Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Fuckening goodposters making chat threads before me

Mods plz change thread title to CHAT THREAD 21: OCTOBERFIST: LEGAL AT LAST

(yes this is the threads 21st iteration I checked last week)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

this loving principles of EE class has some of the most bass-ackwards circuit analysis i have ever heard of in my life

poo poo like an indicated current direction with a loving negative value

and i'm about to take an exam for it

i can analyze REAL circuits all day long but this poo poo with hosed up arrangements just for the sake of "CHALLENGING YOUR ABILITY" is pissing me off something awful

fuckin' college man

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

whats hosed up is i only need this class as a prerequisite for vibrations and controls. and i'm not actually learning anything that I didn't already know from physics 2, my automotive electrical classes, and said hands-on experience

everything we've learned these first six weeks can be summed up as "circuit reduction", i'm talking basic loving resistor circuits with voltage and current sources

it's a gently caress-you version of physics 2, just like dynamics is gently caress-you physics 1 and mechanics is just statics with added flavor.

God I hope thermodynamics is interesting next semester.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Adiabatic posted:

Are you sure you want to be an engineer?

well its that or loving kill myslef give up and join the army to go get blown the gently caress up overseas cause i aint cut out for blue collar work

this is basically my third attempt at college. first time i dropped out and did drugs with money i didnt loving have, second time i got a loving useless AS degree to be a mechanic which it turns out i'm loving awful at when it's other peoiples' poo poo at stake. now im trying for a fuckening grownup degree to get a job that might eventually lead to me living independently for the first time in my nearly 30 years

about the only things im cut out for are loving playing guitar and playing racecar driver and those don't loving pay unless you start when you're like 4

everything else is various degrees of mental torture that i put mhyself through to eventually get some kind of paycheck

basically my life failed like 10 loving years ago and ive jsut been continuing on autopilot ever since hoping and pretending i'd figure out a way but i'm basically loving incompetent at everything and EVERY SINGLE CAREER PATH I'VE BEEN DOWN IN MY LIFE has wound up with people asking me that question and i honestly don't think i'll ever be able to say "yes i'm sure, this is something i enjoy and am good at".

e: i'm pretty sure i bombed the goddamn test in case that wasn't v obvious. happens anytime i actually try and prepare. because i am the loving anti-human, the harder i try the worse i fail

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 1, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

basically i'm loving pissed off

pissed off that i can't go back and time andwhip loving teenage dipshit me onto a path that might actually benefit me

or at least get "him" to stop hanging out with dipshits who get you into drugs, mooch off you, then literally beat you down when you try and stand up for yourself

i have made so many bad decisions in life that where others look back fondly on their childhood/early adult years, all i see is whit hot blinding rage at would could have been, what i HAD HANDED TO ME and threw the gently caress away like a piece of poo poo who deserves to be burned alive for wasting his loving potential

i regret literally everything i've ever done in my entire life and making any different choice would have been an improvement

give me time travel so i can fix my loving life cause i'm pretty sure it's too late now

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

haha i wish i was that good, as close as i come is clipping the apex on highway offramps

i drive a loving MSP and its never even been to an autocross because i am that much of a loving poser

look at me i mostly post on a loving car forum and my sum total racing experience drag strip included could probably fit in a 10 minute youtube video

also re hard work maybe its just the poo poo jobs ive worked but in my experience working hard just makes you the go-to shop bitch that the managers take advantage of and threaten your job if you try and talk back

oh well who care's i'm 6'5" 350 lbs i'll probably be dead of heart failure before i graduate anyway (i tried working out for a few years, never felt any better about myself and ended up ragequitting when i failed a lift real bad one day)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

the worst thing about my whole mechanic poo poo is

unlike other lines of work, i can't even get a part-time job on the side to tide me over while i'm in school. any place that's actually good wants m-f 9-5 availability, and even the bottom end of the scale (sears) wasn't much better; if you didnt have full open availability you're working part time (but mostly 30+ hours a week except eveyr month or so you'd get a shift to keep your 8week average below 30. so you basically have to work fulltime for parttime benefits. and im sure all the other chain shops are like that.

having 12 credit hours and the extracurricular stuff im doing (shooting off loving model rockets wooooooooow) prety much doesnt let me work a part time job that utilizes skills i have. meaning those ~4 years were a waste and are doing me no good now. and the only jobs really open to me are retail/foodservice jobs. you look at how i act and how i talk on here and tell me if i'm loving capable of doing a job like that nowadays. (hint: no)

meanwhile my younger sisters gradueated 2-3 years ago and are both moving int oapartments with steady jobs and poo poo

why am i such a loving failure

sorry for making GBS threads up the chat thread everybody i have nowhere else to vent seeing as if i try and talk to my mom she ends up making me apologize for upsetting her, and my dad/s just a loving old school baby boomer "put your head down and work through it, don't let a completely nonfunctional brain stop you from succeeding just like i did [nevermind i never held a job more than 5 years until i was in my 50s, do as i say not as i do] and just walk into places and demand they give you a job" etc etc

anyway, happy halloween everybody!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

loving hell

there's an ASME meeting after my class tonight

i really ought to go seeing as i'm a junior ME with no connections (because community college) but i dont know if i have the mental fortitude atm

that and i've been up since 10am yesterday and it runs til 9pm tonight

go/no go?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Boy i sure do enjoy school a lot more when I'm doing design exercises rather than obtuse circuit analysis. Solidworks is actually fun.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sorry to hear about your stepdad, Rhyno. :(

So the solidworks seminar people are doing a little-mini competition. We modeled a little boat hull in class, and now we can add whatever we want to it, turn it into a yacht or whatever.

