Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Time to go home, sit on the couch, stuff your face with cream cake and wonder aloud via Twitter why Carlos is getting a title shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bluedeanie posted:

Same tbh. It's just disappointing more than anything.

I disagree. Hendricks humiliating himself with saturated fat mere days after his whining is way more entertaining than that fight would ever have been.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Seltzer posted:

I'm aware they're mocked and rightfully so. I just find it funny that people that love those guys don't like Hendricks because he's a "whiner".

Who are these people. Are you doing that thing retards do where you make passionate arguments on this forum against people who aren't on this forum

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I want woodley to refuse the Benson fight and have Dana take his automatic shot away for cowardess

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

who said they didnt like hendricks

Me. I've been extremely vocal about hating him since the gsp drug thing.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

At least when GSP left he had the manners to make it look like the division coincidentally almost caught up to him at the same time. Jones being a bad person agaaaaain.

I don't get this poo poo at all. Gustafsson put a beating on Jones so severe he put him in the loving trauma ward and Jones won by the thinnest margin. He would beat DC handily again and the second Gus fight would be extremely close because styles make fights. Let's not pretend Jones has been untouchable since Gus hosed him up please.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i hope the guy who probably beats women gets the fame and fortune of a title shot instead of bader. that's a really confronting thing to realise about myself, but speaks volumes for my opinion of ryan bader.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

by the way i didn't watch gus / cormier live and only just caught up on it. here's some thoughts.

round 1 was vintage dc and good poo poo.

round 2 was way closer than the gdt thought it was, but a solid gus round.

round 3 was a very good round, and up until the fifth minute was a dc round, but it was competitive. definitely not the one-sided beating the gdt made out and the knee / punch combo knockdown absolutely sealed it for gus and this is not ambiguous.

round 4 opened up with gus beating the poo poo out of cormier for about a minute before cormier started throwing back. gus exposed his back while running away like a cartoon character which dc didn't use to get a body lock and gently caress him up for some reason. then gus goes back to pot shotting dc as he shambles in reminding me much more of the jones fight than the un-gassed dc, he even lands a monster body kick that made cormier regret at least one thing he did that night. i was waiting for the dc flurry that made everyone think dc won round 4 but it never came. gus won this round.

round 5 begins with gus controlling the distance and landing an awesome right straight nearly a minute in which was the first significant strike of the round. cormier responds in kind soon after. both look incredibly hosed up in the gas stakes, but dc's forward pressure starts taking over and gus just can't stand his ground, resorting to the 'running' which i thought was going to be a huge issue in this fight (according to the gdt) but it really only became significant in this round. a dc round.

in general, cormier's ringcraft has improved significantly since jones. the way he stalked gus was almost weidman-esque but he still lacked the angles to make him effective coming in against a guy who plays long as superb as the herb. in round 4 this went right out the loving window and he looked all the worse for it. gustaffson was landing those right and left shots to the body at will and if he used more of them, it could have drastically changed the complexion of the fight. it was seriously baffling me why he wasn't just throwing them all the time. they were all landing. gus's wrestling is superb. they both have the heart of warriors. everyone who predicted a dc steam-rolling in in the gdt / monthly threads should be ashamed of themselves.

if you weren't paying attention i gave 2, 3 and 4 to gus fairly unambiguously and therefor winning the fight, but i don't begrudge dc a thing. a good fight, but definitely not a classic.

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 5, 2015

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

that's fair. if every time gus wanted to run, he instead smashed dc in the body with either hand or foot it would have looked exactly like the jones fight. this isn't even that far of a stretch. it was there for gus all day and i think was more of a case of gus not backing himself probably as a result of the rumble fight. which is ironic, considering it probably lead to gus getting hit more.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i once took a huge dose of acid after being up for roughly 20 hours on large doses of ecstasy and cocaine. 1 hour in i was given some random anti-psychotic that was supposed to kill the hallucinations and put me to sleep. instead i had full blown open-eye hallucinations of anthropomorphic clams dancing with 'i'm losing my loving mind' being spoken to myself on repeat while my physical body is on the toilet making GBS threads and this is literally, literally, the most insane thing i've ever seen.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

Pretty much. It seems like fans tend to forget that things are subjective. I'm not even a Bader fan, but hell at this point I'll root for him just to see the haters get mad.

nobody, and i mean nobody is legitimately mad that you have stupid opinions. it's really funny that you think you're being subversive and clever though when we've had atom doing the same gimmick since forever and not a single soul has ever gotten mad, rather they've occassionally voiced exasperated disbelief or in some cases disgust (the mark hunt joke) but i've never seen anyone get mad. you aren't clever, so if i can head off your gimmick right now with this post that would be for the best.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

being compared to gray maynard is the single biggest complement i've seen of ryan bader and it is massively undeserved

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i remember that time i confused somebody with somebody else

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

comedy gold really when you think about it

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i honestly thought there was a bizarre sub-section of the planet that had never, ever seen someone confuse two people before and thought it was actuallly high-comedy

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

*does a silly walk to a 'female' character with her back turned* excuse me, miss?

