Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The movie covers all of maybe the first two or three volumes of eight in all. Short answer; yes. Also if you're going to read Nausicaa, do yourself a biiig favour and get the big two-volume hardcover deluxe set.

The movie is volumes 1,2 and 6, all jammed together. The manga has six volumes, and generally makes sense.

It also has Chiyoko, and she's pretty much the best.

Middle aged woman, built like a drat bunker and trained in pretty much every military grade weapon you can think of. Her job is to loving wreck people in fights, and she's drat good at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXXXVIII: Settle My Grudge

Music: People of the North Pole

”Maester Kelk promise Biran rend something asunder by day end. Biran rending will not be denied.”

”Maester Kelk promise Yenke can watch Biran rend infidel asunder. Yenke prove horn hardest!”

Alright... Let's try that again. Time for the solitary solo character boss gimmick since we've gotten a full party. Now, getting to this boss fight you might be worried because... well, it's Kimahri. He's hot garbage in a battle and there's a very good chance you may have never bothered to use him much at all beyond required segments of the game.

But worry not. The developers themselves seem to have known nobody used Kimahri. As such, Biran and Yenke here scale to Kimahri's stats. I've had Kimahri going down Rikku's path since before we even got Rikku, since stealing is useful and early game Kimahri is generally not. Let's take a look at how that effects these two numskulls.

Final Fantasy Wiki on obscure battle stats posted:

HP Calculation:
Kimahri's STR x STR x STR = Value 1
Kimahri's MAG x MAG x MAG = Value 2
(Value 1 + Value 2) / 2 x 16 / 15 = Value 3
(Value 3 / 32 + 30) x 586 / 730 = HP Value

STR/MAG Calculation:
Kimahri's HP - 644 / 200 = STR/MAG Value
Biran's HP is then determined as HP Value x 8.

Strength is determined by (0 = 11, 1 = 12, 2 = 13, 3 = 15, 4 = 17, 5 = 19, 6 = 21, 7 = 22, 8 = 23, 9 = 24, 10 = 25, 11+ = 27).

Magic is half of Yenke's and his Agility is Kimahri's Agility -4.

HP Calculation:
Kimahri's STR x STR x STR = Value 1
Kimahri's MAG x MAG x MAG = Value 2
(Value 1 + Value 2) / 2 x 16 / 15 = Value 3
(Value 3 / 32 + 30) x 586 / 730 = HP Value

STR/MAG Calculation:
Kimahri's HP - 644 / 200 = STR/MAG Value
Yenke's HP is then determined as HP Value x 8.

Yenke's Magic is determined by (0 = 8, 1 = 8, 2 = 9, 3 = 10, 4 = 12, 5 = 14, 6 = 16, 7 = 17, 8 = 19, 9 = 20, 10 = 21, 11+ = 22).

His Strength is half of Biran's and his Agility is Kimahri's Agility -8.

So having Kimahri running down Rikku's path also had the benefit of making this duo pretty easy to deal with overall. I hope you weren't being a cheating jerk buffing Kimahri's stats to max with a Gameshark or something. If so, strap in for a half hour long fight as Bulk and Skull here will have millions of HP to burn through thanks to your lack of ethics.

One key component of this battle is that Yenke and Biran, being Ronso and all thus innate Blue Mages Ronso Rage users, are lousy with techniques that Kimahri can Lancet out of 'em if he'd missed any during the pilgrimage.

Yenke is sporting Fire, Stone, and Water Breath.

Biran has Doom and Self-Destruct on his roster of missable Ronso Rages. He also comes with a brand new Ronso Rage in Thrust Kick – a powerful physical Overdrive that makes Kimahri's Jump completely obsolete. As if anyone used Kimahri's Overdrives more than once in a blue moon. Yes, I'm sure you used them a bunch and think Kimahri is under rated, thread poster. Tell yourself whatever lies which help you sleep at night.

There is another benefit to having Kimahri traveled Rikku's path. Biran and Yenke are holding onto five Level 3 Keyspheres that can be pilfered during the course of this battle. I think we've had all of maybe one of 'em prior to this point. So making Kimahri into a woefully ineffective Thief/Blue Mage/Dragoon multi-class mess works to our benefit here.

