Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Party Plane Jones posted:

When the Republican candidates are currently worse than Goldwater, I'd have a hard time seeing exactly how it's be 1972: Part 2 (they wish they had a candidate that came close to even nixon boogaloo)
I think you will find this is the strongest Republican presidential field in history!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This is like reason #101 why you shouldn't loving have classified info on unsecured machines.

This entire scandal really amuses me though because it's always fun watching a rich person laugh off a raft of felonies that would send me to jail for the rest of my life.

Yeah powerful people getting away with serious crimes sucks but what do Patreaus's crimes have to do with Hilary's email server?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
If you would like to get extremely extremely angry about the justice system, here's a case I did a small amount of work on during the appeal that is one of the grossest miscarriages of justice I've ever witnessed.

http://truthinjustice.org/Paul-Gregory-House.pdf (PDF)

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/dead-wrong/Content?oid=1197019

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2014/05/03/death-row-to-freedom-paul-house/8577781/

There were, of course, zero consequences for anyone involved on the prosecution or forensic team.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Just to be clear, that's two completely separate cases where the real murderer made up a story about being a hit man to get out of the death penalty, resulting in an innocent person being slated for execution, right? Kimber Edwards and Richard Glossip. Is this like police shooting unarmed black people, where it's been going on everywhere for a while but just now making it into the news?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Crowsbeak posted:

Time to bring back finish reconstruction.

ftfy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

Do any of these people that execute innocents ever get punished?

Sometimes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They don't have an article up on it yet, so that's all I know.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

So much for a calm.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Now is not the time to discuss gun control. People are dead. Be respectful instead of using this for political gain.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon, which is in the southeast part of the state.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

zoux posted:

My brother goes to PCC, so I had a bit of a moment before google there.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Reports now are that the shooter is still active apparently, yikes.

edit: They just caught the shooter about 5 minutes ago now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It's too soon to talk about gun control. We must arm teachers. We must disarm teachers. We must arm students. We must disarm students. If he have gun this no happen. This happen because he have gun. Ban gun. Gun for all. Gun for healthy. Who says who is healthy? Thread destroyed.

I think that covers it and we can avoid a 50-page derail now

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

Reports now are that the shooter is still active apparently, yikes.

CNN is reporting he's in custody but like all developing stories, I wouldn't assume anything is factual for a couple of hours.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Netanyahu glowered at the UN for 45 seconds today, here's the video:

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/649652167431847936

edit: longer vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt5UPIwXTnc

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

If only there was a good guy with a gun on campus...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Should we just have assigned dormitories for Congress people to avoid shady real estate favors and make being wealthy not a prerequisite?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

Should we just have assigned dormitories for Congress people to avoid shady real estate favors and make being wealthy not a prerequisite?

Yeah but then we get Youtube celebrities in Congress.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

pathetic little tramp posted:

Netanyahu glowered at the UN for 45 seconds today, here's the video:

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/649652167431847936

edit: longer vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt5UPIwXTnc

No bomb chart? Not legitimate.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

greatn posted:

Wait, you don't get housing for being in Congress?! Well, that's one career path I'm not taking!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So why is Alabama allowed to be a state again? Literally rolled back the VRA and immediately start disenfranchising blacks. Wtf? Dissolve the state and give the proceeds to the disenfranchised.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Our flower power is no match for his....glower power

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

zoux posted:

Yeah but then we get Youtube celebrities in Congress.

At least with President Faze Censor we would have a really hot first lady.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This is only gonna change when some place like Harvard or Yale gets shot up. And I mean like a REAL mass shooting like this one apparently is with 15+ dead. Then all the Congressmen and other powerful white men in this country will go, "Oh poo poo! OUR KIDS could die next! This is a problem!" and we'll see change.

And the hosed up thing is that might be too optimistic.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/01/us/oregon-college-shooting/index.html

:smith:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jastiger posted:

So why is Alabama allowed to be a state again? Literally rolled back the VRA and immediately start disenfranchising blacks. Wtf? Dissolve the state and give the proceeds to the disenfranchised.

