Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr E posted:

i don't like the tone of this month's thread

How could you say that? I didn't even start posting pictures of fire whales and flaming unicorns!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

deadlyrhetoric posted:

i just played through the Mass Effect trilogy and holy moly! the ending to 3 was so bad! the whole game had terrible writing. it was soulless and contrived.

the lead writer for the series left before 3. there are still a lot of things I liked about 3, but the inclusion of Kai Leng, the entire subplot with Dead Child, and the ending are all extremely bad marks against it. atleast the fighting is fun and everything involving Mordin is great.

e: also, jessica chobot, you need to get the gently caress out of the game

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Grimace posted:

e: also, jessica chobot, you need to get the gently caress out of the game

yeah

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the whole set up of earth holding out waiting for you to putt around space and tie up loose ends with the cast was dumb . earth should have been wiped out in a cool intro scene and then the game should have been shep out for master miller style revenge at any cost.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
mgs5, mario maker, and undertale are probably all goty so i don't know why we continue to make threads anyway, especially in light of the knowledge that persona 5 is 2016

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

mgs5, mario maker, and undertale are probably all goty so i don't know why we continue to make threads anyway, especially in light of the knowledge that persona 5 is 2016

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Xenoblade Waifu Wars is coming out in December

Also Persona 4 DAN came out last week and that's GOTY.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Does DAN work on ps tv? I'd get one for that and P4 Golden

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
May I ask what is the drama with star citizen this week? the thread is moving too fast to ask.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cyron posted:

May I ask what is the drama with star citizen this week? the thread is moving too fast to ask.

dsmart was right and now CIG and the escapist are having a leonard crabs internet standoff

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Real hurthling! posted:

dsmart was right and now CIG and the escapist are having a leonard crabs internet standoff

What was he right about? and who is Dsmart?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cyron posted:

lol you need more help than i have time to give youngling

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Cyron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIn1_9YvGds

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Mr E posted:

I own both a PSTV and DAN, will see if I can find out for you

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

can't download it on my own PSTV right now because I'm extremely limited on space and P4D is 3,200 mb. That said, I looked online, and apparently it is compatible.

no one should be without a way to play P4G and P4D. Hell, my main reason for buying a vita was P4G and I still consider it to be one of the best purchases in the past few years.

e: you know, while I'm on the subject...
I absolutely LOVE the vita and the PSTV. They really ARE amazing pieces of hardware that can do impressive things, and I literally think the only reason they've failed in America is because A) Sony themselves don't loving support it, and B) Their memory cards are still way too expensive to be reasonable. Vita had the potential to be a fantastic system outside of JRPGs and Indies but they literally didn't even try with it. it's pretty loving depressing. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but I guess I just wanted to vent a little bit about it

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 5, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr E posted:

Yeah it does, the base console is around 40 bucks now, the one that comes with the PS3 controller is around 60-70.

The PS TV has enough on board storage for like 20 games or so if you're buying physical editions.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
ME3 also had all the stuff around the Krogan home world which kicked rear end. It's just so stark how terrible the last third of the game is from every conceivable view point compared to the rest of the series.

Real hurthling! posted:

dsmart is well-acquainted with the stench of failure

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Very much agreed. Keep in mind though they also shot themselves in the foot with all the 3G shenanigans too. The useless back touch pad and the GPS as well. The vita is a great piece of hardware with about a dozen huge reasons explaining why it didn't take off.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i feel like software for handhelds with the power of the vita is tough for a company to justify when it can handle bad ports well enough to convince a boardroom not to invest in things people actually want to play on the go.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I don't think the Vita will be the last of the sony handhelds. The PS4 is too popular to not have a portable to go with it. It just came out at a weird time and had a ton of weird stuff be shackled with it.

If the next handheld is designed like the PS4 in which it's primarily a videogame thing and streamlined it should do fine.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

I don't think the Vita will be the last of the sony handhelds. The PS4 is too popular to not have a portable to go with it. It just came out at a weird time and had a ton of weird stuff be shackled with it.

If the next handheld is designed like the PS4 in which it's primarily a videogame thing and streamlined it should do fine.

the next sony handheld is a hacked android phone attached to your ds4 doing remote play

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Real hurthling! posted:

the next sony handheld is a hacked android phone attached to your ds4 doing remote play

Considering that this is what the NX will be, I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

Considering that this is what the NX will be, I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

i think its likely because nintendo has suffered from having two development pipelines that split its handheld audience from its console audience. given that casual gaming is all but lost to phones and high quality graphics, etc get more expensive every year, new hardware that helps them become more efficient at putting out software for their entire audience seems smart although i have no idea how they plan to do it. not that i profess to know anything about it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cyron posted:

the short version: derek smart, another washedup spacesim developer, started a public vendetta against sc since he realized it was in deep poo poo, a gaming news site published a damning interview with ex-employees claiming poor working conditions and mismanagement of the project, roberts melted down and started throwing vague threats of legal action around