Offensive wise, Yenke can use his Ronso Rages at any time to burp out a fireball or barf out enough water to keep a small village hydrated for a week. Thankfully, he keeps the Stone Breath locked away for this battle. That would be less than sporting.

Biran can cast Thunder and Blizzard as in some alternate party he'd been dabbling in the black mage's sphere grid but hadn't been leveled in ages as well. Since Kimahri's magic stats are garbage, so too is Biran's casting ability. Of course, these two knuckleheads can still pull off basic physical attacks that pack much more of a punch. But more likely, they'll perform the secondary gimmick of this battle...

Bulldoze is an attack both Yenke and Biran can perform wherein they perform a running clothesline physical attack against Kimahri and will shift their position on the battlefield. Yenke and Biran will usually take turns doing bulldoze and eventually return to being on the same side of the field.

There's no positional damage in Final Fantasy X. Back attacks do not exist so having Kimahri stuck in a pincer isn't any sort of a disadvantage. Indeed, it's more in Kimahri's favor that the two rival Ronso are separated.

That's because Biran and Yenke both have Auto-Guard and will tank any physical attacks for their partner while they're occupying the same part of the battlefield. Given Kimahri's lack of much in the way of magic, that's a touch problematic.

But, Auto-Guard doesn't work when there's nobody next to them to take a blow. Kind of a glaring flaw in their battle strategy. I'm starting to think Ronso are just a race of that movie version of the tall, muscle bound bouncer at clubs with the glass jaw. Ya know... except tribal cats.

Indeed, laying the damage while the two Ronso are apart is the best strategy in general. Once Biran drops to 25% HP he'll cast Mighty Guard. If he's with Biran when this occurs, his sidekick will also get the Mighty Guard as well. But if he's by his lonesome, there's only the one buffed Ronso to deal with here.

Most importantly, once Biran casts Mighty Guard, Kimahri can Lancet that sonuvabitch out of his rival Ronso and actually get a half-way useful Ronso Rage for a change. Except for the part where Mighty Guard casts on the active party and hahaha... Kimahri is never sticking around for more than a single turn during any fight that matters.

Likewise, when down to a quarter of his health, Yenke will cast White Wind healing him (and Biran if they're occupying the same side of the battlefield) for a good 1500+ HP. Mildly annoying, but thankfully he'll only do it the one time.

And again, a half-way decent spell for Kimahri to Lancet from Yenke after it's been cast. It's important to grab both of them before getting serious about knocking out one of these adversaries. As there is a final stage to the battle.

Eventually via Ronso Rages, physical attacks or... well hell, I just started tossing spare grenades I wasn't using since it was funny... one of the Ronso bosses will eventually fall. Likely Yenke, as he's a decent bit weaker than Biran, despite the guaranteed heal.

Upon his partner's defeat, Biran will get pissed and cast Berserk thus pounding Kimahri with strong physical attacks the rest of the fight. If Yenke outlives Biran, he'll cast Haste and do much the same. If either of the Ronso hadn't gotten to 25% health prior to the other taking a dirt nap, Kimahri will miss out on getting White Wind or Mighty Guard. Since they'll skip that step and go straight to the Beserked/Hasted phase.

In any case, considering neither of these guys can do much more than 300-600 HP of damage against my Kimahri and I've got 99 Hi-Potions and about 90 Al Bhed ones on reserve all healing for 1000 HP a turn and a Kimahri quick enough to do two items in a row at times... not much of a battle.

Good job Kimahri. You've avenged the bully Ronso that essentially ripped your dick off as a youngen. Now get back on the bench. See you for a token AP tag in the next boss battle. :v:

Music ends...

”Kimahri prove strong Ronso. Kimahri make proud. Go prove Ronso clan ain't nothin' to gently caress with.”

Biran climbs to his feet and looks toward Mt. Gagazet and begins shouting...

“I honor the name of the warrior who defeats Biran.”

”That K-I-M-A-H-R-I! Hard to spell Kimahri name right. No Ronso ever remember where 'h' supposed to go!”
"Mountain knows Kimahri strong. Kimahri may pass."
“Summoner."

