Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Didn't you say you'd start this game back up after the book came out, Nown?

The book came out...

:dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Rauri posted:

Didn't you say you'd start this game back up after the book came out, Nown?

The book came out...

:dance:

:agreed:

Been looking forward to picking :911: All American Girl :911: up again for ages~

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
The book came out? Like the full book, not just the WIP pre-release?

EFIT: I don't mean that to sound pedantic or petty. I'm just wondering if I missed a super important email from kickstarter!

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 22, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

The book came out? Like the full book, not just the WIP pre-release?

EFIT: I don't mean that to sound pedantic or petty. I'm just wondering if I missed a super important email from kickstarter!

Nah. But I'm pretty sure what they released is pretty much the final version, sans art and a bit of formatting.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Ahhh. Well in that case, prepare yourselves for the sequel/reboot, Coming Soon(TM)

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Hypeeeeee

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Updated my sheet!

The Beacon posted:

Hero Name: All American Girl
Look:

With a red, white and blue Domino Mask, also ignore the horse.

Abilities: Bow Revolver and trick arrows bullets, Swords

Moves
Suck it, Domitian
When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll + Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.

Won't Let You Down
When you help a teammate, you can spend 2 out of the team pool to add +2 to their roll.

Drives
Choose 4 drives to mark at the start of play. When you fulfill a marked drive, strike it out, and choose one: mark potential, clear a condition, take influence over someone involved. When your 4 marked drives are all struck out, choose and mark 4 new drives. When all drives are struck out, change playbooks, retire from the life, or become a paragon.

□ Lead the team successfully in battle
□ Kiss someone dangerous
□ Punch someone you probably shouldn't
□ Help a teammate when they most need you
□ Take down a threat all on your own
□ Outperform an adult hero
□ Pull off a ridiculous stunt
□ Save a teammate's life
□ Get drunk or high with a teammate
□ Drive a fantastical vehicle
□ Get a new costume
□ Get a new hero name
□ Earn the respect of a hero you admire
□ Make out with a teammate
□ Punch out a teammate
□ Break up with someone
□ Stop a fight with calm words
□ Tell someone your true feelings for them
□ Travel to an incredible place (or time)
□ Reject someone who tells you “you shouldn't be here”

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they're awesome and add 1 Team to the pool. If they tell you how you're awesome in return, add another Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift 1 Label up and 1 Label down, your choice.

Stats
Freak: -1
Danger: -1
Savior: +2
Superior: +1
Mundane: +2

Relationships
____________________ is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.
You've got to prove yourself to_____________________ before you feel like a real hero.

Influence
You are so excited to be here. Give influence over you to three of your teammates.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 17, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Nothing changed, but posting the original sheet, sans advances.

quote:

Name: Richard Ramos / Showstopper
Look: Male, Asian or South Asian, untrusting eyes, cheap costume, garish clothing
Abilities: Gadgetry and hacking, Tricks Illusions, GOD

Moves
Criminal Mind:
When you assess the situation, you can always ask one of the following questions, even on a miss:
- What here is useful or valuable to me?
- How could I best infuriate or provoke _______?
- What's the best way in/way past?

Are you watching closely?:
When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll +Superior.
On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment.
On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7-9, choose 2.
-You get an opportunity.
-You expose a weakness or flaw.
-You confuse them for some time.
-You avoid further entanglement.
On a miss, you're hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

Troublemaker:
When you help a teammate through destructive, criminal, or rule-breaking action, you can give them a +2 instead of a +1 when you spend a Team from the pool.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you're cool. If they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or spurn them immediately. Either way, add a team to the pool.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them influence over you, and ask them who they'd like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. Add a team to the pool no matter what.

Stats
Freak: +1
Danger: 0
Savior: -1
Superior: +2
Mundane: +1

Relationships
You keep trying to impress _________________ with your antics.
You and ________________ pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

Influence
You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates influence over you.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Click nameplates for music

Until a month ago, I was just a normal high school student. Not even normal - nerdy's more like it. Nerdy and busy, since I have got a LOT going on. Trying to get into Halcyon University's Super Science Program, taking care of my grades, Interning at Camelot Industries, raiding in my MMO with a few friends from school, and looking after my little brothers while mom's working all the time, I already had two people's worth of stuff to do. Or so I thought.

Ever since I've been little I've wanted to be a superscientist. While Halcyon University does have a Super Science program, it's really difficult to get into - it's basically the MIT of cutting edge science, and so I've spent like, an insane amount of time polishing my high school resume for it. Since my mom works at Camelot (one of the largest multinational companies in the world) she got me an internship there - real world experience like that's definitely going to help me differentiate myself from other applicants. I wasn't doing anything that complicated, mostly just cleaning up the lab and typing up result reports for the senior engineers and scientists here.

Turns out Camelot's not amazing at safety procedures, since I was doing my job late one night, updating the software on the research consoles, when there was a power-surge and the lab went haywire. The experiment Terminal had access to three projects - Overdrive, Null, and Neo. No safeties left on the Multifunction Ray Cannon either. Can you see where this is going? I basically got irradiated with experimental science rays, due to the right mixture of random power, corrupted code, and happy accidents in the lab. I've been looking into, doing my own research on it - basically, I'm very lucky I didn't end up dead right then and there.

Instead, I got Super Powers.

Speed, Agility, Strength - that was all from Project: Overdrive. Project: Null gave me perfect reflexes, while Project: Neo is responsible this new sixth-sense of mine. It's basically an Enhanced Fight or Flight instinct, from what I can tell - see threats coming almost in slow motion, plus I just know how best to react to it. Pretty neat, right! Pretty dangerous too - I mean, I was just some kid, and now I'm super-powered! Imagine what'll happen when a company like Camelot starts using it on people... do you think they're going to be noble about it? Super Powers aren't a toy, they're not something everyone deserves - even someone like me. I've got to look into what they're doing.

And well... ok, it's fun being a super hero. I stole a Prototype Stealth suit from one of the other labs at Camelot - I need to disguise who I am because I am so not letting anyone target my family (or risk my college career). So... I took it, and have taken to calling myself Red Fox when I'm all suited up and heroing out. I mean between the voice synthesizers in the mask, the form-disguising armor portions, plus the fake hair, it does a lot to conceal who I am. And Red Fox is an awesome name that it sounds like a badass hero would have, which I really really want to be, so...

I mean, I'm trying. I'm new to this! My middle bro Nick - giant pain in the rear end, he's thirteen and a smartass - managed to catch me climbing back into the house one night, so I guess that's not all that badass secret hero of me. I got him to promise to shut up about it, but he's totally blackmailing me into doing his chores for him now. Plus side, at least he thinks what the newspaper is writing about me is bullshit. 'Cuz, yeah... speaking of messing up, I pissed the Halcyonic Herald off somehow. They keep writing about how I'm a menace, and they've even taken to blaming me for things that I couldn't have done because I'm too drat busy to be as active as they're saying I am.

So yeah, my life's pretty complicated. I've got a lot of responsibilities, a lot of secrets, and a lot of people I need to protect. But sometimes... sometimes, I get to be a hero, and that makes everything worth it.

quote:

Hero Name: Red Fox
Secret Identity: Lauren Volpez
Mask: Janus
Look: Female, Hispanic, Nerdy Look, Armored Costume, Intimidating Helmet
Origin: Freak Laboratory Accident
Abilities: Your appearance is unchanged by your abilities, and you can keep your powers hidden. You have heightened physical abilities (Strength, Agility, Toughness), and choose two unique abilities (Danger Sense, Impossible Reflexes and Coordination). Red Fox also has a powersuit, but it's not really functional and she mostly just uses it as a disguise.

Labels:
Freak 0
Danger 0
Savior 0
Superior 0
Mundane 3

Moves
The Mask
You wear a mask and hide your real identity. Choose what Label you try to embody while wearing your mask: Danger.
Once per session, you can affirm either your hero or secret identity to switch your Mundane with your mask's Label.

Dangerous Web
When you reveal a trap you’ve left for someone using your powers, roll + your mask’s Label. On a hit, your opponent trips into it, and you get an opening or opportunity against them. On a 10+, take +1 forward to pursuing it. On a miss, the trap inadvertently leads to a dangerous escalation.

Mild-Mannered
When you try to use your civilian identity to deceive, trick, or slip past someone, roll + Mundane. On a hit they buy your facade. On a 7-9, choose one:
  • You're still under observation.
  • You leave something incriminating behind
  • You're forced to make a fool of yourself to sell it
Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they see you as the person wearing the mask or the person underneath. If the former, mark potential and clear a condition. If the latter, take Influence over them if you reveal yourself.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about who you really are. Give them Influence, and shift your Mundane up, and your mask's Label down.

Secret Identity
Your mundane life comes with a series of obligations. Choose a total of 3 obligations (Interns at Camelot Corp, Babysits Siblings, MMO Guild Rogue Class Lead)

When Time Passes
Roll + your Mundane to see how you're managing your obligations. On a 10+, things are going okay---you have an opportunity or advantage thanks to one of your obligations. On a 7-9, you've lapsed on one obligation, your choice. On a miss, you haven't given your normal life anywhere near the attention it deserves; the GM chooses two obligations that are going to bite you in the butt.

Relationships
_____________________ (but totally Viscosity) knew you from your civilian life first.
You refused to tell ___________________ (but totally All American Girl) your secret identity when they asked.

Influence
You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out. Give two of them influence over you.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 31, 2016

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
The Doomed has undergone some serious revisions. The Sleeper mentioned is the evil twin hypothesized about at the end of the original game, a human hybrid with a whole bunch of training and obedience conditioning.

He doesn't have a costume, but when he's "on the job" he has one of those comic book Domino Masks of Forgetting

quote:

Name: Michael Ward / Synapse
Look: Male, White, No Costume, Steely Eyes, Unassuming clothing
Abilities: Memory Manipulation, Telekinesis, Superhuman Strength/Speed

Doom:
You’re doomed. Your powers may be killing you are returning you to your home dimension [/b]
But one way or another, your future is grim. What brings your doom closer? Choose 2. Overexerting Myself and frightening loved ones
Doom Track: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Doomsigns:
These are abilities that come to you with your approaching doom. Once you have taken all five doomsigns above the line, you must take “Your doom arrives” the next time your doom track fills. Choose one doomsign you already hold at character creation.
+Bolstered: Mark your doom track to use an adult move one time.+
+Dark Visions: Mark your doom track to have a vision about the situation at hand. After the vision, ask the GM a question; they will answer it honestly.
+Infinite Powers: Mark your doom track to use an ability from any playbook, one time.
+Portal: Mark your doom track to appear in a scene with anyone you want.
+Burning Bright: Mark your doom track to ignore one of the GM’s stated requirements when you call upon the resources of your sanctuary.
----
+Your Doom Arrives. Confront it and Perish.

