Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
See now a REAL plan would be to turn Auron into some kind of Counter-Sin by getting him to chug down pyreflies too, then have a giant battle with two Sins and zero fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Danaru posted:

See now a REAL plan would be to turn Auron into some kind of Counter-Sin by getting him to chug down pyreflies too, then have a giant battle with two Sins and zero fucks.

Fill a lake with booze and wait for Jecht-Sin to come get shitfaced until it passes out. Then climb on and stab the poo poo out of it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Fill a lake with booze and wait for Jecht-Sin to come get shitfaced until it passes out. Then climb on and stab the poo poo out of it.

That's pretty much what Tidus and friends did, minus the lake of booze part :v:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
They could use Tidus as kind of a Sin bypass to get into Zanarkand and fight a sapient Yu Yevon directly.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

Geostomp posted:

They could use Tidus as kind of a Sin bypass to get into Zanarkand and fight a sapient Yu Yevon directly.

For all we know, Jecht WAS dream Yu Yevon. I mean, Yu Yevon was Zanarkan's leader and Jecht was pretty much pretty much treated like the most important person of Dream Zanarkand, even 10 years later, much like a leader would be. Unless you are saying there was a actual second Yu Yevon there alongside the one inside Sin that wasn't just acting on pre-determined directives.

OminousEdge fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 4, 2016

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

OminousEdge posted:

For all we know, Jecht WAS dream Yu Yevon. I mean, Yu Yevon was Zanarkan's leader and Jecht was pretty much pretty much treated like the most important person of Dream Zanarkand, even 10 years later, much like a leader would be. Unless you are saying there was a actual second Yu Yevon there alongside the one inside Sin that wasn't just acting on pre-determined directives.

I was actually reading the FF wiki yesterday (so take this info with a grain of salt, I suppose), and apparently one of the Ultimanias mentions that Dream Zanarkand's citizens have been living a normal life for the past 1000 years, including having children, growing old, and dying. So Tidus couldn't be Dream Shuyin (who presumably died a natural death 1000 years ago), but he might be a descendant of Dream Shuyin.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

END ME SCOOB posted:

That's the entire gameplay loop of Radiant Historia and both games rock, don't hate.
Radiant Historia had the most competent protagonist I have ever seen.

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
Warning: Story might be stupid.

Truer words were never spoken. Good night Tidus, and sweet dreams.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Elric posted:

Radiant Historia had the most competent protagonist I have ever seen.

He pretty much had to be, in order to perfectly remember his script every single time he jumped timelines and back.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I'm a sucker for games with lots of branching paths and bad endings with only one truly good ending involved. That's probably what also got me into a game like Virtue's Last Reward. Oh dear lord, let's never hope Id never tries to get into the the Zero Escape series. Let's leave that to Fedule.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Zero didn't escape when the controller was in _his_ hands.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Derek Barona posted:

He pretty much had to be, in order to perfectly remember his script every single time he jumped timelines and back.

Stocke is about as competent as a protagonist can be without being a Gary Stu. Winds up being pretty refreshing really

Why ARE dumbass JRPG protagonists the norm anyway

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Stocke is about as competent as a protagonist can be without being a Gary Stu. Winds up being pretty refreshing really

Because these games are made for teenagers and teenagers are dumb so a dumb protagonist is someone they can relate to.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Often the protagonists are meant to be the lens through which the player views the game's story, and the best way to learn about details is through an inquisitive protagonist that knows about as much as the player. However it often feels like a lot of JRPG's go full dumbass so you have completely clueless idiots like Tidus spewing out dumb ideas and plans that shouldn't work.

Then you get protagonists like Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia who are savvy on the world around them and I wish we could get more like that.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Because they think of a scene, and then they think, "how can I get the heroes and villains to set up this scene", and often the answer is "if they were smart, it wouldn't happen". So, dumb it is.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
JRPG's, like many other stories, are frequently told from the perspective of an outsider since it allows for easy and natural worldbuilding. Also having a character behave stupidly or illogically makes the writing easier.

Honestly by the standards of dumb jrpg protagonists, Tidus isn't even that bad. Compare him to Ceodore from FF4 The After Years. Ceodore seems like they legitimately tried to write him as mentally retard. His catch phrase is "Huh?" because every single plot point, no matter how simple, has to explained to him a second time in simplest possible terms by the other characters.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Because anime. Japanese made games always tended to share cliches and the like with anime.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 5, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

How Rude posted:

Often the protagonists are meant to be the lens through which the player views the game's story, and the best way to learn about details is through an inquisitive protagonist that knows about as much as the player. However it often feels like a lot of JRPG's go full dumbass so you have completely clueless idiots like Tidus spewing out dumb ideas and plans that shouldn't work.

It's one of the reasons why I like Tales of the Abyss. Not only is Luke's idiocy explained in-story, it's also plot relevant! (For those who haven't played the game, or read the excellent LP of it in the archives: Luke suffered total amnesia 7 years before the game started as the result of a kidnapping, and has spent the time since then being locked in his family manor for his own protection. He knows nothing of the outside world, and this bites him repeatedly. The rest of the party treat him like the audience treats dumbass protagonists until he beats them over the head with just how bad a position he started out in - his line of "I had to relearn what my parents look like!" is quite poignant in getting the rest of the party - and the audience to start being better people to him.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

I dont know posted:

JRPG's, like many other stories, are frequently told from the perspective of an outsider since it allows for easy and natural worldbuilding. Also having a character behave stupidly or illogically makes the writing easier.

