Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

kensei posted:

Women's MMA is truly catching up to Men's MMA

https://instagram.com/p/8R8PekA00r/

It's like she's a magnet for poor life decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

acai moonsault posted:

Hendricks vs Woodley is off the card due to Hendricks weight cut issues. - @danawhite

I was really looking forward to that fight. Hendricks needs to stop being a fat gently caress that endangers his health and get serious about his conditioning.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Seltzer posted:

Well you see he's now a big "whiner" because he has the audacity to get upset after being robbed of victories. He's doesn't take his losses in stride like Brazilian fan favorites who only lose because they had to fly in business class or BJ penn who tried to prove that noted cheat GSP was slathered in coco butter before their fight by bringing his mother to testify in front of the NSAC.

I still laugh about Hendricks saying he was only giving 70% in the GSP fight and Dana flat out telling him that he should have given the other 30%.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Seltzer posted:

He said that because it was his first 5 rd fight and he didn't want to gas out which is completely sensible. Dana then got really mad and took the quote out of context

He certainly is around here.

Oh I know it isn't unreasonable for that situation. I just said it makes me laugh. I haven't watched the fight since seeing it live but I thought Hendricks won on points and that is said as a GSP fan.

Also I'm glad Bendo has regained his cool factor and will fight anyone. Him and Woodley fighting would be worth it for the staredown alone.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Le Saboteur posted:

This Ronda Rousey promo for UFC 194 is one of the greatest promos the UFC have ever put together. Also Fake Herb Dean. http://ellentube.com/videos/0-91z5qd54/

That could double as the trailer for her autobiographical movie, great stuff.

Lloyd Boner posted:

I'm really glad Joanna Champion's fight is on that card too, because she deserves a look from all the eyeballs that Ronda's gonna be bringing in.

Joanna Champion going to rearrange another face and get mad paid.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

How is Ronda going to be able to deal with being the star of a hollywood production about her life if being misrepresented on TUF drove her mad for a while? Somehow I doubt it's going to be a zach snyder/watchmen style recreation of the boom.

She's had a few years of spending time on real Hollywood sets and getting used to the constant media attention. She's definitely gotten a lot better at presenting herself to the public. Plus the reality TV format almost never makes anyone look good. Add into that Meisha Tate and her crew openly trying to provoke her camp into doing something stupid and it's no wonder she hated TUF. These days she's friends with people like the Rock and Vin Diesel and they've probably shown her a lot of the ropes to staying relatively sane with that kind of attention.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Aurain posted:

Those girls they had to play young Rousey look so much like her it's unreal.

It's cool that Ronda got Holly Holm an acting gig to help her out after the fight but I don't think murder victim is a good first role to have on the resume.

I'd swear one of the younger versions of Ronda had to be her younger sister. They look a lot alike.

And Intel the whole model for reality tv is to exploit everyone with a camera seeing everything. Ronda's been pretty open about being emotional but there is that and then there is some dude in sweatpants holding a camera shoving a lense in your face while you cry. I remember a shot in TUF where one of the cameras found Roxy curled up behind a wall in the garden because nowhere else in the house was private and the dude just hovers.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

coconono posted:

considering fantasy sports are unregulated, and thus unprotected, litigation might kill their sponsor? or something.

The NFL, NBA, etc are all openly in bed with the instant fantasy companies right now. I doubt the sponsors care unless that rumor about the Congressional hearing on instant fantasy gets rolling sometime in the next year.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

FishBowlRobot posted:

The backstage interviews were kind of funny. Guaranteeing another pause in momentum if they fight, Rose half heartedly called out "that pretty girl Paige." DC was interviewed while hobbling around on his broken foot looking like death as everyone from the Houston Rockets stopped to congratulate him.

DC broke his foot too? That sucks.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

coconono posted:

maybe Cher and Nick are besties.

I have this image in my head now of the Diaz Brothers getting blazed with Cher in a Vegas penthouse.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Le Saboteur posted:

Will Bader's head pop off if he runs into Rumble's right like he did into Machida's?

I look forward to watching the result.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

You know UFC wasn't all that great when the divisions first started.

Remember Tim Sylvia? His greatest skill was "Being Fat." He was champion for a long time.

Give the Women's divisions some time to flesh out, and I think we'll see some damned good fights, and their popularity will only grow.

FFS We have a card headlined by TWO Women's championships and it's gonna be amazing.

Goons hate cool things. It is the way of the universe.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/651843921283317760

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Lloyd Boner posted:

Though tbf the high school wrestler did much better than the Olympic wrestler.

McMann turned into a wet fart when it comes to MMA which is a bit sad. It was cool to have another fighter with an Olympic pedigree.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

-Atom- posted:

Joanna Champion is just the best.

Also looks like Randa finally got a fight. She's signed to fight Karolina Kowalkiewicz on the Orlando Fight Night Card. I was hoping she'd get a chance to sub Esparza after TUF but a fight is a fight.

https://twitter.com/UFC_CA/status/651929619902427136

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

Glad she finally got a fight. Also apparently she's training at TriStar in Montreal now (instead of in Detroit with Daron Cruickshank and Jessica Eye) so that will probably help her game a lot.

e: Apparently Myles Jury vs Charles Oliviera got added to the same card.