Nemesis: Sleeper
You have a nemesis, an epic and powerful enemy representing and embodying your doom. It’s going to take everything you have to take them down in the time you have left.
At the end of every session, answer the question: Did you make progress on defeating your nemesis? If the answer is yes, mark potential. If the answer is no, mark your doom track.

Sanctuary:

You have a place where you can rest, recover, and reflect upon your powers.
Choose 3 Features. (Locks and Traps, A Meditation Space, A Power Battery)
Choose 2 Downsides.(Tied Intricately to Doom, Draws Dangerous Attention)
When you call upon the deeper nature of your powers in your sanctuary, you can solve impossible problems. Say what you want to do. The GM will give you one to four conditions you must fulfill to complete your solution:
+First you must X, You'll Need Help from Y, You and Your Team will risk danger from Z, The best you can do is a lesser version - unreliable and limited, Mark a Doom Track Box, You'll Have to Obtain X

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, give them Influence over you and spend 1 Team from the pool to clear one box on your Doom track.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you and ask if they think there's hope for you.
If they say yes, mark potential or clear one box on your Doom track.
If they say no, mark a condition.

Stats
Danger: +1
Savior: +2
Superior: -1
Mundane: +0

Relationships
You told _______________ all about your doom and the danger you're in.
You'd love to kiss ________________ before your doom comes.

Influence
These people matter for what you need to do. Give Influence to two of your teammates.

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 23, 2016

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Penumbra

I've always had an affinity for shadows you know. Ever since I was a kid while the other kids would run and play in the sun I'd much rather sit and watch the shadows the way they moved the way they stretched and bent as the light moved around them. It wasn't much of a shock to me when I first manifested my control over the shadows I remember my delight at being able to make my shadow move independently of the light and as I got better making it able to pick things up for me or stretch it into strange shapes. I don't think my parents were too thrilled about it. I mean they tried their best but well I was never the easiest kid. Always kind of a loner always looking at things no one else seemed to find interesting. I think my powers manifesting was the final straw for them. I think they might have handled it better I might have handled it better if i'd had some more conventional power, flight, super strength, heck even super roller blading. But manipulating shadows is downright creepy for most people. And that's when the bullying started. I was evil I was bad I was destined to be a menace to society. For a while I was tempted to give in to show them how bad I could be.

I remember working up the courage to commit my first "crime" There was a liquor store down-town. I could use shadows to mask my face and clean out the cash register simple huh? if the clerk tried to resist his own shadow could restrain him. A victimless crime. I remember loitering outside, working up the courage to go in there and show them how bad I could be when the alarm started ringing and I watched in utter shock as two thugs with sawn off shotguns came charging out hefting a bag of money. I didn't even think I just reacted. I tackled one of them, and when the other tried to shoot me he found his own shadow blocking him than wrestling him to the ground. Didn't take long for one of the more established heroes to arrive and see what was going on. He praised me called me a true hero. And you know what it felt good. But I couldn't tell him the truth he wouldn't have understood that if those crooks had come running out 10 minutes later my life might have a very different story...

But I'm rambling what were your questions again?

quote:

When did you first learn of your doom?

I don't like to talk about it, the voices certainly don't like me talking about it. But if you insist. It started gradually at first I wasn't sleeping well, troubling dreams about things in the shadows coming to get me. I put it down to nightmares at first. Then I noticed I was forgetting things, the name of my first pet dog, the type of stuffed animal I used to cuddle as a kid... but it got worse a few months ago I started hearing voices. Whispers in the shadows, they tell me things you know. Horrible nasty things I really don't want to know and one of them whispered the truth to me. It's only a matter of time until the shadows claim me completely till I'm nothing but a walking husk of shadow-stuff. A conduit for some ancient evil. A monster. I believed them the voices never lie. I don't think they can. And I guess it's karma for the bad things I've thought about doing all the bad things I could have done.

quote:

Where did you get your sanctuary?
I went looking for it. See I'm not the only ahem "special" person with a strong connection to the shadows, their have been others previously and some of them left journals, newspaper articles. I read every last one of them and piecing them together with what the voices told me. I learned of it. The Realm of Shadows. I'm sure if you asked a scientist he'd tell you it's a parasite dimension a little something left over from the creation of the multi-verse however many trillion years ago. But for me it was more than that it was my hope for salvation. So I went looking for it in the deepest darkest shadows. I moved from darkness to darkness. Till eventually I found it in the deepest shadows. The realm itself. Surely if anywhere held the solution to my decline it was there. But no the shadow library was woefully incomplete, there were lots of theories but little hard evidence. After a while there I began to get the feeling I was being watched that the shadows were closing in on me.

That's when he struck. The Black Templar Out of the shadows he came, armoured like some ancient knight with a shadow where his eye-slits should have showed eyes. We battled for what felt like hours although it may have only been minutes, time can work differently there. It was with dawning horror that I realised what I faced. My future. It was not a man I faced but a creature, a demon of shadowstuff inhabiting the shell of what had once been a man. I fought my own fate. Eventually I forced him away whatever his savagery and mastery of a blade were they were no match for my mastery of the shadows and eventually he turned and ran leaving me victorious and with control of my hollow prize.

quote:

Why do you oppose your nemesis?

Because I owe a duty to him. The shadow world is a playground to me. I use it everyday and I suppose it's inevitable that one day I'll go too far, that one day I won't reach for the shadows but it will reach out and touch me. And I will become a monster... I wouldn't want to live with that, and I bet the man who became that beast wouldn't either, I owe it to him to put him down. To do what has to be done.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, is crucial to defeating your nemesis?

I wish I knew, I know there are other heroes who've tried to fight him and lost. But I suppose there's only one in particular I can think of who might be able to help. My sort of ying yang opposite Corona. Yes that Corona, the reality tv star the one who plays the light like a guitarist plays his guitar. She can do all sorts of tricks with it and can manipulate and bend it and make it do all sorts of things. And what better than the light to dispel the darkness. Of course she won't give me the time of day. I tried contacting her through some hero acquaintances but she wouldn't have anything to do with me. Said it would spoil her image. But I think she might be the only way to burn the shadow out of someone.

quote:

Why does the team matter to you?

Do you want the offical reason or the real reason? The offical reason. They're fighting the good fight, as best they can, making a stand against the darkness. I want to help with that i'd feel guilty if I didn't do what I can to help. After all in the words of that great philosopher "with power comes responsibility." or something like that. I was never any good at history.

The real reason. I need to be around the strongest toughest people I can find so that when I do finally go bad they can put me down with the minimum of collateral damage and pain. I'm not sure I can explain that to them at all though "hi nice to meet you all, I may need you to kill me sooner or later." Yeah that would go down well....

quote:

Name: Penumbra
Secret Identity: Luke Masters
Look: Male, White, haunted eyes, unassuming clothing, Adaptive Costume
Abilities: Telekinesis, Psychic Shadow Constructs

Doom:

You’re doomed. Your powers may be killing you. But one way or another, your future is grim. What brings your doom
closer? Choose two:
  • showing mercy,
  • talking about it openly

Doomsigns:

These are abilities that come to you with your approaching doom. Once you have taken all five doomsigns above the line, you must take “Your doom arrives” the next time your doom track fills. Choose one doomsign you already hold at character creation.
  • Portal: Mark your doom track to appear in a scene with anyone you want.

Nemesis: Templar

You have a nemesis, an epic and powerful enemy representing and embodying your doom. It’s going to take everything you have to take them down in the time you have left.
At the end of every session, answer the question: Did you make progress on defeating your nemesis? If the answer is yes, mark potential. If the answer is no, mark your doom track.

Sanctuary: The Realm of Shadows

You have a place where you can rest, recover, and reflect upon your powers. Choose and underline
three features of your sanctuary:
  • a library of valuable tomes
  • a teleportal
  • a meditation space

Choose and underline two downsides of your sanctuary:
  • Easily damaged or Tampered with
  • tied intricately to your doom

Team Moves:

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, give them Influence over you and spend 1 Team from the pool to clear one box on your Doom track.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you and ask if they think there's hope for you:
If they say yes, mark potential or clear one box on your Doom track.
If they say no, mark a condition.

Stats:

Freak: +2
Danger: +1
Savior: +1
Superior: -1
Mundane: +0

Relationships

You told _______________ all about your doom and the danger you're in.

You'd love to kiss ________________ before your doom comes.

Influence

These people matter for what you need to do. Give Influence to two of your teammates.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 30, 2016

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I really missed this game! Swapped one of my old skills out from last time.

quote:

Name: Viscosity / Alexis Thompson
Look: Female, White, Alien Flesh, Strange Costume, Human Eyes
Mask: The Transformed
Abilities: Transmuting Flesh, Inhuman Might

Stats:
Freak +3, Danger +1, Savior +1
Superior -1, Mundane -1

Moves:
Not Human Enough: When you directly engage a threat in a terrifying fashion, mark a condition to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Wish I Could Be: When you comfort or support someone, if you tell then what you most envy about them, you can roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

Be the Monster: When you frighten, intimidate, or cow others with your monstrous form, roll + Freak. On a hit, they are thrown off and make themselves vulnerable to you, or they flee. On a 10+, choose 1. On a 7-9, choose 2.

- You frighten others you had not intended to scare.
- You hurt someone or break something you shouldn't have.
- You feel like more of a monster afterward; mark a condition (GM's choice).

On a miss, they react with violence, hatred, and paranoia, and you suffer the brunt of it.

Relationships:
________comforted you when you were at your lowest.
________ knew you before you changed.

Influence: You try not to care what other people think, even if you can't shut everyone out. Give Influence to one teammate.

Moment of Truth:
It's so easy to forget that you're not your body, and you're not the voice in your head -- you're both. Be the monster, and save them anyway. Smash down walls and speak softly. Because when you embrace it, you can do anything. Of course putting on a display like this is sure to rile up those who see only the monster when they look at you...

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Princess Terrwyn of Sharalas, the Outsider

What do you mean, why do I expect to be treated like a princess?

... That's because I am one, you dimwit! I am Princess Terrwyn of Sharalas, and I expect to be treated with due respect. What do you mean Sharalas doesn't exist? Of course it does! Just not in this realm in particular. Not that I would expect a buffoon like you to understand such a thing.

