Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You better not bail on us again tonight. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Everyone is wrong at least once.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

:rolleyes: COLLEGE KIDS

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Wanna hear you spit game about it

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Hat Thoughts posted:

Wanna hear you spit game about it

I'm not entirely sure you're using this term right

Scorecard for weekend 2, only caught 3 of them this time

Lords of Salem
Rating: 6 skulls out of 10
Most Interesting Aspect: The visual payoff, after a first half full of desaturated and incredibly grimy visuals, of the opulent Satanic palace

Let the Right One In
Rating: 9 skulls out of 10
Most Interesting Aspect: Hoyte van Hoytema's impeccable talent for folding every possible shot into themes of blurred public/private spaces and isolation through cultural blind eyes

The Cabin in the Woods
Rating: 2 skulls out of 10
Most Interesting Aspect: The Pinhead guy's subdued facial reactions when the protagonist loses her poo poo and pounds on his enclosure

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jenny Angel posted:

Let the Right One In
Rating: 9 skulls out of 10
Most Interesting Aspect: Hoyte van Hoytema's impeccable talent for folding every possible shot into themes of blurred public/private spaces and isolation through cultural blind eyes

I really liked how this movie had a lot of completely horrible and creepy stuff happening (a child gets murdered fairly early on, and one character is obviously a pedophile) but none of it felt exploitative or gratuitous. Good cinematography makes a big difference in how the material comes across.

I also liked how the movie had obvious transgender themes but didn't feel the need to spell them out. It's just a thing that's in the movie.

Jenny Angel posted:

The Cabin in the Woods
Rating: 2 skulls out of 10
Most Interesting Aspect: The Pinhead guy's subdued facial reactions when the protagonist loses her poo poo and pounds on his enclosure

Yeah, I think I just really hate meta-horror. Please just do the thing instead of commenting on the thing, film-makers.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, I think I just really hate meta-horror. Please just do the thing instead of commenting on the thing, film-makers.

Like I said last night, meta-horror can be dope as hell, as per recent standouts Resolution and You're Next. I just think it needs to have more interesting things to say than "Have you considered that this genre... [smokes extremely impressive pipe] is bad?"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Like I said in chat last night, "How come characters in horror movies do things that allow the events of the film to unfold?"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Sounds like I missed the good film last night, but I got to see the 'release all the monsters into our office for no apparent reason' button.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wish my last job had that button.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm not entirely sure you're using this term right

Stop spitting game at me

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm perfectly fine with Lurdiak having completely contrary positions on like 90% of what we watch as me. As the gap broadens, I'll find myself in "nemesis" status sooner or later.

And Yes, as I said in chat, I'm a sucker for meta-horror, probably cause I'm a snob with a film degree. I will admit that Cabin is not a great movie, but it's also not a bad movie if you're looking at it all snobby like the filmmakers want you to. All the stuff inside the cabin (besides down in the celler full o evil stuff, natch) is admittedly boring and over long, but in my reading they're less saying the horror genre is bad as much as they're saying the trope of teenagers in the woods terrorized by rednecks and/or zombies is overdone and stale (Again, remember this is criticizing 00s horror, not 10s horror that started moving in other directions) but the ambition of the film is clear, especially with the chutzpah it took to do such a special effects heavy finale (seriously, only like half the monsters are CGI, and then it's usually the giant things. Nobody in chat even talked about my 2nd favorite monsters, the Dismemberment Goblins, who are the Gremlins/Ghoulies/etc pastiche--little monsters about 2-3 feet tall with huge grins on their faces the whole time just having a ball. At one point they steal one of the golf carts if you're looking close.)