"Truly?"
"Penance for breaking Kimahri's horn, long ago."
”Frankly, Ronso not entirely big on whole Yevon thing. Biran only join for tax break. Kimahri strong. Biran take Kimahri horn down from above turdydump spot.”
“No more turdydump to Kimahri horn. Kimahri want broken horn back?”
“No... Kimahri okay with Biran... Bury Kimahri horn with Mt. Gagazet...”

"We crush enemies following behind."
"Kimahri crush enemies standing before."
"You are most fortunate summoner."

"Ronso will shine your statue brightest."
”Biran will rend statue dirt asunder!”
"Thank you. But I fear that no one will make a statue for a traitor such as I am."

"Then Ronso will make!"
"With grand horn on head!"
"That... would be wonderful."
”...Not into that one bit.”

I'm sure there's fanart of a burly Ronso-Yuna statue. Probably naked. With the Ronso clan running a train on her because the internet is an awful place.

And the worst line read on all of Mt. Gagazet goes to the above line blurted out in about a quarter of a second. It's Narrator Tidus. There's not even any lip flaps to keep up with here, game. C'mon!

That's a wrap on the Ronso territory. Now it's onward to scaling the largest mountain in all of Spira. Should be no pro—

"What is it this time?"
”Kimahri already whipped your asses. We're not doing a full party brawl now where you're like powered up on Ronso steroids or some crap, alright? Not happening!”

New Music: Song of Prayer ~ Biran and Yenke

”This is super awkward. How long are they gonna go on for...?”
“I... don't know know. Just smile and listen. Maybe it'll stop.”
“Crud... Not likely... Look.”

New Music: Song of Prayer ~ Ronso Tribe

Well, that was nice of the Ronso Tribe. Would have preferred some warm coats or blankets for the climb. But eh... you take what hospitality you can get at the north pole.

Video: Episode 88 Highlight Reel

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 27, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Probably a series in-joke since previous FF summoners had horns on their heads.

I had no idea about half the poo poo you explain in this fight, TDI. You did your homework.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Blue Mage characters, always more trouble than they're worth.

Well, Quina was alright I guess, but only because they straight up ate things to gain their power.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Withyunabymyside

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Well, Quina was alright I guess, but only because they straight up ate things to gain their power.

At least he has the ability to just SUCK the Blue Magic out of the enemy instead of waiting to be hit by their attacks. (And for Quina, s/he can eat enemies so that's more straightforward too).

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
And this is why nobody likes the ronso. Kimahri's -alright-, but...well, look at him in Final Fantasy Record Keeper. He's bottom tier garbage along with the generics. Even his unique SB is garbage :v: "Negate one magic attack" Yea...because negating ONE magic attack is REALLY useful in that game. Like at all.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Speedball posted:

At least he has the ability to just SUCK the Blue Magic out of the enemy instead of waiting to be hit by their attacks. (And for Quina, s/he can eat enemies so that's more straightforward too).

Kimahri is at the severe disadvantage of blue magic being even more useless than usual in FFX.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah I've always hated Blue Magic.

Quistis gains hers by just using an item on her, though. That's not too bad.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Kimahri is at the severe disadvantage of blue magic being even more useless than usual in FFX.

It's not even that the Blue Magic spells are BAD, but that they require an overdrive to use is just terrible.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah Blue magic is at it's most broken and powerful in FFT/A/A2 and FFV. Got hit down a peg in 6, then became the main series whipping boy after a good stint in 7.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 27, 2015

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Well, that was a fun diversion with weird cat people. Is it safe to go back to pretending Kimarhi doesn't exist anymore?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Geostomp posted:

Well, that was a fun diversion with weird cat people. Is it safe to go back to pretending Kimarhi doesn't exist anymore?

Pretty much.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Hunter Noventa posted:

It's not even that the Blue Magic spells are BAD, but that they require an overdrive to use is just terrible.

Exactly this. If he could throw out Mighty Guards and White Winds at will, and maybe some better attacks (and if Thrust Kick worked properly; unlike the Muay Thai bots' version, it's glitched to never inflict Eject when used by Kimarhi), he'd be a much better character. As it is, they're stupidly worthless, especially considering all the shenanigans you can get up to with Rikku's overdrive, which includes much better versions of pretty much everything Kimahri can do with his Overdrive.