Jokes on you we are in debt and have no value, dissolve us and we'll actually make money on the deal

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah powerful people getting away with serious crimes sucks but what do Patreaus's crimes have to do with Hilary's email server?
I was under the impression that it was confirmed some of her emails contained data from NGA sources, and you can't take a poo poo at NGA without it being at least Secret.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This is only gonna change when some place like Harvard or Yale gets shot up. And I mean like a REAL mass shooting like this one apparently is with 15+ dead. Then all the Congressmen and other powerful white men in this country will go, "Oh poo poo! OUR KIDS could die next! This is a problem!" and we'll see change.

An elementary school got shot up and nothing happened. Nothing is going to happen this time either.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A terrorist assassinated a black politician in a church and nothing happened.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe if several thousand people died in a single shooting but apart from that, nah.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ohtsam posted:

An elementary school got shot up and nothing happened. Nothing is going to happen this time either.
A public elementary school! Which is why DEFINITELY nothing will happen this time either.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Someone could mow down the whole tea party caucus with at AR15 and the survivors still wouldn't support background checks

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I was under the impression that it was confirmed some of her emails contained data from NGA sources, and you can't take a poo poo at NGA without it being at least Secret.

The NYT is speculating at the political ramifications of Russian spam emails.

I have staff who get the same emails and they're about the same importance for infiltration as you or me.

There isn't anything in there so far and the fact that they're speculating about it shows a strong desire for yellow journalism.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Nope, so far all the releases have had the addendum that none of the emails now marked classified/whatever were such at the time they were sent.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/KP_KaylaMarie/status/649640629459267584

quote:

Kayla Marie
‏@KP_KaylaMarie
Students are running everywhere. Holy God.

quote:

Sara Sidner ‏@sarasidnerCNN 55m55 minutes ago
@KP_KaylaMarie Can you call me. I am with CNN. Follow me back.

quote:

James Armstrong ‏@jamesarmstrong7 20m20 minutes ago Toronto, Ontario
@KP_KaylaMarie Hi Kayla. I hope you're safe. If you can, I'm a reporter in Toronto - are you able to talk for a few minutes?

quote:

Jason Silverstein ‏@jaysunsilver 57m57 minutes ago
@KP_KaylaMarie Hey Kayla. I'm a reporter with New York Daily News...are you able to talk to me about what's happening there? Hope you're ok

quote:

Alana Abramson ‏@aabramson 47m47 minutes ago
@KP_KaylaMarie I am with @ABC in NY - can you follow me to DM if you are in a safe spot?

quote:

Alexis Tereszcuk ‏@swimmie2009 37m37 minutes ago
@KP_KaylaMarie please be safe. Could you call me I'm an editor with RadarOnline and wanted to get your story out 310-435-6989. or text.

quote:

Hannah Parry ‏@HJenningsParry 21m21 minutes ago Huntington Beach, CA
@KP_KaylaMarie I'm a Daily Mail reporter. If you are somewhere safe, can you follow me to DM, call 2123790660 or hannah.parry@dailymail.com

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

euphronius posted:

A terrorist assassinated a black politician in a church and nothing happened.

A freedom fighter blew a congressperson's head off at a speech and nothing happened.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hhhat posted:

Someone could mow down the whole tea party caucus with at AR15 and the survivors still wouldn't support background checks

If someone did that, neither would I.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Trabisnikof posted:

There are less than two months to declare and make it on the NH ballot. So the time for new candidates to join is closing pretty quick.

This is just as true for Biden. If Hillary is out with time to jump in, it's a madhouse. If it happens after that we're all going to be feelin' the Bern.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

A congresswoman was nearly killed in a mass shooting and nothing happened. Nearly two dozen six year olds were killed in a classroom and nothing happened. An avowed racist shot up a black church and nothing happened.

Nothing's ever going to happen. Even if there was a Mumbai-style mass shooting it would be about terrorists and not about guns.

I honestly don't know what it would take at this point. Hundreds of infants dead in a daycare mass shooting? Is it even possible to kill that many people in a mass shooting by a lone gunman, or is it capped at a couple dozen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Luigi Thirty posted:

A freedom fighter blew a congressperson's head off at a speech and nothing happened.

Don't forget the congressperson survived that and instead a 6 year old girl died.

• Locked thread