Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I finally got around to picking this up, plus a buy one get one deal on the Dr. Who and Ghostbusters packs. Probably the best Lego game to date, though I haven't picked up Lego Force Awakens yet.

Best way to get the old level packs they're not selling in stores anymore? Any particularly good sales?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

precision posted:

I finally got around to picking this up, plus a buy one get one deal on the Dr. Who and Ghostbusters packs. Probably the best Lego game to date, though I haven't picked up Lego Force Awakens yet.

Best way to get the old level packs they're not selling in stores anymore? Any particularly good sales?

Amazon frequently has the at reduced prices.

Also Lego TFA is pretty excellent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A friend of mine just hit a 5 Below and he found this

He said they had pretty much all the Chima and Ninjago stuff from the first few waves and few random others.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
If you're still looking to get the starter pack but haven't yet and can wait until September (and are planning to play on PS4) then you're in luck because now it'll come with a free Supergirl.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They better offer her in a stand alone drat it!.

Anybody got a lock on the best place to stud farm? They gimped the Arkham Asylum location in the last update.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Rhyno posted:

They better offer her in a stand alone drat it!.

Anybody got a lock on the best place to stud farm? They gimped the Arkham Asylum location in the last update.

I would hope so, the wording with when she stops being an exclusive is confusing. The article talks about how in March she'll be available to play as via Hire-a-Hero, but doesn't state whether or not the physical figure/the polybag will be available outside of the PS4 starter set at that time.

This kinda sucks for anyone who took advantage of the "Starter Packs are only 40/50 dollars" sales Lego themselves were hyping people up for in the last few weeks. At least assuming this new starter pack also drops in price quickly enough/is counted as a regular starter pack in any sales this fall.

Edit: I don't know if it necessarily is a fast money maker but I like getting rewarded for getting good at Klax and Marble Madness. Especially since you only need to get to the third or fourth stage on the latter to get a gold medal and a bunch of studs.

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 16, 2016

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Thanks to the half off sale at best buy and GCU rewards I picked up the starter pack, most of the level packs and team packs and a few individual figures. Do most people get these on sale? I haven't started the game yet but I don't think I'd want to pay more than five bucks for a fun pack.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Cloks posted:

Thanks to the half off sale at best buy and GCU rewards I picked up the starter pack, most of the level packs and team packs and a few individual figures. Do most people get these on sale? I haven't started the game yet but I don't think I'd want to pay more than five bucks for a fun pack.

Yeah I usually wait for sales roughly in the 50% off range. BOGO is good too. They happen often enough and none of the toys are so hard to find that waiting is an issue, like it used to be with Amiibo stuff

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't pay full price for a single piece of this game.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I was wondering how they were going to handle another playable Batman, like what exactly that would entail.

Here's our Lego Batman Movie Batman figure.

Was kind of hoping it'd be a Batman that had a wide variety of outfits available in-game which doesn't seem to be the case but the suit they chose is an interesting pick none the less.

Wonder if the Robin changes appearance based on which of the three DC worlds he's in like Cyborg will be.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I hope that's not all for wave 8. We still have at least 8 more packs coming out. Either way, the Knight Rider pack and Excalibur Batman pack are awesome.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

They haven't shown the Powerpuff Girls or Beetlejuice yet, among other stuff, so there's plenty more to come

Picked up the last bits of Series 1 that I wanted today, ready for those new ones to hit and find out if that 4 player mode is worth bothering with

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Finally got confirmation that specific gadget/vehicle switches like TARDIS stops are in Year 2 areas via a stream.

At least Adventure Time is confirmed to have one. Man what Cartoon Network owned do you think we'll get to see?

There's probably a good chance the Time Machine vehicles will get some usage in Year 2 as well I'd reckon. Maybe with the Sonic level perhaps?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am getting pretty hype for the Adventure Time packs.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Rhyno posted:

I am getting pretty hype for the Adventure Time packs.

Here's about ten minutes of the Adventure Time level with Sonic tagging along.

Around 4:17 LSP almost triggers a bad memory for Sonic.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

A thing I didn't pick up on until today is that the battle arenas are per-pack unlocks. As in the Finn pack will unlock one Adventure Time battle arena, the Jake and LSP pack will unlock a different Adventure Time battle arena, and the Marceline pack will unlock a third one when that releases.

