Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LoveisOver
Aug 8, 2011
After the awful Hobbit trilogy I re-watched the Extended Editions of the LOTR trilogy to cleans myself of that filth. I admit my favorite is easily Fellowship of the Ring, and Two Towers is very watchable, but I find ROTK just drags on and on. It's the one of the trilogy that feels like it loses steam the most. After the Rohan charge to save Gondor it feels like the end (like the end of Helm's Deep), but of course it keeps going and going. If ROTK was split into two films, part 1 and 2, Peter Jackson could have filled in most of the stuff missing from what we got, and the half hour ending could have been softened with the Scouring of The Shire which a hypothetical ROTK part 2 certainly could have had. I'm surprised they didn't do this considering how heavy the last act of LOTR is, and after the box office success of Fellowship. They did it for the last Harry Potter... am I right? Shelob stinging Frodo and Orcs taking him away would have made a great cliffhanger for the end of ROTK part 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Just have movies be their own thing please...

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Yeah, remember this was when a trilogy was a trilogy. I've heard this complaint before, honestly I wished there were more to it. Maybe the scouring should be it's own film, I dunno. In any case, rounding out the trilogy with the whole slow-mo "say goodbye to everybody" thing was as good of way to end it than anything else.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
I thought it was fine as one movie. I have yet to see the LOTR films on BluRay though; how do they look?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Immortan posted:

I thought it was fine as one movie. I have yet to see the LOTR films on BluRay though; how do they look?

Green.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Sort of related, I have the extended cuts on DVD and they're all split over two discs, and the halfway point in RotK is so bad. Just smack in the middle of a horncall, as if whoever was cutting it didn't have sound on.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah I too wish that slog of poo poo that felt like it never ended would have been 6 combined hours over 2 movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

davidspackage posted:

Sort of related, I have the extended cuts on DVD and they're all split over two discs, and the halfway point in RotK is so bad. Just smack in the middle of a horncall, as if whoever was cutting it didn't have sound on.

This is almost as shameful as the tv edit of The Godfather where it fades out right after Michael stands up to excuse himself and then cuts to him already being in Sicily.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Fellowship is the only one of all those movies that still holds up. The rest are just terrible and drawn out. I have zero desire to ever watch them again.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

It should have just been shorter.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

TrixRabbi posted:

It should have just been shorter.

:agreed:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

LOTR works beautifully when you split the extended cuts across three nights and use the disc break as an intermission.

A lot of people don't realize that long movies were never meant to be watched in one long sitting. Even for classics like Lawrence of Arabia and Ben-Hur, the theater would have at least a 15 minute intermission between parts of the film. Even the long version of Abel Gance's Napoleon, running almost six hours, is shown with two intermissions (one 15 minutes long, the other an hour).

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

This is almost as shameful as the tv edit of The Godfather where it fades out right after Michael stands up to excuse himself and then cuts to him already being in Sicily.

What.

Is that really real?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Egbert Souse posted:

A lot of people don't realize that long movies were never meant to be watched in one long sitting. Even for classics like Lawrence of Arabia and Ben-Hur, the theater would have at least a 15 minute intermission between parts of the film. Even the long version of Abel Gance's Napoleon, running almost six hours, is shown with two intermissions (one 15 minutes long, the other an hour).

Old movies: the original "binge watch".

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I watched extended versions of all three films consecutively. Morning to night. Holds up, IMO.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Vegetable posted:

I watched extended versions of all three films consecutively. Morning to night. Holds up, IMO.

The only bad part about the ROTK theatrical release was the absence of this guy:

Because he owned.

E; Now my av. :D

Immortan fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 1, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Wait...what? Like, the murder isn't even in the movie?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't have a problem with ROTK's theatrical length. It's the only one of the three that I think doesn't need most of the scenes from the extended edition. In particular, the scene after the Halls of the Dead where it's already revealed the dead are going to fight with them completely takes the surprise out of the ships arriving to Minas Tirith.

We sort of dodged a bullet with LOTR, I think. LOTR and Harry Potter pretty much started this cinematic trend of "every book gets its own movie and sometimes 2 movies". Considering the books were actually written in 6 parts and Tolkien never liked it being called a trilogy, if it were made a decade later we likely would've gotten 6 LOTR films and then the Hobbit trilogy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yes, like literally he starts walking away from the table past the camera, fade out, commercials, the entire shooting/immediate fallout of that didn't happen.

The Horse in Tears
Nov 3, 2014
Personally I think Two Towers and Return of the King should've been combined into one.

All of the coolest, most memorable Middle-earth stuff is in Fellowship. Some of it appeared in The Hobbit first, but in the movies we got it all in the first one. This whole world with its races and history, Gandalf, the Ringwraiths, the Ring itself, and the mother of all RPG quests.

Comparatively there isn't a lot of really exciting new imagery in the later two movies. There's a) epic war poo poo and b) Gollum, who's like the one major element in Tolkien's books that didn't become a Fantasy staple.

Combined with some of the lesser attractions like the Ents or Shelob's lair that might've been enough to keep one movie up to the level of Fellowship. But not two that cover the same ground. Much less three.

