Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I vaguely remember hearing that Braska's Calm lasted ten years. I could very well be mistaken, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
The cutscenes of the airship taking off and destroying Home are my favorites in the whole game. Back when I first played it in early 2002, I'd never seen a game look even close to that good. I realize they're pre-rendered and all that, but even so, I think the cutscene team outdid themselves here. It still looks pretty good even today.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Weird that they left out the female cast except for Yuna.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Fedule posted:

I really, really loving hate Suteki Da Ne.

I mean for the most part it's pretty okay, and I'm okay with it being Japanese since Uematsu doesn't really have the best record with lyrical translations (though to be fair that's really hard), and I don't even object to the instrumentation, melody, structure, meter, mood, subject matter or thematic links (once they were explained to me, see: Japanese). That stuff is all good.

But the singer. She can't sing it. Every chorus. It's the "Da" in "Suteki da ne". It's the wrong note. Every. Time. It's the wrong loving note! Why in the gently caress did they allow this? I mean, it can't be deliberate - it can't be - because we've heard this melody a jillion times over everywhere else in the game and it's always in tune, but here it's discordant and jarring. But it's equally unlikely that it's accidental, because for one there are higher notes in the song that the singer nails, and for another why would they use a take that had errors? FFX has famously bad voice direction but that's only for the localization, and the soundtrack recording would be a different process altogether. What the gently caress is the deal with this song?. Gaaaaah. I want to like this song so much but every time I hear it I get startled and then I get confused and then I get angry.

gently caress.

This always bugged me too. That single glaring flat note. It's not just you!

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
So when I played this game years ago, I'm positive I remember a scene where Rikku starts blatantly flirting with Tidus and he's completely unresponsive. Like, she's running her hands over her breasts suggestively, and elicits no response whatsoever. I thought it was during the Thunder Plains, but looking over those updates, I can't find the scene anywhere? I wanted to see if it was as awkward as I remember, but either I missed an update or else it's up ahead. And I don't think it's up ahead, now that the leads are an item.

On the topic of a Xenogears remake, I don't think it's likely, just because of the expense and time involved. Look at what it took to get an FF7 remake rolling- does Xenogears have that kind of popularity or profitability?

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I believe you're thinking of the scene in Macalania where Rikku is basically like "Just give me a few more years and I'll be as mature as Lulu", to which Tidus immediately changes the subject.

Yep, that's the one. So she's not actually flirting, I was misremembering. Still awkward, though.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Tenebrais posted:

And the blue magic doesn't give him anything that other characters can't do either, regardless of how easy it is to sue.

Yeah, Spira's civil courts are notoriously lax when it comes to frivolous lawsuits. :v:

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Not even, IIRC. It's a quick jog past some neat-looking pillars, then... we'll find out. I remember being very confused the first time I saw it, I wonder how the thread will make of it.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Eh, I remember Evrae pretty clearly. I didn't even have particular trouble with that fight, its design and battle mechanics just made it stand out to me.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
gently caress it, I like this scene. I like the whole Zanarkand sequence, actually, probably the best part of the entire game. True, the narration piece doesn't score a perfect landing, but I think it works well enough as a sort of "look how far we've come" moment. I don't even think it's all that implausible- they just trekked up and through a mountain to get to this place. Zanarkand also seems like as good a place as any to sit down and reflect, given that this is a centuries-old ruin very few people have ever seen. This last bit is particularly significant for Tidus.

Presumably, they haven't been laboriously recounting every detail of every random battle, and the personal bits were probably kept personal. We still have to have a video game in here somewhere, guys.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Dias is really strong in the remake, they sped him up and gave him a combo attack. I think all the fighters got that, actually,. Because that's what the game needed, even less of a reason to use spellcasters.
Goddamn Tidus's outfit is offensive. I don't know how many times I've seen it now, but it still gets me. It's like Nomura was hell-bent on the game not being taken seriously.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I liked how six year-old Seymour's hair is the exact same as his adult form, just smaller. I guess it just grows like that.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Words fail me.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

quote:

I like how Sandy Slash is posing like a 70's cigarette ad girl. "Malboro: Premier Spiran tobacco, premier flavor."

The Dark Id posted:

Democracy works sometimes. Occasionally. But not very well. I mean, the Hocus Pocus names were clearly the best options.

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
:bandwagon: for Seymour Battle being a good track.

There's actually a bit that's very reminiscent of the penultimate battle theme of FFVII. It's the arpeggio that starts at about 1:03.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQwQnEfbh0U

• Locked thread