1st AD seems to think it's a tough match up for her. I haven't seen the new polish girl's fights but it seems like the Eastern European strawweights have a pretty good striking pedigree. Joanna's got multiple world championships in Muay Thai but I can't seem to find much on Karolina's background. Randa always seems to be the underdog in fights though. She'd been calling out Van Zant but I don't think the UFC wants to put her anywhere near a good wrestler yet who could sneak in an upset.

Also that Fight Night card looks sick. It really could be a PPV.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

1st AD posted:

It's also a tough match for KK, in case I didn't make that clear. Imagine Jedrzejczyk vs Esparza, except both fighters are not as skilled and you have this fight.

I hope not exactly like that fight. I like Randa and if she's training with Tri-Star now she must have more upside than Esparza.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Dza posted:

I feel this important point from a few pages ago was overlooked.

All fights and fighters suck until they don't suck.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

1st AD posted:

Theory - Faber and TJ are building towards a title fight with each other and are playing the game very well.

It would be hilarious if McGregor is even trying to help that by the comments he's making in the media. Long shot I know but promoting is promoting.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Northjayhawk posted:

How often is the challenger more prominent and impressive on the poster for a title fight?

That isn't so surprising a design. RDA is relatively unknown in the USA. I bet the poster in Brazil is the reverse.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

fatherdog posted:

I've never watched a Let's Play, but since "Watching a dude and two puppets watch bad movies" was one of the most beloved comedies of the 90's I'm not sure why it's so unbelievable that "Watching people play video games" would be entertaining.

So many sleepless nights made livable by watching MST3K back in the day.

mewse posted:

gently caress off Cyborg

Also this.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

:lol: TAM never disappoints. https://twitter.com/MeganOlivi/status/653406786230222848

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

1st AD posted:

Can't wait till Ronda is "injured in camp" and Browne mysteriously gets cut from the UFC

Ronda's mom would probably rip Browne's arm off if he did that. She'd then use it to beat some sense into Ronda for dating the tiki themed turd golem.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Bean Fried posted:

He's also worked with the 4 Horsewomen, who have professionally gone 1-7 since he started that.

Baszler went from a top 10 fighter (still probably would have been top 15 even after TUF 18 concluded) to a washed up has-been and cut from the UFC very, very quickly.

Duke went from a pretty decent prospect with strong muay thai striking to a three-fight losing streak, losing to the softest softball Sean Shelby could give her in her last fight.

Shafir went from an undefeated amateur with an elite judo background to 1-2 as a pro, losing to a fighter who was making her pro debut in her last fight.

Shafir doesn't seem to have a chin so you can't blame him there. Baszler just had the sport pass her by. Duke always looked like a baby giraffe out there so who knows if she'd improve in another camp.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

david carmichael posted:

if your fighter has a lovely chin perhaps you should work with them on not eating big shots.

Or if you can't take a punch don't be in punch sports?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

david carmichael posted:

things are working out fine for arlovski, overeem, jacare, machida, etc.

I would argue that things are the opposite of working out for Machida ever since his chin broke.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

henkman posted:

He's still in the ufc getting paid a lot to fight, so yeah he's doing fine

True the money is nice. Now will he remember making any of that money? :smith:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Worst career move has to go to Jon Jones this year for the DUI. If not for that he was probably going to beat Rumble, beat Gus in a rematch, and jump to heavyweight.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

At this point I'm convinced the UFC division of Reebok is just someone's mom with an old copy of Printshop.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Triticum Guzzler posted:

it's admirable how utterly worthless the reebok deal has been for almost all parties involved

Nike Execs must use the whole thing as a teaching tool for what not to do.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Dan Henderson fights soon

An event that fills me with joy and sadness.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

This was the first UFC main event I ever saw.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Given that DC wants to take some time off to heal after the fights he's had recently there is plenty of time for Jones to wrap another car around a pole before his rematch.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

-Atom- posted:

The UFC wouldn't reinstate Jon Jones if they didn't think he had changed his entire moral fabric

I read this and heard Dana White in my head, perfect.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can only dream that Rumble is able to starch both Bader and Bones because jones is gonna make DC cry again real soon.

After what DC did to Rumble I don't see him having much chance against Jones.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Ditch posted:

The odds are overwhelmingly against any human being surviving the hit DC took; he got lucky that he was able to get up. Now, whether he could land that shot against Jones is a very real question, but his "puncher's chance" is a different beast than, say, Glover/Rampage/Bader or other LHWs who have absolutely nothing for Jones.

I agree that Rumble can always land a one punch knockout. But DC's fight with Rumble gave Jones a blueprint for any eventual match up. So now I don't like Rumble's odds at all if the fight happens.

As for DC and Jones rematching I think DC will do much better but he's also got the odds against him. Jones is just so good and he didn't even have a single night in jail to interrupt his training. We've seen plenty of people commenting that Jones has spent a lot of time in camp. That being said I'd love for DC to beat Jones this time and then win the rubber match. Because gently caress Jon Jones the person.

The reality will probably be Jones beats DC. Jones beats Rumble. Jones beats Gus if they ever hook up again. Then Jones goes to heavyweight to try for that belt while Bader gets shoved in a locker by Dana White.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Metal as gently caress.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

tesilential posted:

Yeah, Van Zant is going to walk right through Thug Rose.

Which will make the UFC happy.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

I know gun laws vary everywhere but isn't a giant drum magazine like that illegal to have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

He will never be champion

He might never fight again at this rate.

• Locked thread