... What is it now? How I got here, then? Well, I don't know! Ask those researchers of yours! ... Scientists? Whatever. They kidnapped me and brought me here with some sort of portal! Of course, I escaped my vile captor. Dionaea saw to that. Who's Dionaea? My dragon. I summoned her here and set the entire prison ablaze!

... What do you mean, it's called a laboratory and nobody actually wanted to hold me captive? Bogus! And why I'm still here? Well... This world is actually pretty nice. So many things to see, so many interesting people. It's a lot better than being cooped up in a castle all day! I mean, sure, dad wants me to go back home, but I think I'll stay for now. I want to learn more about this world.

Plus, I already got contacted by this team of noble warriors and asked for my assistance! Finally, someone sees my skill as mage. Plus, it'll be nice to have some fri- ... equals. You. Heard. Nothing.

quote:

Mask: Outsider
Look: Human
Costume: fantastical clothing
Abilities: Pyromancy, Stunning Beauty

Labels:

Danger: -1
Savior: 0
Superior: +3
Mundane: 0

Moves
Belong in two worlds: You have the resources that come with your station. Whenever you contact your people, roll + Superior. On a 10+,hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but your people make an uncomfortable demand of you. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- receive a useful piece of alien technology that will allow you to use any ability from another playbook once (choose the ability when you spend the hold)
- consult your people’s knowledge to ask the GM a question about the current situation
- clear a condition through the comfort of contact with your home

Outdated Customs(Alien Ways):
Whenever you openly disregard or undermine an important Earth custom in favor of one of your own people’s customs, shift Superior up and any other Label down.

Pet Dragon (Kirby-Craft):
You have a mount, something from your home. Detail its look, and choose two strengths and two weaknesses. When you are riding your dragon, you can use it to unleash your powers, directly engage a threat, or defend using Superior.

Strengths:
regenerating, telepathic

Weaknesses:
bizarre fuel source (lots and lots of meat) , easily detectable

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it's meaningful.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark Potential if you do.

Moment of Truth
You embrace your home, and call them for aid. They will answer your call, in force, arriving exactly when you need them to turn the tide. You will lead them into battle. Of course, when all is
said and done...they’d probably like to take you home with them. You did, after all, just prove yourself worthy.

When our team first came together…
We didn't trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Relationships

You've been learning about Earth by spending time with _____________.
You have a crush on ________________ but you keep it under wraps.

Influence
Choose your demeanor: haughty or cheerful.
If you're haughty, then you think you're better than them. Give no one influence.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 31, 2016

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
To doubly confirm it - this game is now open recruitment. It'll be open for like a week. Probably not going to make a post in the Recruitment Megathread since there's been a ton of interest from Swampthings alone. Have fun making/remaking characters (no advances)!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Scavenger, the Beacon
(Real Name: Mahavira Sharma)

Okay, so first off: I didn't choose this name. It's what some reporter for the Haylcon City Daily gave me. Not a great start to a superhero career, but names aren't permanent right? Admiteddly I don't look particularly great either - I put together my outfit out of what I could find, used dye to get the right colors, and then when it went into the wash the first time either the dye or the soap or who knows what messed it all up so now it kind of looks like loud garbage. But I assume that's also fixable. Really, the biggest issue is being a hero without superpowers. I'm not completely helpless - I know how to fight (had kind of a martial arts phase when I was younger) and I'm pretty athletic. Still: in this city full of people with crazy awesome powers, I kind of stand out. I know that jerk Fire Leopard thinks I shouldn't be "running around, getting yourself in danger." He's the hero that patrols near where I live, so I thought he was great until I met him. Whatever, he can deal with it if I want to be out there too.

Anyway, the reason I'm doing all this is because Haylcon City needs heroes. And I'm not just going to sit around and do nothing while some ridiculous villans go around terrorizing everyone and everything I care about. Like I said, I made my own costume. It's not great but it'll do as a way to keep my identity a secret. I first went out a few months ago, mostly as practice. I've gotten the hang of things now. Even on a team, and they don't care that I don't have any fancy gadgets or out there powers.

And honestly? I'd be lying if I didn't say despite all the danger and judgement and pain - being a superhero is cool as hell.

quote:

Man
South Asian
Average face
Casual clothing
Gaudy costume

Abilities:

If you have superpowers, they’re pretty minor or not noticeable. If you have skills, you carry the necessary equipment. Choose two.

Martial arts
Acrobatics

Labels:

Freak -1
Danger -1
Savior +2
Superior +1
Mundane +2

Moves

Straight. Up. Creepin’.: When you scope out a person or place, roll + Mundane. On a 10+, ask two. On a 7-9, ask one.
- what’s my best way in/out?
- what happened here recently?
- what here is worth grabbing?
- who or what here is not what they seem?
- whose place is this?
On a miss, you find yourself in over your head. The GM will tell you why this is a bad spot.

No powers and not nearly enough training: You’re always picking up new gear to keep yourself in the game. Whenever you pick up a new piece of gear, you can write it in as a new ability if this line is empty.

The first time you use each piece of gear to directly engage a threat, unleash your powers, or defend someone, you can roll + Mundane instead of the normal Label.

Drives

Get a new costume
Get a new hero name
Stop a fight with calm words
Reject someone who tells you “you shouldn’t be here”

Moment of Truth
This is the moment when you show them exactly why you belong here. You do any one thing, take out any one enemy, no matter how insane, no matter how ridiculous, because that’s you. Their jaws are gonna drop when you’re done. Of course, pulling off a stunt like this tends to bring unwanted attention and a dangerous reputation...

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they’re awesome and add a Team to the pool. If they tell you how you’re awesome in return, add another Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 24, 2016

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Hello! I'm Quixzot, of Danae! I'm here to be the new Emissary to Earth, bringing love and justice to your people! Oh, what's a Danae? It's where I used to live- my planet, far off in another galaxy. See, it was once a verdant, green planet! Still is actually, but the species that used to live there no longer exists! Well, the sentient species, the rest of the animals are still puttering around. See, well. They built us, right? They built the first generation of my people, 'robots', as you would call us. Over time, we upgraded ourselves, learned, existed in harmony with them!

And then the Plague hit. Uh. ... IT kind of killed all of them. As far as I'm aware, there's none of our Forebears left alive. But we continued to exist- and started up the old factories, figured out new designs, created more and more or our people. And so we prospered! We took care of the environment of our planet, but something rang hollow... We needed someone else. Well, not needed, but I suppose we felt lonely, among the stars.

So we created ships and looked into space, for signals...

And then one day, coincidentally enough , a ship flew into our solar system. Our scientists recovered it- unmanned, but with a golden record upon it. "This is a present from a small, distant world, a token of our sounds, our science, our images, our music, our thoughts and our feelings. We are attempting to survive our time so we may live into yours."
We studied it- and found where it had come from. We had located the planet earth, enjoyed their arts and wonders-
And we wanted to talk!
So they sent me- why me? Still not quite sure, but I suppose they intended me to subtly integrate at first, given my enhanced ability to obsfucate and adjust my form given the correct amount of mass. And I tried that for a while.

It was /boooring./
Even with the human's technology and people to talk to and learn from, my cover wasn't going to last super long, even after I'd found a sympathetic family with the help of the government, explaining myself, and a lot of being locked in a metal facility for a while. So what was I supposed to do? I saw costumed people- flying, defeating horrors and villains- well. If I needed to make my people look good, to make people want to see the stars-
Who /cares/ about cover? Let's just be loud, bright, strong! Let's make them want to see, want to know us! And what better way than to help the world in front of everyone? To be a STAR! Sure, I don't know a lot about humans and what they like, but I'm sure I'll find it. I'll find the way to make them love us all! And I'll make their world a better place, in the process.

Anyways, my people weren't super happy about this, but I'd made my decision and I have operational authority on how to go about this- whoops if you didn't want a Cool Superhero you picked the wrong model, people! I think it's been working okay? I was a solo act for a while, but then some nice people up at the League set me up with our little team here- right as they formed! IT was pretty cool, we were pretty rad. I think ,anyways? It kinda sucked at first but that's a story for later- cause like, wow. It's suuuper fun. Plus, they teach me about all kinds of fun human things!
Like food- food is delicious, once I correctly figured out how to simulate the human sense of taste.
Oh, oh, and their outfits! They have this thing called a dress that's absolutely /lovely./

Anyways, I'm looking forward to it! We're great, we're gonna be great, forever. They're all so nice to me! Well, sometimes. Now that we know each other, anyways... I think. Uh. I don't really know human customs, but I /assume/ they're being nice to me?

Oh,you still want to know why we didn't trust each other when we met?

Well, uh, I was supposed to show up as a surprise, right? Allying with them on their first mission, since it was sort of a last minute thing.
Um.
They were fighting robots.
I'm a robot.
I may have gotten shot at a few times before we got the message across.
As for why the rest of them didn't trust each other? Well, they were all new to each other, and that one girl wouldn't take off her weird power armor and show who she was, everyone thought the girl with the guns was just getting in the way, that Showstopper guy's really abrasive when you first get to know him, Synapse came from an alien invasion and mysteriously appeared one day, which is a bit odd. and Winddancer was, uh, apparently the only one of us that knew an actual hero before the league sort of shoved all of us together! As a human would say, it was 'a clusterfuck!'

But, it turns out that slaying the legions of evil companies and gangs is a real way to bring people together. Everyone must have saved everyone else's lives at least once, Showstopper managed to crash some of the robot's internal programming, Red Fox managed to take out several of them, All American Girl is pretty good for only having had normal guns at the time, turns out Synapse's telekinesis is a pretty good way to make robo-legs cease to be, my array of weaponry was pretty good for just blowing them the heck up, and Winddancer kept us coordinated! And then at the end when that big one showed up, we managed the /super combination: Home Run Special!/ ... Everyone looked at me weird when I said the name, but I've seen some of those foreign superhero shows, people always call out their best attacks! It improves morale! Anyways, between Red Fox's superstrength, my stretchy arms, that jetpack Showstopper managed to scrounge up, and Winddancer's, uh, wind and Synapse's telekinesis, we chucked America there straight at the thing's head- right into the big purple eye! It went doooown.

It was super cool, and everyone was laughing about it later. Until we found out about the busted reactor, anyways.
It's okay! I'm /pretty sure/ none of my teammates have cancer now.
I hope.

quote:

Name: Quixzot, Quix for short.
Look: Genderfliud/Androgynous, Neon Body, My Station's Costume
Mask: Outsider
Abilities: Radical Shapeshifting, Alien Weaponry

Stats (Nown Approved)
Freak +2
Danger-1
Savior 0
Superior +3
Mundane -1

Moves:

Belong in Two Worlds: You have the resources that come with your station. Whenever you contact your people, roll + Superior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but your people make an uncomfortable demand of you.
Spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- receive a useful piece of alien technology that will allow you to use any ability from another playbook once (choose the ability when you spend the hold)
- consult your people’s knowledge to ask the GM a question about the current situation
- clear a condition through the comfort of contact with your home.

