Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

The Dark Id posted:

Yuna pats herself down like she'd been pick-pocketed. Yuna, how did you fail to notice you'd misplaced a baseball sized globe out from... err... where were you even storing that? Up your giant detached sleeves? The big bow attached to your butt? Taped to one of your combat boots? Your options are quite limited on that outfit.

Judging by the animation she uses when you have her drop a Potion or something in battle, she appears to store her belongings in her cleavage.

I hope Tidus didn't get bit by a bear trap or something during the underwater romance bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I can't stop laughing at that dumb triple take of Tidus in the video
http://i.imgur.com/henkEfG.gifv

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah - I don't normally watch the videos, so I assumed at first that Id was creating those gifs as a way to introduce humor or something. Then I watched this most recent video, and welp!

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Golden Goat posted:

I made sure if you clicked the mid-update video, that was nearly the first thing you'd see. The cutscenes here were full of really bad quick cut reaction shots.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Golden Goat posted:

My favorite thing about this gif is Auron in the background, completely unimpressed with the giant space whale about to unleash continental destruction on them.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
The gravity tunnel shots are some of my favorites. Though I never really understood where the explosions came from, since it's just water rushing at them. Chalk it up to magic or friction or something I guess.

Also, the Brother song number is missing italics.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zagglezig posted:

The gravity tunnel shots are some of my favorites. Though I never really understood where the explosions came from, since it's just water rushing at them. Chalk it up to magic or friction or something I guess.

Neither does the party, from all indication, given that they don't start running until the explosions show up. :allears:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

My favorite thing about this gif is Auron in the background, completely unimpressed with the giant space whale about to unleash continental destruction on them.

Mine is the fact that it doesn't zoom in properly, like Tidus just wobbles in and out of frame as it zooms in.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Zagglezig posted:

The explosions are from Anime Laser Syndrome, where they cut so quickly and so brutally that it causes the ground to explode. Sin's was just a really big laser

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
You know, folks here are saying that show of force is a sign of Sin being angry, I see it as Jecht having a bit more control and hitting the level that says empty gravity control tanks in order to make sure Sin can't use that force field we saw it use earlier.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Trojan Kaiju posted:

O'aka is, in fact, not locked up anymore. If for some reason you return to the sphere theater in Luca he's chilling out there, having been released from jail. I don't think he sells anything, though.

His brother Wantz, however, sells gear with 4 empty slots for all characters, if you want to do some customizing. I think he hangs out in Macalania Forest, but it's been a while.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Good ending, thanks for the LP TDI, looking forward to the next one!

Unless you're going for the non-canon all the rest of the scenes in the game?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Zagglezig posted:

If Bloodborne taught me anything it's that any cool laser effect must also cause the ground to explode.

This is a fundamental fact of eldritch horrors life everywhere.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

grandalt posted:

You know, folks here are saying that show of force is a sign of Sin being angry, I see it as Jecht having a bit more control and hitting the level that says empty gravity control tanks in order to make sure Sin can't use that force field we saw it use earlier.

That's actually an interesting point. He could be trying to purposely exhaust himself before a fight actually breaks out.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Weird to think these cutscenes were directed like this THREE YEARS after Metal Gear Solid.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Weird to think these cutscenes were directed like this THREE YEARS after Metal Gear Solid.

Whoa, whoa, let's not go thinking that MGS was some sort of Citizen Kane of gaming or anything here.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like this part of the game, it gets very cheesy but it fits so well. Also I like that they seem to have realised we haven't seen Sin do much recently and could do with a reminder, so here's some huge landscape-changing, visible-from-space attacks. But the party shouldn't be too worried, Gravity attacks only do percentage damage. :v:

Also according to the FF wiki, this was a prototype idea for a Sin design. Thought it looked interesting. Dunno why there's a spork sticking out of it though.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

McDragon posted:

I like this part of the game, it gets very cheesy but it fits so well. Also I like that they seem to have realised we haven't seen Sin do much recently and could do with a reminder, so here's some huge landscape-changing, visible-from-space attacks. But the party shouldn't be too worried, Gravity attacks only do percentage damage. :v:

Also according to the FF wiki, this was a prototype idea for a Sin design. Thought it looked interesting. Dunno why there's a spork sticking out of it though.

:stare:

I... I think I'm okay with the giant doom whale, thanks.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

McDragon posted:

Reminds me of Monster Hunter's Yamatsukami.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

McDragon posted:

Doom Whale is definitely scarier than big turnip.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

McDragon posted:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Doom Whale is definitely scarier than big turnip.

