Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I don't do cheap tequila because of my college years. The smell still gets to me.

Speaking of school, I am trying to get into an online program from one of the local state universities. Even though I've taken 12 classes at the CC since dropping out and averaging mostly a's and b's, my GPA is still poo poo.
I too would like to have a time machine to kick young me's rear end, but I made my choices and now I'm dealing with the consequences. I should have dropped out a semester earlier, the last 2 semesters made my GPA go from low 3.x to less than a 2.0.

What's driving this? The amount of people I've seen get sick and die in my shop. I guess breathing metal and coolant for years really fucks up your insides.

Also, I need 401k help. Where do I even start? Should I just talk to whoever handles it for my company? I think it's Fidelity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Adiabatic posted:

. Check out this super helpful thread in BFC to hear exactly what I just told you in clearer words probably.

Thanks for the grown up advice guys, I'll check out the thread and get in contact with Fidelity. Sadly HR seems not very well versed in lowly hourly details.
I just have whatever standard stuff they give, but I know I can up my contributions or do Roth IRA.

I'm trying to get back to teaching myself aolidworks especially since I now have access to a 3D printer.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Holy poo poo.

That speeduino is awesome. I'm going to see if my friend with the 16v gti will let me use it for an experiment.
Hell, I might buy a couple, one for the Mazda, and one for the 600r ninja motor I have...

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

scuz posted:

We need a "crazy ideas" theorycrafting thread so I don't have to poo poo this place up with thoughts like "should I try to fit a Northstar V8 out of a '98 Cadillac into my mk4 Golf?" (CL ad that made me think about this)

Bench racing is bad, and you should feel bad.

Anything is doable with enough time and money. It's not our car, so it's not our choice on to whether or not you should.

E: Just got the word, E24 is going to the booth Thursday!!!

mafoose fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 5, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Doesn't bandman repair appliances and he recommends speed queens?

From what he's said on the thread about them, they will likely be what I buy when these Kenmores break.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Woah.

I just gained 28gigs from doing disk cleanup. This build has been so rock solid, all I've ever done is blown out the insides a few times with air.

4 years old at this point. Plays Mad Max real nice at 1080p, only slows down if there is a lot of chain link shadows. Looking at some components, might just do ram, GPU, and a big ssd.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Your BiL sounds like a typical TV brainwashed idiot.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Let's see if the same can be said for my bus today with the oil cooler. I don't know what it is but I can't get the two cooler sealing rings to seat right, even with judicious applications of RTV around the outer circumference of the rings to help hold them in place.

Try not using rtv, use new crush washers, and lap the fittings and sealing surfaces until flat. I usually keep a small stone around for this.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

jamal posted:

I'm actually a white guy.

Lies!

I just don't know what to believe in anymore.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Trying out vidku. Added you Adam as Mafoose

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I'm surprised nobody posted it here but it's too late as most poo poo is gone, but summit has all the sunpro stuff on clearance.

I missed out on a $17 egt gauge...

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Most of my coworkers and some of my friends do it. I can't find a holster I'm comfortable with to do it, so I just put the gun in my pocket when I go pick things up on Craigslist if I'm going by myself.

My wife hates guns, but I like having it after some sketchy CL encounters and all of the horror stories I've read on Facebook. I work opposite of all my friends so I rarely have someone I can ask to go with me.

E: you're no longer a bartender?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Harnesses are great, we walk both of the dogs with them.

The wife will take the husky jogging in the winter with it as well. He doesn't really need it now, he's a loving saint on a leash.

The only annoying part is he literally reverses INTO a bush to poo poo in it, so you can't clean it up.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

Yeah I can imagine :(

I chatted with her and I guess she doesn't like Subarus because they look like kids cars and also because being a red blooded American girl raised in Michigan, she doesn't like Japanese cars (but is okay with German for whatever reason)

Anyways she's okay with a happy medium of hatchbacks like the Focus RS (not going to be an option for a while) or the smaller Audi wagons.