Alien tech: When you alter a human device with your alien technology, roll + Freak. On a hit, you create a device that can do something impossible once and then fizzle. When you roll a 10+, choose one:
- it works exceptionally well
- you get an additional use out of it
On a miss, the device works, but it has a completely unintended side effect that the GM will reveal when you use it.

Kirby-craft: You have a vehicle, something from your home. Detail its look, and choose two
strengths and two weaknesses. When you are flying your ship, you can use it to unleash your
powers, directly engage a threat, or defend using Superior.

Fast, Maneuverable. biggest guns. Hard to fix. So detectable.

Team MovesWhen you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do.

Influence: You all get it

GUESS I'M PLAYING THE HOTTEST ROBOT ON THE PLANET AGAIN

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I'll see what I can come up with!

- - -

Sammi Cubrick - The NOVA

Sammi Cubrick dived behind the dumpster, crawling hurriedly until she could get inside the air vent. Her heart pounded so loudly that Sammi though it might try and burrow out of her chest. She could hear something moving around out there. They called it The Beast. A powerful super villen who lost his mind to a raging hulking dinosaur like werewolf transformation. Right now, it was hunting her. She had struck it with her hammer. She'd been hoping it would have more of an effect. The thought was interrupted when the dumpster and most of the wall was ripped away. Sudden light blinded her, before it was replaced with a deep threatening shadow.

"U-Ummm... h-hi...?" Sammi murmured, her previously perfect hiding spot torn open by the hulking man-think in front of her. It roared in reply and Sammi squeaked and scampered for cover again. It came barrelling after her. Swinging its arms left and right trying to crush her. She couldn't help but wonder how she kept finding herself in these situations. Running for her life while something made it's best attempt to murder or kidnap her. She glanced back at the couple who were cowering themselves. The same couple she'd jumped into this fight to save.

Ah right, that was why.

She ran out of alleyway to flee into, and froze as it's scaly claws wrapped around her midsection. She screamed as it picked her up, holding her to it's face. It's breath smelt of rotting meat, it made her gag. Although that might just be the fact the air was being crushed out of her. Sammi pushed and punched at the hands, but they were holding her too tightly. She looked up into it's maw as it got ready to spit. Oh good, it had acid spit. A sudden rush of panic overcame her, she kicked helplessly at it's bulk, no! It was too strong!

Then she remembered that she could fly.

Sammi fired her jump jets. The boosters folding out of her back easily and firing with enough force to free her. Flying straight up and out of the monsters grasping hands. Flecks of spit hit the wall behind her, the slow gentle hiss of acid eating into the brickwork. She pirouetted in the air and came straight back down, swinging her heavy hammer over her head and onto the creature. Plowing it into the concrete with the force of the blow. The ground cracked and shattered, leaving a smoking crater from the kinetic discharge.

She stepped back, panting. The creature was out cold. At last! Sammi breathed a sigh of relief. She looked to the couple, and motioned for them to run for it. They did. Maybe things were looking up.

On queue, the wall began to crack and split. Falling away from the rest of the building. Sammi's eyes went wide and she covered her mouth in shock as more of the building fell away. Her hammer blow had brought the building down. Too powerful a blast. Thankfully no one was inside. But it was not a pretty sight. The floor was starting to bow, and the plumbing started leaking water everywhere.

"O-Oh no...! I-I'm g-getting in s-s-so much t-trouble over t-this...!

Sammi Cubrick is a artificial being from another world. Well... kind of. She is originally a normal human resident of earth. Her early life wasn't the happiest. Put up for adoption into a rather strict orphanage, Sammi quickly learned disappointment and loneliness, after she was passed over by couple after couple. She stopped being quite so energetic and became quieter and shyer. Traits which have persisted into her later life. She was also prone to getting into trouble, and the people who ran the orphanage were... not kind in their punishments. Eventually as she got older, Sammi was selected by a prospective single parent. A man by the name of Gently Benevolent. He seemed a kind hearted and charming man. With something of an eccentric laugh. It was not until they got to his home and he quickly locked her in his basement that Sammi realised something was horribly horribly wrong. He relieved himself as a Villan by the name of Wickery, and that he was going to drain her of her power to further his own plans. Sammi had no idea what he was talking about, what powers? All that mattered was that she get away from this man and his awful plans. So Sammi did something she never had done before. She disobeyed someone and broke out. Unfortunately incurring the wrath of Ragz, one of Wickeries's servants. But that is a story for another time.

After some events, she found herself empowered with abilities she now struggles to control. Her form is cybernetic and bio-technical, comprised of some strange symbiotic alien tech that's replaced her whole body. It's made her a lot more resilient and gifted her with powers over technology and transformations of her own body. She looks human for the most part. But the disguise can quickly drop when she gets stressed or hit with an electromagnetic pulse.

She lacks strength of her own. But makes up for it with technology crafted from her own body. The science behind this is so advanced that it might as well be a form of magic. She prefers a large two handed hammer for combat, that fires kinetic energy stored as she swings it on contact. She can fly or telieport short distances, make drones or copies of herself, or deploy energy barriers to protect others. But she knows she's capable of more, she just needs to work out how to do it. The problem is, that Sammi's powers far outstrip her ability to control them. Too much power too quick, and in the hands of a very nervous person to begin with. Sammi is trying hard to control these powers. She wants too, she needs too! She's terrified of what someone could achieve if they had use of them.

Sammi is not a brave person. She's shy and submissive, blushes often, and is on the whole quite inexperienced socially. Speaks with a stammer, and easily gives into fear and panic. Were it up to her, she would stay out of the heroing business. But Sammi has a particular knack for finding herself in a whole load of trouble. After a while she was convinced that if she's going to find herself in these fights, she would be better served fighting on her terms. So now she joins the newest generation of capes. Ready to bring the fight to the bad guys.

When did you first use your powers?

Sammi sat on the sofa and grabbed a pillow. She'd been setting up a little nest of sorts in the corner of the room. All blankets and pillows. But now she was going to use the furniture properly, at least for the sake of this interview. She thinks about the question hard, chewing on her lip. When she answers she doesn't meet the interviewers eyes for long.

"U-Ummm. I-I guess shortly a-after I got t-them? I w-was being c-chased by this g-guy called Ragz. H-He was this cloth m-monster thing, w-who shapeshifted i-i-into all k-kinds of t-things. He w-was really s-scary! He wanted t-to take me away for s-something. B-Because I was s-special. B-But I didn't w-want to go, s-s-so I was running away! And h-he cornered me! A-And he started t-tying m-me up! A-And I just felt t-this beam of light h-hit me and I could f-feel my whole body c-coming apart and reforming! W-When it was over, I w-was like... w-well, this.

S-So anyway, Ragz attacks m-me again! I was s-so scared that I j-just started s-screaming, and then h-he got hit with a-a blast of something! A-And I don't r-realise it, but it was me! I-I did that! So t-then we start fighting! A-And I dropped a w-whole building on h-him! A-A-And then I flew away and hid a-and I cried f-for two h-hours straight... T-The news kept talking about the building that fell over, I-I just felt s-so guilty. I-I found t-the first h-hero I could a-and told them everything! T-The were s-so nice to me...! T-Their name was Hawk. H-He could fly... I-I miss him...

Who was the first person you accidentally hurt with your powers?

She looks away, frowning. Sammi swallows, clearly this was not a nice memory.

"T-Their name was B-Ben... he was about m-my age. I-I l... I-I lik- I liked him. A-A lot. There w-was this b-bank robbery. He saw me go in a-and though I'd n-need rescuing. T-Turns out h-he was a cape a-as well. T-The same one I-I'd run into a-after I just g-got my powers, Hawk. S-So we started f-fighting the robbers, and I-I brought o-out a fusion cannon..."

Sammi's lip wobbled.

"I hi-hit Ben... H-He needs c-crutches to w-walk now." She sobbed. "I-I'm s-s-s-sorry-y-y...!" Her sholders shook for a few minutes. She calmed down, and pulled out her phone. Tapping quickly on it. A text. 'thinking of you X'

Who, outside the team, helps you control your powers?

T-There's this m-man. He's a l-little strange. C-Calls himself E-Embers. H-He seems to k-know something... a-about what happened t-to me, I m-mean. H-He talks a-about all these s-strange things, b-but he knows h-how to c-calm me down. I-If I get really bad, then h-he can put me to sleep. H-He's always w-waiting for me somewhere. N-Normally inside of my room. I-I don't know h-how he gets inside. B-But he's got s-some really good advice! B-But he only e-ever shows up when I-I'm alone. M-Maybe that's for the best.

Why do you care about the team?

Sammi looks a little stunned. Hiding behind the pillow she was clutching to her chest. Her eyes dart around, while her mouth moves without answering. She tries to make herself small, and unnoticeable. When she does speak, its with the unmistakable voice of someone with a frog in their throat.

"T-T-They're.... t-they're all I h-have! T-They're s-so nice! A-And they make m-me feel s-safe! I-I get so s-scared, a-and I look at t-them and t-they're being s-s-so brave! I-I just w-want them to l-like me! T-They help m-me stop being afraid. I-I just hope they're not a-afraid of me..."

quote:

Name: Sammi Cubrick - Forge
Look: Woman, White, human skin, Plain clothing, over the top costume
Mask: The NOVA
Abilities: Techno-Sorcery

Stats

Freak +2
Danger +1
Savior +0
Superior +0
Mundane +0

Moves:

Burn
When you charge up your powers, roll + conditions you currently have marked. On a hit, hold 3 burn. On a 7-9, mark a condition. On a miss, hold 2 burn and mark three conditions. Spend your burn on your flares. You lose all burn at the end of the scene. Choose four flares.

Constructs:
Spend 1 burn to create any object with your powers, up to the size of a person. Spend an additional burn to animate it independently of yourself. The construct dissolves at the end of the scene.

Move:
Spend 1 burn to move to any place you choose within the scene, breaking through or slipping past any barriers or restraints in your way. Spend a second burn to move to any place you’ve previously been.

Reality storm:
You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling + Freak instead of + Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn

Shielding:
You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling + Freak instead of + Savior.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if there is any fear in their eyes when they look at you. If they say no, take +1 forward and mark potential. If they say yes, immediately shift your Danger up and Savior down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them how they could stop you, if it came down to it. Give them Influence over you and clear a condition.

When our team first came together...