As for other versions of Blue Magic users, another decent example is Strago from FFVI, who only has to SEE the spell in action to learn it. Unlike other games like FFV where the user actually has to be hit with everything, even support spells like White Wind, Strago picks it up as long as he's in the team when it's used. And if he's not dead, stoned, or blinded (I thought it was neat that the devs actually thought of that last one instead of writing it off as a simple status ailment).

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Dark Id posted:

He also comes with a brand new Ronso Rage in Trust Kick

Missing the 'h' for Thrust Kick.

Best track in the game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You actually can see a statue of Yuna built there in X-2. With a great big horn.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

The Dark Id posted:

Episode LXXXVIII: Settle My Grudge
Hopefully, this will be the longest roman number in this LP.

There actually is a sidequest in FFX-2 where a Ronso builds that statue. It's ugly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Depends on the game. VII, for instance, has ridiculously powerful Blue Magic.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Depends on the game. VII, for instance, has ridiculously powerful Blue Magic.

Not to mention, VII doesn't have character classes, you can just slap on a blue magic Materia and call it good.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

You actually can see a statue of Yuna built there in X-2. With a great big horn.

Did some looking and seems like there's a quest where the Ronso give a quiz and answering the best answers will make them build an X-2 version of Yuna, otherwise it seems like a Kimarhi statue happens. Doesn't look like there's one with her model from this game, so hope you like shorts and guns. I opted not to go hunting for fanart.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, The Dark Id mentioned that Lulu could be removed from the plot without altering it, which couldn't be said for any other character. I'd say Kimahri could have the same said for him. I mean, the party is almost at Zanarkand and the most compelling thing he offered to the plot was "I beat up some people that used to bully me." We get no insight on how he feels about Yevon as a religion nor whether he even cares about the corruption. :shrug:

Anyway, while I love Blue Mages, I feel like Kimahri exemplifies everything I dislike about the class. Of all the skills he has so far, I'd argue that Mighty Guard is the only one worth being an Overdrive. Far too many junk skills like Seed Cannon or Doom. I mean, really, Doom as a Limit Break? What were they thinking? I don't even know why they made Kimahri a Dragoon, either, if all he's going to have is Jump. Mixing a physical attacker with a Mage class sounds like a bad idea, anyway.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, The Dark Id mentioned that Lulu could be removed from the plot without altering it, which couldn't be said for any other character. I'd say Kimahri could have the same said for him. I mean, the party is almost at Zanarkand and the most compelling thing he offered to the plot was "I beat up some people that used to bully me." We get no insight on how he feels about Yevon as a religion nor whether he even cares about the corruption. :shrug:

At least Kimahri's plot is actually in the main story. Lulu's is all in sidequests and optional dialogue. In theory you could take out everyone but Tidus and Yuna (maybe Auron?) with the only story loss being one small section like the Home bit, or indeed this ronso fight. I guess Wakka at least serves to get Tidus involved in Yuna's quest.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wakka's role is "Your New Best Friend" when you get acclimated to Spira. Which isn't a bad role to have, he just doesn't really have any plot payoff later because of it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wakka and Rikku are characters meant more to be representatives of their races. Rikku is there to show the Al Bhed aren't as bad as they seem, while Wakka is meant to give a glimpse at the product of Yevon upbringing.

There's also Seymour for the latter, though he's more of a textbook case.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

At least as useless as Ronso Rage is, at least the game had the foresight to realize how pissed people'd be if they had to manually fill up his Overdrive gauge to use it whenever he got one. Because let's be honest, you'd only use it once to see how useless it is.

Aside from White Wind or Mighty Guard. But they'd probably not be too useful to use in the same battle as you found them in.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Anyway, while I love Blue Mages, I feel like Kimahri exemplifies everything I dislike about the class. Of all the skills he has so far, I'd argue that Mighty Guard is the only one worth being an Overdrive. Far too many junk skills like Seed Cannon or Doom. I mean, really, Doom as a Limit Break? What were they thinking? I don't even know why they made Kimahri a Dragoon, either, if all he's going to have is Jump. Mixing a physical attacker with a Mage class sounds like a bad idea, anyway.