I'm leaning towards doing something like this for comedy reasons. That or a space galleon.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

but can you run a car on them

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Great Beer posted:

This was all over reddit and imgur yesterday so either your friends wife is famous or lying.

edit: Definitely lying, unless she did this 4 days ago and was just now willing to share something she was so angry about.

maybe, but if they make a post claiming responsibility then they're still endorsing that viewpoint, which makes them just as bad. :colbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So my new SSD got here, turns out you need a special cable to migrate data over on single-drive laptops... and the SSD didn't come with said cable. :doh:

On a scale of 1 to electrical fire how bad an idea is it to plug the laptop's original HDD and the SSD into 2 of my desktop's many, many empty drive bays and do the migration that way?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd either do that, or do a clean install on the new SSD.

I would but I'm too lazy to install solidworks and office again. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So my desktop decided not to play nice with the laptop hard drive; had to boot from the desktop HD and download a cloning utility to transfer the laptop drive to the SSD.

That said, all is well; this sumbitch now boots from cold to the login screen in 15 seconds flat, and Solidworks loads in just 8 seconds.

Doubling the RAM to 16GB probably doesn't hurt, either.

E: Also, the computer is now eerily quiet. Gonna have to run some poo poo in the background just to kick the fan on, it's almost unnerving.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:aaaaa:

Holy loving poo poo

And STR the emote is :suspense:. How appropriate.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

and a gibbus mod no less

events are taking place tonight

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

gnarlyhotep posted:

Hey don't forum-shame

brah you got me twisted i'm saying the big boys are coming to play

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

gnarlyhotep posted:

More like the retards your dad found in the alley are come to eat your dinner

you gonna use that motor oil?

sorry duder i just drank the last bottle my bad

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Adiabatic posted:

My cells properly respond to insulin

so you are adiabetic, then?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Also I had a rough couple years from 2012-2014 but have mostly pulled out of it.

2015: holy gently caress, life owns. It's been nothing but up since I got my license back in late 2014. House is in the best shape it's been in since I got it, met an amazing girl at an old friend's wedding and things have gone better than I ever thought possible. It's likely I'll have a heated house to live in this winter for the first time since 2010-2011, too. And I've gotten $20k in raises in two years.

realtalk i aspire to be making a post like this 5 years from now once i'm done with school and working a real job for the first time in my life (sears & dishwashing jobs don't count even though they took up 5 years of my life)

i'm really sick of being the guy who always complains about being broke and relying on his mom for literally everything and it frustrates me to no end that at 27 i still can't say i support myself. despite my meltdown last week i realize i'm making progress and have been since i quit smoking pot and hanging out with dipshits in 2008, but when I realize i'm still living in the same house and still having mommy pay all my bills despite all i've done it's really loving hard to keep all that in perspective when it amounts to jack and poo poo in my day-to-day life.

basically good on you and everyone else here who's got their poo poo somewhat together and is making poo poo work, you're an inspiration to people like me who aren't as far along to where they want to be.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cakefool posted:

Don't you own an umbrella?

umbrella keeps water off you not the ground

i wouldn't be loving with 240V stuff in the rain either

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geoj posted:

and a bachelor's plus a few years experience for entry level.

this is the poo poo that pisses me off, it literally means "you better work internships because lol we aint paying youwithout experience", which means only those who can afford to work full time for free end up in the positions, which usually means not poor people (i mean really poor, like the entire family), which reduces social mobility

i mean it's better in the engineering field where most internships are paid, but that just means it's more competitive to get in. and if you aren't able to get internships you're basically screwed, like my buddy who just graduated with no work experience and a low GPA.

on the job training? not in this loving century.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Phone posted:

Yo IOC, crown me ik of AI. Thanks.

so youve got an ND and NA parked next to each other

if you close the garage door now does that make it a NAND gate?

i'll show myself out

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

Hahahaha you're the best. :duckie:

I have been reading these chat threads for years, I always enjoy your posts because they're just regular down to earth things in your life, fjelltorsk always had something outrageous going on never seemed quite right to me. On that note what happened to the guy with the boosted protege with a mom that owned a fiesta st?

yo

("boosted" is a little strong it's just a stock MSP with a fart pipe. E: also shes selling the fist soon for a crossover on account of her new granddaughter who we found out was coming 2 weeks after she bought it, shes over a year old now and carting her around when my sister's working is getting difficult in such a small car)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

If it has a turbo its boosted :respek:

If I had a grandma that carted me around in a fiesta st growing up I would turn out alright, would be a really neat car to grow along side although as you say unpractical.

