Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

mafoose posted:

How much are the workstations going for?
Anyone local to the spyder willing to coordinate shipping?

I'm supposed to go pick up the newly painted 635CSI from the painters and it refuses to start now... Motherfucker.

$300-500. They range from 8GB-16GB, ASUS Motherboards, no idea what video cards, older SSD's (120GB), Lian-Li cases, 500-700w power supplies. Win 7 Pro stickers. Missing a few drive bay covers, otherwise they look to be in ok shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

El Jebus posted:

Yeah, acoustic is a completely different beast. I started on a cheap Yamaha but now I've got a low-mid range Taylor and the difference is astronomical in quality. Under $500 is generally for a beginner to see if they want to keep playing an acoustic, then move on to sub $1500 for a good acoustic that will last a while and sound and feel good. When I have the cash I can finally move onto the sub $5k professional range with Bourgeois and Thompson and other high end hand made guitars. Thompson makes pre war style dreadnoughts that sound and feel amazing. I never thought there was that big of a difference between my $1500 Taylor and the more expensive acoustics but after playing for 15 years I can tell the difference pretty quickly.

I mean feel and sound from a player perspective, I doubt I could tell much difference just listening to them all.
That's crazy. I spent $300 on a takamine acoustic over 10 years ago and it still sounds awesome. You doñt have to spend anywhere near $1500 to buy an amazing guitar that lasts.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Cage posted:

That's crazy. I spent $300 on a takamine acoustic over 10 years ago and it still sounds awesome. You doñt have to spend anywhere near $1500 to buy an amazing guitar that lasts.

I didn't put a lower limit for just that reason. And I haven't played every guitar nor am I a master of discerning sound quality. And personal preference has a lot to do with it. But I do think there is a point where you would probably be able to tell the difference in quality if you sat down with some more expensive models. I think that point is around $1500.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I call this piece "stalking el jebus, aka the culture that tells us $1200 is reasonable for a stroller"

Meant to just go a mile to the grocery store today, but traffic was backed up. One thing lead to another and I ended up 90m away and in the palm desert :v:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

iwentdoodie posted:

I call this piece "stalking el jebus, aka the culture that tells us $1200 is reasonable for a stroller"

Meant to just go a mile to the grocery store today, but traffic was backed up. One thing lead to another and I ended up 90m away and in the palm desert :v:

Does the stroller massage your child and teach it Spanish and Mandarin? I have no idea how much those cost as I have no kids but that seems like a lot.

Did you go back up 74? Best road around unless you off-road up into Joshua tree. If you are still in the area tomorrow I'll buy you a beer!

Edit: also, I'm to the right of that picture, in Indio, across I10.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

El Jebus posted:

Does the stroller massage your child and teach it Spanish and Mandarin? I have no idea how much those cost as I have no kids but that seems like a lot.

Did you go back up 74? Best road around unless you off-road up into Joshua tree. If you are still in the area tomorrow I'll buy you a beer!

Edit: also, I'm to the right of that picture, in Indio, across I10.

It's a joke about eyebeem. He lived in Palm springs and bragged about it.

I headed from Murrieta out 74 to the desert then just came back up 74 and then 371 to spice things up. I'd go back out tomorrow and take you up on that, but fuckkkkk weekend traffic that way. Maybe next weekend, shouldn't be as much traffic :v:

Edit: also to add on to a previous discussion, passed 6 hells angels around mountain center, heading toward the coast. At least they all waved.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 31, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Instead of my car smelling like lovely pizza and wings, it now smells like... steaks. :swoon: My god, I had no idea some of these restaurants existed.... or how expensive they could be.

DoorDash worked out pretty good tonight. $103 take-home, not counting cash tips. 5 hour shift, and only spent about 20 minutes idle. Sadly there's no hourly pay, but if you factor in what I made per hour at Pizza Hut, it's a little bit more than what I would have made at Pizza Hut (for far less work). I did have to wait about 30 minutes at one restaurant for an $80 order of sushi, but the place was packed.

Definitely can't make it my primary source of income, but it's something to pay the bills until I get something else lined up - and I'm not stuck cooking, answering phones, washing dishes, etc. I did get the feeling that nobody had picked up the open shifts for the neighboring cities to the north that were still showing as available in the app today, as I wound up with a couple of orders out that way.

