Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:woop::woop::woop: So excited. Welcome back, TDI!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Wait, what bug? I plan to get a PS4 and the HD remaster at some point, what'd they break?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Zyla posted:

My god Id, your resolve is unshakeable

At least this game isn't relentlessly depressing or full of assholesokay no it's full of assholes like Drakengard is! There's that!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

And they laughed when TDI refused to fill out that one last change of address form :smugdog:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I'd forgotten how good you were at writing dialogue for Auron. Auron is the best :allears:

The Dark Id posted:

I have no idea how I got Rikku. Other than possibly the fact Lulu got her poo poo kicked in during that boss battle while I remembered how the hell to play this game (not pictured: completely whiffing her Overdrive because hell if I could remember how to use it :v:) I was getting Lulu affection scenes back in Guadosalam.

I'll post the other possible scenes another time. Though only Rikku and Lulu's have much relevance.

As I recall, the Affection thing is determined more or less by how well you've treated them. You can game the system by buying a thousand Potions, taking the person you want to ride with into a battle, and just force-feeding them Potion after Potion after Potion. Rikku tends to be on the squishy side, so you probably tipped it in her favor by desperately trying to make her Not Die.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

There is nothing the international version could have added that could possibly be more assholish and frustrating than that loving chocobo minigame for that one ultimate weapon piece :shepicide: The one and only time I nearly loving killed a controller over a video game.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I had no idea Auron had a scene, I always thought it was just the girls and Kimahri. :psyduck: I thought I knew this game pretty well.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I could swear that whole lip-flap matching part also came up earlier with Tidus, with his whole "IHAVETOGOWITHYOUIHAVETO" bit.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I'd just like to point out that the previous boss was a tank, on top of a frozen lake.

A frozen, hollow lake. No water to stop their fall if their cannon broke the surface, just a drop... :v:

Edit: The mental image of Kimahri pile-driving a fool has me in stitches and I wish I had the talent to draw that.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 3, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

: "The man has hair even spikier than Tidus, a constant smug-smirk, and his Aeon is a screaming hell-beast wrapped in chains. I shouldn't need to spell this out."

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 3, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Bufuman posted:

SA account (though apparently it was already dying when I signed up, but whatever)

SA isn't dying, alarmist assholes just like to say it is because for once we have someone fixing poo poo behind the scenes instead of posting here about it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Iretep posted:

Is it ever addressed why people like Tidus wouldnt be even worse than Rikku from Wakkas perspective? Tidus doesent even know who Yevon is and much less cares about his teachings.

Tidus is just a dumbass, not a filthy loving Al Bhed :bahgawd: so in Wakka's eyes he's automatically Better Than Rikku.

Basically, potential convert vs filthy heathen. Auron seems to have quite a bit of distaste for Yevon as well, but Wakka knows better than to antagonize him :v:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 3, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The true source of Shin-Ra's wealth: turning mako into hair gel!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Because Mother is worth it.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 4, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Ah yes, now things start getting a little more batshit :toot:
Votin' for Nora.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 6, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

That, and given Wakka's own reactions while he is a Guardian, it's unlikely that the bunch of priests/Guado that found them would listen to them.
:(: "He was evil!"
:byodood:" but, but, meister! HE WAS A MEISTER, HE CAN'T HAVE BEEN EVIL"
Religious zealotry is a hell of a thing.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Mr. Freeze's wife is named Nora. Due to a life-threatening illness, she is cryogenically frozen.

:stare: I completely forgot about that. Mr. Freeze is my favorite Batman villain, changing my vote to this, and going back and altering my voting post to reflect that.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

God drat it is there anything New 52 didn't completely ruin? :cripes: Mr. Freeze was one of the more sympathetic villains. He just wanted his wife to not die.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Nora :smith:

fool_of_sound posted:

All those names are terrible and you should all be ashamed.

Right, because 'NSFW' was just the height of internet comedy names :rolleyes:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 6, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

RONSOMANIA IS RUNNIN' WILD, BROTHER

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Everything MDickie touches turns to :smug:, though, so I'd argue he doesn't count.

This is wonderful :allears:

VVV There was wrestling in Dirge of Cerberus...? I admit I haven't read your LP of that in a long, long time.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 7, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

There's actually a good answer to that question, but it's total spoilers so just sit on it for a while.

