Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Uriah Hall is replacing Bisping at UFC 193

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Reports saying Hendricks had to be rushed to the ER and given an IV.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Le Saboteur posted:

2 days to cut like 15 pounds. That is goddamn ridiculous.

weigh in is today, so its more like 1 day, to cut 13 pounds.

It can be done I guess, but thats just absurd. A lot of fighters are just going to have to move up.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

CommonShore posted:

If the UFC has been forcing fighters to change divisions for promotional reasons - Lineker, Gastelum - they should also start forcing fighters to change divisions for health (ethical) reasons.

It does have to be an objective rule, though. Some states are experimenting with weight class rules which could be interesting, but until that gets figured out, I'd just give every fighter maybe 2 chances in 5 years. If you miss weight twice in any 5 year period without a very good reason (eg, you got the flu and had to hydrate), then you must move up.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

afatwhiteloaf posted:

Fighters that walk around at 185-190 are fighting at lightweight. Hendricks has bad cuts for the same reason Cormier nearly killed his kidneys in 2008: he's fat. If he wasn't so fat, he could make welterweight just fine.

I know that Hendricks could theoretically make welterweight just fine, but at this point I think we have to assume he doesn't want to do what it takes to stay healthy and make the weight. So, whether a fighter can't make weight for physical or mental reasons, either way they gotta move up after they have too many problems.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
According to Helwani, Hendricks is going to seriously think about moving to 185.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
ufc.tv is still good, but ufc.com might be under a ddos attack or something. I can't connect to it, and it seems down for everyone.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
...and its finally back up

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
It appears that Draftkings completely hosed up UFC 192. Someone was asleep at the switch, and all players were still able to edit their lineups after the first fight was over. It now looks like they have cancelled all UFC 192 contests. Players are now demanding that they freeroll this contest and just take the financial loss from paying out without collecting entry fees.

I'm sure UFC will be thrilled with that, and all these Draftkings commercials running during UFC 192 are hilarious now.

edit: confirmed, Draftkings inexplicably thought the first fight was 7pm ET even though it was known that we had prelim fights before then for at least a week or so. None of them bothered to double-check the fight times. MMA media are on this, because its a hilariously bad look for a major UFC sponsor.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 4, 2015

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

vainman posted:

Why would the UFC care at all that some gambling website screwed up?

They have two copies of their logo plastered onto the loving Octagon. I assume they are enraged. The hatred that is being directed at Draftkings and the UFC tonight is hilarious.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

niethan posted:

No I though his name was Colbey and his sisters insta was his

I assume you have since scrolled down to older pictures and realized that this is not the case?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

EmmyOk posted:

Dariush saying the only reason the Johnson fight looked like such a robbery was because KenFlo was biased against him

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/10/..._source=twitter

I kinda agree with him, even though I disagree with the decision. That 2nd round was closer than many think, the announcers were acting like it was obviously 20-18, but I wasn't so sure that it was not tied in the judges scorecards going into the 3rd round. The crowd added to the perception that it was a travesty because they were supporting their hometown guy against a Persian.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Nick Diaz's WH petition has crossed 70,000 signatures with 10 days left

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
How often is the challenger more prominent and impressive on the poster for a title fight?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I'm not sure who is hyping it, but Nick Diaz picked up about 10,000 signatures on his WH petition in the last couple days. Roughly 13,000 to go by Friday.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Wow, the White House actually has to say something about Nick Diaz. I'm sure it'll be a brief note about Federalism and how they can't and won't do anything, maybe some mention of medical marijuana, but still that is hilarious.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
"What is MMA, and who is Nick Diaz?"

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Bluedeanie posted:

Good poo poo.

Also lol at the person or two who seem to think Obama will actually be briefed on this any more than a memo saying "here's what the press secretary intern had to poo poo on this week."

I would presume that literally no one in this thread thinks this.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I'm probably missing some background, and he probably did hit the lottery, but did Ronda's mom explain why her coach was a "bad person" and a "terrible coach", other than the fact that he wanted nothing to do with her for the first few months? Because it seems like that could be adequately explained in the culture of that and many other gyms at that time.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

david carmichael posted:

well big edmund (from glendale) has worked with some fighters who got noticeably worse while training under him, and rousey is his only homegrown prospect and she pretty obviously was going to be superstar no matter who she ended up with as a coach

Seemed to me that Ronda's mom may have an additional bias in that she has made it clear that she very strongly believes Ronda should stay in her lane and land the quick armbar every fight. That might even be the correct strategy, but Ronda's coach is trying to work on her striking which Ronda needs to do to improve as a better overall fighter. Her mom seems to believe this is an unnecessary and dangerous waste of time for her and could tempt Ronda to go away from her strengths. In the absence of anything more solid, I think that's fueling a lot of her anger.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
How the gently caress do you get hurt the week of the event you are headlining? Isn't training done at that point, and you are just going light to stay in shape?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
New Jersey is going to experiment with a new judging protocol for a local MMA promotion this weekend.

