Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I don't have my list of films prepared, I'm doing this on the fly daily. I hope it's ok to post daily with my film updates -- if not, please let me know, OP.

1. Sleepaway Camp

I forgot how much I liked this movie. I originally found out about this movie years ago....on the Fridaythe13thfilms forum if I remember correctly. The weird thing about this movie is that while I don't think many people could name this film at a glance I'd guess that a lot more people would recognize the twist ending.

Angela is played well, and Ricky is great. The assholes are great assholes, and the deaths are dumb but still entertaining, and drat it's weird to see pedophelia so blatant for multiple scenes ("We call 'em baldies...makes your mouth water just thinkin' about 'em"). the music is great too, plays with the frenzy in the scenes.

I give this movie :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: /5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Franchescanado posted:

For anyone watching Sleepaway Camp, give its sequel a chance. It's very low-budget, and shows, but I had a fun time watching it.

It knows it's going straight to VHS, and just tries to have goofy fun instead of scares.

It's interesting because it eliminates the guess work of who the killer is early, and tries to build suspense by putting other characters with the killer. Also, the main character is Bruce Springsteen's sister, Pamela Springsteen, who is charming and trying really hard, but quickly bowed out of direct-to-vhs sequels to pursue a successful career in photography.

Agree 100%. HOWEVER I will say this -- do not go into into the sequels expecting the same experience as the original film. The sequel are extremely self-reflective of the horror film genre, and are the opposite of the tone of the first film.

As much as I like the first film, I enjoy the sequels more, with Unhappy Campers being my favorite. And Pamela Springsteen is so adorable :blush:

(Unfortunately Unhappy Campers and Teenage Wasteland will probably not make my Challenge list, I can't find my DVDs :( )

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Got up to my daily count, here we go...

Horror Movie Challenge Completed List:

1. Sleepaway Camp

What I just watched:

2. In the Mouth of Madness

A tale of of Carpenter's ego and a tribute to Lovecraft, we follow a insurance investigator hired by a publisher to locate a missing writer, famed for his works about Lovecraft-ian horrors.

It's hard to eloquently explain my position on this film. I remember liking this movie a lot when I first saw it, which was '94 so I was 10 at the time, so that may explain what I'm about to criticize. The biggest problem with this film for me is the acting, which is ranges from over the top to underwhelming to just odd. Sam Neil's portrayal of a skeptical investigator at points looks like he's just either tired or uninterested in doing certain scenes.

BUT

Neil does redeem himself when he is portrayed as scared/terrified, which thankfully happens in abundance as the movie's setting becomes the Lovecraft-ian playground. I really enjoyed the horror elements of this film and how the pace out the scares and suspense. Once they arrive in the Lovecraft village the plotting of the film is paced quick but doesn't overwhelm/confuse you; the Lovecraft horrors are thrown at you in a way that lets you understand the main's character's frustration and panic as he is scrambling to understand what is happening.

(I wanted to rate this higher but the acting really took me out of it enough to give it the rating below)

:spooky: :spooky: .5 / 5

3. Friday the 13th

I wanted to keep the movie summaries vague on the chance that a goon reading hadn't seen the film, but it's Friday the 13th, everyone knows the tale -- counselors helping renovate and re-open Camp Crystal Lake are being murdered by Pamela Voorhees, who lost her son Jason years prior because the counselors then weren't paying attention.

I love 80s horror movies. Just love 'em. This is no exception. I love the pacing, the music, everything. Compared to more modern horror films it's incredibly tame but that's what I love about it. The horror elements of this film are more grounded and more impactful because of it.

It's Friday the 13th, just go watch it!

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: / 5

4. Friday the 13th pt. II

The introduction into Jason proper -- after the first film, counselors are gathered at Crystal Lake for training and become the target of Jason's revenge.

This one is a hard one for me to rate. In my memories this film doesn't really stand out compared to the later sequels (better than Jason Takes Manhattan to be sure though), but that doesn't mean it's a bad film. I liked Jason's presence in this one, but the rest of the cast aren't as memorable.

It's a good watch, but overall doesn't really stand out of the crowd, for the most part.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: / 5

5. Friday the 13th pt. III

IN 3-D!

Hoooo-boy, this film. How do you get people to watch your movie? Stick poo poo right into the camera! Whether it's a wooden handle, weed, or a eyeball, you're gonna have poo poo shoved at your screen.

Since people don't get that Crystal Lake is a death sentence, we have yet again another group of teenagers visiting a cabin on said Lake who get hunted by Jason. This film marks the first time we see Jason with his iconic mask, along with the signature crack in the upper portion from a axe (which I think either disappears or changes sides in later films).

The 3D is sooooooo dumb...they couldn't even hide the strings pulling the objects to the camera! 15 minutes into the film and we already see a snake on a string coming at ya!

The cast here is more memorable than the prior film, although some for their bad performance (hello, biker gang). Also, gently caress Shelley, even I was annoyed by that guy.

The terrible 3D and the bikers are the main reason for my rating below:

:spooky: :spooky: .5 / 5

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 6, 2015

• Locked thread