Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Yeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Surf's back up.

Pureauthor posted:

A tank cannon seems like an incredibly bad weapon to use when you're trying to kidnap someone that's part of the enemy group.

It also seems like it would be a really bad (if hilarious) idea to use it on a surface of ice.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Oh, is there any chance we'll be picking up at any point using the HD remaster that this game got a year or so ago? Or are we sticking to standard def in respect to your dear departed PS2?

The remaster did work some wonders visually. Pity the same cannot be said for the soundtrack. :v:

On the subject of Macalania: This was certainly an immersion-breaker. I grew up in the humid south US so when I first played this back int he day, I got a kick out of seeing landscapes that resembled what I was used to for once (as opposed to the big mountains and forests that fantasy is so fond of). And then suddenly, snow. Later parts of the game taking place at high elevations make sense for cold, but not this all of a drat sudden.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Aurain posted:

It's obvious but this game would be so much better if all of TDI's things were actual dialogue.

Regrettably, not every game can be Drakengard 3.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

It feels like the entire Seymour subplot was shoehorned in because someone at Square felt obligated to include a prettyboy charismatic Sephiroth kinda dude. Obligated, only to give him all the charisma of a moldy towel.

At least Jecht makes it into crossover stuff like Dissidia instead.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

And finally, now that the battle is over we can rename ????/Shiva. The original thread came to a consensus of Gunter way back when. Any you know what...? That thread caught on fire around then. Gunter is clearly some sort of hexed name and we won't have it poisoning this resurrected LP. So that name is tossed in the trash.

:catstare:

Simon. :catbert:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I don't get the Nora joke. :geno:

v v v OH right

Mazed fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 6, 2015

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

Whoops, for some reason I thought it was a FFXIII reference. Batman is better though

Naw, that'd have been "lezbike" or something. :v:

With regards to Shiva herself: This particular version of the recurring summon seems to be the most popular with fans of these games, and it's for good reason. She stands out among her other versions with the rad punk-ethnic look she's got, and she's also distinctive from the other Aeons by not being another crazy neon animal. With one later exception, she's the only one to heavily invoke the Asian cultural flair that Spira's got running.

Of course, the best design of all is Anima, because when you see the full beast it's just a glorious :wtc:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The only DC canon worth even the tiniest shred of a drat is the DC Animated Universe.

Nora

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Oh no, his hair :ohdear:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Not everyone wants immersion, but I consider it a pretty major selling point, especially if you're going to invest up to hundreds of hours in something.

The linearity of FFXIII was pretty much dead-on the main problem with it. If they'd taken the FFX route of spreading the maps out a bit, pacing it so that there was some breathing room between action sequences, and added some incidental details that could be pursued at the player's leisure on the side (for example, the Belgemine encounters), it would have gotten a whole lot less hate. People who play an RPG are generally content taking their time, and the feeling of being shot quickly from setpiece to setpiece wears out.

On the other hand, the similarities to FFX would have been even more obvious, particularly including the corrupt civil/religious administration and the party winding up on the wrong side of it.

Oh well. The music was good, the combat was fun, and the enemy designs were gratifyingly nonsensical, from Designer Jeans Behemoth to Airplane Moai Pope-bot.

I dropped FFXIII-2 halfway through when Xenoblade came out in the US and never looked back, having been reminded what a joy it is to have your RPG's party be actually likable.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

That gif's to throw (heh) you off. The real next segment of the game is everyone tripping balls on Sin toxin in a dungeon based on an MC Escher painting.

Or it was, but Square realized that trick didn't work so well when your backgrounds aren't pre-rendered anymore.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

It seems probable that Nomura had some say in who made it into the Dissidia cast, and he's gone on record saying that Jecht is one design he's personally very proud of. Deservedly, in that case, because he's memorable in all the right ways.