Downside: I have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday for credit card tips + my portion of the delivery fee to be deposited into my bank account, so it's not a cash in my pocket every day job. Upside is I have enough cash to handle gas and food until then.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Your day sounds much better than mine. Too cold to run with the top down, it was my tenth close shift in a row, and I made less than 40 dollars in tips despite driving around 120 miles. :smith:

At least I get my first a day off in 2 weeks on monday. Assuming nobody else quits and we arent busy. :unsmith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Well, the downside is the hours are inconsistent - I have to keep checking for available shifts via the app, and I prefer to work one specific area. I have 4 scheduled shifts in the next week - Sat (short dinner shift), Nov 4 (longer dinner shift), Nov 6 (longer dinner shift), Nov 8 (ditto). I can snag shifts in other areas, but my preferred area is both close to home and one of the most established with the company (locally).

I can start my shift up to 15 minutes early though, and can start it as soon as I'm inside of the delivery area (which starts about 2 miles from home).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Hey snapchatters... Snapchat now owns your dick pics: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...the-device.html

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

We always knew this day would come.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Hey snapchatters... Snapchat now owns your dick pics: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...the-device.html

They don't have servers big enough for mine :colbert:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Jokes on them HEH

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

meatpimp posted:

It's not like I snap chat anything interesting in the first place.

The videos and pics on snap chat aren't exactly the highest quality, they're pretty compressed, I don't see the images being used for any real advertising, maybe used for those "hot girls local to YOU" spam ads, except now they'll actually have people you may know :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
To be quite candid, it is the Santa Monica Freeway which gives me the shivers. In the Miata, I take surface streets to avoid it. I have an older 3 series BMW which I use for the freeways here. The freeways are truly dangerous. The Canyons not so much if you are sensible about driving them. Remember this is high desert, so the sight lines are often very long. You can see sometimes a road cut into the side of a mountain for a mile ahead, and whether it has any cars on it.

I am interested in the limits of traction. This is true. The standard texts on car handling tell us that you get the greatest grip when the wheels are slipping about 5% to 8%. And a Miata comes alive when you push the car into this zone. Oversteer on trailing throttle starts to happen in interesting ways. Understeer emerges when you come out of a turn. The chassis lofts slightly as the center of pressure crosses over the center of mass as you go through a series of S turns. The chassis dynamics become vibrant.

In order to explore these dynamics safely on our very empty canyons, you need to dumb down the suspension a little. Using a narrower tire and a harder tire than is used for competition, the zone of 3% to 5% slip is approached far more predictably than with a wider and sticker tire. I have learned a great deal more by driving on all season tires than I have with Star Specs or Azenis. The Star Specs are fun. They really are. The car just goes where you point it, but you need to be at much higher speeds to get into the interesting dynamic zone with such a grippy tire. So just as our mountains are very a different deal from mountains like The Blue Ridges, where sight lines are short and traffic is significant, so is canyon driving different from driving on a track. The point is not to drive fast. The point is to drive cleanly. It is a different deal.

I am looking for light weight wheels that I can drive on marginal roads. I want wheels I don't have to Magnaflux to know if they are safe. And I don't want to keep a log book on them in order to cycle them out after 100 hours. As a general rule, the OEM wheels take this kind of abuse. They have to. And if I want to access the greater range of tires which are available with 15" rims, perhaps the Miata five spoke, NB, 15x6 is a good choice. Not sexy, but bomb proof.

Sitting across from me, here in the living room is another 15" wheel, cast in Italy, also bomb proof. This is the Imola wheel. That wheel is a whole pound lighter than the Miata NB 5 spoke, and a 1/2" narrower. Is the pound of weight worth the 1/2"? It depends on what you are doing. On bad pavement, rebound speed is really important. It does not matter how wide your tire is when the suspension cannot keep the tire in contact with the pavement.

A third choice is a forged wheel like the Ray Volks T37 or the BBS RG-F. These wheels are really strong and because they are forged, not cast, they do not have the same susceptibility to brittle fracture. The Japanese market takes smaller cars very seriously, and so the JDM products like Ray Volks were designed for our cars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

I am interested in the limits of traction. This is true. The standard texts on car handling tell us that you get the greatest grip when the wheels are slipping about 5% to 8%. And a Miata comes alive when you push the car into this zone.

For some reason I am imagining this guy wearing really ugly pants.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How do you feel about Compomotives?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Monitors? Hey guys, let me tell you about my 5K iMac:siren:

But seriously :iia: and I've really enjoyed the time I have spent on it.

