Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Bluedeanie posted:

The trick is to assume from the get-go he's going to poo poo the bed and freeze up. That way he can only meet or exceed expectations.

That's my assumption with everything in life. Just assume it's all going to be lame then you're either happy that you were right all along, or happy that you were wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
I hope Jones comes back, wins the title from DC (because we all know Gus ain't winning that fight), and defends it many more times before retiring undefeated*.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Lloyd Boner posted:

I hope Jones comes back and gets owned by incumbent UFC Light Heavyweight champion Ryan Bader.

Ha that would be hilarious. I honestly think Bader has a decent shot without Jones in the picture. People poo poo on him for some reason, but he's a legit top LHW.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

wiffle ball bat posted:

i thought he was the easiest fight in the division

Pretty much. That's why he's 19-4, with losses to Jones, Glover, Machida and *sigh* Tito. And wins against Magalhes, Little Nog, Jardine, Davis, Rampage, The Janitor, OSP...yea, he's a total can.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

1st AD posted:

Ryan Bader is good enough, but he's not good

He's good, he's just not elite. He's a legit top 10, but sometimes that jump from top 10 to championship material is...a big one.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
I'm not saying Bader is a world-beater or the champion in waiting, but God drat people treat him like he's the worst or most boring LHW in the division, when he's obviously a top 10 talent. Do I think he's going to win a title? No, but most other fighters arent, either. Hell, I'm a huge Cowboy fan and I've ALWAYS been convinced he'll never win a title (I also don't view a title or the ability to win one as a condition of me being a fan).

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
Like Sonnen?

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
I can't wait to see Condit v. Woodley as a 5 round fight.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
I can't wait to see Bader RNC Rumble, then beat DC for the title when there's complications with Jones' return. Oh the tears will be hilarious

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
I'm just curious, why is the most sig. strikes a good thing?

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
It's almost like different people have different views on what an ok fight is and what isn't....

I think Bader is ok, I don't understand the hate for him. There are tons of more annoying, or boring, or unlikable fighters, but whatever.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

david carmichael posted:

There are plenty of other bad fighters, but not being able to understand why anyone dislikes a bad fighter who has bad fights is baffling

But that's just it, you think he's a bad fighter with bad fights, and others don't.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

If you can learn one thing from these threads, it should be that some fighters are objectively cool and good and some are objectively bad and dumb

Pretty much. It seems like fans tend to forget that things are subjective. I'm not even a Bader fan, but hell at this point I'll root for him just to see the haters get mad.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
People will lose their minds if Bader beat Shogun. It'll be like after Sonnen submitted him but worse.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Bubba Smith posted:

yep. though it is nuts how shogun is only a year older than Bader. shogun should already be in his 40s by now and retiring, not one of the youngest fighters in the LHW division. what the gently caress

I hadn't thought about that in a while, I forgot how young he is in normal human years. In fight years he's getting ancient (not Big Nog ancient, but still).

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
I'd love to see Faber smack down TJ (I know it won't happen).

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
WMMA isn't as good as some of you make it out to be, and isn't as bad as the people who say it's total garbage. I don't enjoy much of it currently, but I also didn't enjoy much of the very early years of the UFC either (outside of the initial spectacle, it really didn't feel like much of a sport until much later).

But, that initial spectacle is what drags people in, and that's where 135 is right now. Not saying Ronda is Royce, she's more of the Fedor of WMMA right now, but with less competition. She's legit, it's just that she really is fighting cans sometimes because the depth isn't there yet.

There are some good fighters, but the talent pool really is shallow outside of them.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
People like to draw parallels, and the Fedor comparison is closer than Royce. Both dominated their respective organizations at the time, but Fedor did it against much more well rounded competition (and yes, against some cans, too). Sure, there are plenty of differences though, and any comparison is bound to be flawed.

Ronda is obviously leaps and bounds ahead of any of her contenders, in ways we haven't seen in recent times. I'd like to see Holm at least make the fight competitive, maybe use her footwork and TDD to at least force Ronda into, I don't know, breaking a sweat? It's hard to see a way through it for her though, and hard not to see Ronda bullying her way in, throwing her to the ground and submitting her in the first round. Maybe she'll try to prove something though and decide to stand and trade.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Lid posted:

Ronda wrote an article

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/vict...6-1227566600899

MMA's greatest ambassador by a mile.

I'm not a huge Ronda fan, but that's a really great quote. Props to her.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
I forgot how awesome the Schaub KO gifs are. Thank you kind sir.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
Are there any fights planned for the Pacific NW anytime soon? Portland again would be awesome (missed 102 because of work), but Seattle is probably more likely. I'd love to get together with some goons for some decent seats next time it comes around (hell I'd even go for a, ahem, Bellator or WSOF card...).

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
As much of a Jones fan as I am, I can't deny that Bader beating beating him in a title match would be the ultimate gently caress you to everyone and would make me laugh. It's obviously not going to happen but would be hilarious nonetheless

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

henkman posted:

You keep saying this but I don't think anyone cares enough about ryan bader to get mad about it

Maybe not. No one I've ever talked to in real life has ever espoused the type of anti-Bader rhetoric I've seen online, so it's probably just Internet trolls.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
Maybe he's just a high level gatekeeper. There's nothing wrong with that, takes a lot to get to that point.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
Is there anyone who believes that there is a real contender outside of Bones, DC, Gus and Rumble? I honestly can't think of anyone than those 4 who have a real chance of holding the belt (and really, Gus and Rumble are still on the outside looking in at Bones/DC).

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

-Atom- posted:

I mean lets be honest who thought he'd beat Rashad

I did. Not because I'm a big believer in Darth, but I just think Rashad is either fading or not as good as some people have believed (he's had even more garbage fights than Bader has).

Bubba Smith posted:

That being said I do think on his best day Ryan Bader is worse than Rumble Johnson in almost every area so that's why I think he's going to get set back again if that fight does go down. But I think if his strategy is to wait out the winner of DC vs Jones II he's going to get skipped over real quickly.

You probably aren't wrong. Anything on the feet where Bader "may" have the advantage is completely nullified by Rumble's godlike power. Where I do think Bader could win that matchup is on the ground and in a scramble, places where Johnson has been vulnerable in the past. That being said, Rumble by (the obvious) KO.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Dangersim posted:

Rashad is old and broken down, and has been figured out. All he has is a big overhand right. If you are aware of this and can box a bit you'll win as long as you can avoid the takedowns, which is getting easier as he has lost a bunch of explosiveness.

I don't know if he even has a big overhand right. He doesn't exactly have a ton of T/KO's, and even those are against questionable competition (Tito and Chuck well past their primes aren't exactly, well, elite). He hit it once, in a great moment, but other than that, he's been fairly mediocre.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Dangersim posted:

I think all these people should fight each other to settle it

I like this.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Ewar Woowar posted:

Tibau is amazing. He's been around forever and I've seen him fight a ton but I can not remember a single one of his fights. He's truly the most average of fighters.

I was trying to describe Tibau to someone the other day and I really should have just used your description.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Le Saboteur posted:

So DC and Jon Jones got into it on Twitter this evening and seemingly agreed to an unsanctioned fight at Jackson MMA tomorrow.

I read it as an unsanctioned wrestling match, but I also haven't slept in 48 hours so maybe that has something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
Dags.

• Locked thread