We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?

Relationships

You hang out all the time with Penumbra to blow off steam.

- "I-I mean, he's nice. A-And he kinda... relaxes a little around m-me. A-And sometimes, he can be really f-funny! He makes m-me relax too. A-A-And sometimes, when I've broken something a-and I'm f-feeling really down a-about it, he give the BEST hugs." Sammi flushed slightly. A smile tugging at the corners of her mouth. She closed her eyes at the memory. Apparently Sammi really liked hugs. "P-Plus, sometimes he s-seems really sad, and I-I don't want m-my friends to be sad, so I work extra h-hard to make him happy! A-And we go bowling, and watch movies, and talk, and sometimes he takes me out s-shopping, even t-though I can tell he really hates it...!" Sammi chuckles "H-He's a good friend!"

You once hurt Terrwyn when you lost control of your powers

- "Sh-She was just... I-I was..." Sammi took a deep breath. "I-I'd made this cannon thing, that used super heated plasma to conduct and condense gravity pulses into a pinpoint kinetic accelerator projector. B-But in all the fighting, i-it got hit, and s-started to malfunction! So I w-was trying to fix it, but i-it was just getting more u-unstable. T-T-Then Terrwyn grabbed me o-out of nowhere and h-her dragon grabbed the c-cannon and t-tried to absorb the e-explosion. B-But we w-were still too close to the blast. A-And we got thrown t-through a building! Poor Terrwyn took t-the whole impact. S-She just w-wouldn't let go! I-I was so w-worried. I s-stayed by her bed for t-the whole time she w-was recovering. T-Then she kept trying to g-get out of the bed, and I t-told her that s-she wasn't healed yet, and I s-started crying, b-because I felt so guilty! And then s-she got a weird l-look on her face and stayed in the b-bed. I think T-Terrwyn is a n-nice person, but s-she gets a little t-too worked up. M-Maybe I should bring h-her shopping the next time m-me and Luke go?"

Influence:

Happy Facade: Give influence to three people

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 19, 2016

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Madeline Teach - [DJ] Mad Teq - The Delinquent

"Come right in, come right in, my pad's open to anyone who wants a peak, fan, friend, foe, or just plain freak. You like that? I liked that, gotta remember that, get a lot of freaks around here." Madie's tongue slithers out for just a moment, a tongue piercing playing with her pierced lip, "Freaks ain't bad though, gotta be where the freaks at if you want a good time. Which I guess is why we're having this here sit down, finding out why I think I should be a hero, eh? But that's a big question, and I just love to hear myself talk, so I'm gonna give ya a big answer." The woman jumps onto a couch, putting her feet up on the nice glass table, "Don't worry 'bout the 'rents, they're off on a business trip, or tenth honeymoon, or just avoiding me, whatevs. Sit down, make yaself comfortable."

"Right, right then, startin' at the beginning, hoo, this is a tale. See, I was born with a power, a power like no one else - I can see sounds, ya know? You speak, I see colors, and those are your colors. I hear music, and it's like a beautiful painting in front of me. So you might say 'but Madeline, synesthesia is rare, but it's not a super power ' - and first of all I'd tell you to never call me Madeline, and second of all I'd say duh. One in a few hundred thousand people have it, but they don't have what I have. See, you might not know it since I ain't ever in school, but I'm what you call a certifiable super genius. My brain just is wired different, so I make things that other people think are impossible." With a snap of her fingers, a speaker previously laying dead on the floor started to float behind her back, "See, I picked my DJ name for a reason. My beats are hot, and my drops are killer, but people come to me to see the music. And I ain't talking about Molly."

"So when I was young, I got made fun of a bit, because I was a dumb kid who'd call people by their colors. Still do it sometimes, but that's besides the point. Had a few people make fun of me for it, got bullied a bit when I was young, being the smartest one in there, mixed with being a freak. So I embraced the freak, and I started to build and plan. By the time I was in sixth grade, I'd learned more about the human brain than most non-neurosurgeons. By eighth, I'd combined that with a pretty extensive knowledge of all things sound. And through a combo of these, you've got the Mad Teq behind the Mad Teqnician herself... me. See, these babies have a neuro link to me, and play sounds that I think, at a level that, well, induces hallucinations."

"This here's a Gen 1, made my first prototype that worked about two years back, which inspired this one. These let you see the colors of sound, like I do - nothing big, nothing scary, I wasn't in this to hurt someone, I was in it to make music that was more than music. It got me nice and famous with some people on the ground. I became the freak of colors, the girl that turns up the beat and gives out a visual treat. Got my name out there, got a following, but gently caress no I don't put my poo poo up on youtube - my speakers are the only ones with the ability to give the shows I give, and no machine can record it.

So my parents thought I was a freak too, when I told them I was smarter than them when I was in fourth grade they had me tested, and yeah, I beat two successful adults in a test of knowledge and intelligence. They stopped showing up in my life much at all, once I built my first prototype and blew out a wall, said I was just too much to deal with. Now they are always on business trips, or vacationing, and hell, that's fine with me. I got a sweet pad to myself, plenty of money to keep my experiments up and running, and no one telling me what to do. That's how I got out into the DJing business without anyone breathing down my neck, or telling me to make more 'useful' things."

She leans back, resting her arms behind her head, "Gen 2 was my first attempt at making something real, and it was a failure of huge proportions. I tried to tap into the subconscious, pull out what people wanted to see with my sounds, but instead I just pulled out whatever was the most... impactful. For a lot of people, that was... bad poo poo, and well, ain't no party worse than one where a third of the dance floor has collapsed into anxiety attacks. My bad, my bad, I suppose, but hey, science has faults, and I refunded people's ticket prices at least, for causing that mess, what, hey, don't give me that face, it wasn't on purpose."

"Anyways, Gen 3 was better, I could pull out some pretty complex things, especially in regulars. I see everything all of them see, ya know? Like, sort of... it's weird. So with Gen 3, the more someone listened to my sounds, the more clearly I could pull things out. Could make a man in a desert think he was in alaska, if he'd listened to me for a few weeks before hand. A useful thing, but not fast enough, ya dig? See, by now I wanted to get in on this 'heroism' gig, so I needed something faster, something that could mess with the mind in seconds, not weeks. My best friend she uh, always said she knew I could do big things like that, so hell yeah I'm going to give Lyn reason to think I'm some super genius hero.

The Gen 4s are just that - I call 'em 'Subconciouswoofers' which is a bit of a long name, but I'm sure you get it, yeah? I send a signal, and I can make people see things, not always exactly the things I want them to see, but usually something close. So I'm totes ready to get into this heroing gig, you know, making a name for myself, testing out my tech, the whole shibang. Stopping bad guys too, of course. So ya, that's me, this is my tech, so send me out with some real freaks already."

-----------

Madeline Teach has many files on her in many sections of government - educational, legal, economical, and even in their scientific community. She dropped out of school in 9th grade, despite easily being able to pass all of her courses without attending, because 'it just doesn't matter'. She has been arrested four times for disturbing the peace and breaking into private property - all due to parties she hosted in other people's places, without their knowledge, into the long hours of the night. When asked why she never tried to escape the police during these, she replied 'it just doesn't matter'. Along with her speakers, Madie has patented thirty seven different ground breaking inventions - all related to sound or sight - that she has, thus far, refused to monetize, a single one of which would allow her to easily make waves. When asked why she doesn't want monetary or scientific standing from her inventions, again she replied 'it just doesn't matter'.

A professional psychologist hired by the girl's parents when she was young found the woman to have extreme apathetic views to nearly everything in her life. She was not anti-social, and loved to interact with people, to listen to them, to talk with them, but she never valued the things other people did. While she does desire social standing, she desires it from only those close to her in age and interests - she has always and continued to treat adults like their beliefs never mattered a bit to her, even her own parents. She does, however, crave both acceptance and excitement with her peers, and those who knew her would know the 'super hero' gig was just another way for her to enjoy making her music.

Her speakers allow her to make near perfect illusions, and some particularly receptive minds go so far as to feel what she makes them see, their brain giving them chills when she puts them on ice. Despite some attempts to reverse engineer her technology, the neuro-interface appears to only work for her own particular brainwaves, and when hooked up to other sources of sounds the speakers simply are very good speakers, with no mind altering effect.

Her best friend, Lyn Park is, perhaps, the biggest influence on the Madie. A friend from back in pre-school, she was smart, but never on the same level... and yet, she never once bullied, questioned, or did anything mean to Madie. Despite... differing interests, between Madie's love of the underground music scene and Lyn's goal of becoming a surgeon and being... more than a bit of a nerd, the two remained fast friends, long after Madie dropped out of school. She's also a large part of why Madie embraces the 'freak' of her self and others, always told that being different was a good thing by her best friend. Since they were young, Lyn insisted that Madie could 'like, be a super hero!', and it seems that she is, in fact, the reason Madie is looking to make the leap from DJ to Hero.

quote:

Name: Madeline Teach
Hero Name: DJ Mad Teq
Looks: Woman, White, Laughing Eyes, Garish/Rebellious Clothing, Showy Costume
Abilities: Tricks/Illusions, Psychic Weapons
Labels

Freak +1
Danger 0
Savior -1
Superior +2
Mundane +1

Moves

Team? What team?: When you use Team selfishly, clear a condition or mark potential. The first time in a session that you use Team to help a teammate, take +1 forward.

Mary Contrary: When someone tries to pierce your mask, comfort or support you, or provoke you, you can interfere. Roll + Superior. On a hit, they take a -2 on their roll. On a 10+, you also take Influence over them or clear a condition.

On a miss, they get a 10+ no matter what they rolled and you mark a condition of their choice.

Are you watching closely?
: When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll + Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment.

On a 10+, choose three. On a 7-9, choose two.
- you get an opportunity
- you expose a weakness or flaw
- you confuse them for some time
- you avoid further entanglement

On a miss, you’re hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you’re cool. If they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or spurn them immediately. If they’re a teammate, then either way, add a Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you, and ask them who they’d like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. If they’re a teammate, add a Team to the pool no matter what.

Moment of Truth

This is when you show them what you really are. Whether you’re the hero underneath the rebel facade...or the one who can make the hard choices heroes can’t make. You do whatever it takes to show that truth, whether it’s saving the day from a terrible villain or stopping a bad guy once and for all. Of course, once you’ve shown what you really are, there’s no going back to playing the clown...

When Our Team First Came Together

We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

Relationships

You keep trying to impress _________________ with your antics.
You and ________________ pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

Influence

You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates Influence over you.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 25, 2016

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
So, pretty simple picks!