Yeah. A lot of game worlds have things which need to be explained to the player, but they're things which most people in the setting should already know about, which makes it difficult to write in the necessary information without making the protagonist seem dumb.

quote:

Honestly by the standards of dumb jrpg protagonists, Tidus isn't even that bad.

Yeah. I mean in this LP for instance, I recall people criticizing Tidus for telling everyone that he was from Zanarkand, but if you take out Dark Id's additions, not so much. He tells Rikku on the ship at the start of the game, before he knew Zanarkand was destroyed a thousand years earlier, and she gives him the "Sin Toxins" excuse. One trip via Sin later and he ends up on Besaid and tells Wakka he's from Zanarkand. Wakka goes :what: and Tidus immediately walks it back and says he got too many "Sin Toxins". Wakka is the one who spreads Tidus's story to the rest of Besaid and to Yuna.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I would also say most protags that people call "dumb" are actually just naive that are in way over their heads than legitimately inept, because there's a tendency to beboop decisions into "no one calm, out of the situation, and twice the age of this boy would make this decision."

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Tae posted:

I would also say most protags that people call "dumb" are actually just naive that are in way over their heads than legitimately inept, because there's a tendency to beboop decisions into "no one calm, out of the situation, and twice the age of this boy would make this decision."

Yeah, having out-of-context perspective really lets you keep a level head through a lot of the poo poo most JRPG protags find themselves in. The villain just grabbed your girl and told you to hand over the key to his plans or he'll slit her throat? As a player, you think "Don't do it, he's a loving liar, don't be stupid." As the guy in that position, with that knife up against my girl's neck, I wouldn't even hesitate. Perspective's a wonderful thing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

How Rude posted:

Then you get protagonists like Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia who are savvy on the world around them and I wish we could get more like that.

Fire Emblem's kinda interesting for this recently, since Fates and Awakening went in basically the opposite direction.

In Awakening, Robin starts the game amnesic, so everything gets explained to him, but by the halfway point he spends most of his time being the smartest guy in the room. When he makes a questionable call, there's usually a scene beforehand explaining why, despite it being a bad call, it seemed like the least bad from an unpleasant set, and he usually makes at least okay ones. He also gets a scene which explains he had a plan going in the background for multiple missions that the player didn't even know about, just so he could humiliate an enemy with how dumb he is before killing him.

Fates gives us... Corrin. Now, he's slightly less of an idiot in the other two routes, but Conquest Corrin does his level best to win the "Dumbest JRPG protagonist" award. At one point, he can't recognize his (possible) wife when she puts on a different dress. His wife who is the only person in the game with nearly floor length blue hair, who is singing the one song she knows and using water magic, her unique ability which no-one else has.

gently caress's sake, Corrin.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

chiasaur11 posted:

Fates gives us... Corrin. Now, he's slightly less of an idiot in the other two routes, but Conquest Corrin does his level best to win the "Dumbest JRPG protagonist" award. At one point, he can't recognize his (possible) wife when she puts on a different dress. His wife who is the only person in the game with nearly floor length blue hair, who is singing the one song she knows and using water magic, her unique ability which no-one else has.

I suppose you would have to be legally retarded to go back to your father who, implicitly and explicitly, attempted to murder you and a crowd of innocents and pin the blame on you just to start a war. Conquest just runs with that retarded element of that decision.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Birthright it is, then! Thanks for the advice... FFX LP Thread...?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rangpur posted:

It's too bad because Conquest is 100x the game Birthright is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Please do not let story strength influence which Fire Emblem Fates game you wish to purchase.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Rangpur posted:

Nooooo Conquest blows away Birthright in terms of being a game.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If you're looking for a solid story, Fates has no good choice.

Spend that $40 on FFX instea- ahahaha okay no, don't.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

chiasaur11 posted:

Was it a "Higher brain functions encountered the error: my fiancee is HOT; reeboting consciousness now" situation or is he really that stupid?

Also, remind me, Birthright is the one were you go back to the "good"* monarchy while Conquest is the one where you stay with the "evil"* empire, right?

*good and evil descriptors assigned only based on standard jRPG cliché characterization of nations, actual morality may vary.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omobono posted:

Was it a "Higher brain functions encountered the error: my fiancee is HOT; reeboting consciousness now" situation or is he really that stupid?

Also, remind me, Birthright is the one were you go back to the "good"* monarchy while Conquest is the one where you stay with the "evil"* empire, right?

*good and evil descriptors assigned only based on standard jRPG cliché characterization of nations, actual morality may vary.

He is Just That Stupid. The game just sometimes hopes you won't notice.

And yeah, you have the descriptors right. The really impressive thing is how they manage to have a protagonist of the "butter wouldn't melt in his mouth" school, while having him work for a king who views drop-kicking puppies as "a bit too nuanced".