Also in chat we talked for a moment about Scream, which got the post-modern, self-referencing game into the limelight (they didn't invent it). Which is a thing that bothers me. As a straightforward stalk n slash, it's an excellent film, one of the best. As the self-referential, genre bending film everyone talks it up about and it was WAY up its own rear end in a top hat about when it came out, it's an utter dismal failure. But because again it's an incredibly good slasher, and it pretty much saved a dying mainstream horror film industry in the mid-90s, everyone tries to say it's because of what it did different rather than what it did right. It spends so much time pointing out cliches and tropes, then doing those exact things. That's not breaking the trope or being rebellious. That's only being self aware enough to realize something is stupid before going ahead and doing it for adoration, jackass style. And the thing is, I was mid teens when the movie came out and the square target demographic, so I was surrounded by literally every piece of media relating to the film, from interviews to news articles, to sound bites, to reviews, to advertisements, to even word of mouth from my friends all telling me how good the film was, for all the wrong reasons. That it started a wave of uninspired, limp, self-referential slashers (including its own sequels) instead of smart, well made, tension filled ones says a lot about how wrong they were. It took me like a decade to see through the saturation of incorrect assumptions and realize what made Scream a good film, and I've seen the wave of opinion kinda also moving in that direction slowly for some time, but it's also easy to forget just how much pop culture tried to tell us it was the self-reference parts that made it good, and how much at the time it worked, like some sort of magic spell.

Sorry, I'll get off my grumpy old man soapbox. I just really like self-referential horror and it makes me sore when someone's praised so highly for doing it wrong. I'd have more fun with lower quality films that do it right, like Waxworks or Evil Ed. [/rant]

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I will say, while there've been some movies I really disliked this year, we've luckily not watched anything I would call a piece of poo poo, like Xtro2 or American Werewolf in Paris. The latter is technically well made in some respects, but boy did it not engage.

And Choco you could never be my nemesis, you're too much of a bro-bro.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Lurdiak what's the worst film that's been on the stream so far this year

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's hard to say. Probably Lords of Salem for me. It was so incoherent and the camera work was really distracting. Slither really pissed me off but that was mostly the script and visual gags, the actual film-making was mostly fine (the CG slugs didn't look the best).

Although Final Destination might be the one that kinda sucks the most in every category. Goofy script, unlikeable actors, terrible special effects, uninspired cinematography. But I still overall kinda like that dumb movie. It's the kind of trashy horror I'm used to watching as someone who rented a lot of bad DTV horror in the VHS days, so its flaws are almost nostalgic to me.

Oh yeah, while I'm thinking about it, the 2003 Willard remake was originally in the lineup for this year's stream, until I found out it's a remake. I recommend watching that if y'all have any spare time during the week. I can't call it great, but it's a very interesting film to me.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 12, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, I think I have to agree that Final Destination ends up ranking overall the lowest, not because it is actively bad, but rather offensively mediocre in every way, compared to how a few of the films may have had some things you could say was worse, yet have just as many things that were better. It's basically the mean-average low bar this month.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Detention is s great meta-horror and I'll get into a slap fight with any of you over it. Of course, I'll only back up my argument with personal attacks against you.

I wish I could be more critical of horror though. It takes a lot for me to say that it isn't worth a watch again. I've liked everything that has been on the stream so far, some more than others obviously, but I find redeeming qualities in all of it. I still loving hate Scream though.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
Even the worst things I've seen this year I am willing to give about a 4/10 to. Mostly because I find the worst offenders to be lazy and boring movies, rather than comparatively incompetent ones.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but if you think that Lords of Salem was incoherent, I'd say maybe try watching it by yourself so you can focus on the movie more fully instead of reading other people's comments and writing your own.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but if you think that Lords of Salem was incoherent, I'd say maybe try watching it by yourself so you can focus on the movie more fully instead of reading other people's comments and writing your own.

I should specify that I don't mean incoherent in a narrative sense. The story is fairly easy to follow, despite the constant abrupt transitions from psychedelic imagery and normal stuff. I just mean that I didn't understand what the movie was going for in most scenes.

I'll likely give it and Slither another chance sometime.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

So are these streams just people ripping on the movie being shown? Like a bad MST3K?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

So are these streams just people ripping on the movie being shown? Like a bad MST3K?

Not really, but Lords of Salem didn't go over well at all. If everyone likes the movie they just talk about the reasons they like it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The chat is just for chatting. We talk about what's going on in the movie, positively or negatively. Arguing can happen if opinions differ, or people who are big into the movie can offer insights or behind the scene anecdotes. But overall the Scream Stream is meant to be a love letter to horror films and Halloween, not some kind of snarky takedown.

