Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

Things TT will do when he has :10bux: :
- buy a Mad Max themed avatar
- buy a Subaru Forester XT

About the same price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Wow... AI goes back to school. I'm getting sick of my job as well, so starting soon I am getting back to welding. I enjoy it, I plan to work in a shop or something similar.

I already have the 4 year degree thing, but I find office work hell. I'd rather stab myself in the dick than sit at a desk.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
My 401k has been doing OK. Not fabulous, but I insulated myself from the last shock. I have been doing moderate (which really at 32, I should be more aggressive) But gently caress it. No one has a crystal ball.

Back to school chat - I think I may be lucky enough to just pay for a giant majority of my learnin' in cash and I was wondering where it all came from.... I haven't bought a car this year..... strange connection.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Lucky fuckers - we don't get a 401k match if you're and agreement employee. Even non agreement only gets 5% match. But they do contribute to our own pension, which works out to be ... 15-17% (I haven't done the math)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Stop by my Facebook page to see a shower get ripped out!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

What's wrong with my tranny? I don't mean my dickgirl, I mean the gearbox in my '04 GTP. A 4t65e-hd to be specific. It started not shifting properly a month or so ago. Not kicking up or down and revving higher than normal at highway speed.

Last weekend I drained it, changed the filter and filled it with fresh dex 6. It immediately ran perfect and did so for about 3 days and then went back to the way it was before. If it's a mechanical problem I don't understand how it can go from hosed to fine with a fluid change and then back again.

This is a professionally rebuilt tranny I had installed by a good shop about a year and a half and around 55k miles ago. Of course the warranty was good for 2 years. No abuse aside from the usual flooring up highway ramps and what not. Any ideas before I take it back to the shop to find out how hosed I am?

Edit: That's a drag Rhyno :( Stiff upper lip man.

Fwiw the over drive drum likes to poo poo themselves on these trannys. There's a few you tube how to replace the drum, give them a look over.

But sounds like your tranny is hosed.

Also sorry rhyno, death blows, and I know neither one of us likes dealing with it, so I know the spot your in.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
gently caress all previous owners.

Edit: don't handle purple primer with open cuts folks. It hurts to holy hell.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 4, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

Security guard at a beach resort. I'm pretty much an adult babysitter, yay.

What time of year is best to visit to avoid the mentally challenged?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

Funny enough, October is the best time, but honestly it's hard to predict when you're gonna get amateurs that don't know how to act in public.

cool, when we get a trip planned out, I will be in touch about the better places to go. I just want to avoid the tourists as much as possible.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Geirskogul posted:

Guys! I learned magic today. Apparently, you can take electricity...

Put it in a magic box,

gently caress around with it a bit

And eventually stick metal together with it!

This changes everything.

Ditch the flux core, get a bottle and be prepared to be razzle dazzled. My ho hun welds have really become a million times better. Still messing with sheet metal, but I'm slowly getting it down. But play with all the wire speeds and settings, write them down when you find the perfect setting.

Appliance chat: the answer is speed queen. I got a set of maytag commercials for 300 bucks (hey they are in perfect shape and only 3 years old) but when they poo poo, speed queen it is.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Finally. I got a drain that wont leak in my shower. Its all put in and not leaking. Surround will go up tomorrow.

gently caress yes bitches. gently caress yes.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I also ditched the use of silicone this time. My father in laws friend that has been doing plumbing since they invented the pipe said to use plumbers putty. That way if there ever needs to be work done, it can be easily taken apart to be repaired and new put in.

With a proper ring of putty, the "wing-tite" drain system its in and works perfectly.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

I have not been happy with putty the last couple times I've used it. I was planning on using silicone next time. What are the pros/cons?

Plumbers seem to be 50/50. The only advantage that I see is that once silicone is down, its down. Plumbers putty can be worked again or replaced easy.

Every time I have done putty, it was a slam dunk install. Silicone always fucks up some how.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Sigma X posted:

People who are past their early 20s and are still financially dependent on their parents are so loving weird to me.

you missed out on that whole economic crash didnt you?

I come from the school of thought that I don't know what goes on behind closed doors. Maybe that early 20's kid had a huge loving medical bill and is trying to get on their feet, or maybe they are just really bad with money. Either way, its not my place to judge on how people live their lives. (Even though I think universal health care should be a thing so we aren't in a loving mess like this)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Enourmo posted:

on the job training? not in this loving century.

Trade apprenticeships are about the only thing that give you OJT. Electrician, Plumber, etc... thats about it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
gently caress PREVIOUS OWNERS, gently caress PREVIOUS OWNERS, gently caress PREVIOUS OWNERS.

Good lord, this shower install has turned into a loving oval office wagon and a half. I am trying to get drywall to match up and of course nothing matches up. so my day was spend using shims, screwing and unscrewing the same god drat piece of dry wall just to try to attempt to get things to line up, only to bust a hole in another piece of drywall.

gently caress it, its getting copious amounts of drywall compound and sanding it.

Now I am the previous owner.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

You should be using greenboard or cementboard in a shower stall anyways. :yosbutt:

its green board.

its just the pain in the dick of getting every thing to match up because the shower is a retrofit. And of course, they cobbled together every thing when they did it, so nothing is matching correctly.

This is the engineering I am working with folks.

gently caress PREVIOUS OWNERS.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tommychu posted:

I'm learning not to mention that I'm a mechanic right off the bat as well. There's a huge stigma there, unless I start going after the sort of women who judge a man by the length of his lift blocks. And I'm not about to start seeking out relationships in which I'm competing with her cousin.