Team 1: Didn't want to separate the original team (where they were re-apped)
All-American Girl
Red Fox
Showstopper
Synapse
Viscosity
Quixzot

Team 2: So the new apps get put here!
Terrwyn
Penumbra
Scavenger
Sammi Cubrick

You'll all be in Halcyon City, but it's a big city, plenty of room for two hero teams... right?

Once all bookkeeping is done, I'll put up the IC threads!

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Huh i made it in. Nice! So backstory stuff if anyone has any suggestions there.

quote:

You told Scavenger all about your doom and the danger you're in.

"so you see why it has to be you?" Sammi was way too scatterbrained to get her to understand and I wouldn't want to burden such an innocent soul with my problems anyway. And I'm sure Terrwyn would understand the problem. the flaw with that being she's likely to regard me as a threat and burn me to cinders because of it. No it has to be Scavenger I know he doesn't really have raw power but he has a good heart and a quick mind I can count on him to do what has to be done. "Remember I'm counting on you, and it'll be a mercy not to have to "live" like that."

quote:

You'd love to kiss Terrwyn before your doom comes.

Terrwyn is gorgeous pure and simple, and best of all she's not from round here, she doesn't have any of the prejudices against people with my kind of powers. I know I know I probably don't have a chance with her, but hell I'm a dead man walking I might as well give it a shot. What's the worst she can do to me?

quote:

Scavenger: Scavenger is what I pretend to be a real hero. He's noble and brave and fights the good fight,

Sammi: Sammi is a breath of fresh air, she's like the little sister or the best friend I never had. She has issues with controlling her powers but I'm not such a massive hypocrite that I'd try to lecture her for it. I wish she didn't drag me off on those godawful shopping trips though I'd wear the same shirt every day if I could get away with it and yet she expects me to pick between two nearly identical dresses for her.

Team Leader: Terrwyn

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 31, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Terrwyn Stuff:

quote:

You've been learning about Earth by spending time with Scavenger.

I first met him on the battlefield when we were fighting the brigands that chased Sammi. It was his courage that inspired me to fight on his side! After the battle, I got to know these warriors a bit better, and... he's kind of the most... normal? The shadow mage feels aloof and Sammi is... well, Sammi. So I appointed him my teacher.

quote:

You have a crush on Sammi but you keep it under wraps.

So this Sammi? She's a seriously powerful artificer. I was quite impressed by the sheer power she exhibited. Unfortunately, I learned a little bit too late that she has just about as much control over her magic as she has fashion sense...

But, it's not like a piddly explosion like that could stop Sharalian nobility like myself! I merely needed to heal, and Sammi decided to attend me. She was... awfully strict. In fact, a little bit.. insolent.

I mean, who orders a princess around?! The nerve! But... I suppose, I... enjoyed the companionship. Hell, I think I even like her! I may just bring her with me as a retainer when I return home. ... Once I instill some sense of decorum in her!

Terrwyn is haughty so nobody gets influence.

Voting myself as team leader. What kind of princess would follow someone else's orders?!

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 31, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Halcyon Knights

Editing my original stuff a bit:

Relationships
You keep trying to impress Red Fox with your antics.
She's always taking everything so seriously! We're living the life, man! One of these days, I'm gonna get her to loosen up on the job.

You and Quixzot pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.
I'm thinking going for a few joyrides with cobbled together super-science/alien tech vehicles that rarely make it through the whole trip

Influence
You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates influence over you.

Red Fox- Yeah, she's a bit too serious, but she's saved my but more than once. Guess I owe her.
Synapse- Out of all the sticks in the mud on the team, he's at least got a pretty good reason for it, so I try and avoid giving him too much poo poo.
Viscosity- She's another person who's got a great excuse to be a total drag, but instead she's getting out and doing what she wants! She's got great taste in music, too.

Also, I'm voting Synapse for team leader. He's the responsible type, and I'm picturing that the new base is more the support structure for the World Lock. So, we're sort of crashing at his place, anyway.

Showstopper's room
Showstopper's room is right off the basement garage, so he can tinker with whatever he's working on at the time and rock out without bothering anyone. Except when he turns his amp up to 11, of course.

His room itself is a wreck, with dirty clothes, spare parts, and his scant personal items scattered about the floor. The walls are lined with tattered band posters, and there's a trash can overflowing with rejected lyrics and ripped up musical scores in the corner. Essentially the stereotypical punk teen room, with a dash of tinkering nerd for taste.

Surprisingly, he keeps the garage pretty tidy, even if his organization scheme for parts and tools only makes sense to him.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 30, 2016

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi Cubrick - The Cog

Okay, so for my relation picks, I'm going with

quote:

You hang out all the time with Penumbra to blow off steam.

"I-I mean, he's nice. A-And he kinda... relaxes a little around m-me. A-And sometimes, he can be really f-funny! He makes m-me relax too. A-A-And sometimes, when I've broken something a-and I'm f-feeling really down a-about it, he give the BEST hugs." Sammi flushed slightly. A smile tugging at the corners of her mouth. She closed her eyes at the memory. Apparently Sammi really liked hugs. "P-Plus, sometimes he s-seems really sad, and I-I don't want m-my friends to be sad, so I work extra h-hard to make him happy! A-And we go bowling, and watch movies, and talk, and sometimes he takes me out s-shopping, even t-though I can tell he really hates it...!" Sammi chuckles "H-He's a good friend!"

quote:

You once hurt Terrwyn when you lost control of your powers

"Sh-She was just... I-I was..." Sammi took a deep breath. "I-I'd made this cannon thing, that used super heated plasma to conduct and condense gravity pulses into a pinpoint kinetic accelerator projector. B-But in all the fighting, i-it got hit, and s-started to malfunction! So I w-was trying to fix it, but i-it was just getting more u-unstable. T-T-Then Terrwyn grabbed me o-out of nowhere and h-her dragon grabbed the c-cannon and t-tried to absorb the e-explosion. B-But we w-were still too close to the blast. A-And we got thrown t-through a building! Poor Terrwyn took t-the whole impact. S-She just w-wouldn't let go! I-I was so w-worried. I s-stayed by her bed for t-the whole time she w-was recovering. T-Then she kept trying to g-get out of the bed, and I t-told her that s-she wasn't healed yet, and I s-started crying, b-because I felt so guilty! And then s-she got a weird l-look on her face and stayed in the b-bed. I think T-Terrwyn is a n-nice person, but s-she gets a little t-too worked up. M-Maybe I should bring h-her shopping the next time m-me and Luke go?

Terrwyn, Scavenger, and Penumbra have 1 influence on Sammi.

Terrwyn:

"B-But I like the name Cog...!" Sammi stammered. The Dragon princes pinched the bridge of her nose, and sighed. Sammi started feeling flustered and started casting about for a better answer. Instead it just made her look panicked. They'd been talking about this for the last fifteen minutes, Terrwyn had been getting steadily more angry.

"The name is unbecoming of you! A cog is a worthless person, who mearly follows orders unthinkingly. Are you a thoughtless drone? No, you most certainly are not! So pick again." Terrwyn said frustrated, she might have been glaring, but it was hard to tell under the bandages. She was still recovering from the Cannon incident. Sammi felt so guilty that she'd stayed here the whole time. She'd even set up a little resting area for herself so she could sleep while Terrwyn was. She was starting to regret it though. Injured so she was, the princess was no less fearsome. Maybe she was a little more so then normal. She'd kept getting this odd look on her face, like she was both mad and conflicted. She was probably trying to not get too angry about Sammi putting her in the hospital.

"W-Well... n-n-no...?" Sammi replied. Her mind was reeling, she didn't know what to say. So she lapsed into a nervous subservience. She always felt a little overwhelmed by Terrwyn. She was a force of nature, and no mistake. "O-Okay, I'll think, a-about changing the n-name, I mean." She looked around the room for inspiration, but a hospital room was rarely a place to find your muse. Mug, clipboard, beepy medical machines, a bed, an angry dragon girl. Sammi's eyes met Terrwyn and flinched. She looked livid. Sammi's heart pounded. She'd much rather be in her forge right now... oh? Oh... Ohhh!

"W-Well... w-what about F-Forge?" She tentatively suggested. Terrwyn considered it. Her expression unreadable. "Better." She said, nodding. Sammi sagged a little with relief. "Now, onto your costume!" Terrwyn said a thin smile spreading across her face. Like a cat looking at a mouse. Sammi could do little but nod, wide eyed. She knew she'd be in for it the moment that she'd made Terrwyn stay in the bed, it seemed like the princess was determined to get her moneys worth.

Scavenger

W-Well, S-Scavenger once found my phone. I-It had fallen out of m-my pocked during a fight, a-and he's spent hours looking for it. He's r-really good a-at finding stuff. U-Unfortunately to help h-him find it I'd m-made a gadget t-that locks and unlocks my p-phone. Because it makes this n-noise, you see...? W-W-Well anyway, w-when he got it i-it was unlocked. S-So now I'm worried h-he took a look inside. I-It's full of all sorts o-of embarrassing a-a-and compromising photos of m-me! He gave it back, b-but he didn't say i-if he'd taken a-a look or n-not. I-I-I don't think he w-would... but what i-if he had? How can I-I ever l-look him in the eyes now h-he's seen that photo of m-m-me in a dinosaur onesiee? O-Or any of the photos of my e-earlier c-costumes? Or that p-photo that H-Hawk took w-when I'd managed to get ice cream a-all down my front a-and all over my f-face? He keeps teasing m-me with it! O-O-Or any of my diary entries! Or b-blue prints! or m-my taste in music?! O-O-Oh no! Am I-I blushing? I-I think I'm b-blushing? It's not f-fair!

Penumbra

H-He's the person I go to in my d-darkest moments. H-He's always there when I need him. W-What he thinks m-means so much to m-me that It w-would kill me t-to hear h-him say h-he hates m-me.

Team leader vote - Terrwyn

Because there's no way Sammi's arguing with her. She's just too scary.

When we first came together: We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?

Sammi had not been at the heroing game long before she ran into the others. She was being chased... as per usual really. What was unusual was the reason. See, she'd been fighting one bad guy. Doctor Pain, an ex-surgeon who following a crippling accident learned how to transfer the constant pain he was in by experimenting on himself, and creating a set of electrifying whips to send all the pain he was suffering to whatever he wrapped them in. Unfortunately, he'd gone quite mad due to the constant pain, and was trying to stop him blowing up a pharmaceutical company to get at their experimental painkillers.