*'female' turns around, revealing a hideous unintentional transvestite with an unnecessarily deep voice to drive home the joke* what do you mean miss?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bubba Smith posted:

I don't think TJ is a bitch for leaving TAM. Team Alpha Male is a great camp but after so many years there TJ and the other little alpha males have mostly learned about all they can from Urijah and the other coaches/fighters. Even though TJ is way ahead of the rest of the division I don't think it's a bad idea to go train with new people and hopefully expand his game even further.

The quote TJ's new head coach gave on the situation sort of rubs me the wrong way though, to borrow that from Faber:

He's not wrong that it probably isn't a good idea for a champion to be worried about splitting his time between multiple camps, but I dunno, of course it's easy for Bowling to tell TJ not to worry about loyalty when the outcome is he gets a UFC champion training at his gym full-time. I don't think TJ is a snake in the grass but Leister Bowling sounds like one to me.

what the gently caress? it's really solid advice to not let personal relationships get in the way of business and that it's entirely possible to stop doing business with someone and still remain friends as long as nobody takes the decision too personally. i'm betting the fallout from this will be something along the lines of faber saying to tj 'i'll miss you bro' and then they work out in a small room one last time.

also faber has never taken fighting tj off the table even when they were both at tam because they are both professional fighters.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bubba Smith posted:

especially when the guy giving said advice benefits from it the most, that was my point. Of course he's going to tell TJ not to worry about Faber & loyalty when he gets to train a UFC champion now and Urijah does not. I didn't say it was the wrong choice, just I didn't like the statement he gave about TJ's situation.

it doesn't matter if he stood to benefit from it or not there was absolutely nothing wrong with saying what he said as far as i'm concerned because the advice was solid.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

mewse posted:

"I think he's doing the right thing" says guy who has most to benefit from other guy doing the thing

also said by anyone who thinks tj can make competent decisions regarding his career

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

holly is very nearly dog poo poo in terms of mma proficiency and the fight is such a foregone conclusion in my mind that it is nearly terminally uninteresting, making the promo something truly remarkable.

ronda has beaten people way better than holly faster than i can turn off my alarm in the morning.

i will spend the very short time this retarded mismatch is taking place thinking about robbie and condit fighting instead. and how if they were the ones fighting right now i'd be in the arena watching it live instead of watching it at an absurdly packed bar.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

anyone who enjoys watching ronda will be pleased to know that jason 'mayhem' miller hosted a show called bully beatdown that's basically the same thing except this time you don't feel sorry for the people who can't meaningfully defend themselves

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

It's not my fault that some of Jake Shields' proteges get taken the distance by the bullies.

a half blind gsp is a worse fighter than a fat guy with no fighting experience

Duzzy Funlop posted:

You felt sorry for actors portraying roles in a scripted "reality" show involving teenage alpha males getting an asswhooping?

I mean, I've seen two videos from the show involving fighters that I actually know, I think one was Arlovski, but still...

you may want to re-read what i wrote

Memento posted:

Nobody wants to gently caress the Klitschkos.

the last ronda fight i was at a bar that looked like it contaitned a shitload of guys who were dragged there by their girlfriends.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Well, he shouldn't have gotten comprehensively outboxed by Stefan loving Struve, then.

getting stuck on the end of a 7ft tall man's reach the one time he remembers to use his length is way more excusable than being comprehensively annihilated by chael sonnen for 23 minutes or getting out kick-boxed by jake shields or indeed most low-points of most great fighter's careers

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Chael was juiced out of his god drat mind in the first Silva fight and would have done that to any other MW in the world at that time. There isn't any shame in what happened there for Silva, especially considering the ending.

anderson was juiced out of his mind and looked like dog poo poo against nick diaz and was probably just as juiced as sonnen during that fight

Snowman_McK posted:

Not really. Also, it wasn't much to do with Struve's reach. He got out-boxed on the inside. Even if it hadn't been, it's a hard loss to overlook. Struve has a lot of wins, but they're mostly over people who's best win is Phillip DeFries or something. Miocic is a real outlier in that fight record. It's Struve's best win by a huge margin.

i haven't watched the fight since it happened by i remember miocic winning until a 280lb giant hit him clean in the face at the full length of his reach a few times in a row and has backed that performance up with some absolutely staggering efforts against jds and hunto that bringing that particular fight up as if it in any way defines his career is stupid

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

It was a 250 pound tall guy and it was a bunch of uppercuts and hooks. Nobody who actually takes the sport seriously would say it defines his career. It's an outlier for both fighters, it's also a terrific fight and so it's easy to see why it would pop up in someone's memory quicker than the time he decisioned JDS and knocked out Mark Hunt?

