Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nohman posted:

And Kimahri was never heard from again...

We heard from him in the first place?

Kimahri says maybe five words every third scene (and that's being ridiculously liberal with what counts as a word, or ridiculously conservative as to what counts as a scene). All he does is pose, grunt, and is the resident punching bag whenever the Whorf Effect needs to be demonstrated.

The most personality Kimahri has ever shown was when the Tippin' 40's crew taught him Explode by using Lancet on a Bomb. There are literal walls in other games that demonstrate more personality than Kimhari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Kuvo posted:

kimahri only using wrestling moves would almost make him an interesting character

almost

As mentioned he'd have to use them outside of battle on random NPCs to truly be interesting. Even better if he used them to solve problems, like clearing rubble by flexing his muscles or ripping trees out of the ground to make a makeshift bridge.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Speedball posted:

And that's what happens when he hits you with the flat of the blade.

Look, Auron's an old Samurai. He used to do the whole slash a guy in half in such a way that the blood explosoin only happens ten seconds later. And he can still do it if he wants to. Thing is, that trick's finicky and it's so easy to just to have the blood explode all over him. Ever tried cleaning pyrefly ichor out of your clothes? It sucks and that's stuff's for chumps, he'll leave dealing with that to the rest of the party. Auron would rather knock the enemy into the next timezone and leave someone else to deal with the resulting splatter as its soft, squishy body lands on the rocks.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Eruza posted:

What? Didn't Cloud actually do all of the tutorials, as in, explain things himself to the player?

But anyway, the desert area was a weak point in the game for me. I didn't have much of a problem with Sin just dropping everyone there because he'd done so before with Tidus like everyone's pointed out. This area was just really boring to look at and another group of reskinned enemies isn't really much to look forward to.

And with the same battle music as the rest of the world. :suicide:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I never even BEAT the game and I can hear his chant. Heck I don't think I got much further than Sin crushing the crusaders on the beach.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's pretty amazing that there are apparently only eight Summoners who have beaten Sin in 1000 years.

The regular bouts of political backstabbing, and the fact that Sin can randomly appear and nuke whatever landmass the Summoner is on, doesn't exactly help.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

There's also the possibility that Sin coming back isn't an all at once thing. Sin gets his rear end beaten by a summoner and goes into remission for however long. The people party and everything's good until a year later a fishing village ceases to exist and people see the doomwhale again, albeit smaller, leaving the area.

But instead of being seen every other day, no one sees it again for 9 months as it has to rest/grow and only occasionally shows up to wreck poo poo, sightings are rare at first and then only pick up the pace. Only after a few years do we get back to full on "Sin gives no poo poo and is everywhere." mode where Sin kills someone every day just by having dandruff.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Derek Barona posted:

It also helps that Lloyd caught on to the idea that there was a problem a lot quicker than Tidus did. That scene when he called her out on it with the temperature trick was actually pretty smart.

I have to agree with the people who like this scene, stupid cinematography aside. This is pretty much the turning point when Tidus stops being such a nitwit and finally decides to start taking control of what his life's become, rather than just go with the flow.

It helps that, required JRPG protagonist blockheadedness aside, Lloyd's actually pretty smart. Tidus on the other hand shows all the sign that, like his dad, he really never had to think about anything that wasn't physical due to naturally being in the top percentile of athletic skill for their home town's biggest sport.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Just two minutes of hate Dark ID?

I never made it this far in the game and I skimmed past 90% of that post and I'm sure I could still manage 2 minutes of hate without trying. The only way anyone who actually played this segment would manage ONLY 2 minutes of hate (or less) would be if they were just too broken to get upset afterwards.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Death Zebra posted:

That must be a huge pain the rear end though. Hopefully, if there was a dedicated speedrun they'd do something to mitigate randomness.

Generally really long JRPG speedruns (and yes people do do FFX runs) are segmented. So you'll work on a section for a week or two, then work on the next, etc.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Bevelle normally hides a lot of this stuff. The Machina are kept way up high/in the military bases where the unwashed plebs and civilians aren't going to see them, and if/when they do they're covered in wood or whatever so the Bevelle soldiers/leaders can go "Yeah, but they're not Machina, they're golems powered by Yevon's love!" The summoners and their guides use a different entrance/exit and are likely herded by tour guides who have answers for everything after the centuries. Unless you're a fantasy pope, or at least a fantasy cardinal, you're probably not allowed to switch the stairs to escalator mode and have to pretend they're normal stairs. And anything they can't wave away they just say "Yeah, this stuff was here during the fall, we don't use it as per Yevon's teachings but we still have to maintain the giant glowing tubes. It provides some rather nice ambient lighting if we do, and leaks highly deadly coolant gas all over the temple if we don't. Oh, and don't worry, the cloister is entirely magical. We redid that from the ground up. Yep, Magical, Yevon blessed and everything, don't think about it too hard and worry about the puzzles."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah, between the fact it works on spheres, or at least works with spheres, and the fact that after Sin regularly crashing the world (besides Bevelle apparently) there's a good chance that people won't recognize a lot of this stuff as Machina. If questioned why nothing magical looks quite like this the tourist guides can probably answer something like "It's Ancient Magic! Magic so advanced we'll never be able to recreate it until Sin is gone...because every time we try to get a magical academy together Sin does a belly flop in a nearby bay."

