Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

We're only on page ten and we've already hit critical TDI thread :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

I always assumed it had something to do with lingering resentment from the Shimabara Rebellion.

Bravest's answer seems more plausible to me. Shimabara was four hundred years ago and isn't likely to have much of a cultural footprint at this point :shrug:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Voting for Trogdor because the idea of passive doormat Yuna singing the song to summon him is super entertaining.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dr. Psychobabble posted:

I'm afraid I can't resist the allure of Trogdor.
After all, Trogdor was a man.

Trogdor was a ghost-man.

Then he was a...dragon-man.

But he was still TROGDOR.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Looper posted:

Lol calm down there buddy, sorry for insulting your favorite game

He's not wrong though. It's fairly common for a writer to define more of their setting than is actually detailed in the story, simply for their own purposes of internal consistency. Not everything needs to be told to the player character.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

That's honestly pretty cool :shobon:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Young Auron is such a tool, I love it.

I always imagined Tidus laughing his rear end off watching those, just waiting for a chance to bring it up next time Auron treats him like poo poo.

He really should pull the knave line right back on him :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It is. Very much so, but it's fallen out of favour for quite a few recently because it went a long time with little end game content and the content that was there wasn't great.

As a whole package, it's really good.

It's important to realize this is kind of cyclical. 2.0->2.1 was just as much of a dry spell as 3.0->3.1, it seems like that first content update after a major launch pretty much always comes slowly then it's back to business as usual.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

I can never quite trust the near universal praise of ffxiv because I don't see how anyone with good sense could forgive the company that fast after the initial gigantic failure.

Proof is in the pudding. They made a bad game. Then they scrapped it, and made a good game, and hit a rate of content production that is unheard of in MMOs. They kind of had to to shake off the rep of 1.0

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Also the music is spectacular and helps lend weight to events.

It's one thing to fight a really hard raid boss it's another to have the fight sync'd with something like Answers.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Any of the Primals but Ifrit really.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Seymour's mother was also dying, according to the Ultimania. I mean, I get they were likely trying to bridge relations between the two races by using Seymour, but they're basically condemning a ten year old to die just so people will like him.

No wonder he's pants on head crazy.

This would all probably be a more compelling story if Seymour seemed to ever have any real difficulty due to the supposed anti Guado racism instead of being the darling of pretty much everyone from the word go.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

So now they're selling episodes of FF7, which if their pricing of old FFs is any indication, will wind up being 20-30 bucks an episode is my guess.

So really they haven't learned too much quite yet.

FF7R is kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. Their stated reasoning for selling it in episodes is that remaking ALL of FF7, sprawling tech demo clusterfuck that it was, as a single game with modern technology is wildly impractical. That'd be a prospect for 2019 at best. If they're going to release it at all episodes are kind of the only way out of this promise.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

"The UI was server side" is my favorite FFXIV 1.0ism

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ozzie, Slash, and Flea

It's the only real choice here.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Dissidia has it to where Tidus really just wants his dad's approval, but their crazy messed up relationship makes him unable to really say what he wants to say most of the time.

It's kind of unsettling, though, that Jecht is basically a bad parent who, while he means well, gets drunk and damage his son's self-esteem. But ultimately his bad parenting ended up producing exactly the kind of son he wanted in the first place. And Tidus is a success for it, too.

Good moral? :psyduck:

I think it's one of those "in spite of, rather than because of" things.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Derek Barona posted:

He pretty much had to be, in order to perfectly remember his script every single time he jumped timelines and back.

Stocke is about as competent as a protagonist can be without being a Gary Stu. Winds up being pretty refreshing really

Why ARE dumbass JRPG protagonists the norm anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It's silly because they have all the materials to make the Conquest plot work. Nohr still has good people in it regardless of King Garon being a psychopath, and the Hoshidans are honestly super super racist. You can work with that. Raising opposition against Garon from within makes a good story.

But no we're just going to overlook Rampant Villainy :downs:

• Locked thread