The last times I watched them I turned it off after Eowyn kills the Witch-King. You have to time it carefully because I think it cuts from that to the bit with Legolas and the elephant, but if you get it right then "I am no man" is the last line of the series.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Horse in Tears posted:

Personally I think Two Towers and Return of the King should've been combined into one.

All of the coolest, most memorable Middle-earth stuff is in Fellowship. Some of it appeared in The Hobbit first, but in the movies we got it all in the first one. This whole world with its races and history, Gandalf, the Ringwraiths, the Ring itself, and the mother of all RPG quests.

Comparatively there isn't a lot of really exciting new imagery in the later two movies. There's a) epic war poo poo and b) Gollum, who's like the one major element in Tolkien's books that didn't become a Fantasy staple.

Combined with some of the lesser attractions like the Ents or Shelob's lair that might've been enough to keep one movie up to the level of Fellowship. But not two that cover the same ground. Much less three.

The last times I watched them I turned it off after Eowyn kills the Witch-King. You have to time it carefully because I think it cuts from that to the bit with Legolas and the elephant, but if you get it right then "I am no man" is the last line of the series.

See, Legolas and the elephant was fine the first time, because there's like...1 scene of that sort of stuff per movie (there's two in the Two towers, but not one in Fellowship, so it averages out okay) and Legolas is supposed to be a ninja type dude. The problem came in the Hobbit films when everyone started moving and fighting like that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Immortan posted:

The only bad part about the ROTK theatrical release was the absence of this guy:

Because he owned.

E; Now my av. :D

I always thought it was funny that he was played by Bruce Spence, who was also in the Matrix sequels and then Revenge of the Sith. Within a year or two, roles in three of the biggest movie series of the 00s.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Return had the most pointless bullshit in the extended version. I don't give a poo poo about the scouring of the Shire. I do give a poo poo about how Saruman died, I guess.

Really, the stupid ghost poo poo should've been cut entirely and replaced with the mouth of Sauron and Saruman death scenes. And then the ending could've just been "we're going home Frodo" and a voice over saying "and everything was fine" instead of what felt like 10 epilogues in a row.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chairman Capone posted:

I always thought it was funny that he was played by Bruce Spence, who was also in the Matrix sequels and then Revenge of the Sith. Within a year or two, roles in three of the biggest movie series of the 00s.

Yeah, I missed him in Fury Road but that fucker's probably got Andy Serkis money.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

He's one of Mr. Book's henchmen in Dark City also though I think he only has one or two lines.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

"This movie drags on and is boring, surely the solution to that is to pad it out into more movies, like those Hobbit movies I hate so much."

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

zVxTeflon posted:

Yeah I too wish that slog of poo poo that felt like it never ended would have been 6 combined hours over 2 movies.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Lord of the Rings series is exactly as long as it should be.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Fellowship extended is a very good movie and I actually find it to be a remarkable piece of ~*film history*~ on its own. And I specifically mean that green DVD box set.

Like literally I think that specific box set drastically changed my own and a lot of other people's perceptions about entertainment and the entire film industry. It owned way more than it had any responsibility to own.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
I remember when these movies came out and how insufferable movie nerds acted about them. too much bitterness from that era for me to ever praise these films

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

starry skies above posted:

I remember when these movies came out and how insufferable movie nerds acted about them. too much bitterness from that era for me to ever praise these films

They're p good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The 4 hour cut of ROTK is about as close as we've come to the perfect fantasy movie. So no gently caress off.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

The 4 hour cut of ROTK is about as close as we've come to the perfect fantasy movie. So no gently caress off.

Then again the original cut of Fellowship of the Ring is the perfect fantasy movie.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Alhazred posted:

Then again the original cut of Fellowship of the Ring is the perfect fantasy movie.

Exactly. It's amazing how loving tight that movie is compared to the other 5,

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Extended cut Fellowship is also really good. I have a hard time deciding which is better.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Extended cut Fellowship is also really good. I have a hard time deciding which is better.

The extended opening scene with Bilbo narrating the shire is so good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

The extended opening scene with Bilbo narrating the shire is so good.

I think that opening a movie with two different narrations is pushing it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Alhazred posted:

I think that opening a movie with two different narrations is pushing it.

They could have an entire movie dedicated to the Shire, and I would've gobbled it up. Everything's so cozy!

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I wish there had been 500 more hours of LOTR. The movies are loving awesome, everything about them rules. They were obviously made by people who really, REALLY cared that they got it right and had serious dedication to the source material. That dedication is what makes the ridiculous fanfiction of the Hobbit movies so confusing and infuriating.

LOTR: "Let's make sure Aragorn is wearing the Ring of Barahir. We'll never even mention it and no one but the most hardcore of nerds even know what the gently caress it is but it's important to his legacy and past so let's make sure we put it in there."

Hobbit: "How about if we just make up an elf character and put her in a weird third-wheel love triangle with Legolas and a dwarf? In fact, let's just make a up a bunch of new characters and add in lots and lots of poo poo that didn't happen in the story. Also let's make Smaug trip over a loving rope."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I love when people call movies they don't like fanfiction. Especially when they then try to push their own fanfiction as canon.

• Locked thread