Honestly after hundreds of years the temple's staff are probably experts at handling everything. Those with intense Machina hatred like Wakka can probably be pacified by saying something about how it's accepted by Yevon, how it's really okay, etc. etc. also Al-Bhed are evil. Those that are less blinded/more curious are probably more interested in stopping Sin.

Wakka's more having a giant mind-break because he's had to deal with the revelation that one of the head figure's of his religion is actively evil, had to be killed, the Al-Bhed aren't evil, Yuna's part Al-Bhed, oh and the evil cardinal he killed isn't dead and is instead still trying to force Yuna to marry his zombie self. All before he's had time to try to come to terms with the previous revelation too. And now he's in shock and hyper-sensitive where every single bit of the Church of Yevon's hipocracy, no matter how minor (like a stair-escalator for elderly fantasy-popes) is slapping him in the face. If he'd come here in his normal state of mind he'd probably have shrugged off everything. Tidus would have been going "There's a Machina, there's a Machina, there's a Machina...I thought Yevon hated Machina." And Wakka would have normally been going "Yeah, well Yevon made exceptions." without blinking.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Not gonna go for a Yugioh joke with the giant fuckoff dragon? For shame.

BlueEyes fits, barely.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Geostomp posted:

It's the cycle of Spira.

It's the Circle of LIIIIIFE! Spiral of DEAAATH! </lionking>

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

Drakengard 2 and uhh... Yeah that was the only one...? :confused:

On one hand, from everything I've heard/read (including your Drakengard 2 LP) FFX-2 would be more fun gameplay-wise.

On the other hand, not many LPers have the...fortitude to LP a Cavia game while just about anyone who likes JRPGs can LP FFX-2.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Bioware games get around it by either referring to your character by their last name (Shepard, Hawke) or their title (Warden, Inquisitor). Not the most elegant solution but it works without breaking immersion too much.

They also do that in Bethesda games. In the Fallout or Elder Scrolls games the characters will basically either call you a title (The Wanderer, The Courier, the Dohvakin) or basically state some version of "who's this jackass who wandered in?"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Welcome to the Calm Lands, a welcome place of respite for any summoner on their pilgrimage. On the left is a canyon with a million corpses in it.

They're filling it in to make a bridge. One day you'll be able to reach the other side on the mountain of corpses tossed down Sin's crack.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

don't worry, the genocided ronso get better

Hey man...about your entire species and family and tribe getting trashed by Seymore...is there anything I can say or do for you that won't be incredibly patronizing? Like, seriously, I want to do something to help but I've also come to the realization that I can come across as a massive rear end in a top hat so I'm asking for help helping you through this.

Kimhari appreciate nancy-boy's concern but he should not worry. Ronso tribe no die.

We just saw Seymore use your tribe's souls as armor, how does that not count as dead?

Ronso tribe long ago master the art of 'bad writing'. Ronso that cannot retcon self back from death is not fit to be member of Ronso tribe.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

I cant remember if Jecht is informed about Auron's "gently caress this cycle" plan. I just saw Sin standing there all dissapointed father style.

Like all Jecht wants is for Tidus to kill him. And he sees the kid squandering a free ride to Doom-Whale-Murdering college.

The intro makes it pretty clear that Jecht and Auron can communicate. Probably what with one being a summon-turned-doomwhale-elemental and the other being straight up dead. One of the perks to being dead I guess: if the current Sin likes you you can communicate with him.

So...you're dead now?

Apparently. And I can speak to you as well...must be part of being dead.

I guess that's what I felt...you went and got bitchslapped by that crazy stripper bitch, didn't you? This whole doom-whale aeon thing has some pretty crazy magical senses and all that. I think I've got like...ten sixth senses or whatever. She hit you so hard I could feel it while like a hundred miles off the coast. I'm honestly surprised you actually made it down the mountain.