Guy did some spot-on adaptations of Amano's designs for the Dissidia roster (and a handful of Yoshida's) at that. I won't say he's an "underrated" artist, since he kind of deserves that corner he's painted himself into, but he can pull off some really good designs when he stops loving around. See also: Fang in FF13, who could almost pass as a palette+gender-swapped Jecht.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Oh, of course. He's a terrible person, but a very good character.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The only good ending to X-2 is the "bad" one.
Only bad things come of the "good" one.
Any and all things pertaining to and/or resulting from it should be summarily dismissed.

Aaaaand it's gone.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I honestly remember none of the Home sequence except the big reveal here, and the...sounds. :psyduck: Like how the somber music over this next scene juxtaposed itself with the indescribably obnoxious alarms and "panic" music playing through the rest.

Jesus loving Christ. There is a special place in hell for game designers who think droning alarms, vocal or otherwise, do anything good for the play experience.

It's right next to the other spot in hell for game designers who think yellow/green ambient lighting filters are acceptable ways to convey a gloomy or damp atmosphere, as opposed to just making everything look like dried vomit.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Honestly wondering, for anyone with the scientific knowledge: What the hell would having a spiral-shaped pupil do to your vision?

And wouldn't it technically be a spiral-shaped iris, covering the pupil to create that shape?

Like, setting aside whatever hosed up evolutionary scheme could possibly cause that to happen (and have it manifest as just ordinary heterochromia when mixed with other gene pools, at that)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Tae posted:

I've never seen such confusion for a stereotypical eye style.

Where the hell else has it shown up, particularly on what's intended to be "realistic" people?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Tae posted:

I feel like you put "realistic" on there as a fallback to move the goalposts, especially since nothing about these people are "realstic" human. The point is, stylized eye shapes is a very common thing that happens in japanese media

I'll actually lay it out: Tempting as it is, not all "Japanese media" should be lumped into quite the same category art direction-wise.

Yes, this game, as with many games made in Japan, contain tropes that also show up in anime. But, it's still it's own thing. Setting aside the hosed up physics, improbable lung capacities, teleporting doomwhaledads, violent sports murder, boob birds, regrettable wardrobe decisions, horned cat-mans, cartoon-haired tree people with political aspirations, puzzle-based filler dungeons, swords made of water, stilted laughter, canned dialogue snippets, and one-for-one cipher languages, kooky spiral eyes are a noteworthy design detail. Wait, no, I see your point.

Just not in the way you were trying to make it.

Anyway, I guess having one's pupil obstructed as such would be similar to having cataracts. Which is why the Al Bhed live in a sun-drenched desert when not performing late-night scuba diving expeditions.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Wasn't this airship the objective of the salvaging that the Al Bhed were doing when we first met them?

Way back when.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Mexican food is my favorite food to regret eating.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

a fish

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

FFX-2 was fun.

Kheldarn posted:

Am I the only one who wants a FFX-0, detailing the adventures of Braska, Auron, and Jecht? (Probably)

Only if they got dresspheres because those were why.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

It was.

Anyway. Fei and Elly remain the sweetest video game romance, but the fact that they also sealed the deal on Tidus and Yuna well before the conclusion helps strengthen the story considerably (and at least Yuna remains present every step of the way, unlike Elly who gets yanked off before you can even hit the overworld again on disc 2)

Plus it's stupid to tease a relationship forever like freakin' every anime does, because what actually happens with a relationship tends to make a far more interesting story, character-wise, than building up to it. :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

As much of a corridor as it may be, the upcoming sequence (past the optional dungeon) is just packed with atmosphere and gorgeous scenery. Definitely the cathartic high point of the game.

At least, that's what I remember. Let's see how it holds up.

Anyway, they always seem happy to see elves when they show up in Lord of the Rings, but that one's probably cheating. :v:

It quite legitimately never happens in FFXIV, which play elves to their elfiest hilt.

Well, unless it's Lord Aymeric, but he's pretty enough to be a Tolkien elf.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

YeOldeButchere posted:

He's got a sword, a dog, does the whole samurai thing, is all about the (re)vengeance, and he tries too hard to seem like a badass in the few lines of dialog we've seen so far.

He seems like a Raiden to me.

Yeah, I like this.