So while they all access the same Adventure Time world they also all hold unique content of their own, and that will be true for all the year 2 sets

I thought the battle arenas were per-IP and was surprised to be wrong

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh man, all of Finn's swords!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

They really stepped it up with the year 2 characters, some of them have a ton of weapons/suits/whatever like Finn's swords that all do unique things, some of them have an entire set of characters in a single figure that all have unique voicework and abilities (Abby is the whole new Ghostbusters team, BA Baracus is the entire A-Team, etc), they're adding a lot more value and variety without making any of these sets cost more than they did in year 1

It's a shame this stuff isn't backported to some existing characters but it's looking really good for the game as a whole

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just want more Doctor who minifigs :saddowns:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Are the sets going to be backwards compatible? I picked up a few sets but not the game itself (read it ran poorly on Ps3) but if I get the new version can I use Chell and Doc Brown and whatnot?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah every add on is universal.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

There is no new version of the game, all the sets will work in it, both new and old

You'll need to download some updates though

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Target is doing BOGO on all fun packs this week so there's an excuse to buy a bunch that you don't already own.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Update's out on Xbox One at least, don't know about other platforms. Roughly 13 gig download, so, you might need to clear some space.

it says there's a download manager now that lets you download/delete data for individual packs, so you can make sure you only download stuff for things you've actually got, but I couldn't figure out how to make it work. maybe it's not properly enabled yet or something.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

From people who already downloaded the update, the credits say that we will get waves 6-10. I know 9 was the highest reported before. Don't know if that's counting 7.5 or maybe a mystery wave or something. There are still those mysterious "connectables" from that leak list last year.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Kelp Plankton posted:

They really stepped it up with the year 2 characters, some of them have a ton of weapons/suits/whatever like Finn's swords that all do unique things, some of them have an entire set of characters in a single figure that all have unique voicework and abilities (Abby is the whole new Ghostbusters team, BA Baracus is the entire A-Team, etc), they're adding a lot more value and variety without making any of these sets cost more than they did in year 1

It's a shame this stuff isn't backported to some existing characters but it's looking really good for the game as a whole

Yeah, just look at the abilities for Jake alone. They even gave him the ability to ue those gyro-switches that you originally had to shell out for the Jurassic World Team Pack for.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

That's so fitting. Just give Jake everything.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I knew Jake could do some weird stuff but man that's a crazy list. I'm glad he's worth getting even if the minifig looks a little weird.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Neither Wal-Mart of Meijer is putting the new wave out at midnight this time around so I guess I'll just grab them tomorrow night after work.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

So I did the big update last night, and bought the sets this morning and I thought I'd be all set to go as soon as I got home. Nope. Be prepared to download additional content for each individual pack you get. And the content manager that was added in the latest patch doesn't work right now, so the only way to do the download is if you try to access an adventure world and it will ask if you wish to download it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Liar Lyre posted:

So I did the big update last night, and bought the sets this morning and I thought I'd be all set to go as soon as I got home. Nope. Be prepared to download additional content for each individual pack you get. And the content manager that was added in the latest patch doesn't work right now, so the only way to do the download is if you try to access an adventure world and it will ask if you wish to download it.

I was wondering what was going on with that. So there's no way to access the new level packs or battlegrounds yet? Just the adventure worlds?

Hopefully they make the download manager actually work sometime today.

I've got to say I really like the new sets though. b.mo is great and has some really funny lines despite just being an object, oddly enough

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Can anyone else check their jukebox to see if three Midway music tracks just vanished for some reason, leaving only one? Everything else about the new update worked for me on the 360 version* and that was the only odd thing I noticed. When I went to check to see if the level itself was fine, the game just straight up froze on me. I can still play as Gamer Kid and everything in his adventure world is fine so I don't think there's anything wrong with the Midway pack data itself. I dunno.

*Because it's a last-gen system I also noticed there's an extra portal in the main menu hub just for going to the Shard. I'm not talking about that new computer next to the gateway they stuck an extra portal where the jump pad should be instead which initiates a mini load just to get to the new hub.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

DLC management thing seems to be working now on Xbox One, it's letting me download all the content now. Gonna take a little while but I assume the IP specific packs include the battleground levels since I didn't see a separate download for those.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just got this game and having a blast. Ordered a few of the various packs and am wondering if there is stuff I should avoid?