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

Even the worst things I've seen this year I am willing to give about a 4/10 to. Mostly because I find the worst offenders to be lazy and boring movies, rather than comparatively incompetent ones.

I'm probably in the same boat, although I don't really use a rating system.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

All the stuff inside the cabin (besides down in the celler full o evil stuff, natch) is admittedly boring and over long, but in my reading they're less saying the horror genre is bad as much as they're saying the trope of teenagers in the woods terrorized by rednecks and/or zombies is overdone and stale (Again, remember this is criticizing 00s horror, not 10s horror that started moving in other directions) but the ambition of the film is clear...

It's probably mostly down to the difference between watching it with a group that's into it vs. a group that's not but I definitely cooled on Cabin some with last night's stream - jokes that worked for me on the first pass didn't on the repeat viewing, which is basically all the movie has holding it together for a big chunk of run time. I think it also suffered a lot from showing up right after Let the Right One In, because I can remember a grand total of like 1.5 shots that did anything remotely engaging with the camera.

I still think it's sort of an interesting movie, though, in large part because the obvious readings I hear people identify whenever it comes up so obviously and completely don't work. There are a ton of wildly different reasons people are into horror as a genre and they often have very little overlap. I've never actually met one who is into the whole transgression and punishment thing, though - that feels like it's mostly an artifact of people having no loving clue what made early slasher movies work and consequently mimicking everything they could identify. So reading the giant tantrum gods as horror fans is a total non-starter; at best they work as a completely mythical focus group sort of thing, but somehow a lot of people seem to go for that interpretation anyway, which is kind of weird and interesting in its own right. Combine that with none of the characters actually conforming to the roles they're supposed to be in (they're being drugged from before we meet them, the jock is also a scholar and the scholar obviously works out, cheap joke about virginity, etc.) and I'm left with the sense that it's all mostly about the failure of archetypes as a means of understanding the world. The unfortunate part of this is that we never get anything about who these kids are, just tiny glimpses to tell us they're not really the people we're seeing in the movie, so if you share the feeling Lurdiak expressed wherein you really need characters you care about to get into the movie, it would be impossible to care about. Unless you really love weedman.

Which I guess is a long-winded way of saying it's a miracle anyone likes this movie for reasons other than genuinely enjoying Whedon dialogue, but horror is a weird as gently caress + cool genre and I think it's fun thinking about horror.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yaws posted:

No, it's all over the place. Some people in fact seem to be masturbating to the movie and say how great it is every 5 minutes.

It can be praising or making GBS threads on the movie, both of which can be annoying if done too much. It'd be better if people were more light hearted and comical about it. Some people take their movies pretty seriously though.

Overall it's pretty fun and I suggest checking it out. All of the movies so far, good or bad, have been reasonably entertaining and Lurdiak has been doing a very good job with it. I actually prefer the after party to the main two movies. It seems to settle down a bit. You can also win a free pizza if you donate to Lurdiak's stream!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Irony.or.Death posted:

It's probably mostly down to the difference between watching it with a group that's into it vs. a group that's not but I definitely cooled on Cabin some with last night's stream - jokes that worked for me on the first pass didn't on the repeat viewing, which is basically all the movie has holding it together for a big chunk of run time. I think it also suffered a lot from showing up right after Let the Right One In, because I can remember a grand total of like 1.5 shots that did anything remotely engaging with the camera.

I still think it's sort of an interesting movie, though, in large part because the obvious readings I hear people identify whenever it comes up so obviously and completely don't work. There are a ton of wildly different reasons people are into horror as a genre and they often have very little overlap. I've never actually met one who is into the whole transgression and punishment thing, though - that feels like it's mostly an artifact of people having no loving clue what made early slasher movies work and consequently mimicking everything they could identify. So reading the giant tantrum gods as horror fans is a total non-starter; at best they work as a completely mythical focus group sort of thing, but somehow a lot of people seem to go for that interpretation anyway, which is kind of weird and interesting in its own right. Combine that with none of the characters actually conforming to the roles they're supposed to be in (they're being drugged from before we meet them, the jock is also a scholar and the scholar obviously works out, cheap joke about virginity, etc.) and I'm left with the sense that it's all mostly about the failure of archetypes as a means of understanding the world. The unfortunate part of this is that we never get anything about who these kids are, just tiny glimpses to tell us they're not really the people we're seeing in the movie, so if you share the feeling Lurdiak expressed wherein you really need characters you care about to get into the movie, it would be impossible to care about. Unless you really love weedman.

