Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Camel Pimp posted:

But spell it Ahnold
:agreed:
There has to be an appropriate one-liner... Or maybe TDI can find one every time she(?)'s summoned :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Thinking harder about the Ahnold name, I can't help but wish that something like Shivanator would fit. :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

:downs: I only just got the Nora joke, so I'm changing to that from Ahnold.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Regalingualius posted:

Ohhhh. I thought it was a reference to FF13's Nora. Which is also oddly fitting.

"Moms are tough!" takes on a whole new meaning. :v:

This is also what I thought. I guess that makes it a good name twice over! :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Elfface posted:

She's not in that - You're thinking of Titania. :thatwhispersmilyIcan'tfindrightnow:

:ssh:?

Also I remember first learning about blood types from the Mr. Freeze Batman cartoon as a kid so I don't know how I missed the Nora joke. Kid memory. :v:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 6, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Wait so do we get a second vote from that pool of three? If so, Nora :bandwagon:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The inside of a Guadosalam prison you say? You mean... the Guadosalammer? :downsrim: I'm so sorry.

E: VVV Thank you!

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 8, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

GeneralYeti posted:

Everything else does, though.

I'm pretty sure that's :thejoke:.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm sorry, what? For a minute there I thought I was in the Skyrim thread. :psyduck: Did the first poster to say gently caress elves think they were too? Where did this actually come from?

Or is it a Drakengard joke I'm missing?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The citizens of Elfland in FF1 weren't bad in the sense that no one in FF1 was much of anything. :v: Does that count?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

DropsySufferer posted:

Afarid not the evil king in F1 is Astos a dark elf .:colbert:

Yeah but that's a lone elf not the whole group and groups were what the question specified, to the explicit exclusion of lone exceptions. :colbert:

:goonsay:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Maybe the transliateration of "gua do" in Chinese means fat person? :v:

Also with no Riklu on the list I can't declare her last name to be "Albert" :(

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Sin Torture destroyed Zanarkand Zenakent as punishment for abusing Machina McDonald's. :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

No, please do continue translation chat. :allears: It really is fascinating.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

And of course Jecht's EX Burst. :allears:

Actually would that one be a spoiler at this point? (I honestly don't know, haven't played this game all the way through)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

BABY DON'T SEND ME
DON'T SEND ME NO MORE

I'm a little sorry.

Don't be. :allears:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So how did Al Bhed work in Japanese? I'm noticing a lot of substitutions are to a voiced/non-voiced equivalent of the same letter, which in Japanese look the same except for a small modifier. Or is that just for pronouncability and it's more scrambled in the original?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ApplesandOranges posted:

It uses kana instead, and has 47 characters instead of 26 (although two characters are exactly the same between Japanese and Al Bhed). In-game it's written using katakana.

I was thinking in terms of what is ciphered to what because if it was similar to English Al Bhed would look near identical to Japanese but I can just look up a chart myself :)

Although that does make me wonder, did the Japanese version have more guides (speaking of I thought each set of kana had 46, not 47? Is it using one of the old Japanese characters that aren't used anymore?) or multiple characters per guide?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

My cousin collects DVDs and owns the special edition of TSW. Someone talk me out of watching it :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Lupa. Lupa? Lupa! :v:

If Al Bhed's a cipher, what's Lefeinish?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

And of course Rikku's not just Al Bhed, she has to be the daughter of their leader because JRPG devs will commit suicide before making a playable character just a normal person.

E: VVV Not unexpected, in fact quite the opposite, just typical. :sigh:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 21, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

More games need enemies in the vein of Mother 3's Chimeras. If you don't what it is, go google cattlesnake immediately. :colbert:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Also lip flaps etc etc but "Yunie will die, y'know?" is not the best way to say that while being taken seriously.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Was that nuclear ordinance, right down to making a mushroom cloud, in a Japanese game? :eyepop: Maybe it looks more like conventional explosives in motion but-

Actually using taboo technology is supposed to be the Al Bhed's whole thing isn't it? Well played, Square. :golfclap: In general the anti-traditionalism theme of the game is unusual for something written by Japanese people but (with the note that this is my first time experiencing the game) this update really made me realise it. Huh.

Sorry if this got a little rambling, I realised the second paragraph as I was typing the first.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Actually wait, are Dona and Isaaru on board the Flying Derail Bait or did they get nuked? Will their existence even be acknowledged ever again?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Wait so what the gently caress would they do if Home was discovered earlier? Did they only just come up with the plan to nuke it? Or was it sunk because of a failed test flight? :psyduck:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

HR12345 posted:

Did I miss something?

The history of the LPer, mostly.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ki and Isis (oops :v:) from SaGa 2 both seemed like fairly proactive members/deities of a good guy religion but the religion isn't the focus and there's no big bad religion.

Also my entire knowledge of that game comes from a half-remembered narrative LP so someone else could probably provide better detail than me.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

SarahSyna posted:

Isn't that the exact backstory of Awakening?

Yeah (it comes up in like chapter 5 or 6 so I won't bother with tags), the reason Emmeryn is a pacifist is to try to make up for her father's crusades against Plegia, though that's more the one bad apple than standard Exalt behaviour.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Onmi posted:

You can give it an update. The update after it might as well be entitled "Seymour Explains my Plot" though.

Ahem, we have a theme! :colbert:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dissidia? So that's, what, Cosmos? Maybe Feral Chaos? There aren't exactly a lot of characters to choose from.

E: And isn't Record Keeper another crossover one or am I imagining things?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Variant_Eris posted:

There's a reason why it's called "Dissidia: Final Fantasy", and it ain't because it's the final fantasy in a Final Fantasy franchise.

Er, did you mean the Final Fantasy in a Dissidia franchise? Man, if only. :allears:

E:VVV Now I'm confused as to who means what. I meant that I thought you implied that it's the Dissidia entry in Final Fantasy, not the Final Fantasy entry to a hypothetical awesome Dissidia series, so of course there wouldn't be other IPs in there, but you made a typo and out Final Fantasy twice.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 9, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Mr_Blue posted:

What exactly do you mean by this? A Chrono Trigger character is in some new game?

I just looked it up and holy poo poo :stare::love:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissidia_Final_Fantasy_(2015_video_game)

E: fixed link

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 10, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Forget character roster, the game is going to disappoint us all by never coming to the west. :smith:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If you go through the Black Omen, Zeal is kinda sorta part of the final boss rush and one hell of a lot more human and voice-actable than the screeching St. Bernard in a spacesuit.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Between the hat and the constant smiling, Seymour looks really hard to take seriously in this sequence.

E: Wait no, I know what it is. His giant collar makes his head look tiny.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 12, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Bevelle Hell, nice. I'll be honest I skimmed the hell out of that update. No fault of yours, Id, just that even not having played I can tell gently caress this temple.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Was there ever actually any resolution to the revelation that Yuna will die? Tidus punched Kazooie a bit and then we got distracted by Home blowing up. Or does that come after we finish rescuing her?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Bguy32 posted:

Maybe people just really don't care about Machina and Wakkas the exception :shrug:

Lulu and Kimahri are also followers of Yevon, and they don't bat an eye at hypocritical use of Machina, especially Operation Mi'hen, or Rikku's being Al Bhed. I think it was fully intended that Wakka is a naïve idealist and everyone else just rolls with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So, they managed to make a daring raid on and thrilling escape from the evil theocracy's capital city the low point of the game, and not just as a compliment to the rest. Wow. :ughh:

• Locked thread