Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It's kind of incredible for the main love story that Tidus's managed to seal the deal when we're only like 2/3rds through the game. You usually have to wait until the post credits or for someone to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I would have given it to Ben but that's me.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
hahah, you guys. yojimbo is a ghost. what's he even doing with the money?! Hahaha

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Clock Tower 3 was... a videogame??

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I already read the manga every couple years since it's a loving masterpiece, so I support your suggestion.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Omobono posted:

Depends on the battle system. In 7, I usually loaded Cloud with a couple summon materia to bring down the thunder (or hellfire or Bahamut) if the enemy was resistant to Buster sword to the face. But that was without being able to tag in, say, Red or Yuffie or whoever had the offensive spells loaded.

IIRC Cloud is actually one of the better mages in your party in FF7, as well as being a great physical shitkicker. Being Captain America has it's perks.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
What makes Crono amazing is his ultimate weapon has like a 70% crit rate and a godlike attack power. Even on a minimal XP run, where Crono stays at level 1 he's still one of your best attackers by the endgame.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Off the top of my head, Sun shades are a 20% or 25% boost to damage, and Prism Specs are 50%, which are both pretty sweet. Frog's the only one who gets a crit boosting item aside from a couple of new accessories in the DS version.

In the low level game specifically, you usually want Crono holding on to the wallet (so you earn no experience from fights) or Gold Stud (so he can actually use his spells) I think.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Man, I do not even remember this boss at all. :psyduck: When people were hinting about "oh man, the next boss", I thought I got the order mixed up and they were talking about the boss two out from now. I was sure Bevelle was the last we saw of Seymour until the endgame.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I get the Machina came from Zanarkand. I just want to know how they're still running ten centuries later.

Ah, that is true.

They really knew how to build stuff back then.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Do humans even have surnames? I always just thought it was because Spira predates surnames in general. Like how you used to be called after your job, Tom Builder, Jim Fletcher and suchlike.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
No, 8 is definitely a bad game.

dis astranagant posted:

Seymour Flux seems to be THAT BOSS more for people who noticed that Tidus gets Flee really early and wouldn't quit using it. And to a lesser extent for people who skipped most of the Calm Lands crap.

Yeah, I learned this strategy was bad at a young age when one of my friends was talking about Jenova LIFE and other bosses in FF7 kicking his rear end because he just ran from most random encounters, which was a baffling idea to me and a few of my other nerd pals.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

NikkolasKing posted:

Only Tidus and Jecht weren't "real" before coming in contact with Sin. But Tidus' Mother is on the Farplane just like "real" Spirans. Why? I dunno. And....

The Al Bhed think that the Farplane doesn't contain the souls of the dead, they just reflect what you yourself bring there back at you or something, so there's that. I mean, there's the detail that alive people never show up but....

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
You know how in Dragon Quest VIII the main character is totally immune to all curses because of a late game twist? And how that is both crucial to the plot and a cool ingame mechanic?

Tidus is just lucky Square didn't put the Aeons on the field at the same time as the party, or any time Seymour used banish that'd be Game Over.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

ManlyGrunting posted:

Holy moley, the bosses are so forgettable in this part that I completely forgot about this boss and thought people were referring to the other forgettable boss before That Motherfucker, which everyone else seems to have forgotten. :psyduck:

Yeah, same here, I thought we only had The switchy-platform thingy, then beta Yuna, I have zero memory of this boss. He seems like a real pushover though, so that's probably why.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Tidus just keeps repeating the narrative over and over again until the player finally names him Moonchild.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Her name is Agnes and you know it's Agnes! It means Lamb! Lamb of God!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Bufuman posted:

That one may be more down to Fran's particular home. For all we know there are other forests with other Viera groups that don't react nearly as strongly as Fran's clan does to their villagers wanting to go adventuring.

That or the other Viera that are out in the world just went the same route as Fran and said "Screw your xenophobic rules, I'm out."

There definitely are other villages since the Viera males have at least one.

I got the impression that while Viera leaving was relatively rare and a big deal to village Viera, they also live for loving ever, so a bunch have built up over the years.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
You think the real NX-01 even had decon chambers?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Speedball posted:

He also expresses trouble with basic algebra at one point. gently caress me if the writers expect me to take him seriously as an engineer. Also he was second-in-command? In charge of REED? Bull-loving-poo poo. Enterprise was a bad show.

