's been a while since I read the previous version of the LP.)

Auron and Kinoc talk about something during one of the Jecht Sphere scenes. I forget what though.

• Locked thread