Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

grandalt posted:

Don't worry, Seymour forgot about the Ronso Fangs, who are currently in Luca. He didn't really wipe all of them out.

There's also just flat out more ronso alive. But he did murder most of the race on the mountain. But like Yenke and Bian, they're dead, Kelk's dead. Lots of Ronso got killed and they need to rebuild hard.

Keep in mind that Ronso life is pretty much "No loving homes, you live on your frost mountain and become strong or die" so they weren't that numerous just due to their survival of the fittest mindset. Which also explains why they're so insular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nidoking posted:

Isn't Total Annihilation magic-based? I seem to remember having little trouble surviving it with Shell active.

Yeah, I was going to say this. I remember putting up Protect on everyone back when I first played through the game (because of Cross Cleave and Lance of Atrophy making me think Seymour had gone physical) and then he took a nuclear dump on my party.

The Dark Id posted:

This was not THAT Boss for me. The next one was... You know the one.

That boss fight is atrocious for so many reasons. :argh:

Onmi posted:

There's also just flat out more ronso alive. But he did murder most of the race on the mountain. But like Yenke and Bian, they're dead, Kelk's dead. Lots of Ronso got killed and they need to rebuild hard.

He murdered the three named Ronso and the two or three other Ronso designs in the game. As far as he knew, Kimahri was the last one. Seymour can't help it that he didn't know about the rest of the palette swaps.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 1, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He murdered the three named Ronso and the two or three other Ronso designs in the game. As far as he knew, Kimahri was the last one. Seymour can't help it that he didn't know about the rest of the palette swaps.

The Ronso Fangs have names. :colbert:

Tidus' Cheer is also really nice for that fight since using it five times gives everyone a 1/3 increase in Strength and Defense. As long as you're quick to de-Zombify people Seymour will have a harder time putting you down like he did the cat tribe.

Koushirou
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, this fight took a huge dump on me as a kid. I don't think I ever actually used Bio on anything during my first run through. Neat thing I learned on a recent play through after finding this LP though is that apparently Seymour will never do two actions in a row, he has to go back and forth with Morti. So you can actually Haste Seymour and when he has two turns in a row, he just won't take any action on the second but will still take the poison hit.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's just such a random change. Bio has always done solid damage. It's basically kept Black Mages viable in that period where level 2 spells start tapering off and when they learn the level 3 spells. I get that poison is actually something worth inflicting this time around, but it's literally ONLY these 2 Seymour fights where it's viable (at least, to my knowledge). Anything else her elemental spells will take care of much more efficiently.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Not to mention that Poison is basically worth crap-all in random encounters, since 95% of the game's normal enemies will die to a single attack anyway.

But on the other hand, it's capable of being rather nasty in those other games too. It's got impressive power and no cast time in FF4, and really high power in FF9, and it's non-elemental in both games, so it's pretty broken in those entries. It's slightly less broken in FF5 and 6, since poison is an element in those two, so Bio gets an element that can be resisted and is thus can't be used to wreck absolutely everything. Square just can't seem to help switching it up for most new entries.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Reflect chat, don't forget that you could gently caress up and have to restart your PlayStation in 8 if you were loving around and got careless! I remember a boss fight where the boss cast Reflect on herself, and by that point you had the Carbuncle GF, who casts Reflect on the whole party.

Resulting in a spell bouncing back and forth between your party members' Reflect and hers.

Forever.
Are you sure about that? I remember the strategy guide saying that since spells could only be reflected once you could use Carbuncle and then target yourself to bypass enemy reflect.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Sindai posted:

Are you sure about that? I remember the strategy guide saying that since spells could only be reflected once you could use Carbuncle and then target yourself to bypass enemy reflect.

That's how it works in most FF games but I haven't played 8 and it's a known oddball. :shrug:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I know there's at least one game, FF9, where bouncing a spell off a Reflect amplified its power if you used a sub-skill. In this case it's just a way to make Seymour look like a fool for trying to show off.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I kinda thought you guys were all kidding talking about the little trio of Ronso characters officially dying. Huh. I had no recollection of that plot beat. Probably because its just dryly told to you by Seymour instead of you getting to see it or anything.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
No, I think that once a spell bounces off a Reflect, it can't bounce off another one in FFX. This keeps a player from being able to get Seymore to kill himself with spells.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

VagueRant posted:

I kinda thought you guys were all kidding talking about the little trio of Ronso characters officially dying. Huh. I had no recollection of that plot beat. Probably because its just dryly told to you by Seymour instead of you getting to see it or anything.

Well it's like how if you go back to Besaid after this They mention the warrior monks showing up and looking for Yuna, and how they ran them out of town. But I believe it's impossible to witness the event in question.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VagueRant posted:

The only other way they probably could've shown it is having Seymour waltz up in a new Ronso-fur coat.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Sindai posted:

I distinctly remember pulling it off once and watching the reflected spell bounce back and forth between the boss and the party for ten minutes (i was an easily amused child) before deciding "gently caress this" and putting in Armored Core.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
In VII reflected spells were also reflected back if both sides had it on, but I can't recall if it becomes an infinite loop or if it eventually fades.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only other way they probably could've shown it is having Seymour waltz up in a new Ronso-fur coat.

It'd be much better looking than the mass of fighter jet tentacles or whatever he showed up riding in. I know Final Fantasy is famous for overdesigned everything, but that was such a mess that you can barely describe it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Speedball posted:

I know there's at least one game, FF9, where bouncing a spell off a Reflect amplified its power if you used a sub-skill. In this case it's just a way to make Seymour look like a fool for trying to show off.

In FF9, a spell's strength is multiplied depending on the number of times it's reflected. So if you multi-target your own party and they all have reflect on, almost any black mage spell does 9999 relatively early for like 10 mp.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tae posted:

In FF9, a spell's strength is multiplied depending on the number of times it's reflected. So if you multi-target your own party and they all have reflect on, almost any black mage spell does 9999 relatively early for like 10 mp.