I don't disagree, but I dunno, you could still make that design pretty hosed up with another pass or two. Make it as big as the Sin we got, have it just walk on top of the ocean on those ridiculously long legs, put more stuff on the back, add more tentacles, give it a good roar...yeah, you could do something with that. v:shobon:v

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Well, okay, I can see how "Sin" would fit the theme here.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Yeah, first thing my mind went to. I guess having a Salvador Dali painting as the final boss is no weirder than having an HR Giger boss in FFIV.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Zagglezig posted:

Random explosions out of nowhere?
Feyerbrand was right, this IS the Mighty Morphin Yevon Rangers.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

McDragon posted:

I prefer Evil Bismarck, thanks.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Can somebody please replace the cross in his hand with a Blitzball.

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral

Golden Goat posted:

Can somebody please replace the cross in his hand with a Blitzball.

It's not the greatest, but eh.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Now, in this case the anticipation curve is non-linear, so you call it the Sin Shot Lv. 1 and leave them dreading ever seeing 2 or 3.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm gonna guess Salvador Dali had the same poo poo wrong in his brain that H.R Giger had. Or at least something similar. :psypop:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm gonna guess Salvador Dali had the same poo poo wrong in his brain that H.R Giger had. Or at least something similar. :psypop:

Dali did a whole lotta hash and was a surrealist artist

Giger liked grotesque art and the melding of organic and inorganic structures, and was also a perv

They did not have some ineffable "poo poo wrong" in their brains.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Burger Flipper posted:

It's not the greatest, but eh.

I love it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Dali did a whole lotta hash and was a surrealist artist

Giger liked grotesque art and the melding of organic and inorganic structures, and was also a perv

They did not have some ineffable "poo poo wrong" in their brains.

It was also a joke, I know they were not hosed in the head any more so than most people. Well, maybe Dali, after all the hash.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CXIV: Our Unlikely Success

Music: Crisis

Despite everyone clearly being engulfed in an inferno of hellfire visible from outer space in that previous scene, all it managed to do was knock everyone down. Forget Yu Yevon's Sin Armor. The party's intense Plot Armor is unshakable.

Oh... Uhh... Hi... You sure moved fast between scenes. Indeed, prepare for Sin to teleport wildly between cutscenes and even cuts in the same scene. Sin cannot actually teleport. The storyboarding for this sequence is just godawful. Also there's the fact the CGI sequences were clearly made long before they locked down any of the gameplay elements revolving it.

"Hey, I saw somethin' shine on the base of Shin's arm! I reckon its a weak spot!"
”Yep. Big old glowin' purple weak spot. Huh. Weird nobody's ever noticed that til now, eh?”

Music: Attack

[What, what?]
[We are pulled by Sin!]

[I just said that, Rikku!]
[Nobody but me can understand you out here!]
“I can.”
“...”
“...Since when?”
“Yeah, I just finished learning Al Bhed back in that Omega Ruins dump.”
“...”
“...What?! How?”
“I picked up the last of these Al Bhed Primer thingies. Taught me your alphabet. Z is W? Wild.”
[Totally fluent in Al Bhed now.]
[...You are just messing with me now.]
“I'm not messing with you.”
“The fu—“

[Too late! It comes!]

Welp. I guess we're just fighting Sin now like it was any other throwaway boss. This all feels... really unearned, if we're being honest. Forget the LP's schedule, in which the party took a month off for an intense training montage, each collecting legendary weapons and powering them up while getting beefy stat upgrades in the processes.

As far as the plot of Final Fantasy X's is concerned, this whole sequence is taking place almost immediately after the events in Zanarkand. The biggest threat the party faced was Yunalesca, a rather powerful undead sorceress lady that still required a seven-on-one beat down to defeat. And now we've just immediately jumped from that to going “gently caress it, we can just go fight Sin, right?” There's no escalation leading up to this. Or even a reason as to why we're rushing half-cocked into this situation. Sin hasn't gotten to be any more of a direct threat that must be stopped this instant. Nor has the party gained any key advantage they can use to challenge the doom whale.

It's not as though it would be that hard to write in a lame justification as to why we're now jumping to the final battle. Here: Killing Yunalesca and screwing up the whole Pilgrimage cycle had disrupted Sin's programming and now it's on a rampage heading for Bevelle. A decent chunk of Spira's population will be incredibly dead unless we go sort out the mess we made. There! Lame justification. It even gives more of a reason for Yo Mika to been “gently caress this noise” immediately. Instead, this whole thing feels like a TV series that found out it wasn't being renewed mid-shoot of the season and had to scramble to wrap everything up. Or more like they had the ending bits in place, but had to half-rear end the connecting threads getting there.

