Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
reposting from the October Chat thread;

okay so I'm attempting the 31 Movies challenge(starting late enough in the month that I'm not going to beat myself up if I fail though I'm definitely going to try to hit 13 at minimum), here's what I've watched so far;

1. Monster Squad: overall pretty good, feels like it could have been 20-40 minutes longer though to flesh some things out properly and give Mummy and Gillman more screentime(both feel as though they were added to the movie relatively last minute compared to Dracula, Frankenstein, and Wolf-Man), definitely at least an 8/10, maybe even a 9/10

2. Halloween III: Season of The Witch: in my opinion this is a fantastic and atmospheric movie that is surprisingly minimalist in nature which just ramps up the horror in my opinion(even if it is a bit slow in parts), would be interesting to see it get a remake someday, I'd say 8.5/10

not completely sure what I'm going to watch next, but The Stuff and Q: The Winged Serpent are likely candidates(indeed a very large amount of the movies I'm probably going to watch this month are going to be from the 80's due to 80sHorror.net making it easy to watch a lot of these movies, especially those movies on this list)

anyone have any other good suggestions, preferably one's with minimal jump scare moments(never been a huge fan of those)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

3. The Stuff: that was a really entertaining movie(if relatively light on the actual scares) full of fun characters(rest in piece Chocolate Chip Charlie:smith:), heck they even made the Right Wing Nut a relatively sympathetic person:patriot:, also Jason is one intense kid:black101::stare:, overall I'd give it a :spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:½ out of 5 possible :spooky:(decided to switch to this rating system instead as it's more fun)

up next will probably be either Q: The Winged Serpent or The Burning unless anyone has any good suggestions otherwise

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

I think there are good things about both of those, really. The Burning is relatively slow for good stretches with some extreme, pulpy scenes that stand out even for a slasher film. Q is more about the two leads than the creature, to the movie's benefit.

yeah Q I've wanted to watch for years, and The Burning sounded pretty interesting as being an early Friday The 13th clone, but hearing that it takes influence from the Cropsey urban legend propelled it even further up my list(as the whole Cropsey myth and the real world events that influenced it are a personal fascination of mine, by the way there's a wonderful documentary on Netflix called Cropsey that goes into this in detail), overall I'll admit I'm relatively inexperienced with Horror(was one of those kids with low tolerances for scary stuff), so it'll be nice to get further acquainted with the genre(watched a bunch of the old Hammer Horror Dracula movies earlier this year, maybe I'll rewatch some of those and get around to watching Dracula AD 1972 to finish out the set of 4 HH Dracula Movies I own)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

You want a earworm, you can't beat out the Silver Shamrock jingle from Halloween 3: Season of The Witch, or the jingle for The Stuff

Also been trying to get through Q: The Winged Serpent the last couple of days, but it's been more difficult than it should be, maybe I'll switch to a different movie for now and come back to it later

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BioTech posted:

#21 Friday the 13th

This was a disappointment. I read it was the movie that popularized the slasher genre after Halloween, but I just don't see it. I felt that nothing really happened and the movie just wandered around aimlessly. It didn't use this calm to build tension, develop the characters in any meaningful way or go somewhere, it just was. Like, it was a movie about some bored teens and then some of them just happen to get killed and it didn't seem to matter.

I was surprised Jason didn't show up in his mask, with what little I know about the Friday movies that was the one thing I expected. I assume he only becomes a factor in the sequels, but much like Halloween, NoES and Hellraiser I'm not sure I want to walk through that minefield.

from what I've heard the films from 2 onward are better, at least for the first couple of them, also you should give The Burning a watch, supposedly it does what Friday The 13th in a better fashion or at least a more entertaining one

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

1. Monster Squad
2. Halloween III: Season of The Witch
3. The Stuff

4. Cybernetics Guardian(1989): I'll admit I'm slightly cheating as this movie is only partially a Horror movie being just as much(if not more) an Action movie, but I'm horribly behind on this challenge and as this OVA is only 42 minutes in total it makes for a nice bit of filler, overall this is one of those OVA's that's incredibly obscure today for kinda obvious reasons, it's incredibly short as mentioned before, it's plot is incredibly barebones(if fairly serviceable, and would have benefited well from a sequel or two), but it does have some nice action, is visually very good looking, and has a surprisingly kickass soundtrack, also for those of you familiar with Anime this movie was directed by the same person who did MD Geist, and Genocyber which are bit more (in)famous
:spooky::spooky::spooky:½ out of 5

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

I don't think it's specifically on wednesdays that lurd does weirdstream, but I made sure to tell him to put me on the list for notifying when they happen.

What's weirdstream, sounds fun?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm kinda mad at myself for only managing about 4-5 movies, for some reason I was having difficulty getting myself motivated enough to watch anything, despite having enjoyed all the movies I finished for this challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

1. Monster Squad

2. Halloween III: Season of The Witch

3. The Stuff

4. Cybernetics Guardian

as mentioned before I didn't watch much this season(besides these I got about halfway through Q: The Winged Serpent, and about 15 minutes into The Burning), of these I'd say Monster Squad was the most competently made(although it could have used an extra 20 to 40 minutes to flesh some things out and have Mummy and Gill-Man be more relavant), but they are all pretty fun, heck I'm surprised no-one's tried to do a reboot of The Stuff, it practically sells itself(heck the only real changes I'd make for a modern version outside of necessary updates and making it slightly faster paced would be having The Stuff putting up more of a fight during the raid towards the end, and not having Chocolate Chip Charlie become a Stuffy offscreen and get killed due to it)

a friend of mine Bogleech likes to comment that he considers the Halloween season to last between the 1st of August(around the time that Halloween stuff starts showing up in some stores), to sometime in January(due to both him not being the biggest fan of Christmas, and cause he runs a Creepypasta contest between November and New Years and January is when he reveals the results), so I might take a note from him, and spend the time between now and then trying to fill out my original 31 films plan, possibly go even further

• Locked thread