The fights will be judged as normal with 3 judges around the cage, but they are also going to put 3 judges in a soundproof room in the back of the arena, watching the fights on a muted TV and compare how they score to the cageside judges. No crowd noise, no commentary, and superior viewing angles on TV vs obstructed views cageside may produce more accurate scores..

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

quote:

@ABCPolitics
@RealBenCarson receives an endorsement from former UFC fighter @vitorbelfort

That is a tweet that I never expected to show up on my feed

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

JuanGoat posted:

Did anything ever become of that White House petition for Nick Diaz?

They have something like 45 or 60 days to respond. Someone from the White House did confirm that they will respond to it.

In other news, local media in Vegas is reporting that the UFC might buy the naming rights to the new arena being built in Vegas, and would probably name it the UFC Center.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/10/ufc-reportedly-could-scoop-up-naming-rights-for-las-vegas-arena-home-of-ufc-200

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
The NSAC has confirmed that they are discussing a settlement with Nick Diaz's lawyers. Could be cleared to fight sometime in 2016.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
The culinary union showed up in force to today's NSAC meeting. The public comment period could be amusing.

edit: limited to 3 minutes per person

edit2: well that was disappointing, its already over, I guess they weren't all there to participate in the public comments

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 29, 2015

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
The NSAC has begun their court-ordered re-hearing of Wanderlei Silva.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Silva's re-hearing sounds like it will be rescheduled. The lawyer from the Nevada AG's office came up with new documents and didn't give Silva's lawyers some kind of required 10 day notice before the meeting.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

coconono posted:

like what? new pics of Wanderlei snorting powdered horse semen?

An affidavit from someone at the UFC

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Caio Magalhaes is apologizing, grovelling, begging for mercy, and letting the NSAC know he lost money on his fight. I imagine he'll be lightly punished.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
huh, things tense at NSAC I guess

quote:

@jeremybotter 51 seconds ago

Just a side note: there is actually heavy security at today’s meeting. Three armed guards outside the door. Afraid of MMA Fans?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Tezcatlipoca posted:

California also has a bunch of retarded/restrictive gun laws and shouldn't be used as a basis for comparison.

yeah, there are a lot of states with no limitations on magazine size

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Magalhaes suspended 6 months and ordered to do 40 hours community service, teaching BJJ

NSAC now moving on to Rousimar Palhares

edit: Palhares is representing himself on skype without legal counsel. :lol:

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 29, 2015

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I'm not sure because twitter is unclear, but his "defense" seems to be that he had difficulty understanding or following the ref's directions.

Unless the ref is very unclear, that does not seem like a valid defense at all.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Looks like this is just going to come down to how contrite he is in front of the NSAC. Palhares was basically put on notice to not do what he ended up doing right before the fight.

quote:

@jeremybotter 2 minutes ago

Bennett contacted Mazzagatti before the Palhares fight to make sure he gave him specific pre-fight instructions.

@jeremybotter 1 minute ago

Mazzagatti says Bennett was extremely concerned about Palhares holding submissions too long.

@jeremybotter 1 minute ago

Mazzagatti spent extra time in the locker room verbally and physically explaining the rules to Palhares.

quote:

‏@jeremybotter 1 minute ago

Mazzagatti says Palhares clearly held the submission beyond the point where he called off the fight.

@jeremybotter 25 seconds ago

He also says Palhares “absolutely did not” follow his pre-fight instructions.

@jeremybotter 22 seconds ago

Mazzagatti says it was “absolutely unsportsmanlike conduct."

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 29, 2015

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
uhhh... wow. He's basically blaming the ref for not properly stopping the fight. Handling questions from the NSAC badly.

quote:

@jeremybotter 36 seconds ago

Oh God. Palhares needs a lawyer. This is brutal.

edit:

quote:

@Jason_Floyd 1 minute ago

This is why you do not have your manager represent you at a commission hearing. Hire an attorney

Unless you go in intending to admit to everything, cry, and beg for mercy. Then not having a lawyer could work out. This dipshit is trying to unapologetically fight the charges on his own.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
More:

quote:

@jeremybotter 42 seconds ago

Lundvall getting FIRED UP. She’s pretty much yelling.

@jeremybotter 19 seconds ago

“It didn’t matter what your opponent did, you were going to hold it.” This is getting ugly.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

quote:

@jeremybotter 57s57 seconds ago

Palhares says he thought Shields was kneeing him, not tapping out. This guy needs a lawyer in the worst way.

He also earlier said he didn't know who was smacking him on the back, which is retarded, no one else is in the cage other than the ref.

edit:

quote:

@Jason_Floyd 57 seconds ago

This is not going well for Rousimar Palhares. I am predicting a lengthy suspension

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
They went into recess to find a better camera angle for the end of that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Uh, the agent for Palhares asked that John McCarthy, who happens to be available for other reasons, testify in an attempt to prove that Mazzagatti was out of position. Big John's testimony is apparently not going well for Palhares at all.

The fact that this is not available on a stream is a tragedy.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 29, 2015

• Locked thread