Last night we went to a masquerade ball that was at a fancy French restaurant. My aunt and uncle hosted it. It was seriously off the hook how much of a good time it was, can't imagine what it ran them, but they are the kindest and most generous people ever.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

InitialDave posted:

These forums are places where people share ideas and let others react. It is not necessarily a comfortable process, but the 'hive mind' of Forums such as this one, do tend to turn over an awful lot of rocks. There are some remarkably well trained people on this specific Forum, and if the idea is tendered in the right way, they will tell what they know.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Finally found a replacement for my MS3. :iia: Picking it up tomorrow.

First order of business is tint and a C6 shifter because the current one is hot garbage.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

We're getting more Corvettes in the forum. That's a good thing. Also, y'all are getting old.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Damnit. Got the ps2 hooked up and working last night. CDROM just packed it in. Only wanted to play through mgs1,2,3 but might opt instead to buy the "HD" rerelease of 2,3 for the ps3. Bummer, but not worth replacing.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just ripped a fart that sounded like running a live duck througb an extremely rusty Midwest hay baler

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

ssjonizuka posted:

Damnit. Got the ps2 hooked up and working last night. CDROM just packed it in. Only wanted to play through mgs1,2,3 but might opt instead to buy the "HD" rerelease of 2,3 for the ps3. Bummer, but not worth replacing.

Fat PS2 or slim? If it's older, fat one, you can mod it to play games off of a hard drive.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mariooncrack posted:

Fat PS2 or slim? If it's older, fat one, you can mod it to play games off of a hard drive.

14 INCH DICK posted:

I just ripped a fart that sounded like running a live duck througb an extremely rusty Midwest hay baler

Too bad your boss wasn't around for this one, eh?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

mariooncrack posted:

Slim, in my case.

Thanks though.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
PSA: avoid party city locations for the next 8 hours. It's much, much worse than you think.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

scuz posted:

PSA: avoid party city locations for the next 8 hours. It's much, much worse than you think.

why what's going on

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MrChips posted:

why what's going on

Last minuted Halloween, I'd assume.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

leica posted:

For some reason I am imagining this guy wearing really ugly pants.

I dunno the miata isn't as otaku as the TURBROOO 300ZZZZXXXXX

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Raluek posted:

Too bad your boss wasn't around for this one, eh?
Well, if you refer to the color coded transparency slides and over lay them with the Seattle greater metropolitan area map provided by the Federal Civil Defense Authority disaster relief packet, I believe you'll find that the definition of "around" is rather more flexible than one would normally think. I always liked the slide rule chart in the back explaining how one mere burrito's weight in active core material can change a harmless air burst into your last moments on this earth being in pitch blackness alone and in pain and screaming as you and everyone else for miles around claw yourselves burned blind and dying from the irradiated and toxic rubble of what used to be your life. The serious collectors know it by its far more cheerful nickname as the The Reds hit Green and you're feeling Blue? Here's what to do! guide.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
hahaha nailed him even though he was off the clock, very impressive.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

InitialDave posted:

You are welcome. I am getting a lot of push back on this, however, I am also learning a lot. The information about JDM wheels is especially interesting.

Disagreeing in public, with a Forum Sponsor and a local hero, seems to be seen by some as the equivalent of walking in to a church, pulling out your junk, and emptying your bladder in the baptismal font. My intent was never to offend anyone. I am interested in a special problem, and as vigorously as some of you disagree with me, you are providing useful information.

Daily rock fall is a fact of driving in geologically active areas, just like snow, ice and black ice are facts of driving in Minnesota. There are ways to manage the risk with snow and ice. These include all wheel drive, snow tires, and where the law allows it, tire studs. Similarly, there are ways to manage the rock problem.

The solution space includes strong wheels, and wheels with a design which will bend rather than break. And that pushes the solution towards OEM wheels (e.g. NB 5 spoke 15x6), which are cheap and plentiful. There is another solution space in the direction of forged wheels, which in 15" sizes are relatively exotic.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Finally got the cam pulley off and pulled the rocker arms. Then I spent 30 minutes pushing about 75 feet of paracord through the spark plug hole to keep the valves from falling in. Then I fought my lovely loving harbor freight valve compressor and utterly failed to remove a single spring. Is there a special trick, or do I just need a different tool? Probably doesn't help my truck has two springs on each valve, a smaller one inside a bigger one.

Edit: gently caress this rope thing btw, "just as fast as using compressed air" my rear end. I'm shopping craigslist for air compressors now, how do you tell if ones good or if it's going to blow up and kill you?