I have a few years before I need to worry about it so oh well

Aren't most of the Subaru's in that era built in Indiana? They're definitely more (north) American than anything kraut.

Does Volvo still do the rear facing seats?

Also if you get a 2nd+ gen Forester in upper level trims where everything is actually painted, they look much more grown up.
Do they still make legacy wagons? Those always looked good.

If you're planning on buying something older that you'll be working on, get something you can actually work on.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I really enjoyed my parent's base 2.5l Forester.

Tusen Takk posted:

Edit: man I owe you a beer

:fap:
If I'm ever in Michigan I'll take you up on it!

There's a few quirks to know about awd Subaru's. I don't think it's enough to shy away from them, especially compared to anything that's awd and German.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

So the roofer has pushed my appointment back 5 weeks, is now appearing to be dodging my calls, and has $3300 of my money.

What do I do AI?!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

meatpimp posted:

This, and make a police report.

Well, and not give people big chunks of cash without checking the poo poo out of their background.

They have a good reviews and an A+ BBB rating (which I know could still mean poo poo).

leica posted:

Kinda surprised people are still paying money up front with no work being done these days.

Kinda made sense since it's not like they stock every color of shingles.

And gently caress me for being a naive first time home owner.

piss boner posted:

You never pay in advance for repairs. I had my roof done this year and that was one of my top questions when taking bids.

1. Show me your license & insurance.
2. Do I pay before or after?
3. References.

The one I went with was 2k more than the cheapest but met all the requirements. You don't want to be liable if some chucklefuck falls off your roof and you never pay in advance.

gently caress. I should have asked for more advice beforehand. They are insured/licensed/bonded and I heard about them through a family friend who is a contractor. He heard about them through his long time roofer that couldn't take on the work with all the hail damage that happened (they were only working on roofs they had originally done and were swamped).

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

jamal posted:

I think it's fair to put down a deposit for some of the parts up front. Otherwise it's easy for the person doing the work to end up in the same situation. "oh, I don't like this, it's not what I agreed to. I'm not paying."

My thoughts exactly.

Well they finally called me back (the secretary did, the owner is too chicken poo poo I guess? I was calling his phone...), and claims they had an issue with their supplier this morning so they'll be by later to drop off all the shingles.
We'll see if they actually show up.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Friend has a garage AAA, I have all of the tools. Over/under on him telling AAA that he just bought a shitheap VW then using AAA to tow it to his place, where we do an engine pull?

He just has to call, say he broke down, and that he wants it towed to his place, not a shop. They then ask him for make model and color, and then you wait. AAA might ask if you need a jump/battery/gas I usually just say I'm going to fix it myself.

He has to be there when it is picked up.

It won't be a problem with your bus, but when it's something hard to load and they actually care (like my IMSA GTU 240z), I'll tip them.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So the wife just told me that a coworker is looking to get rid of his '87 Toyota pickup as he upgraded to a '90. I know nothing about it except for the price.

$400.

I'm thinking about it...

That's way below market value here unless it has rusted in half!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

How terrible of an idea is something like this?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5269855144.html

If all goes well, we'll have a nice chunk of our debt paid off next summer (everything minus house and her student loan), and the wife and I are thinking of getting something old and a little different. We were thinking of old American cars but prices are absolutely off the wall for nice cruisers.

It can't be all bad right? I would imagine other than the body and interior, they probably sourced parts from bigger marks right? The idea would be to install efi and an updated AC system and just cruise.

Phone posted:

I'm loving done; holy poo poo. For reference, the BP4W head on the 99-00 Miatas flow 200CFM.

At what lift are these numbers from? Or did I miss the point of this post?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Phone posted:

The head was flow tested; standard 28"Hg test, etc.

Some dude just rolls up and goes "yeah, that ought to make 225hp" out of nowhere. No context, no reasoning, no indication where he pulled 225hp out of his rear end from. Like these are the same people where you post an A/B dyno graph, and the response is "yeah, well I feel like the slower thing is actually faster".