I mean, are there figures that are redundant? I keep finding areas that can only be unlocked with certain figures but most seem to have multiple options. Since I don't find Chima/Ninjago very interesting and those seem to have the most figures, can I get by with just 1 from each set?

Also, does every character have in game dialog? If I buy Krusty will he do things other than look like Krusty?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The only figure I'd outright avoid is Bart Simpson. He has no voicework whatsoever and doesn't do anything interesting or unique to make up for it, and his vehicle sucks. Krusty's voicework is pretty limited so he's iffy as well. Homer is pretty good though even if he's recycled audio from the show (and his level is fun)

Some of the Lord of the Rings characters have bland vehicles but they're still pretty fun to play as. Other than that everyone's pretty solid as long as you like whatever they're from.

In terms of Ninjago and Chima, you can absolutely get by with one of each. Most people reccomend the old master guy for Ninjago since he has some of the more rare abilities (staff-based stuff I think?) and the only real Chima pick is Cragger the aligator guy, since he's the only one that can use the Chi ability while underwater which is required for one puzzle if you want 100% completion.

I'm still salty over wasting money on Bart, I didn't know he had no voicework at the time. It sucks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kelp Plankton posted:

The only figure I'd outright avoid is Bart Simpson. He has no voicework whatsoever and doesn't do anything interesting or unique to make up for it, and his vehicle sucks. Krusty's voicework is pretty limited so he's iffy as well. Homer is pretty good though even if he's recycled audio from the show (and his level is fun)

Some of the Lord of the Rings characters have bland vehicles but they're still pretty fun to play as. Other than that everyone's pretty solid as long as you like whatever they're from.

In terms of Ninjago and Chima, you can absolutely get by with one of each. Most people reccomend the old master guy for Ninjago since he has some of the more rare abilities (staff-based stuff I think?) and the only real Chima pick is Cragger the aligator guy, since he's the only one that can use the Chi ability while underwater which is required for one puzzle if you want 100% completion.

I'm still salty over wasting money on Bart, I didn't know he had no voicework at the time. It sucks.

I ended up paying no more than $7.50 for each Fun Pack overall so I have no real remorse over buying any of them.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm waiting for wave two to be half off and then I'm immediately grabbing the story packs.

Might not even wait for Lego Batman.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

If you're looking for the minimum for 100%, here's your shopping list. This doesn't include Wave 6+ content, so some of these might no longer be required.

Level Pack: Back to the Future
Level Pack: Doctor Who
Level Pack: Ghostbusters
Level Pack: Midway Arcade
Level Pack: Portal 2
Level Pack: The Simpsons
Team Pack: Jurrasic Park
Team Pack: Scooby Doo
Fun Pack: Aquaman
Fun Pack: Cragger
Fun Pack: Cyberman
Fun Pack: Wicked Witch
Fun Pack: Unikitty
Fun Pack: Sensei Wu
Fun Pack: Slimer
Fun Pack: Emmet OR Fun Pack: Bane
Fun Pack: Wonder Woman

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Liar Lyre posted:

If you're looking for the minimum for 100%, here's your shopping list. This doesn't include Wave 6+ content, so some of these might no longer be required.

Level Pack: Back to the Future
Level Pack: Doctor Who
Level Pack: Ghostbusters
Level Pack: Midway Arcade
Level Pack: Portal 2
Level Pack: The Simpsons
Team Pack: Jurrasic Park
Team Pack: Scooby Doo
Fun Pack: Aquaman
Fun Pack: Cragger
Fun Pack: Cyberman
Fun Pack: Wicked Witch
Fun Pack: Unikitty
Fun Pack: Sensei Wu
Fun Pack: Slimer
Fun Pack: Emmet OR Fun Pack: Bane
Fun Pack: Wonder Woman

This is perfect! Thanks much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I think the Adventure Time team pack obsoletes Unikitty and Bane/Emmet since LSP has rainbow brick stuff and Jake can drill. Jake has a ton of abilities. Whatshis name from Mission Impossible also has a ton of abilities and might shrink the list but again I'm not sure who he'd knock out. Someone else will do the spreadsheet work to figure it out I'm sure.

• Locked thread