Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I want snow. We need a winter with 8-12" of good snow on the ground. I doubt it will happen this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

It's not like I was drinking Mountain Dew!

Mt. Dew and tequila?
You’re a monster.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
If you don't mind dropping some bank, this works great. But if it's only one time, it's not worth it.

http://www.apricorn.com/products/notebook-hard-drive-upgrade-kits/sata-wire-3.html

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Jumping on the gently caress Rouge bandwagon.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Geoj posted:

Is the dealer being up front regarding how much their markup will be?

I just quoted one out and I'm curious to hear if he's had any better luck. My local (very small) dealer didn't even know yet what it would be.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Is there an adhesive that's good for, says, 400F? Doesn't have to be ultra permanent like epoxy. Spray would be nice.

Adhesive or sealant? What's the materials/use?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Preoptopus posted:

10 days booze free.Withdrawal symptoms seems to be over. Starting to feel lame as everyone parties around me. Oh well I guess ill smoke a bowl and do more sit ups.

I decided to cut waaaaay back. I didn't realize I was going through a handle of whiskey every week until I checked my bank statement. Combination of work stress + life stress = decided to drown it as best I could with alcohol. It was just a bad idea all around. My body hated it and I was getting poo poo for sleep. None of the projects I've had for months were getting worked on because I was always too drunk busy after work. I think the real wake up call was something my son said about how alcohol gets you drunk. Last thing I want him remembering is me drinking my problems away. A drink here or there is fine, but I've got plenty of better things to spend $300 a month on.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

:wtc: Stepdad's new laptop has been a pain in the rear end. Got it up and running (and fast as gently caress) with its original 8.1 Home license on a new ISO. Tossed my spare 8.1 Pro key at it via anytime upgrade, then started the update to Windows 10 (and since it had 8.1 Pro when I started, it'll update to Win 10 Pro). That also, sort of but not really legally (but legal in terms of Microsoft's activation servers), frees up my spare 8.1 Pro key to upgrade mom's PC from Win7 Home. I really need to get a TechNet account, I'm limited to one key per edition of Windows via Dreamspark (so one Win7 key, one Win 8/8.1 key, one Win10 key, one Windows Server key, etc). Her PC needs a reinstall badly (it takes nearly 10 minutes from power on until you can actually do anything with it - i3 with 4GB of RAM), and I'm making GBS threads keys for stuff like Office (finally, she can upgrade from Office 2007). Downside is everything will need a reinstall, but it really needs it.

Soon as I have the money, I plan to build a cheap server, just so I can gently caress with Win 2k12 (I have a Dreamspark key for that). Getting everything upgraded to a Pro version of Windows will go a long way toward letting me gently caress around with having a real server. Might just snag an off lease PC from Micro Center again, though I'm more inclined to just slap together an i3 or older i5 with 8GB of RAM and a spare HDD. I have a spare case, power supply, monitor, DVD-RW, HDDs, etc - all I'm really lacking is a motherboard, CPU, RAM, and keyboard/mouse (so the expensive poo poo).

This is the only time you'll see me defend Pizza Hut.

They actually fry their wings. In real fryers, with real "shortening" (the containers just say "Creamy Fryer Shortening", so it's likely 99% trans fats). And they toss them in whatever sauce you request (many many options).

They're not the best wings, but for late night wings, they're not bad at all. And they deliver.

(the bad news: I'm the one prepping wings for the entire day, 5 out of 7 days of the week; I'm generally the one handling the fryers during day shift those days as well, so you might catch THE GAY from your wings if you order from my store)

Technet is dead.
https://technet.microsoft.com/subscriptions

Email me if you want a cheap board/cpu/ram. I've got a few spares.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Anyone ever bought stuff off Yahoo Japan auctions? Or used a third party bidding service? I'm looking for some rare Rx-7 parts and it's like a gold mine.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

leica posted:

Ever thought about just taking a trip to Japan, loading up on parts and shipping them back? Would it even be worth it?

I'm going in the spring, but I won't be loading a container. I will however be scouting yards/ect. There's no JDM importer here in Oregon and at some point I'd like to investigate what it would take to get a container here.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Why, why did I put off selling our Mini Cooper after fixing it the last time? It needs $1k of parts AGAIN. I'm done. It's going up forsale and I just emailed on a '14 Focus ST.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
A buddy of mine and his brother launched a kick starter. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1038112206/project-pyxis-a-standalone-ambient-backlight-for-y
It's a neat idea, I remember installing some of the first commercial TV's years ago that had this. It never did really catch on. I'm curious to see what you guys/gals think.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
A 16 year old kid pulled out in front of me on the way to the store. Turned left on a green light, didn't yield. Ripped his bumper of/smashed the tail light/dented the quarter. Bent/scratched the trucks bumper. Thank god I just got brakes and new tires, otherwise I would have totaled both our cars. Ugh. Pouring myself a stiff drink and going to bed.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Do we still have a auto-insurance thread? We just added a new vehicle to our policy and I'm now paying $186/m for three cars with Progressive.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Any recommendations for a decent American Single Malt Whiskey? I've cut way back on drinking, but it's nice to have a glass of something decent every now and again.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Did you find one of these out there and use it to take the picture?

We had this camera and it's strange micro HDD powered cousin at a previous job. It was still in use in 2009? I finally forced them to buy a modern P+S with a *gasp* SD card. The old coot that used it still insisted on connecting it via USB to offload pictures, despite having a SD card reader.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
5 HOURS GUYS! 5 HOURS! (Probably a repost)
http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/mazda-news/mazda-new-sports-car-concept/

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-tokyo-motor-show/mazda-confirms-new-rotary-engined-sports-car-concept

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Phone posted:

They'll never catch him.

because they're broken

or ran out of gas

I've got some friends that would like to have a word with you.
And borrow your miata.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

CharlesM posted:

I need flash to watch this . Dang it,

edit: Is there a way to rewind the ustream feed?
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/40251

Eh. It will be on youtube in ~5 minutes judging by the audience.

Also, brb- Masterbating furiously. http://www.caradvice.com.au/391820/mazda-rx-9-previewed-with-rx-vision-rotary-concept-at-tokyo-motor-show/photos/

the spyder fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 28, 2015

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Ferremit posted:

In other news:

gently caress!

Hit a stump and caused the blade to swing around until it jammed in there. That took nearly an hr with a sledge to knock back out, lying on my back under a slasher.

For scale, that blade is half an inch thick and the bar it's bent itself into is 3/4" steel. Hell of a lot of energy went into that impact.

Jesus, what the hell runs a 1/2" blade? I've worked on ~12ft mowers that used 3/8" blades and thought they were huge!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My sleep schedule is hosed. I haven't gone to bed before 2am in the last week and I've got meetings with my East coast boss at like 8am- and a budget proposal due. Can I just go back to car stuff for a living? drat it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
If anyone in PDX want's a cheap 24", let me know. We're surplussing like 30.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
No time to ship. Locals can email me @ fd3sengineering@gmail.com We're also getting rid of some last gen i7-2600 workstations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

mafoose posted:

How much are the workstations going for?
Anyone local to the spyder willing to coordinate shipping?

I'm supposed to go pick up the newly painted 635CSI from the painters and it refuses to start now... Motherfucker.

$300-500. They range from 8GB-16GB, ASUS Motherboards, no idea what video cards, older SSD's (120GB), Lian-Li cases, 500-700w power supplies. Win 7 Pro stickers. Missing a few drive bay covers, otherwise they look to be in ok shape.

• Locked thread