Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh cool, this is back. I can't believe it's been ten two three years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Seconding this.

I also have no idea how I never considered the weirdness of the tank or noticed Yuna teleporting during the Seymour scene when I first played this. :psyduck:

McDragon posted:

Also I like that Yuna's description of the sphere back in the Thunder Plains is that the gist is "please take care of my son" and then you get here and it turns out Jyscal basically did request that, but meant it in a more Al Pacino way.

:allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 6, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

All caught up.

On the topic of the Seymour fight, his buddies aren't immune to petrification, so Kimahri is useful if you have Stone Breath. Fleetingly.

They really should've given him Dragoon attack skills or something for his Grid.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rose Spirit posted:

I vote Alice because she's All-Ice :downsrim:

Too bad this isn't Final Fantasy II. I think Ice-IX is actually a spell in that game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BTAS was a really cruel show to Mr. Freeze. :smith:

Voting for Nora.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kimahri needs more wrestling move Overdrives.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aurain posted:

The canon route for FF7 should have been ignoring Yuffie and Vincent entirely.

Hey, Yuffie's not so bad. Aside from that whole Wutai sidequest thing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm utterly lost as to what you're all talking about spoiler-wise. Guess I'll just wait and see. Never mind.

But yeah, chalk me up as someone who wanted to see a Water Aeon.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Anyone else think Anima kinda looks like (VIII Ending spoiler) Ultimecia's final form?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I actually kinda liked the Cloister of Trials. In the sense that the temples are all designed in really neat ways and I liked getting treasures.

I even like seeing the various kinds of spheres. :shobon:

That being said, having the Cloister of Trials occur right after you killed Seymour is kind of awkward. Unless the Guado specifically set up the temple this way in the event that some Summoner tried to murder a Maester.

Speedball posted:

So, you think Tromell actually looked at that sphere or do you think he's just smashing it out of spite because "whatever the hell was on that drat thing made them KILL OUR KING!"

Judging by lines he gives later when you revisit Guadosalam and his behavior in X-2, he did not look at it.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 8, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

I think Tromell saw the sphere but decided to cover it up because it could sour relations between humans and guado weird root people.

Whether he saw it or not, it still seems kind of dickish to destroy a sphere left by your previous leader.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

The real villain is Neopotism. And Yuna and Tidus are just as bad as anyone else.

And the kind of isolationism of each ethnic group. Sure, they can all come together in Luca, but you have people saying things like "The Guado take care of Guado affairs", "Let the Ronso handle their own problems", pretty much EVERYTHING involving the Al Bhed, etc.

I'm not sure if it was intentional, but we don't even see Hypello outside of the Moonflow, which makes me wonder if that kind of thing extends to the smaller races as well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jyscal was already sent by Yuna, so he should be fine.

Doesn't stop his unsent from being a boss in the sequel's bonus dungeon, though. Somehow. (X-2 Details)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm sorry, what? For a minute there I thought I was in the Skyrim thread. :psyduck: Did the first poster to say gently caress elves think they were too? Where did this actually come from?

Or is it a Drakengard joke I'm missing?

I think everyone's just being racist against the Guado. And those elf races from XI and XIV that I can't be bothered to look up the names of.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's also the Dark Elf in IV.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

So a ten ton tank rolling out onto the ice firing gatling guns and laser cannons didn't so much as put a dent onto the frozen ice. But an angry, mostly dead yeti doing a downward heavy punch before keeling over dead shatters the lake's surface immediately? I probably should have stopped thinking about Spira physics back when blitzball was introduced, huh...?

I'm glad you said something about it, because I was certainly going to.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jackt isn't too bad of a translation. The rest of that, though. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For some reason I cant help but now picture the Al Bhed as a single family of drunken rednecks that keep popping up.

You're not entirely wrong. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Record Keeper has just been Auto-Battle, the Game for me so far. The boss sprites are great, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Time for your regularly scheduled dose of Sin Toxin.
Is there a reason Sin is there or is the story actually working on an arbitrary Sin Timer.

Sin seems to alternate between destroying places and showing up where Tidus is.

Even as a killer space whale, Jecht still cares about his son's well-being. :3:

DukeofCA posted:

I'll throw my hat into the not knowing it was Sin pile as well. I always took it to be that the moment the Fayth stopped singing was when Sin showed up.

Same here.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

You know we hear all this poo poo about Sin Toxin being deadly, but our party has been exposed quite a few times and now they'd might as well be mainlining it.

To be fair, it's got precedent. Final Fantasy IX talks about how the Mist causes abnormalities in the mind, yet you travel through it the whole game without issue.

Onmi posted:

Jecht was the worst father when he last saw his son as a human so now he's trying to make up for it. Of course now Jecht is a giant space whale harbinger of all destruction and every time he takes Tidus to see a ball game and their team is losing he gets mad and annihilates the entire stadium, killing everyone.

Also now we know why the Blitzball Stadium is never attacked by Sin. none of the teams are good enough for Jecht to get any enjoyment watching it.

This sounds plausible enough to be canon. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 13, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Also again, I am had just done a face plant from... look, I never was much of a numbers guy except blitzball points so... it was pretty high!

"Huh...? Hey! Are you saying I'll never be like Rikku! Kimahri!"