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 31, 2015

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
A coupla pictures --
super nice Land Cruiser outside the AM dealer:

They work on a variety of vintage cars and have a Ferrari tech, hence why I was there.

I suppose somebody has to get this plate:

Bonus car in background, which I didn't notice when I snapped it.

meatpimp posted:

We're getting more Corvettes in the forum. That's a good thing. Also, y'all are getting old.

Yeah, when I sold the Vette, I was like, well, at least I don't have to be that guy in his 30s with the Corvette any more.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, when I sold the Vette, I was like, well, at least I don't have to be that guy in his 30s with the Corvette any more.

I'm 31, haha. Oh well. I dealt with the "lol Miata" insults when I had one, I can deal with the grey hair insults.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Every sports car has it's insults. Some more than others, but you'll never escape it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I went to a local brewery's Halloween party this afternoon. There was a girl there dressed as Immortan Joe and unfortunately not enough Fury Road fans around to appreciate it.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

There was a Mad Max chick at the bar by me last night, she walked over to some guy and started talking to him and he asked who she was supposed to be. She said "I'm Mad Max!" and he said "....who?"

My girlfriend later told her that I appreciated her costume :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'd just like to mention to the people who got concerned my sad brains posting in the Civic thread was beginning to stare just a tiny hair too deeply into the abyss, the thought pattern my mind went down after the Federal Civil Defense Farts was one of those days that makes life worth living trapped in my head. Naturally it kicked me down a 'Dr. Buttlove: or How I learned to stop worrying when I dropped a bomb' tangent which despite such entertaining gems like "Have you ever seen a commie use toilet paper, Mandrake? I only wipe with distilled water and pure grain alchohol," "a fella could have a pretty good time in Vegas with all this," "Wing Attack Plan FART," and MEIN FUHRER IT CAN TALK *phhjhjnrrryyyyyyyttttt*" wasn't even the poop de resistance of the day.

The true glittering corn jewel was the stream of consciousness no holds barred intellectual slap fight of two tag wearing helmet bearing patched in members of the tard club attempt to recreate the 8 mile rap battle minus the rap and stretching so far outside of even my already esoteric box I had Kirk Johnson hitting me up for training tips. I tried holding onto fragments of memory that were already slipping away like that dream you keep having but will always lose between the time you open your eyes and the time your fingers grab the pen by the bed. And like I said there was so much rapid fire double bonus feud round poo poo flying this took up a solid 20 minutes just going blow for blow like if doomsday and supes decided to for that one day debate the scientific order behind the taxonomy and royal bloodlines of pen collecting, with Bizarro butting in randomly about FEMA ink camps and the New Pen Order.

I basically started with my coworker saying his girl brought him some Starbucks Coffee that had him so jacked he wanted to go to a club tonight and use 'his game' to rule the place and I said bro the club is like a retirement home for young people shuffling around with hosed up clothes and nobody can hear anything and the food is poo poo and your game is missing almost all the pieces yet has thst loving monopoly dog. I then led the assault with "so what I'm saying is your poo poo is whack, as the kids these days are saying, so ditch that bitch rear end coffee poo poo and step up to the big boy table and come do hot rails with me behind the truck stop in my sleeper cab with one and a half passed out or otherwise lot lizards" which led to the counter argument which got into sides being drawn between iPads and Battleship and which one will work after the great collapse, if crack can be whack so can his poo poo, somehow got involved with ww2 for cannibalism which I was like go back even further dog, its called the Donner party. Its all kinds of my poo poo when you're on my level kicking it old school at your party where you loving eat people, reagan got invoked somehow, as well as the metric system, endangered species hunting and about three dozen other back and forth ripostes I simply couldn't keep track of. Which eventually lead me back to say "and THAT'S why your coffee game poo poo is whack and you will never be on my level." Which probably doesn't help dispel the idea that people seem to believe I'm some full blown tweaker, it's pretty hilarious how closely the middle grips of a manic swing can line up and is probably how my Adderall script slows me down mentally.

Oh also there was the whole banging goats all owned by this one dude for six bucks an hour so you can get one tiny shard to hit before it's back to the bangatorium and let me loving tell you you thank your god damned stars he don't roll with lamas cause that poo poo gets inside your comfort zone being all whacky Disney animal and it turns out to be some dead eyed south American cartel member who spits on you when he's done

• Locked thread