OK, I got that last part (why do you still go on m.net again?), but at how many inches of lift was that flow number at? I'm actually pretty interested in seeing how it flows, because that's pretty low.

Hmm

InitialDave posted:

The engine is RR's own (all-aluminium V8), but the transmission is a TH400. Not sure if the IRS setup shares a diff with something else, or if it's proprietary.

Also self-levelling suspension linked into the braking system is something these came with, and while I believe that a seventies one only has rear self-levelling, it still makes me think :can:.

Are the engines reliable?
Does anyone make a kit to remove the self leveling suspension? At least it's pre computer age, so in theory, an airbag system retrofit might be the way to go.

Any good online sources for information?

Enourmo posted:

Well the engine is unique, but wiki says trans is a GM THM400 so parts should be pretty common for that. Also says hydraulics (brakes/rear leveling suspension) are from Citroen, which may be a bit harder to find parts for in the states, and no idea if there's any actual parts commonality regardless.

I'd save up at least double that before buying just to cover maintenance expenses.

Hmm all valid points, but I have no issues with modifying it, if need be, to keep it on the road. Part availability does scare me to some extent, especially if RR is the only source for consumables. That's why I was wondering about interchangeability.

quote:

That said, if you can swing it, that would be one stylish as hell ride.
This is what we're going for, mechanicals be damned, and why is be modernizing part of it.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

Engines are stone reliable. the carbs? they're pissy.
You shouldn't ever see issues outta the trans, btw the hard parts vehicles, ific to rolls, even though its a TH400, the gears are cut for quiet operation.
the sls removal? fat chance kid. You'd better be loving good with a welder and bending brake lines. checkout the dual front calipers.
Trailing arm rear btw.
FYI the first revision (think non ca smog models) have shittier window lift motors and electrical in general.
What makes the sls so difficult to remove? Packaging?
What's the cut off for first revision cars?

quote:

If you want details on converting the brakes, or swapping to a GM mill, you probably should PM me and invest in the following:
1. gas axe
2. 220V mig, capable of welding 1/4 or better
3. access to a water jet or a cnc.
4. $$$ and hours.

Right now I'm just trying to get more information on the vehicles, nothing is set in stone currently.

1. Own one, thinking of buying a plasma torch
2. Don't have a 220v mig but do have a 300amp TIG and access to a bigger mig machine
3. Access to both currently
4. Hoping to apply for journeyman machinist early next year, time is the biggest problem.

cursedshitbox posted:

just grab a 80s intake and slam on it and convert it to CIS-E.

E: get the dizzy parts too, those old fucks have points.

I'm thinking full EFI retrofit including spark control. If they have a bolt on cis-e manifold, you can install injectors into it with the appropriate sized oring, then I would just have to weld the stand offs and machine a fuel rail. I've helped do this on a Volvo.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

CSB, thanks for the info. I just looked through that rrsilvershadow site and holy poo poo is that system complicated. From what I can gather, newer cars didn't have a brake master cylinder?

When you go hydroboost, does it output lower pressure to the power steering? Supposedly one of the reasons people don't do rack and pinion retrofits on old BMWs if because they run at too high of pressure with the stock hydroboost setup.

cursedshitbox posted:

My plans were to use a hydroboost setup and keep it under the floor as I need every cc of underhood space I can get.

What on earth are you working on? V12 swap? V16? Detroit diesel?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

almost a year ago I started drawing up plans for a 4x4 live axle diesel powered rolls sitting on active suspension.

That sounds loving epic.

You can make something like it on mad max haha!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Turbo and 9.5:1? That sounds like a blast!

trouser chili posted:

I'm eating that right now. Today I'm somewhere below 230lbs, been losing roughly 1.5lbs per week. I don't measure myself often though. I'm also walking a lot now. A good night is 5 miles, but most nights I'm lucky to get a mile in.

Carrots and corn? Two of the veggies I hate the most... That sucks dude!

LloydDobler posted:

Jesus Christ, most depressing day of chat posting ever.

