Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's pretty amazing that there are apparently only eight Summoners who have beaten Sin in 1000 years.

Don't the Calms only last for like a few months? That might be why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The whole Sin thing just doesn't stack up if you really think about it. Its normal activity has to be drive-by "light" attacks that just release some sinspawn and kill a few dozen people. Otherwise, as we've said, if it wants to flat out demolish a city every day, it can. If it wants to every week or month, it can. It's absolutely insane that people are still living in cities or even towns at all after like 1000 years of this poo poo. But if its city-destroying attacks are actually very uncommon? Like maybe once per year? Well, what we see of the world in game makes sense but the value of a Calm doesn't. It's a year without a major Sin attack at most. But that's his big wrecking poo poo activity "cooldown" cycle anyway. Like yes it is good that you don't have to worry about panther-sized death crab dandruff killing your sister, but think about the psychology of dealing with this thing: the waiting has to be the hardest part. You know it's coming someday, you just don't know when. Nothing can seem worth planning for long term if a few months down the line, a doom whale can flatten your town. The Calm doesn't relieve that horror, though, in the "infrequent city destruction" case. What would make sense is if the Calms lasted for like a generation. This would be enough time for people to wonder if maybe this time is the last, for children to grow up knowing Sin only as an old fable about a scary monster... until it shows up when they have kids of their own. Maybe kids they just told a scary bedtime story about that old monster... To me, that's a lot more depressing.

Generation-long Calms would also make the scenario in X-2 pretty interesting, given the greater potential for people to wonder if the "Eternal Calm" really is any such thing.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Gihyou posted:

Yeah, the cinematography is rarely good in this game but it is particularly awful here.

When I think back on playing this game, one of the strongest impressions I have is that Square seemed really excited to not have a fixed camera. It's like, "Now that I can move the perspective around, I am doing every goddamn thing possible with that whether it's a good idea or not!!"

I don't really have a problem with "Yunie will die," though. Using an affectionate nickname shows this as being way more personal and also frightening.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kinda seems like fully nomadic lifestyles would be more common. You can't stop the attack from coming but you can get away and disperse more easily that way.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Bufuman posted:

Does this stutter and play real slowly for anyone else, or is my computer showing it's crappiness yet again?

Pretty sure it's the emulator. When the stream chugs it doesn't correspond to anything else going slowly on my computer.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The Calm Lands has pretty good music at least.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

That's the point: Link is an elf, but "one of the good ones" because he gets his hands dirty.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kinda think Mass Effect had the best compromise solution: your last name is fixed, so people can refer to you by last name. Still awkward because there's plenty of situations where someone you're talking to wouldn't do that.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Honestly, I can't actually think of any times in the Mass Effect series when it was a problem. Keeping Shepard from having any family meant it was fine for everyone to refer to them by their last name, even more so with a lot of military influences being present.

I meant in general. I mean, having to craft characters so that they won't know many people who would naturally refer to them by first name, that's a limit that this method imposes. It also makes it hard to write closer personal relationships. A step up from "Son of Jecht/Star Player of the Zanarkand Abes" though.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It isn't necessarily a big deal. But it would be weird for my friends or family to call me by my last name.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

For some reason I never found the dream/real thing that confusing. Summoning makes the will of the Fayth real. If the Fayth wills a cool dragon attack monster, that's what summoning gets you. If enough Fayth get together to will into existence a city and its citizens, then that's what you get. The twist for me was that on some level, the Aeons never really seemed materially real because of how they dissolved when they died, so it didn't make sense to think of them as real living things with, like, a functional anatomy and stuff, down to having cells, etc. But there's nothing saying that's really the case or that making real an imagined thing at that level of detail and fidelity is outside the ability of a summoner. Tidus is functionally a real person, he eats and shits like anyone else, it's just that his existence, guts and all, is the will of some ghost stuck in a statue on this mountain, sustained in this world by summoning.

What's not clear at this point is who the summoner is...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Sgt Thud posted:

I feel like this might be somewhat relevant to post?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU3el-Kk8Fw

:perfect:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I don't remember having much of a problem with Yunalesca. :shrug:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Bufuman posted:

But yeah, anyone that claims to have beaten her on the first try without any trouble is either a goddamn dirty liar or just happened to get super loving lucky and had zombie on someone (or for some reason brought their solitary Deathproof armor to the fight).

I'm pretty sure it was dumb luck for me. I wasn't really impressed with myself about it, I just didn't remember much about this boss being abnormally hard, although I did remember the zombie/death gimmick. Now that Id's run down the way this fight works, I realize I probably just didn't get around to curing someone's zombie for some reason before she switched forms.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

AlphaKretin posted:

Dream is a misleading term; Tidus, Jecht and their Zanarkand (not the one we've just had updates in) are basically Aeons. They exist and are corporeal beings/physical locations, but they're willed into being by the dreaming Fayth and will disappear if they stop.

This just kinda makes me wonder what would happen if someone from Dream Zanarkand had a kid with a normal human from Spira. Would the kid, like, half-exist if the fayth stopped dreaming?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It'd probably be a case like Terra from Final Fantasy VI, where she becomes a normal human after the Esper all disappear.

The thing is, there's no normal/abnormal split. Being an Aeon doesn't inherently grant Tidus any abnormal abilities or nature. He is a human like anyone else save for the fact that he could wink out of existence if a dreamer wakes up.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kaptain posted:

Seeing as old LP discussion tend to be a recurring topic in this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEqOYn6Ncco

Guess who's back?as the usual Japanese online game weird crossover

No loving way.

eta: What exactly is this? Not a remake or??

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Not really that so much as it is Tidus living only so long as the souls of the damned be condemned to restless sleep.

Now, why Tidus didn't try negotiating for a couple of them to dream for ~50 more years (+/- impending alcoholism, he's Jecht's kid after all) is a question :v:

My vague understanding of FF10 metaphysics says that the fayth can't actually summon anything on their own, summoners turn their dreams into reality (aeons). Yu-Yevon is currently summoning Dream Zanarkand and Tidus, so if you kill him, the summoning ends and poof. Would be interesting if Yuna took over for Yu-Yevon.

This is also where I gave up on FF10 all those years ago. I just didn't have the DPS to take Sin out fast enough and did not feel like grinding/doing sidequests to beat it. Also why I quit FF9. Generally when I started no giving a poo poo about the series and JRPGs in general, tbh.

• Locked thread