Raiden

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

See now, I remember this entire sequence perfectly. :v:

It was sort of a chill-out place after the big Seymour fight and Tidus being a dream, which had been a plot twist that was eminently enjoyable in many ways. So hell, let's do some swimming around and fight a goofy overdesigned dragon during a nice sunset.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Basically every last thing about this update made me smile. So, thanks for that. :unsmith:

And now, one of the most beautiful audio-visual sequences ever to grace a PlayStation 2. At least, as I remember, from the last time I played this exactly 13 years ago, console freshly acquired as a Christmas present.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

I really wish Square showed some restraint and didn't piss away the first use of the Someday the Dream Will End/A Fleeting Dream track on a nothing early cutscene on one of the ferries where Tidus was being angsty about his dad or some poo poo.

At least it's very easy to forget it ever happened there. It's probably a whole lot more jarring on a repeat playthrough when you've undoubtedly come to associate it with this part.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

Fantastic.

I'll probably have an update tomorrow. Today was lost to Caim and Guy Fieri's fantasy murder adventures.

Next LP should be this game with those dudes.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

We've seen Yunalesca's design somewhere before.

It's a Nomura original.

To give them credit, the way they reinterpreted it for Yunalesca's "reveal" is absolutely phenomenal.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Buttrock is basically the go-to for drat near every Primal (i.e. a summon or glorified cameo from prior games) battle in FFXIV, and it is wonderful and should continue to be this forever. (with some exceptions allowed of course, such as for a Moogle-flavored Nightmare Before Christmas tribute and a truly scenery-devouring Mongolian Throat-Singing Opera)

As for here, the setpiece for this, for all intents and purposes the final boss of FFX, is one of the most incredibly cool Square-Enix has ever managed to put out. It brings the visual theme from the very beginning back around in a way that's so incredibly satisfying, and when Otherworld kicked in, cheesy as I found it at first, I got some chills, man. Chills.

kalonZombie posted:

Jecht's Final Aeon form is part of the reason why he's my favorite character in FFX, not gonna lie.

And there is also this.

Bit late, but: Poor Seymour. Even Ramsus managed to score a couple of cutscene victories.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:allears:

e. don't pass up FFXIV. Beat the 2.0 stuff in your free month and pay for one month (for the cost of going out to a movie and getting popcorn) in which you beat all the 3.0 stuff. Enjoy a setting and story that's easily one of the best the franchise has put forth, for whatever that's worth.
Unless of course on principle you hate MMOs and those lame other people they contain, you social reject you.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 26, 2016

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

X-2 gets credit for being the first JRPG ever that made me actually look forward to the next random battle.

Others have improved on it since, but it was a hell of a thing back in the day.

e. FFXII should've been entirely about Penelo with all of Vaan's character traits, and she's driven early on by her teenage crush on Balthier, and then her teenage hatecrush on Basch, and then her teenage idolization of Ashe, leading ultimately to a nice self-actualizing coming-of-age moment where oh poo poo, these people I was nuts about are actually looking to me for inspiration, I have experienced Character Development.

I mean, they could've done all of that more openly with Vaan too, but combining traits gives you a bit more texture to the character and Penelo is actually not outright annoying just to look at.

But anyway.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 29, 2016

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Fang was the best character.

Hope was another character that had an annoying loving design, actual role notwithstanding, and they missed a huge opportunity by not having him show up in FFXIII-2 as a buff, bearded adamantoise-wrangler, but the people who made FFXIII aren't self-aware enough for that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

It was a great trip as always, TDI. Maybe once you're over the hangover, you'll consider gracing us with yet another, because we know you love this poo poo.

As for Final Fantasy X: Pretty good game, and still one of the best settings that the franchise has ever delivered. While the sequel was more than a little off-kilter in parts, it was a singularly fun game to play, and I gotta say: The "bad" ending where Yuna moves on as her own person is genuinely great and feels the most sincere and true to the character she becomes...but, this little epilogue put a nice spin on the "good" ending, in and of itself. Yuna, ya done good, girl.

• Locked thread