I too am divorced from a narcissistic fitness freak who found me unattractive when I hit 6' 200lb. Unfortunately I am now way fatter than that. I am also chronically depressed and drink 3-4 times a week to try and pretend I'm not. Ironically I'm still way happier than when I was married. I'm 44 and I made a decision that by the time I am 45 I will be on the road to being under 200 lb again. I also will probably not achieve this goal.

Bloodbag, someone in your house needs to get a second job and it isn't you.

You all are making me self conscious. I know I'm chubby, I've been at 215 for like 4 years now (5'8")...
Bloodbag, I wish I could send you a hug. I hope you can get through to your wife.
LloydDobler, you seem like a cool dude too, and you have some bad rear end projects, I hope things turn around for you!
To anyone else I missed, I hope things get better for you too!

I started riding my roadbike but I can't loving stand the saddle. Any recommendations for a saddle and some bars? It's kinda like a hybrid bike, I built it with parts I got in trades, craigslist, and the bike coop. Wouldn't mind some drop bars, I'm not looking for the best, just something to be a bit more comfortable.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

88h88 posted:

Superstition is my favourite so far, it's real easy to drink.

Yamazaki 12yr is a good place to start. Nikka stuff is also real nice.

Two of my favorites!
I prefer my drink doesn't taste like they forgot about it in a burning building.

Speyside stuff is tasty as gently caress.

Current favorite American bourbon is Labrot & Graham Woodford Reserve.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

kastein posted:

Holy gently caress holy gently caress holy gently caress :aaa:

LOOK AT ALL THESE TREASURES

JUST LOOK AT THEM

I can only begin to imagine what I am going to build with all of these.

That's so awesome!!!
Could you spare a few?
:v:

On the union front, I'm one of those guys who's not in it and gets the benefits. I just can't stand the idea of joining it because of the people in charge and those whom the choose to defend. That lawyer union with performance based raises sounds loving amazing though, and would love a system like that.

For me, all that my hard work has earned is more work.

I could just be like one of the typical union fuckwits here that sit around all goddamn day not doing a single loving thing making $5/hr more than me just because they've been here longer. It feels even better when I'm told I have to train them.

They just renegotiated the contract last weekend but I have no idea what the changes are because of how vague and cryptic they are about the whole thing (even to members). It's such a freak show of who's buddy buddy with who. Same company in Texas where they aren't unionized is on a 9/80 schedule, and their machinists supposedly make $5-10/hr more than we do here.

"But if it wasn't for the union I probably wouldn't be here."
Well, yea. Because you're a lazy piece of poo poo.
This union has been poisoned from the inside and could use a good cleaning.

The wife is helping me make a tanooki suit for Halloween. She's going as Toad, my friend as Shy Guy and his girl as Dry Bones. Pretty much who we play as in Mario kart haha.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

BloodBag posted:

Her side gig is selling stuff on etsy. We have a show coming up in december that she's already all set up for. She has no college degree so advancement is a bit...tougher for her.

Does she actually make money with this? The wife does this and we netted (-)$1700 last year...

Are you near McKinney? Raytheon has a machine shop there and they're pretty much always hiring. CMM guys make a lot of money there.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Unrelated to all of the above: Apparently Hot Rod Drag Weekend starts... tomorrow. Freiburger is, according to Glympse, sitting at a gas station in Blythe and about to embark on the second half of what is probably my most hated drive, the I10 between LA and Phoenix. It's just straight, boring, nothing to look at, gently caress all for hills and curves, and high traffic on only two lanes.

I was hoping Finnegan would be there too, mostly so I could talk poo poo about the rotsun in person. I'm going to try and make it out there for a little before work, but I'll definitely be there Thursday!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I spent $50 on my 24" HP something or another as it was surplused from my work.

It does just fine for gaming and CAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

How much are the workstations going for?
Anyone local to the spyder willing to coordinate shipping?

I'm supposed to go pick up the newly painted 635CSI from the painters and it refuses to start now... Motherfucker.

• Locked thread