During the fighting, Sammi accidentally collapsed the street, which fell into another bad guys lair. The lair of The Beast! She'd tangled with him earlier that day and He was still furious. Sammi tried to sneak out while the two bad guys were arguing. Until they spotted her and thus she was getting chased by two guys. So Sammi thought she'd try and take them both out at once, but missed and sent a fuel tanker flying. She got the driver out in time, but the whole thing was going to land and explode! She was going to make it, until Doctor Pain grabbed and pinned her with his Pain-lashes! She could only watch helplessly as it spiralled towards the pharmaceutical company's building! That was when the others arrived.

The damage was extensive, she'd destroyed a major street, several floors of the surrounding buildings were in ruins, multiple cars were ether crushed or on fire, lots of the local sewer systems were disrupted as well. To top it all of Sammi accidentally took out the power grid to a section of the city for a good day and a half. She got such a telling off for all of it.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 1, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Quixzot is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.
She's an alien! A real actually alien holy poo poo how cool is that??? Can anyone in my school say they hang out with an ALIEN? No. No they can't. But I can. Because I'm the best, and she's the best. YEAH! Aliens. You know I'm in the big leagues now with an actual alien. Alien~ (so cool)

You've got to prove yourself to Red Fox before you feel like a real hero.
This probably isn't fair, but it always seems like Red Fox is judging me. Maybe it's because she always has her mask on so I can't actually see her expression, but its like... I just get an impression of coldness from her, like she thinks I shouldn't be here because I don't actually have any superpowers. And she basically has superpowered versions of what I can do. So if I can get her to accept me as a hero, then it'll be like having every recognize me as a hero.

You are so excited to be here. Give influence over you to three of your teammates.
Viscosity, Red Fox, Synapse

Team Leader
All American Girl, obviously.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 30, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Relationships
Viscosity knew you from your civilian life first.
Poor Lexi... we've been going to the same schools ever since we were little kids, and she was kinda a grade-based Frenemy for a while. We were both just really smart, and if I didn't get top in the class on some test, it was near-certain she's the person that beat me. And now, after both our accidents? I got an astounding array of awesome abilities without any side-effects, and she got, uh, yeah. So I guess I'm secretly competing with her still, just about something different - and keeping an eye on her to make sure she's OK...

You refused to tell All American Girl your secret identity when they asked.
I'm not sure what she expected. Why would I go to all the work of never taking my mask off around the team - I don't even eat around them - only to just tell her my real name when she asks? She was polite and friendly about it, but that's not going to help me when Fox News or the Halcyon Herald gets a hold of the info eventually, is it? I think she took my refusal personally, but that's her problem, not mine.

Oh, and while we're on the subject, All American Girl goes to my school too, because of course. She's kinda popular - we've only hung out a few times - but she's in my MMO Guild (as an Archer, because Of Course) even if she's super casual about it.

Influence
You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out. Give two of them influence over you.
Quixzot - A cool space alien is on our team? That's awesome! I have like, so many questions, but I'll wait to ask because seeming overeager isn't really the type of persona I want Red Fox to have.
Showstoper - He's definitely immature, but like... he just has a lot of fun with this whole hero thing, and he's not afraid to be open about it. I kinda wish I didn't have to worry about maintaining my secrecy so much, so its cool to hang around with someone that doesn't. Plus, uh... don't you think he's kinda cute?

Team Lead
Vote for Synapse - he seems responsible and Red Fox respects his powers a lot.

Room
Red Fox is calling dibs on a room isolated from the rest. Mostly in order to make it easy for her to slip out of the base without the others noticing she's gone again. It's kept quintuple locked, but provided you make it past them, you're apt to be disappointed if you're looking for clues to her secret identity - all she keeps here are a spare costume, a bed, desk with components for her suit, and maps of the city on the walls. She keeps most of her stuff at home, obviously.

The only things giving the room any personality at all are a Blade Runner poster on the inside of the door, a lot of spreadsheets with DPS calculations for her WoW character Luthien, and a few extremely-complicated and time consuming board games she brought from home and has stored under the bed.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 31, 2016

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Relationships:
Showstopper comforted you when you were at your lowest.
I guess it was stupid but I always thought that once I got better... you know, good enough to hold my shape and stuff, they'd let me go back home. I asked about it, and Dr. Troy got this really sad look... I had to stay at the labs for a while longer, he said. Until they were sure I was safe. I was pretty much crying myself into liquid form after that, when this boy showed up. He wasn't afraid of me, which was super-weird, and I guess he broke in because I knew he wasn't on the lab staff and no one else was allowed in that part of the facility. He started talking about bands, when he saw my SLUGZ t-shirt, and well... I hadn't talked to another kid since before my dissolution. And he didn't even care. He let me listen to his music, and it was great, and said I could always come to his shows.

I felt a lot better after that. And even though Doctor Troy was furious about the break in, he let me go to a concert. And it was awesome.

Red Fox knew you before you changed.
So, after a few weeks of hanging out and working together, I'm on to Red Fox. She tries to act all aloof and stuff but I've totally caught her talking about stuff that only someone who goes to my school would know. And the way she talks to me sometimes, it's like... someone else I know, but I mean, it couldn't be, right? (Yeah, right.) If only I was super fast or super sneaky I would totally follow her home one night but well, I kinda glow in the dark so that's just not going to work! It'd be better if she told me, more fair, you know? I can keep a secret! But even if she doesn't... well, it's OK. I get not wanting to be famous for what you are, having your family get harassed over it. If there was any chance that I could keep who I was a secret I probably would have tried, but my face was plastered all over the news pre-and-post dissolution so there's no chance of that for me.

Influence: You try not to care what other people think, even if you can't shut everyone out. Give Influence to one teammate.
Quixzot is a super cool robot alien ambassador from another planet! With their own spaceship! If that isn't enough to get some respect I have no idea what is.

Leader:
I don't really care who's in charge as long as it's not me. Synapse is kind of a weird choice though, I mean, I can't imagine that he wants that kind of responsibility. He's kind of aloof. I'd follow Showstopper anywhere but like, I'm probably the only one. (^_^);

Lexi's Room at the base is all bright white tile, there's a stainless steel rectangular bathtub where you'd expect a bed to be, and special stands for her 'suits' in the closet (which keep their shape even when she isn't wearing them.) It's much colder in her room than the rest of the base, normal people can see their breath if they walk in to visit her. There's a few band posters on the wall, and a huge surround sound speaker set that frames a plastic-covered recliner in one corner. Lexi's furniture is all molded plastic, but she does have a nice flatscreen TV on one wall and a computer desk, though her monitor is behind a clear plastic shield. (Due to a sneezing incident.)

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
My background stuff:

Relationships

quote:

Penumbra is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.

Penumbra has some really cool powers, I have to admit. We hang out a lot, which is why he told me the truth about them. And also told me that if it comes down it, I need to be the one to kill him. Which is, well, not exactly how I thought that conversation would go. But it's also why I need to be near him - to help him deal with this thing.

quote:

You’ve got to prove yourself to Terrwyn before you feel like a real hero.

Terrwyn doesn't really seem to care about what others think or be too impressed at everyone's abilities. But I figure if I can get her to openly say something positive about my abilities or being a hero, I'll have done something that's show everyone else that I do belong out here.

Influence

quote:

You are so excited to be here. Give Influence over you to three of your teammates.

Penumbra
Terrwyn
Spectra

Team Leader: Penumbra

When our team first came together...

quote:

We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?

While the rest of the team was stopping two villains from wrecking the place up even worse, I helped bring people out of the Panacea pharmaceutical building while it was on fire. Near the end, when things died down and Dr. Pain was unmasked, I saw an interesting memo put up at the security desk near the front. It had a photo of an ordinary Dr. Pain in regular work clothes and a warning not to let him in. I didn't bring it with me at the time since I had some more people to save and the fire fighters were working on the fire. Unfortunately it got burned up before they got to it. We tried asking Panacea about it, but they claimed he had never been there before and that there was no such memo. I didn't have any proof, so we had to drop it. For now, anyway.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 1, 2016

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution

quote:

Relationships
You told All-American Girl all about your doom and the danger you're in.
She just asked, really. Started as a question about why I needed to ground myself in my room after missions.

You'd love to kiss Viscosity before your doom comes.
I don't know, it seems like she'd understand me a little more than most.

quote:

Influence
Red Fox and Quixzot
Red Fox and Quixzot will be the most likely ones to help me find Sleeper.

Voting Red Fox for Team Leader.

Synapse's Room:
Less of its own room, it's situated in one of the corners of the World Lock chamber. A very bland desk, office chair, bed, dresser, and couch from some Ikea-esque store. Rather than decorating the place that heroes occasionally need to pop into, he's always got music playing from a desktop computer on the desk. Old classic rock.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Just fyi. Edited in the influence bits into my previous post. If anyone's got any issues with it let me know. I also had a word with Yami to make sure he was cool with how Terrwyn was presented, just to be clear, she's coming across angrier then she was because Sammi is bad at peopleing.

Sammi Cubrick

When we first came together: We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?

Sammi had not been at the heroing game long before she ran into the others. She was being chased... as per usual really. What was unusual was the reason. See, she'd been fighting one bad guy. Doctor Pain, an ex-surgeon who following a crippling accident learned how to transfer the constant pain he was in by experimenting on himself, and creating a set of electrifying whips to send all the pain he was suffering to whatever he wrapped them in. Unfortunately, he'd gone quite mad due to the constant pain, and was trying to stop him blowing up a pharmaceutical company to get at their experimental painkillers.

During the fighting, Sammi accidentally collapsed the street, which fell into another bad guys lair. The lair of The Beast! She'd tangled with him earlier that day and He was still furious. Sammi tried to sneak out while the two bad guys were arguing. Until they spotted her and thus she was getting chased by two guys. So Sammi thought she'd try and take them both out at once, but missed and sent a fuel tanker flying. She got the driver out in time, but the whole thing was going to land and explode! She was going to make it, until Doctor Pain grabbed and pinned her with his Pain-lashes! She could only watch helplessly as it spiralled towards the pharmaceutical company's building! That was when the others arrived.

The damage was extensive, she'd destroyed a major street, several floors of the surrounding buildings were in ruins, multiple cars were ether crushed or on fire, lots of the local sewer systems were disrupted as well. To top it all of Sammi accidentally took out the power grid to a section of the city for a good day and a half. She got such a telling off for all of it.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Terrwyn

quote:

We didn't trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Let's just say it was a bit of a heated situation. These, what was their name? Scientists? had just recently kidnapped me, and brought me here (no, I refuse to believe their claims of having had no intention of doing so). I was disoriented, lost. Naturally, I went by my instincts and fled the fastest way possible - straight through the ceiling of the building. Naturally, an exploding building warrants attention. I'll admit, I was scared. I had no way of gauging what was going on and where I was, yes? So I summoned Dionaea. This... had the unfortunate effect of adding even more confusion. Apparently, they thought I was a foul villain! The nerve! Did they not see my princess-like innocence?