I credit hypothermia to slowing my internal bleeding. Anyways, you're now the bane of the known world. Am I going to regret asking you what that's like?

You ever hear of psoriasis? You know, that condition where part of your skin turns red, itchy and large chunks of dead skin slough off the afflicted area in large disgusting chunks for the rest your entire life like you have a permanent sunburn?

...ew?

I've got that over my entire body...and as you might have noticed I have a whole lot of body. And when I scratch it, people die.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Would the plant people in Guildwars 2 count as elves, or at least psuedo-elves? They're very much the definition of "children of the forest" since they're literally created by a giant tree that's a multi-level hub-city. They're also impressively chill and friendly people considering they were literally created by a dragon to be minions to destroy the world, but were then "corrupted" (or "confused" is a better term?) to the side of good, justice and the light. Of course some of them do revert to their normal "evil" state, start calling themselves members of the Nightmare Court who's members personalities tend to bounce between either Saturday morning cartoon villains and "I'm cutting myself because you don't love me mom!"

Of course it probably helps that despite being the elf-people of the world they're very much THE youngest race on the world stage by a long shot (the Tree is a couple hundred years old, and she only started producing anthropomorphic elf-plants about 30 years ago at the time of the game).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Onmi posted:

"Elf" is defined by a Xenophobic rear end in a top hat race who has likely been around longer than all other races, yet despite not progressing beyond them, still raise their nose because of their "Superiority." Note: No where on display shall this superiority be. They may also speak cryptically and generally jerk you around like the dicks they are.

In Final Fantasy see The Viera for a good example. The other ancient race you meet in the game, the Garif, are all rather chill and helpful to the best of their abilities.

Eh, Elves can also be more wood-spirits (Viera are very much this as well) and the Sylvari fit that label pretty much. But I can admit I don't know a single example of a "high elf" (i.e. quasi-ancient, arrogant assholes by almost literal definition) that aren't assholes (hence it being almost the definition). Tolkien's examples that everyone bases their stuff on are pretty much the least-assholeish ones I can imagine, and they were pretty stuffy and standoff-ish. Though they also were relatively free with their help, there just wasn't that much of it since they were a dying race what with having previously gotten their rear end handed to them by Sauron himself so hard as to send them into an eternal decline and tailspin...which is probably why they took the threat of him returning seriously.

Also, XII's version of Viera are so goddamned hilarious since they're loving everywhere in the FFTA and FFTA2's version of Ivalice, and are totally chill about being around other races. Like you find plenty that are 100% city people and have no idea how to live outside the city where they can walk down the street for a hot meal and a drink.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's like that in Tactics, too. I guess Viera just really can't stand Eruyt's BS.

Nah, not really. I mean there's the one NPC Viera who buddies up with the girl who has red (okay, white but dyed hair, don't laugh! :qq:) hair in FFTA but 99% of NPC Viera really are not that pretentious or elf-like. They're more likely to be in a magical or fantasy-rural job or position but honestly they don't really come off as elf-y most of the time in the FFTA girls. Even the Seer in FFTA2 comes off as more of a hermit witch who's a mixture of annoyed and amused by you than anything else and simply putting up with you because your requests are weird/interesting and you always have the cash to pony up. There's seriously one on FFTA2 who's literally a spoiled noblegirl who hires your clan to help her fight/capture and tame a dragon for a pet for little more reason than "because it sounds like a fun adventure!".

Edit: Basically Viera in XII are elves and rather pretentious about it. Viera in FFTA/2 are not actually elves but instead generic anime waifus.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 13, 2016

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

akkristor posted:

The plant people in GW2 actually fit the generic "human" stereotype, the newest race on the scene, eager to explore and learn.

Ironically, the Humans in GW2 are their Elves. An older, dying race, suspicious of the other races due to seeing them as "too young", or holding ancient grudges against entire races.

The GW2 writers did a lot of interesting things to mix up a lot of stereotypes. The Charr are an authoritarian, expansionist empire of blood-thirsty warriors filling the power vacuum of other fallen/decaying empires that are somehow good(ish) guys as well.

But this is the FFX thread and not the GW2 thread so I should shut up about it. :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

berryjon posted:

Vulcans. They have their flaws just as they have their advantages.

What? No one said we had to stay in the realm of fantasy!

Yeah, okay, Vulcans and Romulans are both well written elves if we leave the realm of fantasy where it's regular for dudes to cast firebolts from their bare hands and enter the realm of fantasy where your bedroom has a molecular assembler that can produce all the cheetohs your fat face can eat at a whim.