Depends on the battle system. In 7, I usually loaded Cloud with a couple summon materia to bring down the thunder (or hellfire or Bahamut) if the enemy was resistant to Buster sword to the face. But that was without being able to tag in, say, Red or Yuffie or whoever had the offensive spells loaded.

Here, when meeting a Flan means hitting L1 and tagging in Lulu, a jack of all trades can't really compete, since the main attraction of a generalist is that he's never going to be dead weight. Too bad that if the enemy is immune to magic/physical (choose which appropriate) Lulu and Auron high-five nod at each other and the useless one goes off to fix her belts or get drunk.
And yeah, blue magic as an overdrive is completely useless, since the strong point of the skillset is the versatility and you can't be versatile on a single shot.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Blue Mages are rear end when you can maybe cast one Blue spell every other fight.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wakka is a huge part of the early game plot, and later on serves as the direct questioning of "How does Yevon feel about this? Let's ask how Wakka's doing."

Lulu is none of this aside from the couple snippets about Chappu. She isn't nearly as devote about Yevon, and her sister role for Yuna is already taken hard by Rikku.

Bale Fire
Oct 22, 2012
I've actually always really enjoyed this boss battle. It has great background music, a good fight that scales appropriately, and interesting mechanics that involve positioning and various Ronso Rages.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to be honest khimari is someone who doesn't talk too much and minds his own business while silently making sure the person he's protecting does whatever it wants.

he's a legit bodyguard.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Omobono posted:

Depends on the battle system. In 7, I usually loaded Cloud with a couple summon materia to bring down the thunder (or hellfire or Bahamut) if the enemy was resistant to Buster sword to the face. But that was without being able to tag in, say, Red or Yuffie or whoever had the offensive spells loaded.

IIRC Cloud is actually one of the better mages in your party in FF7, as well as being a great physical shitkicker. Being Captain America has it's perks.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Prison Warden posted:

IIRC Cloud is actually one of the better mages in your party in FF7, as well as being a great physical shitkicker. Being Captain America has it's perks.

Cloud's the main character, so he's expected to be good at most things.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah, he has the second or third highest Magic stat growth, behind Aerith and maybe Vincent(?). I'm pretty sure he also has the highest total base stats, making him great at everything.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

IIRC Cloud is actually one of the better mages in your party in FF7, as well as being a great physical shitkicker.

He knows how to wear a dress and that's 90% of being a mage.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Cloud's the main character, so he's expected to be good at most things.

Well, how about the game we are on:? I can't recall exactly but wasn't Tidus' thing to be a sort of middling physical fighter? He's all about quickness over strength. Only of coursee Rikku is faster than him and Auron is stronger than him.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Microcline posted:

He knows how to wear a dress and that's 90% of being a mage.

The other 10% is being able to rock a hat. This also means that Vivi is 10% better than Cloud at being a mage....

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

NikkolasKing posted:

Well, how about the game we are on:? I can't recall exactly but wasn't Tidus' thing to be a sort of middling physical fighter? He's all about quickness over strength. Only of course Rikku is faster than him and Auron is stronger than him.

Tidus's skills are Turn Managment. He has Haste and Slow, Delay and Quick hit. In short, Tidus is all about directly affecting the combat system.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Onmi posted:

Tidus's skills are Turn Managment. He has Haste and Slow, Delay and Quick hit. In short, Tidus is all about directly affecting the combat system.

So he's a nuisance for everyone in and out of combat? :v:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Stat growth gets weird in this game. Usually when I play, right around Gagazet is when my Wakka starts to outdamage Auron, which is weird to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

NikkolasKing posted:

Well, how about the game we are on:? I can't recall exactly but wasn't Tidus' thing to be a sort of middling physical fighter? He's all about quickness over strength. Only of coursee Rikku is faster than him and Auron is stronger than him.

He's still like the second strongest on the team following the normal progression. Most people will constantly field him for boss fights, and not just for his hasting ability.

Not to mention he has the strongest overdrive in the game. Yes, Wakka's slots can be stronger, but that shits inconsistent because gently caress slots. Sure it's a pretty late game thing, but it still counts.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 28, 2015

• Locked thread