I guess I never saw you change your name, you should try to get a job in a place that either does autobody/custom work or rustproofing/detailing etc. You would be around cars everyday (but not as balls deep as a technician) but don't really need to go to school for it. Its what I did straight out of highscool before my current job and I really liked being around new tech everyday.

not much market for rustproofing in central FL. :v:

I'm at a point now where it's really hard to get a technical job like that just on account of college class hours (and having to leave time for homework/studying), just about everything like that around here is "experience required, must have own tools to start immediately, must be available m-f 9-5".

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm definitely gonna be looking for engineering internships, especially over the summers. A lot of the coops and some internships do require you be full-time as a student (12 credit hours), though, and then it's like 20 hrs a week working on top of that; i don't know if I can handle that sort of workload, I'm edging by in school as is. Plus after this semester, just due to the various prerequisite and the flow of coursework, it'll be hard for me to meet 12 credit-hours unless I take a buttload of electives and possibly even non-degree-relevant courses just to pad it out.

I'll find something, just... i need to get it in my head that it's not the deepest part of the recession like when I last looked for co-ops and I might actually be able to finish asking the question before they say "no".

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

some texas redneck posted:

Look at it this way, you have a training partner for marathons! At least until he's grown up a bit.

I try to take our dog out running with me occasionally, and he pretty much shits himself. He's scared of anything and everything (except other dogs, then he's like "OMG ANOTHER DOG I WANNA PLAYYYYYYYYY CAN I GO PLAYYYYYY?!?!?!?!?!"), and he's managed to slip out of his collar more than a few times. Thank gently caress he just runs back to the house.

He's pretty :downsgun: in general.

Our dog used to do that a lot, when she wasn't bolting under the fence.

If I ever get a dog of my own as an adult it's gonna have A) a concrete foundation under the backyard fence and B) a full-body harness for leashing (which I believe are more comfortable for them anyway as they distribute the load more.)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

wtf the gently caress happened to gbs?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

meatpimp posted:

Most stereotypes about Audis are true. Great cars if you have the time, skill and space to work on them yourself. Twin turbo cars are notorious for oil feed problems, which necessitate engine removal or subframe drop. V8 cars sound absolutely awesome, but are prone to timing chain issues. Solution? Remove motor.

Edit: Here's a picture of a timing chain setup from an S4. Note that this is the side that faces the firewall.

which would be fine if they lasted hundreds of thousands of miles like old school non-tensioner setups, but those guides wear out at like 60k. so gently caress all of that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

man since i pulled the AFC off a few weeks ago i think ive pretty much given up on ever making my car fast

it's a solid chassis but making any cost-effective power gains requires so much up front investment id be better off just selling it and buying anything with driver rear wheels

gently caress man. im attached to this car but i also want racecar.

not that it matters im like 3 years out from doing anything regardless

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Y'all drat yankees never heard of chicken fried steak? Gitdafuk outta my AI with that hate, poo poo's delicious.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I won't start the debate as those who know me on facebook probably know my stance

but regardless of your opinion I hope you agree that the "resisting government tyranny" argument for unlimited gun ownership has been laughable for about 100 years (I'm counting from when tanks and warplanes came into play; ships are nasty but at least you can go inland from those).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

leica posted:

I would own a charcoal grill for steaks alone, only way to do it imo.

Had some ribeyes tonight. So good.

charcoal is for pussy's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yO8f-fySnQ

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Moxie Omen posted:

when i bought the house i was like sweet! coax jacks in my office and living room! and then found out they don't actually have any continuity to anything...

First thing I thought of. [source]

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

well theyre based on what google thinks you want so

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tusen Takk posted:

This is some bullshit right here

idgi

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I believe some select manuals do specify ATF depending on model. But no it's not a normal thing for most cars.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mafoose posted:

How terrible of an idea is something like this?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5269855144.html

If all goes well, we'll have a nice chunk of our debt paid off next summer (everything minus house and her student loan), and the wife and I are thinking of getting something old and a little different. We were thinking of old American cars but prices are absolutely off the wall for nice cruisers.

It can't be all bad right? I would imagine other than the body and interior, they probably sourced parts from bigger marks right? The idea would be to install efi and an updated AC system and just cruise.

Well the engine is unique, but wiki says trans is a GM THM400 so parts should be pretty common for that. Also says hydraulics (brakes/rear leveling suspension) are from Citroen, which may be a bit harder to find parts for in the states, and no idea if there's any actual parts commonality regardless.

I'd save up at least double that before buying just to cover maintenance expenses.

That said, if you can swing it, that would be one stylish as hell ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Previa_fun posted:

I just read the meatpimp thread and

:catstare:

got drat.

buncha people upset about a dude doing a thing itt (in that thread)

• Locked thread