Both sides of the Star Trek Elf family are assholes, but they're generally not "kill on sight" levels of assholes. Though you might want to grab your favorite alcoholic beverage for easy chugging whenever you're dealing with Romulan politics.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kavak posted:

This also describes the Eldar, appropriately enough.

The Eldar are also pretty much the textbook definition of "rear end in a top hat elf". Like, they literally had an orgy so big they hosed the universe into the crapsack state it currently is in. And then still try to be all morally superior to everyone as the sex god their actions spawned slowly devours their souls.

Like I'm pretty sure even Octa would consider them excessive.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, that's at least partly because open thought tends to invite things In. Terrible Things :cthulhu:.

And again, it's literally all the Eldar's fault that thinking too much does that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

rotinaj posted:

How about the hot Vulcan? We can treat her as canon.

The ship's doctor was cool/well played too. But then again it's not exactly unheard of in Star Trek for the writers to cast someone as the ship's doctor who can out-perform the rest of the cast. :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Speedball posted:

Yeah, where was my pig guy and lizard guy party members? (At least FFT-A2 let you have those guys as party members)

Or a Nu-Mou (also known as "the magic casters the devs forgotten because they were busy drooling over bunny girls). I'd suggest a Moogle could have been pretty cool since Ivalice Moogles are actually rad dudes instead of mere mascot characters, but we all know if they added a Moogle party member it would have been Montblanc...again. I mean the dude's a cool Moogle, but he already got to be a playable character in FFTA, and a playable cameo in FFTA2 and was a rather important NPC cameo in XII already. Other Moogles need time to shine.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

Throw is bad in Tactics because it's the Ninja skillset and Ninja have much better offensive options, such as stabbing enemies twice.

The comparison gets even worse in FFTA2 when Magick Frenzy is introduced:
You could throw a weapon at a single enemy OR cast a spell on one or more enemies and then teleport to every single enemy hit and stab them twice before returning to your original tile.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Looper posted:

not really. they come up with several plans, and though the anime bishie jesus pope is your major antagonist they never specifically set out to kill him

and again, actual plans, not the bullshit you're gonna see here shortly. ffx doesn't sell the final showdown with sin at all

Well, I'm pretty sure by the end they're pretty dead set on making "Kill the crazy psycho rear end in a top hat who ripped the world into two, completely hosed with the source of all mana (a.k.a. literally a requirement for all life on the world) and caused untold thousands of years of misery in vain to save his sister who just wants to die at this point" one of the major lynchpins of their plans.

Symphonia gets a special place alongside Skies of Arcadia in my heart for being a) anime as gently caress while also b) having competent writing and characters who actually try to figure things out and do more than bumble forward and relying on plot railroads to succeed. Of course it's also crazy long so I'll probably never, ever, ever loving touch it again but still.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Derek Barona posted:

I was gonna say, Symphonia also happens to take sixteen and a half thousand years before the plot comes together enough for them to make that plan. Arcadia at least had the benefit of pretty much always moving towards the singular purpose of "Collect the Moon Crystals and while we're at it kick the Empire's poo poo in whenever possible".

Symphonia does have the excuse that the protagonists are slowly discovering layers upon layers of lies and deceit going back thousands of years to understand why they should kill Crazy McPrettyBoy. They even start off their journey with one of the people in the player party being a mole for the bad guy. The world of Symphonia is pretty much an onion with layers upon layers of bullshit that get worse the deeper you go down all because of one guy's desire to save his sister far past the point of sanity. Of course the problem with the whole thing is that killing the dude doesn't really solve anything beyond the fact he's no longer able to oppose them due to being dead.

Which is reasonable, but it's also why the game drags on for another 10 hours or whatever as the protagonists try their best to fix the whole world without killing everybody in it.

Bufuman posted:

To be completely fair, they actually tried talking him down first. Several times. They actually killed him once after the first time negotiations fell through, watched him somehow get better, and tried reasoning with him AGAIN before finally putting him down for good. Killing him was very much the last resort option after he made it clear he wasn't about to listen to minor things like "sanity" or "the desires of every single being in both worlds besides himself". Some people just won't be helped.

You also forgot "The desires of his own sister who has been trapped in the seed of the tree of infinite mana for thousands of years, screaming at him to let her die."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

What do you think Elixirs are made out of? :v:

Orphan tears?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Am I a horrible person to say I just want to see Id play a game he'd find 100% (or maybe a more realistic expectation of 90%? 75%?) fun for once?

After that he can then likely jump into Neir II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

EDIT: Id said one more update, so I assume that's what he's gonna explain

It's either that or Dark Id writing Jecht and Neir having a bit of Dad-to-Dad time in the afterlife.

• Locked thread