Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Once again, I'm sounding harsher on this film than I'd want to. It's a 3/5, but I'm just passionate because we know Raimi can make 5/5 films. We even briefly see Sam Raimi wake up during his own film for the exorcism scene, but then the movie goes right back to very dry and lifeless scenes of Christine worrying.

Nah, it's cool. I think the reason I tilt lower than you despite agreeing broadly about the high and low points of the film is that while I appreciate the artistry and passion behind the 1.5 scenes where Raimi returns to form or whatnot, it's still a mode that falls well outside of My Jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Wooooo Scream Stream! I've always wanted to join in on these alas being in the UK means they start about half past midnight (If I've worked it our right) that being said I may be able to join in on Saturday nights showing as I'm working a night shift on friday so will be in nightmode anyway.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
What's the game plan for this weekend?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
One quick point I wanna add to Shadow of the Vampire discussion before we move onto this weekend:

The most heartbreaking part of the movie to me is how, at the end, Shrek is just trying to drat hard to earn his prize. It's still a hosed up and monstrous goal, but you can see in how solicitous he is towards the female lead, and how much he acts his rear end off in his 'death scene' despite being an awful actor, that he has some strange notion of chivalry and propriety that means he's going to do his absolute damnedest to deserve this. And then, after recording the best possible death scene that someone with his limited abilities could, Murnau shrugs, throws it out, and films the death scene again. More authentically this time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Buzkashi posted:

Last year's sequel theme was so broad that it made it impossible to predict, but with this year being post-2000 its fun to guess.

I'm thinking at some point he'll show at least a few of these: The Descent, The Ring, The Strangers, The Ruins, 28 Days Later, The Mist, Ginger Snaps, Joy Ride.

That's leaving out the really recent stuff like As Above, So Below, It Follows, and You're Next. I'm not sure if he's going to show anything form the past year or two. For some reason I suspect he'll do Joyride at some point, its exactly the kind of forgotten early 2000's relic that he was probably thinking of when he chose this theme.

I keep saying "he" someone correct me if Lurdiak is not a guy.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Lurdiak's been really good about including movies that maybe aren't 100% gems but that have some very interesting scenes and elements amidst the terminal unevenness, which makes me wonder if something like Sinister is on the docket.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I would think The Ring would count against the no remakes rule, even though it's better than the original.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

mikeycp posted:

I would think The Ring would count against the no remakes rule, even though it's better than the original.

Correct, I forgot about that. Another likely candidate could be Jeepers Creepers, and yes I know about how the director is a creepy pedo.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Basebf555 posted:

Correct, I forgot about that. Another likely candidate could be Jeepers Creepers, and yes I know about how the director is a creepy pedo.

I've always hated Jeepers Creepers, and now I have even more reason to.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Watrick posted:

I've always hated Jeepers Creepers, and now I have even more reason to.

I always enjoyed it a lot(it was a really fun theatre experience) but its hard to watch it now and not think about the director.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Buzkashi posted:

Sorry, meant to post this earlier.

Beginning at 8:30 EST, Friday's features are...

Ginger Snaps

and...

The Lords of Salem

Tonight is also your chance to enter the raffle and win...

Be there!

That was seriously the best image I could find for the only well-designed poster Ginger Snaps has.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Does anyone else have a problem running UStream on Android devices? I couldn't get the scream stream to run on either my phone or tablet, and my notebook was having stuttering problems as well but I'm mostly sure that's because of the combination of my aging notebook and Ubuntu.

Are you using Ustream's Android app? I can't speak for it, but I have to assume it works better than just trying to use the website directly. I mean, you probably already tried that.

Basebf555 posted:

Last year's sequel theme was so broad that it made it impossible to predict, but with this year being post-2000 its fun to guess.

I'm thinking at some point he'll show at least a few of these: The Descent, The Ring, The Strangers, The Ruins, 28 Days Later, The Mist, Ginger Snaps, Joy Ride.