Anyway, it devolved in what this dimension apparently calls a 'battle royale'. Dionaea and I may have become the center piece of attention. Just a little bit. But, this scoundrel had wrapped Sammi in his thunder magic and she was screaming in pain. I'm not sure how, but I sensed Sammi was not a bad person, so I had Dionaea stomp this Dr. Pain into the ground. ... Somewhat literally. Sammi was on the ground, so I decided to give her a hand. I do believe at that point they realized I was in fact not a common brigand! Took them long enough, if you ask me. We then turned our attention on the other villain, The Beast (if anything the name is appropriate, I suppose) that had been in the battle as well (how it hadn't already been the prime target and defeated is still beyond me), and he too was quickly defeated. Following that, we just started conversing, and probably more importantly, I explained to them what had just happened to me.

Not that any of this surprises me! Doing battle is one of the fastest ways to build friendships.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Hey guys, just so you know, there'll be one more player on Team 2 Spectra, the Bull played by Frgrbrgr. I don't plan to do this often, but just like how the original game had Viscosity come in late, I'll make an exception here - plus this time it's in time for all the backgrounds stuff at least!

EDIT: Will also have Influence sheets up sometime today, but it's been a rough family-drama day so far :(

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 31, 2016

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I have no issue with this. :)

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

quote:

Hero Name: Spectra
Playbook: The Bull

Look: Woman, Hispanic, calloused hands, casual clothing, simple costume
Abilities: Someone or something changed you, made you into a perfect weapon:

Hyperphotosynthetic Filtration - Rosa is able to tap into energy reserves that her body gathers from solar light energy and stores in her muscles and joints. When she desires, she can alter her body chemistry to dramatically increase energy absorption and consumption in various frequencies, each associated with different muscle groups. This change is accompanied by chemical changes to her hair, which indicates which frequency she is attuned to.
  • Superhumanly tough - Hair turns blue
  • Incredibly strong - Hair turns red
  • Uniquely skilled at fighting - Hair turns yellow

Labels
Freak +1
Danger +2
Savior 0
Superior +1
Mundane -1

Moves

Punch everyone: Whenever you charge into a fight without hedging your bets, you can shift your Danger up and any other Label down.

In a china shop: When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

The Bull's Heart
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.

Friend: When you comfort or support your love or rival, mark potential on a hit. When your love or rival comforts or supports you, mark potential when they roll a hit.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

Moment of Truth
This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who
changed you know exactly where to find you...

Floricultor, they used to call me, down in Los Angeles.

My parents, my whole family, we were poor, yeah, but we were close. Two younger sisters. Four younger brothers. And me. I remember getting up early, staying up late to help with the chores, to help my siblings with their homework, or to do some work around my family's hardware store.

That's how we first found out I had powers, the first in my family. Flower grower, they called me, floricultor, because I could channel sunlight through my fingertips into plants, making them grow much faster. It quickly became a regular part of my day, hours in the greenhouse. Reyes Tools grew a reputation for being able to cultivate out of season plants and exotic flora, any time of the year. It helped pay a lot of debts. My family finally had a future.

And then he came.

Professor Diabolic, el cabron, though he called himself something different at the time. Said he was a hero. Said he'd help me get better at using my power. But he wasn't. He didn't. I grew flowers, dammit, I didn't read minds! So I went with him.

He cut me. Changed me. He severed the connections I had in my body, rerouting them to areas of muscle mass. No more floricultor. I think, in his head, el cabron was just trying to make me better. I think his ideas of what better is can go to hell.

Eventually, I came to in his laboratory, strapped to a gurney. At first I cried for help. None came. Hours I spent there, begging for someone to save me. Silence.

I came to a revelation back then, strapped to that bed. All my life, I had been a small part of something bigger. A big family. A big community. But when I needed help most, nobody was there. I don't blame them, of course, but I cursed myself for being so stupid. So easily tricked and taken advantage of. I saw immediately that it all was an illusion. All I have is myself. I can't go back to my former life. But... maybe I can make a new one. Maybe I can use it to support my family, too.

My power is different now. All that solar energy, instead of going outward, it stays in. Waiting for when I need it. And when I call for it... you wouldn't believe the rush. My hair changes with it now, too, some sort of chemical rewiring he did to increase intake at max capacity. I think I can mix things up, too, but I haven't really had an opportunity to try yet.

And... I've changed to. I've had to. No help to the family any more, no need to freak them out with what Diabolic did. I have an uncle, Gabriel, Gabe, who I lived with for a while, up here in SF. He was always the black sheep... turns out Tío had a reason to be! He's an hero too, you see, goes by the name of El Niño. Kind of small time, only known in the city, really, but I see how hard he works at it. He's training me, too, showing me how to defend myself, even without using my powers.

quote:

Who changed you?

Professor Diabolic - At the time, I thought he was some superhero, but it turns out el cabron is one of the most dangerous scientists in the planet. He's done this before, to others. Changing them for fun, in hopes to use them for his own plans. I'm just lucky I managed to escape.

quote:

How did you escape from them?

Well, how do you think? El cabron isn't too smart when it comes to thinking ahead. Give a girl super strength - she's gonna use it to bust out of your little lab. Once I realized that nobody wad coming to save me, it was actually pretty easy. The straps were nothing, the safety plexiglass took a few punches before shattering, and his concrete bunker only withstood two running slams. I didn't bother cleaning up the mess. I ran.

quote:

Who tries to take care of you now?

Uncle Gabe - El cabron's lab was in some abandoned warehouse in a wharf in San Francisco. The only family member who lives in the Bay Area is Uncle Gabe, and we'd only visited Tío a couple times. Still I found my way to his apartment, and with one look at me, he took me in, no questions asked. Since then, he's showed me some hero basics, but I still have a lot to learn.

quote:

Why do you try to be a hero?

If I'm being honest, it's a mixture of a lot of things. Anger at el cabron, anger that nobody protected me, wanting to protect others like I used to be, wanting to be a good person. If I can make sure no more things like me get created, yeah, that's a nice goal.

quote:

Who is the hero you most look up to?

When I was younger, I'd probably say somebody stupid, like Power Man or The Yellow Wasp. But now, it's my uncle. Code name El Niño. Now a hero in his mid fifties, Tío has been fighting bad guys for ages. His power is kinda lame, which is why he never made it into the big leagues. But weather control can be pretty nice on a hot day, too... it doesn't all have to be fighting battles.

quote:

Have you pursued any more information on Diabolic? Have you found anything out?

El cabron? The loving pendejo is slippery as hell. Of course we reported early on what happened to the police, but they haven't made any progress. Uncle Gabe has looked into personally as well, but last he heard was that Diabolic was starting up a new operation down in Argentina. We talked a little about trying to take a trip down there to do some recon, but the airfare alone would put Tío back a couple months' rent. So for now, it's out of the question. Maybe after I make some money saving the world, then I can take him down.

quote:

When our team first came together…
We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Dr. Pain and The Beast.

quote:

Relationships

Penumbra is your love. You've opened up to them about the worst parts of
your past.

Penumbra? Yeah, he's nice. Power's got something to do with controlling shadows. Ay, but would you look at him? Handsome, no? So I grabbed him one night, early on, told him how I felt. Turned into a long talk about our pasts. It was nice.

Terrwyn is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

La puta better stop barking orders like she's in charge. I ain't no dog.

quote:

Influence

You're focused. Give your love (Penumbra) and rival (Terrwyn) influence over you, but that's it.

Voting Penumbra as team lead.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 31, 2016

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Team Leader: All American Girl

Influence
: Everyone

When we first did poo poo: See Last Time

quote:

You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with All American Girl

Oh my god, All American Girl. She's so... I don't even know how to describe it. Everyone else here has Weird Superpowers, but she's relatively normal, which means I've been hanging out with her. She showed me the human equivalent of my home's 'Video Games', taught me how to do a 'sweet kickflip', we even had human Pizza! She's... interesting! Taught me a lot of fun things.

quote:

You have a crush on Red Fox but you keep it under wraps.

Well, duh! Not only is Red Fox all... strange and mysterious and cool, she's also the only other Robot on the team! I mean, she's closer to me than humans are, anyways, even if we obviously come from very different sources! God, she's so... Mmn, She's got that spark, that color, that PERSONA! She's to DIE for!

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Penumbra

quote:

We paid a high cost for victory. What was it?

You mean aside from the extensive property damage? Although given this is Halycon expensive property damage is pretty much a regular Tuesday. It's dog bites man territory not man bites dog if you know what I mean. What we didn't realise until it was too late was that the whole battle with the Beast and Dr Pain was a distraction, it was meant to draw everyone's attention away from the lab where Dr Mackenzie Guffin was working. You've never heard of him? He really is quite famous in the world of dimensional research I talked to him by email a few times when I was researching the world of shadows. But I digress, no one knows the planes of existence like he does. He's been on more scientific expeditions and wrote more journal articles than you and I have had hot dinners. Anyway while all attention was on us he was kidnapped from his lab a task made easier by the holes we'd punched in it. Since then no one has heard anything from him or his kidnappers, no ransom notes no threats to flood the world with a portal linked to the dimension of chocolate, nothing. And that worries me what knowledge did he have in his head that made him worth kidnapping? what do his captors hope to get from him? Whatever it is it's not going to be good. I hope we or someone else can find him soon.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 1, 2016

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Halcyon Knights Team 1 Influence Sheet

Halcyon Knights Team 2 Influence Sheet

Feel free to suggest new/unique names for your particular teams!

Sorry for the delay, but again, real life is not cooperating with me right now.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Since no one else said it, I'm assuming we're sticking with the Halcyonic Knights.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

GodFish posted:

Since no one else said it, I'm assuming we're sticking with the Halcyonic Knights.

Honestly, I was sort of hoping both teams came up with it independently, and then we could call ourselves the Original Halcylon Knights, while they called themselves the Real Hayclon Knights. :v:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Capfalcon posted:

Honestly, I was sort of hoping both teams came up with it independently, and then we could call ourselves the Original Halcylon Knights, while they called themselves the Real Hayclon Knights. :v:

To be honest i was actually thinking about it. Especially since those team 1 fakers have no liege to be knights FOR, unlike team 2.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Yami Fenrir posted:

To be honest i was actually thinking about it. Especially since those team 1 fakers have no liege to be knights FOR, unlike team 2.

We are Knights errant, duh.

• Locked thread