(The trick is having a protagonist who is too stupid to live.)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It's silly because they have all the materials to make the Conquest plot work. Nohr still has good people in it regardless of King Garon being a psychopath, and the Hoshidans are honestly super super racist. You can work with that. Raising opposition against Garon from within makes a good story.

But no we're just going to overlook Rampant Villainy :downs:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Omobono posted:

To be fair, "Fiancee" is really only if you're heavily pursuing that due to the innate hilarity of being able to grind up to marriage at that point.

But Corrin is just stupid, because the plot approaches "How do we make X happen" with "Just have the protagonist be stupid." Keep in mind people do overblow the "Stupidity" of staying with Nohr after Garon tried to kill you, but Corrin's pretty obviously staying mostly for the siblings who actually care for him, and at several points says that he's trying to reform Nohr, which he can't do on the other side stabbing swords.

A lot of the rage comes from players of course, not wanting to be in such a passive role. They want an active role, and the obviously evil bad guy is right there. Of course it's completely unreasonable in-game to just say "gently caress it lets kill him!" Because 1. You would have no allies except the aforementioned blue hair girl, in the middle of territory that would instantly become hostile and Insta-Gib would not be an adequate enough example.

No the point where everything gets really dumb is when Corrin finds out what's actually going on and that he will have to kill Garon. And Azura's suggestion and plan is "We have to Conquer the good guys to save the good guys." It... has an explanation but it's really a bad plan and there are a hundred other better options. It's only the way it is because, as mentioned, They need to get the game to a certain point, that is, invading the opposite nation to the one you picked, so everyone gets Dunce caps.

The worst thing is, like said, Conquest has really nice plot points, they just aren't used well. Garon is such a vicious, vile monster because he's been dead, and just a corpse being puppeted by something elses familiar (Buy the third DLC basically) But we have no context of Garon before his possession besides a few supports that say he was a good dad, and while stern was genuinely very nice. So we can't understand when someone like Xander wants to stand by his father despite his father being an obvious villain. Also the plot has you spend the first half going around and 'putting down' the Nohr Rebellions, so you encounter all these leaderless, scattered factions who all want to overthrow the king. You'd think the plot would be uniting all those rebellions into a full blown resistance and overthrowing your bad-dad. But nope. Gotta invade the good guys so you can fight your siblings because that's what happened on the other route even though it made sense then.

Thank god it has a skip cutscene button and is genuinely so loving fun.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Final Fantasy X - In the Japanese version,

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Fates has some of the worst writing imaginable in a JRPG. It's a shame because the central idea has potential, but the writers weren't at all able to handle it and it got chopped up into three games so the bad decisions only became more noticeable as it went on. Corrin and Azura being quite possibly the worst characters in the game and worst leads in the entire series does not help.

chiasaur11 posted:

Fire Emblem's kinda interesting for this recently, since Fates and Awakening went in basically the opposite direction.

In Awakening, Robin starts the game amnesic, so everything gets explained to him, but by the halfway point he spends most of his time being the smartest guy in the room. When he makes a questionable call, there's usually a scene beforehand explaining why, despite it being a bad call, it seemed like the least bad from an unpleasant set, and he usually makes at least okay ones. He also gets a scene which explains he had a plan going in the background for multiple missions that the player didn't even know about, just so he could humiliate an enemy with how dumb he is before killing him.

Exactly. Corrin and Azura being sappy idiots is so much more noticeable since their immediate predecessors were so on the ball about things.

It's silly because they have all the materials to make the Conquest plot work. Nohr still has good people in it regardless of King Garon being a psychopath, and the Hoshidans are honestly super super racist. You can work with that. Raising opposition against Garon from within makes a good story.

But no we're just going to overlook Rampant Villainy :downs:

The game also states that Nohr is suffering from resource scarcity while Hosido has far more than they need, so you have an easy place to start, but no. Adding any depth at all would require making Hosido anything but lily white pure and the game will never allow that. There's a reason people tend to hate Hoshido as a whole in the fanbase.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Geostomp posted:

Fates has some of the worst writing imaginable in a JRPG. It's a shame because the central idea has potential, but the writers weren't at all able to handle it and it got chopped up into three games so the bad decisions only became more noticeable as it went on. Corrin and Azura being quite possibly the worst characters in the game and worst leads in the entire series does not help.

I haven't played the game, but I've heard that Treehouse did an absolutely garbage job with the translation and localization so that might be another reason.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Scintilla posted:

I haven't played the game, but I've heard that Treehouse did an absolutely garbage job with the translation and localization so that might be another reason.
In lieu of giving in to the temptation to derail further, I will simply reply "No", suggest you PM Endorph if you're legitimately curious, and recommend to TDI to put the thread to bed because this line of conversation has a history of going nowhere very fast.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Scintilla posted:

While they did, not in this particular case. It's more of a case of the character type of Corrin being... I don't have a better example so Kira Yamoto.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
close the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Yeah, we're not having a loving Fire Emblem localization controversy dumpster fire derail. Adios, Final Fantasy X.

Thank you for playing!

• Locked thread