Only against a single enemy. Against a group each bounce does the expected half damage. Against a single enemy each bounce does full damage.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

That said, as Speedball alluded to, there's also a skill for Vivi called Reflectx2 that makes reflection double the damage of the spell. :eng101:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AlphaKretin posted:

That said, as Speedball alluded to, there's also a skill for Vivi called Reflectx2 that makes reflection double the damage of the spell. :eng101:

Yeah, but you can't get it til disk 3.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

When Seymour Flux reaches around 33% health, he and his mount decides to stop everything and get serious. This message means Seymour has begone to charge up his super attack. No, not the Cross Cleave. He has a much deadlier one.

begun

Onmi posted:

Yeah my experience with this fight was not actually a "That One Boss" roadblock I believe. I mean he took a lot of time to kill but I'm pretty sure I actually beat him first or second shot. THE ONE COMING UP ON THE OTHER HAND I'M PRETTY SURE TOOK ABOUT 90 TRIES.

Of course, this playthrough My Yuna was so strong that a single punch from Bahamut took off 70,000 HP and utterly ruined Seymour's day.

How, exactly did you pull that off?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

RareAcumen posted:

How, exactly did you pull that off?

He's been talking throughout the thread about how sending Yuna down Auron's part of the Sphere Grid for strength results in exponential boosts to Aeon strength, which determines their attack power. :getin:

E: The post that inspired Onmi's strength-Yuna playthrough.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 1, 2016

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
This boss is a bitch, but it has NOTHING on the other that boss in my opinion.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

He's been talking throughout the thread about how sending Yuna down Auron's part of the Sphere Grid for strength results in exponential boosts to Aeon strength, which determines their attack power. :getin:

Oh. Neat! I just remember someone saying something about Yuna and Lulu going down each other's sphere grids working out pretty well in reality.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I looked up that challenge run I've mentioned and no prizes for guessing that they used Bio. The only thing I learned is that magic booster makes Bio more likely to work.

Also, that formula for Biran and Yenkes HP is just loving weird.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

This is the part of the game where not having a Skip Cutscene function really sucks.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

E: The post that inspired Onmi's strength-Yuna playthrough.

Like no lie, I'm pretty much done with FFX besides bonus bosses for this exact reason. Bahamut already has max strength as does The Magus Sisters and AnimaAt which point it's not even really a FIGHT for the rest of the game so much as it is a series of 99999 till the end of time.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Tae posted:

This is the part of the game where not having a Skip Cutscene function really sucks.

Aww poo poo I remember this now. I wonder if we can petition them to patch it into the remake.

EDIT: I'd be tempted to try a strength Yuna play through but I'd just say "gently caress it!" before I even got to Besaid because of all the goddamn cutscenes. Speedrunners must be masochists.

Death Zebra fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 1, 2016

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Finally, a sensible top for Lulu while she travels through the frozen lands.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I would legitimately accept straightjacket with boob window over what she's wearing now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Death Zebra posted:

Aww poo poo I remember this now. I wonder if we can petition them to patch it into the remake.

EDIT: I'd be tempted to try a strength Yuna play through but I'd just say "gently caress it!" before I even got to Besaid because of all the goddamn cutscenes. Speedrunners must be masochists.

They literally can't if after two ports, it's still not there but OST switching is put in.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tae posted:

They literally can't if after two ports, it's still not there but OST switching is put in.

Has to be something weird about how they coded it. I seem to recall that they added it to the older Kingdom Hearts games, and I don't think KH1 at least had cutscene skipping.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Has to be something weird about how they coded it. I seem to recall that they added it to the older Kingdom Hearts games, and I don't think KH1 at least had cutscene skipping.

KH1 was reverse-engineered because they lost the original code.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Spiritus Nox posted:

It did not. I really hated everything related to Riku after that.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

"And stay up there" always makes me laugh.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
I think I read something a while ago about how the cutscenes were coded weird/stupid in such a way that you couldn't skip them without loving everything up. Like EVERY single cutscene copies and pastes separate models rigged to perform animations for that particularly cutscene. Instead of just having say a designated Yuna High Quality Model to load and unload for every cutscene, there's a specific high quality Yuna model for a close-up of her looking shocked and another for her running over and reading a certain line. And it's all kind of a mess of scripting that needs to perform before the scene can unload.

It's also the reason character models swap wildly from looking nice to looking like uprezzed Final Fantasy 8 characters. Pretty sure Kingdom Hearts was the same way.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

McDragon posted:

"And stay up there" always makes me laugh.

Especially :downs: with him looking down.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Nohman posted:

I think I read something a while ago about how the cutscenes were coded weird/stupid in such a way that you couldn't skip them without loving everything up. Like EVERY single cutscene copies and pastes separate models rigged to perform animations for that particularly cutscene. Instead of just having say a designated Yuna High Quality Model to load and unload for every cutscene, there's a specific high quality Yuna model for a close-up of her looking shocked and another for her running over and reading a certain line. And it's all kind of a mess of scripting that needs to perform before the scene can unload.

It's also the reason character models swap wildly from looking nice to looking like uprezzed Final Fantasy 8 characters. Pretty sure Kingdom Hearts was the same way.

Why the hell did they do that.

They had the entire psx era to learn NOT to do that

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Acne Rain posted:

Because they had the PS2 - where they could brute force things through that required elegant programming and memory saving solutions for the PS1.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Acne Rain posted:

They had the entire psx era to learn NOT to do that

Entropy is the way of all things, hence it was inevitable that Square-Enix would shed all it's skill and dignity on the long path to heat death

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 1, 2016

• Locked thread