Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Oh neat, my hometown is in the news!

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

while we are at it we should probably make killing people illegal. I don't know how that loophole hasn't been closed yet.

You obviously hate the american way of life.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Okay fine I'll do this Vidku thing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

I don't have enough experience and startups generally are looking for hyper experienced people, otherwise i'd be all over that :getin:

There's a lot of finger-wagging in the industry about that. Yeah startups need experienced people, but 10 out of your first 10 hires don't need to be architects. There's a place in startups for fresh-out-of school folks who are willing to learn the new hotness languages / frameworks / datastores for only like $50k vs $100k.

If you're still in school, learn how to work as a team in Git (or SVN, or Perforce, or Visual Studio Team Whatever), learn test-driven development, and at least have a halfway decent concept of agile methodologies before you graduate. That'll put you ahead of most of your graduating cohort.

Hell, if you want to blow some people away, learn how to automatically build Docker images and build a small cluster using Puppet / Chef / SaltStack. Put that poo poo in your cover letter / on your resume.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Man, what the hell is it with business travel and the lack of free WiFi? Neither the hotel my company likes to put me up in, nor the one across the street has it (unless you count putting fake email addresses in the xfinity complimentary one hour box).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

keykey posted:

I feel the same way about bowling, golf, cards, chess, target shooting, and video games. If you can't get get physically exhausted from doing it, it's not a sport.

The worse shape you're in, the more things count as sports!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Phone posted:

Driving canyons is nothing like driving a track. If you are in a sufficiently remote area, you can spend a lot of time at the limits of traction without compromising public safety in any meaningful way. The roads are hugely varied on surface quality, and often have a light layer of dust on them covering the center strip. So a light wheel and tire and somewhat soft springs are better to comply with the surface roughness.

I have broken two wheels up on the Angeles Crest. The first wheel was on an Audi A4. The second was on a Miata. So a strong wheel is necessary. The challenge is a bit like autocross with cones made out of granite. So strong wheels are good. And so is a really light wheel. Wider tires do not actually help all that much because they tend to skate on the dust, and are more shocking when they suddenly grip.

Regarding wheels: Daisy's with Azenis or Star Specs are pretty good at 12.4 pounds, and they are hugely strong. I have been looking for a 15" wheel for a while now. But the lighter after market ones [e.g. 6ULs] are not strong. I thought serious about OEM NB 5 spoke wheels in 15x6, and that is a good choice, or Kosei K8Rs in 15x7, which may be a little fragile, but come in at 11.9 pounds. There are Spec Miata wheels, like the Podiums and the Jongbloeds, but those have the wrong off-set for the street.

And then I found this wheel which is so little used on Miata, which looks really interesting. That is the Mini "Imola" wheel, which was made for only a few years in the introductory phase of the car. The wheel is a production BWM Mini wheel, so it is really strong. At 12 pounds it is quite light. The off-set at 45mm is perfect for an NA, and can be nudged out from there if desired with spacer.

The shape is kind of fun. Alfa Romeo used this perforated disk shape a lot, as did Porsche.

The only down side is that it is a bit narrow at 15x5.5. Still this will take a 195/50R15 tire without any problems. And that is the fattest tire I want on the car for Canyon Driving. And I come in at 30 pounds for wheel and tire together.

If I were to go down to 195/45R15 the T1R tire is an option, I lose another unsprung pound per corner and those are really inexpensive. Since I only get about 4,000 miles UTQG 200 tire, and perhaps 8,000 to 10,000 out of a UTQG 460 tire, I figure that I leave 10 or 15 dollars worth of rubber behind every time I head up into those mountains.

We'll see . . .

Did I miss a post, or did you post this in the wrong thread?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Y'all, it's just computer monitors, jesus christ. I spent maybe a hundred and twenty bucks total on both of my monitors last year, and I use them every work day for at least eight hours. I don't even know how to spell what looks like "ƛ0C". Whatever BraveUlysses got is fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

We always knew this day would come.

• Locked thread