That's leaving out the really recent stuff like As Above, So Below, It Follows, and You're Next. I'm not sure if he's going to show anything form the past year or two. For some reason I suspect he'll do Joyride at some point, its exactly the kind of forgotten early 2000's relic that he was probably thinking of when he chose this theme.

I keep saying "he" someone correct me if Lurdiak is not a guy.

Good guesses! I might stream more of your guesses, or maybe Ginger Snaps was the only one you got right. We'll see...

And for the record, I'm aromantic agender.

Basebf555 posted:

Another likely candidate could be Jeepers Creepers, and yes I know about how the director is a creepy pedo.

We will not be watching movies directed by creepy pedos. Sorry, Bryan Singer!

mikeycp posted:

The Ring won't be appearing because it might be my most hated horror film of all time.

Jenny Angel posted:

One quick point I wanna add to Shadow of the Vampire discussion before we move onto this weekend:

The most heartbreaking part of the movie to me is how, at the end, Shrek is just trying to drat hard to earn his prize. It's still a hosed up and monstrous goal, but you can see in how solicitous he is towards the female lead, and how much he acts his rear end off in his 'death scene' despite being an awful actor, that he has some strange notion of chivalry and propriety that means he's going to do his absolute damnedest to deserve this. And then, after recording the best possible death scene that someone with his limited abilities could, Murnau shrugs, throws it out, and films the death scene again. More authentically this time.

Yeah, the whole climax of the film is brilliant and filled with so many oddly placed emotions and subtle touches. Like I said in stream, that final line stuck with me for years. By the way, I'm curious as to why you lowered the movie's score from 9/10 to 8/10 in between the stream night and your post?

Jenny Angel posted:

Lurdiak's been really good about including movies that maybe aren't 100% gems but that have some very interesting scenes and elements amidst the terminal unevenness, which makes me wonder if something like Sinister is on the docket.

As Jay Bauman once said, horror doesn't always have to be good, as long as it's memorable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just watched Lords of Salem last night, but I absolutely plan to tune into the stream because I'm very interested to see what people have to say about it.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

By the way, I'm curious as to why you lowered the movie's score from 9/10 to 8/10 in between the stream night and your post?

I have no response other than to be flattered that you paid enough attention to notice that I lowered the score from 9 to 8 skulls.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Lurdiak posted:

The Ring won't be appearing because it might be my most hated horror film of all time.

Ouch.

Unfortunately I have to watch Grave Encounters and The Bay before I record tomorrow morning, so I don't know how much of this I'm going to catch tonight. :(

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Yesss, both of those movies have been sitting in the middling "when I get to it" limbo tier of my inbox for ages, will definitely be tuning in tonight.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I just watched Lords of Salem last night, but I absolutely plan to tune into the stream because I'm very interested to see what people have to say about it.

I'm probably gonna be singing Dragula the whole time.

Jenny Angel posted:

I have no response other than to be flattered that you paid enough attention to notice that I lowered the score from 9 to 8 skulls.

CineD journalism strikes again #Jennygate.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can UK people enter the raffle for pizza because gently caress I want a pizza!

If not I guess I will still watch the movies anyways. :colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

dog days are over posted:

Can UK people enter the raffle for pizza because gently caress I want a pizza!

If not I guess I will still watch the movies anyways. :colbert:

As long as your weird british pizzerias accept online orders, I don't see why not!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
British pizza looks like this:

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
That just looks like a segregated doner

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Anonymous Robot posted:

British pizza looks like this:

Thats a munchy box..............we dont get them here in the south of the UK

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Sorry, I'm not a native. Here is the first Google image result for "British Pizza":

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

And underneath all that, marmite.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not convinced British people understand what food is.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

CineD journalism strikes again #Jennygate.