Noticed some typos in the update.

Also, I'm pretty sure Auron's at, like, -12 fucks at this point.

The Dark Id posted:

”His was WAY more slurred and off tune and half the time it would sort of devolve into that one pop song that was always on the radio. You know the one with whatsherface Lana or Ren or something. Gag!”

:allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 13, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

She didn't understand the concept of selecting commands from a menu, so she just sat there and died about 5 times before I wandered back over and was just gobsmacked.

She'd successfully played Pokemon before so I didn't understand it.

EDIT: for the record she was about 16 years old at the time.

Was the "Attack" command too ambiguous? :psyduck:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It never really bothered me that much, but I was A) a teenager who didn't think about that kind of poo poo much and B) If Sin can teleport Tidus from Zanarkand to Spira, it probably wouldn't take much more to slingshot them into the loving desert.

Given the gif above, I don't think that requires spoiler tags.

Speedball posted:

Yeah, I'm waiting until this LP is over, but I really wanna link the video of Tidus and Jecht throwing down. Tidus manages to be really badass.

The first Dissidia game had some really great Character vs. Villain final showdown videos.

Be sure to show the clips from Shade Impulse, too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Actually would that one be a spoiler at this point? (I honestly don't know, haven't played this game all the way through)

The technique, no. The EX Mode, yes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

They really would.

See: Genesis Rhapsodos and the Final Fantasy X-2.5 novel.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

But their faces look weiiiiirrddd

Yuna looks normal, but Tidus looks bizarre.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I always tried to make a habit of beating the Zuu with Tidus alone back when I had this game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

I remember that my second time through I had that by the time of the Chocobo Eater.

How? :stare:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

You know, I kinda got that feeling too. There's a dude in Kilika who snaps at you when you talk to him, honestly a pretty reasonable reaction considering what just happened, and a lady who says "oh forgive him the toxin got to him." I started to wonder if sin's toxin wasn't actually real and people just use Sin as an explanation for weird behavior and mental problems and all that.

Maybe Sin's Toxin got to Seymour.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Tidus' lack of familiarity with things makes sense, given that there's a lot that wouldn't have been around during his time. The whole of Yevon, for instance, given that Sin wasn't around then.

Then there's the fact that Sin has been around for 1000 years blowing up places and probably requiring the map to be redrawn a lot.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alaan posted:

Tifa and the girl who I can't remember tell him about Midgar though on the two reactor bombing missions.

Jesse.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

More Al Bhed for me to translate!

Geostomp posted:

Man, everyone's hometown is getting invaded in this game.

Besaid is fine!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

So is it ever explained at all how in the hell Seymour knew about Home, the top-secret Al-Bhed hideout that Rikku made everyone promise to shut up about ahead of time?

For that matter, how the hell did Seymour even know they were anywhere near Home?

Well, Wakka calls them sand-blasted earlier in the game, so I guess everyone is aware they live in the desert. Yevon's higher ups keeping tabs on the location of Home for potential genocide isn't too much of a stretch. I just want to know how the Guado got a raid together on the desert that fast. We only see one airship in this game!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

We don't know how long the party was under the effects of Sin. It could've been a while.

True. There are a number of points in recent updates where an indeterminate amount of time passes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It was already happening, Yuna and Co. just happened to stumble onto it while it happened.

I was under the impression this attack was revenge for the kidnapping attempt on Yuna in Macalania, unless I'm remembering something incorrectly.

Gaz-L posted:

By the way, the suggestion TDI made of Yuna going down the Black Magic grid path? Is a very good idea. In order to make her healing magic work, Yuna has a weirdly high magic stat, that means she hits like a loving truck once she gets some offensive spells.

She's honestly a better Black Mage than Lulu.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, that movie sucked.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Never mind, it's a three year old update. No point bothering you about it!

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 18, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's probably a phonetics book or something. Who knows?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I like the idea of Tidus being so grateful to Rikku for helping him that he just goes out of his way to learn all about their culture, Yevon be damned.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You know, now that I think of it, the Al Bhed thought Tidus was a fiend in human form.

I wonder if there are any unsent Al Bhed running around Bikanel and their separation from Spira has them in the dark about that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ajanouha ihtan! Ajanouha ihtan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Man I love Petrify Grenades. The petrification effect in X is so awesome.

I always wondered why it seemed like Wakka missed a word here.

Onmi posted:

I don't remember the PR guy.

You've probably repressed memories of him.

I honestly thought that he stopped in battles, though.

The Dark Id posted:

“No... My dad just isn't very good at naming thing. My brother is literally named 'Brother'.”

The funny thing is that he's older than Rikku. So he was named Brother before Rikku was born.

Unless they're twins and he was named after they both came out. :shrug:

Geostomp posted:

So, Tidus is finally going to put two and two together about the incredibly subtle hints that Summoners probably aren't gonna have a fun time at the end of their trips?

To be fair, for a world where a space whale blows up civilizations regularly, Summoners go out and die fighting it (or on the way to fighting it), and the Unsent come back leaving you sphere telling you to whack a guy, Spirans really love dancing around the topic of death.

Then again, you'd think Tidus would start to get suspicious about the fact Braska isn't around anymore or at least ask Auron about it.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 21, 2015

• Locked thread