But whatever. We're now facing Sin and its newly discovered glowing weak points. Thank heavens Sin decided today was a good day to take a leisurely afternoon flight and leave its structural weak points conveniently exposed like this. It's also fortunate that Sin has neglected to employ that massive energy shield it could conjure up earlier in the game. You know, the one that could tank concentrated cannon fire from an entire army and send out pulses that disintegrated anything within a couple mile radius?

Hey, remember how just being in Sin's vicinity caused localized hurricane force winds capable of razing entire villages? Or the endless barrages of Sin Spawn it could shoot out with pinpoint accuracy? Oh yeah, don't forget the poison Sin Toxin it farted all over when even just a little cranky. It's all fine. None of that will come up ever again.

This battle has the same airship mechanics as the fight against Evrae way back during the initial visit to Bevelle. Well, minus the missile salvos, as they're depleted regardless of whether or not they were used against Bevelle's guardian dragon. Rikku or Tidus can command Cid to move the airship closer to the target, so the entire party can attack.

At range, only Wakka can physically attack and magic will be the only way to begin running down the Left Fin's 65,000 HP. Which at this point, isn't much of a problem considering I've got Wakka hitting for five digit damage and Yuna 2/3rds of the way down Lulu's Sphere Grid helping on the magic front. But, we'll give Sin a sporting chance by flying in to see what a Sin Zit can accomplish.

The Sin Fin is fairly passive as far as attacking goes. At range, it just hangs out until the party has attacked 7+ times.

After that, it will get fed-up with people poking its acne and will ram the Fahrenheit doing... surprisingly little damage considering it's about 50 stories tall.

After either being attacked a handful of times or falling below 66% health, the Left Fin's boil will begin charging up energy for a turn. Next round...

Next round, it will release Gravija, the second tier Gravity attack which reduces the entire party's HP to 25%. It's real nice we don't have to worry about maintaining the Fahrenheit's structural integrity during these battles. Getting shoulder checked by a doom whale? It's fine. Localized black hole opened up on stern of the ship? Little bit of turbulence. It already tanked a nuclear explosion without as much as spoiling the paint job. They knew how to build 'em back in the day.

In any case, bringing Auron's HP down to critical with his Masamune is a bad overall strategy on Sin's part. So concludes the battle against the Left Fin.

“Here we go!”

So who's ready for a big ol' rear end pull?

Remember during Operation Mi'ihen where the Al Bhed had that massive Tesla Cannon type set-up to combat Sin? Didn't go so hot then.

Well, turns out the Fahrenheit had one of those strapped on this entire time. Or maybe Cid had one installed while we were off gallivanting about capturing monsters or visiting Seymour's mom. Doesn't matter! Don't worry about it.

The point is, the Fahrenheit now has a giant gently caress-off laser cannon powerful enough to blow Sin's fin clean off in a single shot after we significantly weaken it with blades and magic. You know, you could have just added a short sequence about gathering resources used in restoring this cannon on the airship as a justification for stepping up to rumble with Sin. Hell, just say there's some nifty weapons cache in the Omega Ruins or something. It's not that hard! Just going “oh by the way, I've got this thing that ACTUALLY will do all the work wrecking Sin while you idiots poke its zits” seems... poorly written.

It's worth noting that this is, in fact, a boss rush and each battle is counted as a separate encounter if everyone wants to get on the AP train.

"Couldn't have done it without you! All right! Everyone look sharp! Time to hit the other side!"
"Easy for you to say!"

Time for Round 2 against the Right Fin. This is... the same exact boss battle. They fiddled with a few settings like it attacking a bit earlier and the like. But stats wise and moveset... yeah they just copy and pasted this one.

So we'll just skip ahead to the chase and pop this zit straight away.

Sin is not having a great day. Huh. Who knew the key to ending this past millennium of suffering was just to put a bunch of research points into aviation and beam weaponry? And hoping Sin gets drunk and forgets half its abilities, while simultaneously deciding to become an aerial threat rather than an aquatic one. :v:

I really hope we're still flying over the ocean. It's not going to be great PR for the party if one of Sin's fins lands on a fishing village or crushes a family having a picnic.

[It is over.]
[What? We have only begun!]
[But the main gun, it is broken!]
[Th-That cannot be!]
[I said we should wait and finish repairing gun. But no! Everyone all eager to fight Sin like lunatics!]
[Well... It was workin'... mostly.]
“...”

The thought of Sin's fin raining 10,000 gil across the sky like a big pinata when broken makes me smile.

"Dang it! All right, back inside! Time for another plan!"
"No! We're going in!”

