Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I have never seen that scene with any one but Lulu, and I have played this game a few times. I seem to recall for the affection values it's pretty heavily slanted towards Lulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

MrAristocrates posted:

In honor of the greatest ice puns, Arnold

But spell it Ahnold

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

My Chinese is really poo poo, but it's weird that some of these names are results of romanization of names rendered into Chinese (aka translation telephone), and others seem to come the gently caress out of nowhere

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Huh. So I guess they translated "Sin" as "刑" or "xing" in Chinese. Which is somewhat logical, it sounds similar and 刑 means "punishment"

...yeah I don't have anything funny to add I just think that's neat.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Okay, I'm sorry, this thing is kind of fascinating to me.

As far as I can tell, "Wendy" comes from loving nowhere. I mean, I have to rely on cherry-picking what I can discern and google translate, but I'm pretty sure Lulu's name is 露露. Which is... "Lulu." Seriously. (And that has to be a character name because it's gibberish otherwise.) The hell?

Also while the image quality means that I can't make out characters very well, I think that's "夸德" Which doesn't mean anything, "Kua De" Just a rendition of "Guado" into Chinese. Definitely does not mean fat or chubby as far I can tell.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Huh wow I can't read.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 11, 2015

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

It's always kind of annoyed me that when everyone talks about the story telling problems with this game, they always pick on the voice acting or the writing, when the real problem is really the loving editing. It should not be that hard to tell that the party was on Sin.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Onmi posted:

Sins Toxin could just be an elaborate way for Jecht to reach out and connect with people. Except since he's a giant space whale and most people wouldn't know what the gently caress he was talking about he just tends to drive them babbling mad. So then the Yevonites just said "Oh yeah Sin has a toxin if you get close and it makes you weird."

You know, I kinda got that feeling too. There's a dude in Kilika who snaps at you when you talk to him, honestly a pretty reasonable reaction considering what just happened, and a lady who says "oh forgive him the toxin got to him." I started to wonder if sin's toxin wasn't actually real and people just use Sin as an explanation for weird behavior and mental problems and all that.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Air is lava! posted:

That's a funny little site. I just spent a while trying to make insults as polite as possible while preserving their exact meanings.

Okay I hate to be this person but what is this site?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I personally love how when I put in "you people are jerks" it decided that "men are motherfuckers" was more polite.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Look there's nothing in the rule books saying Sin can't be a blitzer

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Okay this scene. This loving scene. I don't really know why people latch onto the laughing scene when they wanna make fun of FFX's writing and story, because this is a way worse. I mean, the laughing scene is dumb, but ultimately fairly inconsequential. This scene? For a scene that's supposed to revealing a very big twist (okay yes it's barely a plot twist but the idea stands) it is unforgivably bad. It doesn't make a lot of sense (guys really maybe should have told Tidus?), mawkishly melodramatic, and dear god the editing and cinematography is atrocious. Why during this very important scene did the camera need to shake the whole time? Why the hell does Tidus run past everyone to smack tit-bird (it makes me laugh every time I see it) Isn't it supposed to be fighting something...? Urgh, such a badly handled scene.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I suppose I must be that person and say that the game DOES tell you that that robot will thrust kick your rear end if it's the last one standing. I mean, it's bullshit, but it's not THAT bullshit.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Ramengank posted:

It only tells you if you Scan the enemy or have an active party member equipped with a weapon that has the Sensor ability. If you're playing normally then only Kimahri will have Scan, and who uses him? There's lots of weapons available up to this point with Sensor, but there's also far better choices for equipment. It's probably quite common that people will go through most of the game without obsessively scanning/sensoring everything they come across, and well look where it gets us. :v:

Considering how this game works, it's always a good idea to have SOMEONE with a sensor weapon, and all you have to do is have someone with a sensor weapon tag in whenever you wanna scan the enemy. There's no reason not to do this whenever you see a new enemy, since most of the time scan/sensor will tell you how to beat the enemy.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Uh, Seymour, you okay there buddy?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

EDIT: Man, gently caress, really?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Looper posted:

I dunno man, if the devs really thought that information was so important you'd think they'd actually put it in the game, not in some dumb supplementary artbook

Tell that to Yoko Taro.

(Seriously, do. I would have liked if half of the backstory of NIER was actually in it)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

The problem with Hope as compared with Tidus is pacing, really. I mean, Tidus at least has a defined, easily recognizable character. As opposed to Hope, who stays stagnant and annoying way too long because FFXIII has the pacing of a glacier. FFX's pacing isn't great, no, but at least it does bear the mark of a story that has something resembling a beginning, a middle, and an end. FFXIII... honestly I generally have a hard time recalling much of anything of that game, really.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

The monster arena is a big fat loving pain in the rear end, but it might be kinda worth it to unlock it now, since you get (if I recall) 60 Candles of Life for getting all the Calm Lands monsters, which can put Deathproof on an armor. If nothing else, if you're having problems with that one boss (we all know which one) that can help.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

And all of that for a character that most players aren't going to use at this point anyway.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Screw, You, FFX

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

He's also a goddamn tree powered by pure evil. That's metal as gently caress.

I don't know why anyone would argue over the best FF villain when Exdeath is clearly the right answer.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Final Fantasy II is the best Final Fantasy and I will fight whoever says otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Seymour always made me feel like the writers of this game were insecure about this game lacking a true human central antagonist.

• Locked thread