"Clueless loser who needs everything explained to him" is a decent viewpoint character, just like Tidus in FFX, but someone whose job it is to fix and build poo poo? No way.

Reid was the Tom Paris of Enterprise. The one dude on the ship who was actually competent.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

ApplesandOranges posted:

But you're never forced to play Triple Triad. There's never a point in the story where the game goes, 'okay Squall, play some card games to prove you're a worthy SeeD.'. Yes, cards give you access to a lot of useful items and magic to break the game over the knee. But it's not like FFVIII is particularly hard in the first place.

The best cards for items (Quistis, Zell, Kiros, Gilgamesh) are indeed all gotten through playing. But you do get enough freebies without having to play people and 80% of enemy card players are terrible anyway.

The best way to use the cards in FFVIII is to never play the actual game.

Much like FFVIII itself, really.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Litany Unheard posted:

Lotta fanfic/shipping chat all of a sudden. You all are reading fanfics to laugh at them, I hope.

We were all 14 once, man.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I picked up on all of that as a 10 years old child because I listened to Cloud's helpful tutorials! Let the pro SOLDIER teach you how it's done.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
My favourite is still the giant pizza-cutter from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

McDragon posted:

This whole Sin fighting bit gets very silly. Getting in the innards and breaking vital bits makes sense, but getting into a straight-up fight first is just ridiculous. I do like the silliness in a way, but it just throws all sense of Sin danger out the window.

The thing is, the idea of a giant unstoppable kill monster that eats civilisations whole needing to be defeated by our heroes fighting it's way through it's innards to the black heart beneath has been done competently before. By Square.

I think Chrono Trigger really sells it a lot more. Aside from general destruction and having the initial outside bit straight murder the main character earlier in the story so your know it isn't loving around, in the end actually getting inside needs a multi-form boss rush or literally smashing a time jet into it's face at a billion miles an hour.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

ZiegeDame posted:

Or just walking up to it and hacking it's face open. Thing is Chrono Trigger let you do that from the moment you reach the End of Time, you're just gonna get your rear end kicked because you're trying to fight the end boss at level 12.

Yeah, but aside from when you fight Lavos in Zeal it does a megaman style boss rush and imitates all the previous main bosses before you fight the outer shell, so it's a challenge unless you're NG+ or a grinding nutter.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

12 was a single-player MMO in all but name, we've already established this.

That's a fine opinion.

For a clown to have.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Geostomp posted:

I know, but still.

FFVII has the weirdest form of nostalgia I've ever seen. People can't shut up about it, but they always hype it as the most boring, generic angst you could imagine. All the continuations since have been the same boring generic angst. Meanwhile, actually playing the iOS version gives you a goofy game unique enough to want to remember instead.

I think it's because of when it got popular. At least in my memory, most people played Final Fantasy 7 through '98, accounting for how long the game was and people picking it up later through word of mouth, that'll be around the 98-00 era. Those kids who it impacted the most and were the biggest superfans were probably hitting age 13-16 around the early 2000s which was right when things like Newgrounds and Linkin Park were becoming popular and the internet was hitting peak Edge. Angst and black trenchcoats was the flavour of the day, and people latched onto and emphasised those aspects of the game. And then as time went on most people's memories of FF7 are heavily influenced by the fandom and all the annoying assholes called Sephiroth_89 on MSN messenger and various anime forums.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I can't hate Lightning as a character because she isn't one, since that would require having a personality.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Wow this was a hell of a ride. Congratulations on finishing the LP, can't wait to see all you guys for the next one in 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Yeah XDETH would have freed himself from his bonds eventually. FFV is pretty similar to, say, VII, in that you are constantly one step behind Exdeath pretty much the entire time.

Speaking of FFVII, the Black materia is the wrong argument to make. I think it can be argued that if Cloud had never interacted with Jenova's headless torso inside the shinra building and caused it to "awaken" then the entire plot doesn't start when it does (though Sephiroth probably would have gained control eventually anyway).

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 4, 2016

• Locked thread