Tidus shut the gently caress UP about blitzball! I swear to God, I will digitize my arm and slap you so hard it will knock the bleach out of your hair! When you've got the ball, you either score the one time. Or you take the ball and sit in your goal for three minutes so the garbage game ends quicker. Your motivational statement is stupid and so are you.

Hey, remember that whole half-baked affection stat? The one that determined who Tidus had a romantic snowmobile ride with back at Macalania? Here's the only other scene where that stat dictates what happens in a cutscene. Which, in my case, has apparently shifted from Rikku to Lulu in the time since then. That makes sense, since I barely ever use Rikku more than a couple turns in a fight. Also Lulu's slow rear end was quite prone to getting wrecked and needing healing back when black magic was the crux of our fights.

Whoever takes the lead leaps off the edge of the Fahrenheit onto... hey, wasn't Sin just several miles away just a few seconds ago...? Also, behold the only time we see the void below Lulu's dress in-game.

In case you're curious, the alternate bits of dialog before the suicide leap are:

"Let's go!"
"Foolhardy... But a fun plan."
"See you there!"
"Go, go, go!"
"On my honor as Ronso!"

Yep. Sure. Everyone just leap off the edge of the airship and skydive on the back of the flying doom whale. A good a plan as any.

This game got incredibly dumb in a remarkably quick span of time.

Sin responds to the invasion of its personal space by breaking out in a nervous fit of back acne. I mean technically this Sin is ten years old. It's just hitting puberty real early.

Erupting from the popped zit we are confronted by Sinspawn Genasis. Eww. That's dangerously close to “Genesis” and I don't want that name invoked in any Final Fantasy title again. But wait... Heeeeey... wait a minute!

We've already done this one! This is just a palette swap of Sinspawn Geneaux from back on Kilika Island... minus a couple of helper tentacles.

Technically, we are fighting both Sinspawn Copypastux and the Sin Core behind it. The Sin Core is quite similar to the two Sin Fin cores. Only it has just 36,000 HP this time along with Sinspawn Genasis' meager 20,000. It will burn a turn to charge up before unleashing Gravija the following turn. Meanwhile, Zitspawn will attack with poison afflicting attacks and the occasional Waterga.

At least it would if the party didn't obliterate it immediately before it got a chance to attack. My party is overpowered as hell at this point. But I'm willing to give new encounters a chance to show off their stuff before being torn asunder by overwhelming offensive capabilities. I will not, however, give any quarter to more goddamn palette swap encounters.

And the same goes for the Sin Core. Beyond charging up and farting out Gravija, all the Sin Core does is occasionally throw in the rogue second tier magic spell. This series of battles is piss easy whether you've grinding through all the Endgame content or are fresh off the airship from Zanarkand.

Why did Sin have a cache of mascot dolls attached to its back...?

Music ends...

So... we took down Sin. That was... shockingly simple considering the last time anyone challenged Sin it resulted in the death of several hundred soldiers.

Oh nice, we got an audience for our triumphant victory over Sin. You thought Yuna was a big celebrity before...? Sheesh. They'll never leave her alone now.

Wait a sec... poo poo... Where did we end up shooting down Sin?

”Welp...”
“Aww geez...”
“Was there... a lot of people... living there...?”
“Hmph. Nobody we knew.”

Whoops. We accidentally crashed Sin into the biggest population center on the planet and the only place it rarely attacked. Nice going, team! Good hustle!

Video: Episode 114 Highlight Reel
(Recommended Viewing)

Early Sin Concept Art

VERY Early Sin Concept Art

CRAB BATTLE Sin Concept Art

Sin Official Art

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 16, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It really does feel like they ran outta time after Zanarkand and just decided to jump to the Sin fight.

Would have made sense to have you go somewhere to learn more about sin, I mean they could have found out that he's made of pireflies and had a plan revolving around disrupting that or something.

E: It is ridiculous how gigantic Bevelle is and how little we see of it.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 16, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Up to this point they were doing really. really well on the 'Sin is an unstoppable unkillable abomination' front.

And then a bunch of schlubs flail around on its back for a few minutes with nothing happening.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I had forgotten how utterly lazy the storytelling of this part of the game is, even compared to the rest of the game. How many more things can they just handwave before the end!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Man. This is just making me aware of how I totally forgot everything after Yunalesca.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

This whole Sin fighting bit gets very silly. Getting in the innards and breaking vital bits makes sense, but getting into a straight-up fight first is just ridiculous. I do like the silliness in a way, but it just throws all sense of Sin danger out the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Sin looks much dumber than I thought it would. If it was just a weird whale monster sans legs it would have been better.

• Locked thread