Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rivarz
Oct 11, 2004
He who flows like water
Focus of my October is to watch (and make my wife watch) as many Universal horror classics as possible.

1: The Wolfman (1941)

My personal favorite of the universal monsters. To me, it's also one of the most watchable, and the best jumping in point for a new person. It's only 70 minutes long, and is a pretty fun movie. It's not scary, even for 1941, but does have a truly sympathetic protagonist. The wolfman makeup is pretty neat. Lon Cheney and Claude Rains are both good in their roles. Lugosi is in it for like 3 minutes too. There's not much more to say, it's just a fun movie all around. My wife enjoyed it, so that's cool too.

Next up: Hotel Transylvania (We're babysitting my little brother and sister in-law) and Hotel Transylvania 2. (Plus Lurdiak's Scream Stream as soon as the kids start watching something else/go to sleep)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rivarz
Oct 11, 2004
He who flows like water
My reviews aren't very good. I'm going to try to put more effort into these after today, but it's a pain in the rear end to write these with a kid hanging off you.

2. Monster House

I had to watch a kid friendly movie due to baby sitting duties...not too much horror to it, but enough that my 8 year old brother-in-law refused to go down the dark hall to the bathroom by himself. He may be a chicken.
A kid sees his neighbor die, and soon the man's house becomes haunted and he and his buddies investigate. I love the way this movie is shot (is there another word for that in an animated movie). Everything is framed really well, and it reminds me of a 70's horror movie in a way. The basic story is done in typical Dan Harmon style, and uses a lot of good horror tropes without being too cheesy. Definitely a classic for kids, and safer to show young kids than Monster Squad.

3. 1408

Thanks to Lurdiak for introducing me to this one. John Cusack is a chubby man who wears bad hats and gets stuck in a crazy hotel room. There were a lot more things I liked about this movie than disliked.
Good List:
Sets
Atmosphere
Pacing
Background Music
Most of the acting

Bad list:
Not sure of why anything really happened in the movie. I get the themes, but I don't get why the room did stuff.
John Cusack's hat provider.

I really enjoyed it.

4. Final Destination

I hadn't seen this movie since it came out. How the hell was Devon Sawa ever popular (outside of SLC Punk)? He has such a weird face, and his acting makes me think he was high the whole time. He won a freaking award for this too. Anyway, I like how the deaths in this are more serious than the sequels. They're not quite as rube goldberg-ish as later ones, but they build a lot more tension into them. Who names their daughter Clear Waters? What a lovely final girl. Dick move. Like a lot of these teen ensemble cast movies, no one is very likable, and you're glad when they die. Good concept for a film, decent execution. Fun for drinking or watching with friends.

5. Hotel Transylvania

Stay with me, I know this has Adam Sandler in it. This may be the only Adam Sandler movie in the last decade I actually like. Dracula owns a hotel for monsters, some kid shows up, his daughter gets the hots for him, good natured fun happens, the king of Queens hangs out with emperor kuzco, no one dies, and Adam Sandler sings a rap song with Andy Samberg, Celo Green and Selena Gomez. It's actually better than that makes it sound. Yeah, there are some eye-rolling scenes, but I've been subjected to waaaaaay worse kids movies (looking at you Inside Out and Cars 2). Don't get me wrong. It's not on par with Monster Squad or Monster House, but it is watchable at least once or twice.

• Locked thread