so your saying your comment that i originally responded to was stupid? i agree.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

mighty mouse should be the one seeking the handicap of weight at this point. besides uncle creepy who cannot seem to get his poo poo in one sock long enough to warrant a shot at 125 there is not a single compelling challenger left at this weight. let me say though that uncle creepy on his best day would maybe take a round off mighty mouse if they fought now

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Watch UFC star Ronda Rousey in the thrilling remake of the classic 80's movie Road House where she fucks up such people as a divorcee who don't need no man for validation, the underage dweebs from the hit TV show The Inbetweeners when they tried to get served in the pub that one time and Jason Mewes aka Jay from Jay and Silent Bob.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

can't wait to hear more from rampage regarding video games and video game peripherals

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

if he really is making significant amounts of money on his podcast i have no idea why he'd continue to be loving terrible in the octagon

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

Let's Play: In Traffic

Starring Atom

lol

for real though i've watched dave chappelle stand around on a stage because he's funny and entertaining. i'm sure i'd watch him suck at nintendo too. generally though i don't think there's much crossover with guys who play video games all the time and guys who i'd want to hear speak at length so personally i'll spend my time doing basically anything else

they posted the joe duffy / jake lindsay fight for free on youtube and you may as well watch it again because it loving owns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CG9vmSfhWg

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Meowbot posted:

the punch that dropped him didnt look like a nything at all, was it the bod shots or the head kick before it that caused him to wilt from that punch? It looked like such a glancing blow I dont know how it did any damage.

I love watching joe duffy throw strikes, he has really good accuracy. I hope he fights conor one day and shuts him the gently caress up (I like conor but it would own if an irish man beat him).

I see you have never been punched really hard in the body. Also go back and look at the punch again. It hits the sternum so perfectly and cleanly it's closer to surgery than punching. You can tell when someone is hurt by a bodyshot because there's a split second between the punch being delivered and the brain responding to the agony.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

you're probably going to feel run-down jonny if you go from eating your between-camp meals to your sane person meals but i'd still recommend an extra 90minutes of sleep a night over telling a guy who's under obligation to make weight he should eat more venison

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Ditch posted:

More MMA Hour notes:
-TJ now seems fine with fighting Faber after getting banned from TAM
-TJ still went to the Benavidez/Olivi wedding
-TJ says moving this camp to CO was on him, not because of "recruiting"

1) he literally always was
2) why wouldn't he
3) no poo poo

i don't understand why people think it's surprising that tj isn't being coerced into poo poo that is clearly good for his career and he will not lose his friends or surrogate family because of this

edit clarity

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 12, 2015

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bubba Smith posted:

actually in the interview TJ says it was a surprise to hear Faber be the one saying he would be fine with fighting him since he thought "they were a lot closer than that" and that "Faber is looking for a big fight in his career and I don't want to have to do it." Ariel prods like how he does so he does get TJ to answer yes, if offered the fight and there being no other options available he would take it, but then again repeats himself that he doesn't wish it to happen and instead it should be on Faber to change weight classes or find another big fight. So I think it's a bit of a misquote to say that TJ is fine with fighting Faber. if I had to guess I think Faber is way more eager for that match than TJ is for numerous reasons.

After hearing the whole TJ interview I agree with him when he said that this whole story never should have been as big of an issue as it was. I think he just got hosed in the press and the fans by doing it in the slowest month of UFC news in a long, long time.

nobody wants to fight friends btw, they do it because they're professionals which faber certainly is and tj almost certainly is. that was probably the first time he had to seriously consider the possibility and responded like a (reluctant) pro. i don't think it's misquoting him at all to say he would do it and be fine with it if you define 'fine' as being able to give 100% and not as in happy to fight a friend

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

attackmole posted:

Is he really successful? I'm kind of confused how he makes so much money off nebulous podcast sponsorships when this forum is the only reason I know it exists.

enough that he'd give up being a terrible fighter for an amount of money that would be regarded as obscene when viewed strictly from the standpoint of talent. he also claims to be losing hundreds of thousands of dollars thanks to the reebok deal. my theory is that schaub has a genetic mutation that causes people to give him money he in no way deserves

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

my theory is he is full of poo poo regarding the amount of money he makes from his podcast and sponsors

Likely. But the fact remains that he's making some money from someone and that amount is and always has been too much

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Because if there's one thing we need to see, it's a more dominant Ronda.

But yeah, it's like how everyone at Roufousports who isn't Anthony Pettis is a walking concussion.

I know of a kid from roufussport who'd love to be a walking concussion

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

-Atom- posted:

joking about Ronda's dad who killed himself and Vitor's sister being kidnapped and murdered is cool but don't make fun of Mark Hunt

Hahaha oh Atom. There's a difference between insinuating that a man killed himself because of an outspoken and independent wife (which requires a modicum of wit) and you straight up saying that you hope mark hunt relives an abusive childhood or whatever unfunny poo poo you said which requires no wit, is not' making fun'. Please don't feel legitimately victimised.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

manyak posted:

hes armenian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

good

e glad mark hunt got a special shout out

• Locked thread