I am curious why there is such a stigma behind this. My wife is giddy over the fact that I can use my hands and brain to build/fix/repair poo poo. And a giant majority of her friends are jealous, always saying, "I wish my husband could do some of that stuff"

(But remember, I am now the previous owner. gently caress that shower)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

iwentdoodie posted:

My wife's friends say the same. Then actively avoid anyone who does it.

They are always complaining on money troubles and home repairs.

I don't understand how the logic works some times.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Geoj posted:

I recall said someone stating that they treat their employees like dirt and pass it off as part of their "edgy/outside the box" culture.

Jokes on them, my employer treats their employees like piss.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
It is Indiana. I've learned through Rhyno that nothings impossible.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

I bartend part time, security full time.

I have a Kel Tec 9mm with a little waist band clip that would be perfect. Also have a .38 snub nose but I don't think I'd want a holster, and it would be hard to conceal because all I wear is a t shirt and shorts.

[e] Only thing I'm worried about with the Kel Tec is it tends to jam. Think I'll need to test some different rounds through it.

Walter PK380. :colbert:

Edit: check your rounds. I had a 1911 that would cycle perfectly with full metal jackets and every thing else it would jam worse than a smuckers factory. I ended up taking it into the gun shop in town and let them work it over, worked fine ever since.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 12, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

Most stereotypes about Audis are true. Great cars if you have the time, skill and space to work on them yourself. Twin turbo cars are notorious for oil feed problems, which necessitate engine removal or subframe drop. V8 cars sound absolutely awesome, but are prone to timing chain issues. Solution? Remove motor.

Edit: Here's a picture of a timing chain setup from an S4. Note that this is the side that faces the firewall.

HAHAHHAHAHA Holy gently caress what the hell were they even thinking?

That has to be the most overly complicated timing chain I have ever seen, and I thought M62's were bad. That's on a whole other level of "gently caress you"

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Geoj posted:

"Our target market leases for two years or less and will get rid of the car long before this becomes a problem."

Also bear in mind this is coming from the same parent company that thought cheating on emissions testing was a sound business strategy so...

Don't forget 10k mile oil changes (or is it 15k?)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Comrade Flynn posted:

State Farm has been great to me. $120/mo to insure a car that MSRP'd for $350,000? Sure.

They have been decent to me as well. 4 cars (Range Rover is under classic car - 5000 stated value - i really need to up it, Jag is just liability), my 2 newer cars, 1 million dollar umbrella, and my wifes rings insurance, and its 136 a month.

500 deductible on both the newer cars, so its not unreasonable.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

Oh my god.

A new Dominoes opened near the store and today they came to the mall and gave away free pizzas!

And God help me I ATE THE ENTIRE THING.

I'm going to die.

Please tell me you had a Klondike bar chaser. Or a fried steak, either is acceptable.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

She hid the cooking oil so I couldn't fry the steak!

That's grounds for termination.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Milwaukee makes all sorts of beer, how the gently caress is this possible?

Also, what did you buy/look at?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The US really needs to get the gently caress over the 2nd Amendment and get some sane gun laws

But you dont understand, the NAZIS WILL GET YOU!

Do you want the King of England to come in and push you around. Huh? Do you?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MrChips posted:

I think it's time that the UK recolonised America. The land is clearly inhabited only by savages.

As long as I can get more cheap jag and land rover parts, I welcome the rule of the crown.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Forget the Nazis, we need guns to keep ourselves safe from our gubmint! The same one running black ops with B2s and drones and god only knows what kind of stealth poo poo they don't tell the public about! I need the right to have an unregistered short-barrel shotgun to keep safe!

Oh man, I forgot about that gubmint. Even though several key political figureheads have been shot and yet, they still allow the guns. I really could borrow the lobbying power of the NRA and do some good for once.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Just ate an awesome steak dinner with the in laws. loving filet the size of a small child and it was perfect. Like Rhyno would wet himself that good.

I really need a loving charcoal grill.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tusen Takk posted:

it's still weird that he told me to kiss his arse when I asked him if he was lying

i mean i know Norwegians arent always the most emotionally vocal guys you'll meet, especially if they have sadbrains, but way to cast more doubt on yourself

I've just washed my hands of the situation. If he was lying or telling the truth, I don't care to much either way, because this is an internet comedy forum. But his stories were pretty far in left field, so I took poo poo at face value.

I do feel bad for cancer, because gently caress all forms of cancer (including iron cancer)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Adiabatic posted:

They don't get jobs, though.

Even 'B" students are struggling.

Or just not having a useless degree is the key. A "C" Engineering student will have a much easier time finding work than an "A" English major.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Slow is Fast posted:

We have a bunch of super aggro craigs running around on our roof. One of them just drilled through some conduit and cut power to half a floor.

gently caress yeah.

How high are they? Are they tinting their genny's?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Fo3 posted:

Oh, so it's just some internet thing, not real life thing involving kastein.
To be fair, nearly every regular has told TT to gently caress off at least once.

He shot sand up my vagina and now I'm cranky as a 3 year old eating sprouts.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What kind of transmission problems are having?

Edit: looking at these engines - god drat, GM was not ready to give up the cam in block arrangement. I mean after killing off the 3.8, they still made an engine with a cam in the block.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 16, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Why on earth are we pounding this over and over and over? The guy faked/didn't fake, whatever he did, you guys need to quit obsessing over this poo poo.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
My post is 100% approved by myself. Seriously :v:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

some texas redneck posted:

They still do. I think all of their 4 cylinders are OHC now, their V8s are pretty much all OHV, and I think the V6s are a mix.

Even the Corvette is still rocking a cam in the block.

Why not run it in the attic? Or is going under easier?

With the no start dead, they are running all ohv engines. The v6s are mostly DOHC, maybe 1 exception. I know the new Impala is dohc V6 and turbo 4s, I'm not sure about the rest of the line up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
STR no start = north star

• Locked thread