Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bufuman posted:

Why, surely, the faux-Catholic corrupt organization with a patricidal psychopath and one of its four most powerful members wouldn't go and bring down a little ethnic cleansing on a group of people that don't agree with them. You're talking nonsense.

The Wakka stare there? You know he was weighting "Find Yuna" vs "Kill the heathens" and he was pissed Rikku saw through him.

Bufuman posted:

Well, no, there's no god-stabbing in that one. But you DO get to shank Flying Magical Hitler, so that's a plus.

Legend of Dragoon is a weird-rear end game when you really think about it.

Flying Magical Hitler had just hijacked the ritual to become God, it still counts.
I can't believe the sentence I just wrote, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

For Operation Mi'ihen I always got the impression the big lightning-gun almost did do some damage to Sin; it pushes his shield in quite a ways before it shoots out that wave burst and snaps it off at the base. It did enough to at least make him focus his attention on it for a moment instead of just passively doing poo poo.

2nd principle of thermodynamics, NRA formulation: anything can be killed by a big enough gun.
Unfortunately, current machinas are not big enough for Sin and good luck getting a research grant by Bevelle instead of the Spiran inquisition.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:psyduck: are we really talking about pupil shape physics?

No, that shape doesn't modify vision in meaningful ways. As long as the crystalline lens focuses the light properly on the retina pupil shape is a non-factor, especially in the HD remaster where Al-bhed pupils are normal pupils with spiral bits attached.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I see Maroda defaults to the Killer Croc method of murder.

And yeah, The Palace of St. Bevelle actually is a pretty location. Shame we never find out who St. Bevelle is.

Wasn't he the first guardian, i.e. the guardian to the first High Summoner? Or am I making that up?**
Incidentally, is there a list of High Summoners somewhere? Yuna was named after the first one, Braska was eight I think, any extra material on who were the other 6 assholes?

**evidently my memory failed badly, first guardian was called Zaon

Omobono fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 30, 2015

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Despite how disjointed it is, I like this part because Auron is finally giving both answers and homeopathic amounts of fucks. The party getting hit, repeatedly and massively, by the clue-hammer is nice seasoning.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Speedball posted:

Haha! Good point, I guess we need to update the Fucks counter now.

This is the part of the plot where Auron starts to believe that yes, the kids can make this work. As a result, he starts actually caring and giving fucks again.
I also guess that babysitting young Tidus for 10 years was really, really good training for never giving a gently caress.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Autocorrect from mom, I'd assume.

Speaking of, is there any information on Yuna's mom in-game beyond Al-bhed and Cid's sister? Because I don't recall even a bloody name.
Admittedly, this is the company where beloved title Chrono Trigger had a character called Crono's mom, but still.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

oldskool posted:

Saints Row IV.

I love that the paragon choice is still a right hook (or whatever the Boss uses afterwards) because some dicks do need punching.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Anyway, while I love Blue Mages, I feel like Kimahri exemplifies everything I dislike about the class. Of all the skills he has so far, I'd argue that Mighty Guard is the only one worth being an Overdrive. Far too many junk skills like Seed Cannon or Doom. I mean, really, Doom as a Limit Break? What were they thinking? I don't even know why they made Kimahri a Dragoon, either, if all he's going to have is Jump. Mixing a physical attacker with a Mage class sounds like a bad idea, anyway.

Depends on the battle system. In 7, I usually loaded Cloud with a couple summon materia to bring down the thunder (or hellfire or Bahamut) if the enemy was resistant to Buster sword to the face. But that was without being able to tag in, say, Red or Yuffie or whoever had the offensive spells loaded.

Here, when meeting a Flan means hitting L1 and tagging in Lulu, a jack of all trades can't really compete, since the main attraction of a generalist is that he's never going to be dead weight. Too bad that if the enemy is immune to magic/physical (choose which appropriate) Lulu and Auron high-five nod at each other and the useless one goes off to fix her belts or get drunk.
And yeah, blue magic as an overdrive is completely useless, since the strong point of the skillset is the versatility and you can't be versatile on a single shot.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Basically:
the fayths are playing The Sims, massive multiplayer dream Zanarkand edition.
This particular version of The Sims is not played on a PC, but on an actual island with everything shaped through pyreflies, including the Sims inside. Hence why Auron could ride the Sin express to Fayth Zanarkand and babysit young Tidus.

Jecht and Tidus became something more than mere Sims upon getting moved to Spira and interacting with actual people. Jecht getting to Spira was a chance occurrence, Tidus was planned since Jecht became Sin, give or take.

There's still information missing, of course, but Auron is not sharing.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Uh, I had forgotten Zaon was non-functional, I thought he was the Bahamut faith (not that it's supported in any way by the rest of the game, but Bahamut screams Final Summon anyway).

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Some points of order:
1) I believe it was stated in extra materials that Yunalesca "deals" with any other guardian a summoner may have. Auron was probably the first one managing to get out alive; either that or Yevonites takes care of it, but Auron took the spacewhale express to Faith Zanarkand.

2) Did anyone wonder why it's a minor tratidion to have as few guardians as possible, at most one? Here it is, easier cleanup afterwards.

