Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Halloween is the only good holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ok, best non-food holiday.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Where'd you see Blue Sunshine, by the way? I've never been able to track that one down.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i did this a year or so ago. for the most part it was a blast, but i strongly caution you against watching the final season.

The only good thing about the final season is enjoying what are essentially cameos from people who became famous a decade later.

At least Twilight Zone on video/hour long had some genuinely great episodes. Tales from the Crypt in England was a whole lot of nothing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

paradoxGentleman posted:

I finally picked this up again and watched The Others. Holy poo poo was it good. Are haunted house stories normally this good? I absolutely did not predict the twist until the end.

Nope, but now you get to watch The Innocents.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Watrick posted:

I remember Bobcat in an episode, but for the life of me I can't remember the plot. Could you enlighten me, please?

Master and protege ventriloquists.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm trying to think of other political Italian horror films, other than Africa Addio type stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BioTech posted:

#10 Lake Mungo
This started off really strong, but I feel it lost steam after half an hour or so and just dragged itself towards the ending. They wrapped it up nicely, but most of the goodwill from the beginning was gone by then. I mean, what did the storylines about the psychic and the sex tape really add? It really felt like they were padding the concept because after the initial pitch they couldn't come up with anything else. Still, an interesting and original take on the subject, even if it was quite uneven.

Don't make me scream at you.

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

16. The Creature Walks Among Us (1956) 2/5

Jesus Christ. There's a great night hunt scene in the Everglades and a sequence with a sonar that Ridley Scott probably took notice of as a kid. And that's where the film ends because then the Creature turns into a sort of cross between the Beast of Yucca Flats and one of those fuckers from Enemy Mine. And he stands around in a cage before walking into the sea. The End.

I'm sorry you didn't like it!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BioTech posted:

Like most of the stuff I'm watching this month it was recommended somewhere here and I can see why, but it doesn't do it for me. I didn't care much for The Babadook either, so it is probably me. I'd love to talk about it in the October thread, maybe you can shed some light on what I'm missing?

I'm just going from memory here but specifically about the two things you mentioned: the sex tape.

This is the hinge on which the entire film turns, because we get the reactions from the dad and the brother that they really didn't know who Alice was, and finally an insight into the mom. The film's not just about what happened to Alice, but these strange reactions that her surviving family has had to her death. Alice's mom is probably the most interesting character of all, emotionally attuned, yet distant and enigmatic. She's also the character most like Alice. With the psychic, she directly identifies with her daughter. She sees herself in the past, just as Alice catches a (terrifying) glimpse of herself in the future. There's that emotional linkage but no real connection, almost like her mother overvalued her independence to the point they had no conscious, outward relationship.

So on the one hand, you have this almost clinical empathy from the mother, like understanding without love, and the dad is the total opposite. He does not understand her at all but loves her anyhow. I find that interplay very moving because there are no film-like outbursts, just these kind of quiet re-enactments of trauma and resentment. What is a ghost, after all, but unresolved emotional tension?

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

I'm probably being too harsh, but I'll have to trust my gut until the eventual re-watch. Maybe the Creature as an Atomic Age Frankenstein's Monster will grow on me but it seemed to just kill the vitality of the thing.

Nah, it's honestly not that great. None of the Creature movies are, really, outside of the novel location and great effects. They're kind of like The Mummy in that way. I just find the scenario of Walks Among Us quite evocative and melancholy for some reason.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Creepshow 3 is a fake movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It makes me feel the way many people feel about remakes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The final one is The Hitchhiker right? That one is shockingly gruesome.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Watch Body Bags, in which John Carpenter introduces the vignettes as a hippy morgue attendant.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I only watched Necronomicon once but don't remember a thing about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Without the psychic, you don't have as oblique a reference to Twin Peaks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm still unsure to this day of how I feel about 2 or 0.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skywalker OG posted:

I agree with you twice. Bug is fantastic. Conjuring attempts to make clapping scary.

You say this like it's a bad thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Watrick posted:

I wonder in 20-30 years if people will hold these recent-ish horror movies will be considered cult classics. There were tons of direct to video horror flicks that I enjoy, but a lot of stuff today just seems bad. Not even fun bad, just terrible.

What, like in the 80's?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wake up bitch!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wow, Asylum Blackout was that good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Experiments in Terror Vol. I

I haven't thought about this in a million years, how did you like it?

• Locked thread