Which I guess is a long-winded way of saying it's a miracle anyone likes this movie for reasons other than genuinely enjoying Whedon dialogue, but horror is a weird as gently caress + cool genre and I think it's fun thinking about horror.

I don't totally disagree with you here, yet ironically, Whedon's dialogue is the one part of the film I absolutely cannot stand, nor can I in almost any other thing he's attached to. I think on the surface layer, yes that poorly worked out reading of the elder gods as entitled horror fans is intentional. But a more careful reading almost comes across as the whole thing being what Hollywood thinks horror should be, with its tired tropes it has to force out, and techniques that are obviously not working on elder audience anymore. Honestly, the film's very end should have worked out different, like with a different result than they were saying would happen the whole time, then the message that Hollywood beating a dead horse merely because it's what they think we want rather than what we do would have been a lot more obvious.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Beginning at 8:30 EST, Friday's features are...

Secret Window

and...

30 Days of Night

Tonight is also your chance to enter the raffle and win...

Be there!

PSA: If you don't enjoy Johnny Depp, that poster for Secret Window is pretty accurate. This is nearly 1408 levels of focusing on the lead.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
There are "people" who don't like Depp??

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
If 30 Days of Night ends up being good, expect me to be insufferable about how my boy David Slade also did good work on The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jenny Angel posted:

If 30 Days of Night ends up being good, expect me to be insufferable about how my boy David Slade also did good work on The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

30 Days of Night isn't a great movie, but it is pretty unique so I think its worth a watch for any fan of the genre. Its a premise I hadn't really seen before, and the(spoiler alert!!!!)vampires are much much different than what you'd normally see, especially these days.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

mikeycp posted:

There are "people" who don't like Depp??

He's been working really hard at making people hate him for some years now.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I haven't seen Secret Window in about a decade but I remember really liking it when it first came out. My sister and I used to watch a lot of wide release horror/thriller movies back then and we even agreed on liking this one!

I've never seen 30 Days of Night before but I've heard fair-to-middlin' things about it.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I've really only seen That One Scene in 30 Days of Night and if the rest of the movie is as good as that, I'm on board.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Buzkashi posted:

I've really only seen That One Scene in 30 Days of Night and if the rest of the movie is as good as that, I'm on board.

Nah, that's by far the best scene in the movie but there's still some good stuff here and there.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Lurdiak posted:

He's been working really hard at making people hate him for some years now.

You just made me realize I haven't seen a bunch of his more recent movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

mikeycp posted:

You just made me realize I haven't seen a bunch of his more recent movies.

You ain't been missing much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRIr6Bz15vM&t=76s

E: For the record I think Secret Window is one of Depp's better films, but I know some people are very tired of him.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 16, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I remember liking Secret Window a lot. I also remember making fun of the name a lot though too.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

You ain't been missing much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRIr6Bz15vM&t=76s

E: For the record I think Secret Window is one of Depp's better films, but I know some people are very tired of him.

Track record as nemesis status continues unabated I see.

Not going to lie, I really don't care for either of these movies. Secret Window was pretty uninspired and the advertising campaign kinda accidentally spoiled a lot of the film when it was coming out. This was really about the point in my mind where Depp's self image started exceeding his self-worth, and he's made very little good movies since then. (I honestly kinda liked Dark Shadows, and I suppose he was still goofy as the overused Jack Sparrow, but I can't think of anything else I enjoyed him in since)

Also 30 Days of Night is a bad movie based on a bad comic book. Stephen Niles is not a very good writer and he thinks he's amazing. (Also, the concept totally rips off a Tales From The Crypt episode) Also the original comic is probably some of Ben Templesmith's (an artist I enjoy usually) worst work, with most pages being incomprehensible messes.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

30 Days of Night is pretty good, but the sequel is where the real magic happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Thanks for picking something lousy like Secret Window on a night I can't make it. Enjoying the stream in general, though!

• Locked thread