3) While the calm getting shorter is dumb, that's because of the numbers involved. 500 years for the first one, 6 months for the last one is a bit too big a shift. However, the idea of it really fits the Spiran spiral of death, because it shows that Sin is getting better at taking over Aeons.

Curiosity, are any of our current aeons a previous final one? Most probably aren't, but Trogdor definitely feels like one.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Xoidanor posted:

She's just an unsent like Seymour and equally inexplicably powerful.

Unsent are made of pyreflies. Summoners train to manipulate pyreflies and shape them into powerful form to channel the aeons.

Unsent summoners can thus manipulate themselves for a massive boost.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tempest_56 posted:

So yeah, about Auron being the first one to get out alive....

For a given value of alive, obviously. I was trying to avoid spoilers there, you know.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Doesn't Keepa (the Aurochs' goalkeeper) turn into one of the best forwards at really high levels?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Dr. Snark posted:

You know, I know that the marriage technically went through and everything, but does "until death do us part" still apply if one of the participants is already dead and has been killed like twice since then?

I think that clause would have to come in to effect at some point...unless Spira has an additional "unsent don't count" clause. Which I admit is pretty likely...

One of the Dragon Quest games had "Until you stop getting raised at a church" instead of the Until Death part. Here on Spira they probably have a poetic "Until a Sending do us part" that coincidentally makes unsent valid grooms and brides.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kanfy posted:

That was Dragon Quest V, a Good Videogame and the exact opposite of Final Fantasy X when it comes to parenting.

Right, the one were the first part of the game is the PC as a kid in his badass dad party? As in, you have sections where you lead but whenever Dadass is in the party you follow him around in scripted sequences because he's not in your party, you're in his.
Where dadass gets taken down by a villain taking you hostage? And it takes quite a loving hearthrending while.
The one where you're not the legendary hero, your son is?

I should read the LP again methinks.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ugh, Dissidia was cool but gently caress if I didn't hate the button reading overly defensive AI by the end.
On the other hand, chaos rules were hilarious, just spam a no risk attack making the AI perma-dodge until Chaos lost his patience and stunned the fucker for like 5 seconds. :getin:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

VagueRant posted:

What is this?

Pokemon series, where some trees block your passage unless you use the Cut special move and asking your max level fire pokemon, whose best attack can probably melt rock, to simply burn the forest down is not an option.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

akkristor posted:

In a Tales Of game, it's [Complete the very definitively final dungeon] - [walk up to boss door] - [decline to go through boss door] = > [Postgame stuff].

Nah, that's for some sidequests. Postgame is usually less bullshit.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

AlphaKretin posted:

Haha, what the gently caress? That's what Giga Graviton is? I've been playing FF13-2 lately and that's one of Caius' attacks. I knew he was a developer's pet OC do not steal, but giving him Sin's overdrive is just ridiculous. :psyduck:

Also it's just some pissy gravity bomb that, like anything in the game if you don't intentionally restrict your levels, is no threat. :v:

He's three Bahamuts (or a three-headed Bahamut, depending on how you see it) and your camel's straw is stealing Sin's overdrive?

Caius being the dev's pet OC, do not steal, is reductive. It's like saying the Marianas Trench is deep.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ApplesandOranges posted:

You also have to add the addendum that apparently every previous High Summoner only had one Guardian by the time they reached Zanarkand, since there were no survivors to tell anyone else how the Final Summoning worked. The exception being Braska, who had both Jecht and Auron.

Of course the implication is that Dona would have been killed by Barthello, while Isaaru might have had one brother survive. Good luck to either Pacce or Maroda on surviving the trek back through Mt. Gagazet alone though.

I believe it's stated in extra materials Yunalesca cleans up any extra guardians around afterwards. Basically what happened with Auron, except Auron was so badass he made the trek back from Gagazet while mortally wounded (probably shedding most of his fucks on the way), then decided gently caress death I'm taking revenge on Yevon et al. the long way.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Geostomp posted:

You also get a wrestling gay vampire who thinks he's a superhero, a guy who turns into demons, alongside Princess Anastasia Romanov in your group. The sequel gets even weirder with Frank the Brazilian ninja, a vampire that thinks like a magical girl who sucks calories from her opponents, and more assorted freaks.

The Valentine vampire family was always good, even Keith. And no, the vampire wrestler doesn't just think he's a superhero, he actually has a superhero form. It's him with a butterfly mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

chiasaur11 posted:

Fates gives us... Corrin. Now, he's slightly less of an idiot in the other two routes, but Conquest Corrin does his level best to win the "Dumbest JRPG protagonist" award. At one point, he can't recognize his (possible) wife when she puts on a different dress. His wife who is the only person in the game with nearly floor length blue hair, who is singing the one song she knows and using water magic, her unique ability which no-one else has.

gently caress's sake, Corrin.

Was it a "Higher brain functions encountered the error: my fiancee is HOT; reeboting consciousness now" situation or is he really that stupid?

Also, remind me, Birthright is the one were you go back to the "good"* monarchy while Conquest is the one where you stay with the "evil"* empire, right?

*good and evil descriptors assigned only based on standard jRPG cliché characterization of nations, actual morality may vary.

• Locked thread