There is? I don't remember any explanation about it, but I haven't played in a few years.
I also suddenly deeply want to see Kimahri in Macho Man Randy Savages' sunglasses :v:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Oh yeah, I remember now. Yeah, it's spoilery as gently caress at this point, but I'm a fan of that particular theory.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I liked XIII and XIII-2, but I play games to be entertained, not because I give a poo poo about immersion or storyline. I am also a Known Haver Of Bad Opinions, so there's that.

I still haven't actually finished Lightning Returns because the entire game being under a time limit annoys the poo poo out of me.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

When Auron decides its time to start running, you loving follow him.

Am I the only one who kind of liked all the Cloisters of Trials? Except for the... one after this one, I think it is, I found most of them enjoyable. The one where you get Bahamut, I mean. Does that even qualify as a spoiler? He's in just about every Final Fantasy title.

Speedball posted:

So, you think Tromell actually looked at that sphere or do you think he's just smashing it out of spite because "whatever the hell was on that drat thing made them KILL OUR KING!"

I'm pretty sure it's the latter, smashing it out of spite. I don't remember if you ever find out one way or the other. I really should dig my copy out and play along again.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 8, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

What's the :downs: version of that emote again?

:downsrim:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Various Goons posted:

Shiva Cloister is designed to be done after getting the Fayth
I never looked at it that way, but it makes a lot of sense. Of course it's entirely possible that both that and that the Guado reset it to slow you down could both be true.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

It's probably one of those things we're putting far more thought into than the actual writers did.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I thought Four was literally the worst, but I have an incredibly low tolerance for racism in any form, real life or fictional, so that might make me biased. This attitude may or may not have resulted in Wakka being forbidden from leveling up until he got his poo poo sorted and stopped being a twat.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

poo poo, even Tolkien elves got in on that. Actually they might be the worst of the lot, literally almost everything wrong in that setting is directly a result of the elves being arrogant fratboys with entitlement issues.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Iretep posted:

Wait how is it the elves fault Morgoth decided god built the world wrong and wanted to start over?

That's why I said "almost everything". Morgoth being a poo poo wasn't them, but the Silmarils and all the fuckery that followed them and everyone who tried to recover them? Feanor wasn't tempted into making them, he did it because he wanted to and thought the Valar were just jealous and wanted them for themselves instead of letting them use them to heal the Two Trees.
:eng101:

guess what the only loving book my phone reader will let me load is.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 10, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Only spelling mistake I noticed (phone posting) was you mispelled 'weak' as 'week', TDI.

I always assumed the Guado summoned this big bastard too, they just did it offscreen. I remember him giving me some issues :shepface: I... have a problem with enemies who counterattack. I keep thinking I can push their poo poo in before they can do mine, and I never can.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Oh god it reads like a Sov Cit spiel
"I, SEA:MOUR of the family GUADO, do not consent to joinder."

E: at least the whole 'maritime law' thing makes more sense in Spira.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 10, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You're not entirely wrong. :v:

It gets a little weird though. Is Brother his name, or just his relation to Rikku?

Yes.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 11, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

E: removed rant, today has sucked and I shouldn't take it out on people asking questions.

To actually answer your question, I don't think it's ever actually said, so just assume English/Spiran. There's kind of a reason Tidus might understand it if it's not his native one, but most likely it's just one of those things you're supposed to let go of for the sake of being able to play the game. Acceptable breaks from reality, poo poo like that.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 11, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Onmi posted:

Oh man, so that's what was going on in that cutscene, I was always a little confused, I thought Sin just rocked up mid-cutscene I didn't realize you were ON sin.

That's exactly what I always thought, too :psyduck: I never thought you were standing on the big motherfucker. Though, I probably should've realized. All the broken buildings around them are the same ones from the bonus dungeon on Sins' head.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Noticed some typos in the update.

Also, I'm pretty sure Auron's at, like, -12 fucks at this point.

Considering all the poo poo he doubtless had to put up with from Jecht, I think it's closer to minus several thousand.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yup, Final Fantasy: Spirits Within was so awful that Squeenix's Movie Division died along with it.

I went to see that piece of poo poo in theaters. :cripes: Even at the tender age of 11 I knew that movie was some serious bullshit.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

That's literally what they were. Ghosts haunting a chunk of their destroyed planet that crashed on earth and started killing because ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I liked XIII and XIII-2 :smith: But I'm a shameless completionist min-maxer so open-world stuff without at least a little bit of railroading tends to lead to me spinning in circles unsure of where to go lest I choose a sub-optimal route.

I am aware that this is not so much a problem with the games as it is a problem with me.

• Locked thread