In all honesty it's because of the peak-end rule. It's a movie that gets better as it goes on - when Shrek shows up there's a jump in quality, and then again when Wagner shows up. But the first 20 minutes or so contain stuff like the lead actress complaining that the camera "drains life from her", which is on the nose enough to be distracting but not on the nose enough to be dope.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
aw fooey. There goes my track record for always having one new one at least in the stream each night for the challenge. I haven't even gotten one in at all today yet due to illness and house cleaning. Ah well, I'm already up to 16...I'll try to throw one on quick shortly.

Also, I wish I could join pizza raffle but I'll probably be out tomorrow so I can't.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Gaz2k21 posted:

Thats a munchy box..............we dont get them here in the south of the UK

What the christ is that? Do you just like.... grab a handful of onions and eat it or something?

I'm not sure if I'll be there tonight. There is a Nightmare on Elm Street marathon on IFC starting in 10 minutes. :buddy: I don't like Rob Zombie at all. He's terrible. I admit I haven't seen a lot of his stuff though so my opinion isn't very valid. But after what he did to Halloween, I don't know if I can forgive him. Seems like a cool guy though.

edit - I'm guessing since it's a Rob Zombie film, it will have some of the same actors that are in every single one of his movies and they'll probably be super trashy and/or have a troubled past. Basically what I'm saying is everything he does is the same and not original.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 9, 2015

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Pennywise the Frown posted:

What the christ is that? Do you just like.... grab a handful of onions and eat it or something?

I've never had one as I live in the south and it's not a thing here but from what I gather it's a pizza box filled with small portions of everything a kebab shop sells so you might get wings, kebab meat, salad, pizza etc etc it's pretty gross but I'm up north next month so might get one...........for science!

I doubt I can get the stream tonight as I'm at work (unless I can get it on my phone).

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ah I see. It would make some sort of sense if they sent buns with it so you can make a sandwich or something.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Why do so many of my image results for British Pizza have a sunny-side up egg in them

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
It's drunk food so I'd imagine northerners just shovel it into their faces with their hands, or a plastic fork or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It sounds like the stream might be a tad lonely tonight... I hope Sad Bulldog doesn't have to return as a result.

Jenny Angel posted:

In all honesty it's because of the peak-end rule. It's a movie that gets better as it goes on - when Shrek shows up there's a jump in quality, and then again when Wagner shows up. But the first 20 minutes or so contain stuff like the lead actress complaining that the camera "drains life from her", which is on the nose enough to be distracting but not on the nose enough to be dope.

That's fair, although I love all the stuff at the beginning, on-the-nose foreshadowing and all.

Max Schreck is going to rise from the grave and ask you to stop calling him Shrek.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 9, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

It sounds like the stream might be a tad lonely tonight... I hope Sad Bulldog doesn't have to return as a result.

I'll try my best to actually chat, usually I just get caught up watching the movie and reading what others are saying.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Wow, you guys aren't kidding. British pizza is crazy.

Then there's this:

Rivarz
Oct 11, 2004
He who flows like water
Does anyone else have issues with Ustream interrupting every like 15 minutes to pop in a commercial?

It only happens on my pc, and I haven't seen anyone else complain about it, so I wasn't sure if there was some easy fix that I'm too oblivious to notice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rivarz posted:

Does anyone else have issues with Ustream interrupting every like 15 minutes to pop in a commercial?

It only happens on my pc, and I haven't seen anyone else complain about it, so I wasn't sure if there was some easy fix that I'm too oblivious to notice.

There is.

JetpackJeezus
Jul 27, 2011

Heaven Can Wait

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't find out about this until Sunday night last weekend (kind of upset that I missed most of Shadow of the Vampire), but I'll probably be there for all the movies this weekend. I plan to win all the pizza. :getin:

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If it puts anybody's mind at ease I would be requesting either a Dominos, Pizza Hut or Papa Johns pizza

Rivarz
Oct 11, 2004
He who flows like water

Awesome.

Thanks Lurdiak!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Please don't use AdBlock. There is a ton of poo poo wrong with that blocker. One of them being that a company bought them out and automatically whitelists some ads. They are lovely.

Luckily there is an alternative! uBlock

• Locked thread