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
ME3's story had some stupid rear end poo poo and the enemy variety was kinda laughable considering it was the EPIC CONCLUSION GAME but there was also a LOT to like about it, the actual gameplay was loving great (as demonstrated by the stupidly fun multiplayer mode) and some of the plots (Mordin/Krogan stuff, the mission with Jack being a cool rear end teacher, etc) were also great

if they ever remade ME1 and ME2 with ME3's engine i would jizz tears of joy out of my brain

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Can anyone recommend a good starting party for Wasteland 2? Just picking it up for the first time and I'm a little option-paralyzed.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

precision posted:

ME3's story had some stupid rear end poo poo and the enemy variety was kinda laughable considering it was the EPIC CONCLUSION GAME but there was also a LOT to like about it, the actual gameplay was loving great (as demonstrated by the stupidly fun multiplayer mode) and some of the plots (Mordin/Krogan stuff, the mission with Jack being a cool rear end teacher, etc) were also great

if they ever remade ME1 and ME2 with ME3's engine i would jizz tears of joy out of my brain

I loved ME2, the hub worlds were incredible to explore, so many npcs to talk to which felt incredibly immersive.

I felt ME3 's hubs were starkly empty by contrast, and while I understand that was the point, what with everyone being refugees, but they could have made at least most of those characters have at least something meaningful to say. It didn't feel empty because there were less people, it felt empty because there was nobody to interact with. Even a "I don't want to talk right now" would suffice. But it was literally like standing in an empty mall with some mannequins.

Not to say the game wasn't good, it just didn't have the same immersive experience as ME2.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Real hurthling! posted:

the whole set up of earth holding out waiting for you to putt around space and tie up loose ends with the cast was dumb . earth should have been wiped out in a cool intro scene and then the game should have been shep out for master miller style revenge at any cost.

Fuckin Django Unchained in space

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
it seems the cheapassgamer.com forums are filled with nothing but people who flip games and they complain when they buy 15 copies of the same game to flip and either: A) Someone unjustly gets the 16th copy of the game and clearly has the intention to open it and play it ruining it's resale value a or B) Gamestop won't take 15 copies of the same game at a time.

Either way they view both situations are literally stealing "food"(it's drugs don't kid yourselves) off their table.

There's also people who have amassed a few thousand in Gamestop store credit and never use it and are just hoarding it away for something.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Mass Effect 3 was always going to be disappointing because Mass Effect's plot was just the plotline for their aborted KotOR sequel recycled and with the ending changed so that instead of stopping the invasion you just postpone it so they could blow it up to trilogy length. Mass Effect 2 managed to mostly avoid this by having a plot that was basically completed disconnected from the big overarching plot.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Also it looks like Tuesday Starts the time when the PS4 will be getting atleast 1 big deal anime game a month until the release of Persona 5.

console wars are over, the xbox one and wii-u can't compare to that amount of anime games.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Bioware is pretty terrible at resolving plot threads that span over multiple games. Mass Effect 3 was so underwhelming that I didn't even bother paying the slightest bit of attention to Dragon Age 3. Though I guess that game must not have been that bad since I didn't hear much griping about it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Dragon Age 3 was decent but basically it just started a new story in the same universe as opposed to being some big conclusion to the events started in the first game.

As for ME3 being doomed from the start, I don't really buy that. That's hindsight bias. It's 2/3 of a great game with that bad third just being an epic turd and eschewing themes and design principles used not only in the same series but the same game because of dev crunch and hubris.

I did enjoy that a few people at Bioware threw the lead under the bus about it, claiming he wrote the dead boy and conclusion bits and unilaterally forced them into production.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It was really funny when everyone said "wow this ending is bad" and a bunch of people wrote giant articles about ACTUALLY,

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
THE ENDS ARE BAD

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The Mass Effect series is severely hampered by ~*choice*~ leading to all sorts of dumb solutions that make no sense. Like most of the ME2 cast being unplayable in ME3 because they might have died during the suicide mission. Choices that the game trumps up as very important but in the end usually results in getting some war points (or w/e it was called) from one party or the other, practically making no difference. Why should I care about the ultimate fate of race <X> when I never get to see what they are going to do anyway?

For example, I decided to give that Reaper thingie at the end of ME2 to Cerberus because it seemed like the best bet to gain an actual edge on them. Given how (unrealistically) large of a threat Cerberus was in ME3 I was expecting it to be a huge deal. IIRC it was just a couple of lines of dialogue and then I got some war points from one source or the other, the end. Why give me a choice if it's not going to really matter anyway?

Anyway, the gameplay was fun and there's a bunch of characters that I really liked but at the start of ME2 I decided to not take its story seriously at all because of the above issues.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Choices in videogames are bullshit and basically always boil down to two paths you take through the game and some different epilogue slides. Some games are good at creating the illusion of your choices mattering, but they barely ever result in a truly unique experience depending on what you do. Anytime a game starts talking about having bi choices I immediately become skeptical of it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Internet Kraken posted:

Choices in videogames are bullshit and basically always boil down to two paths you take through the game and some different epilogue slides. Some games are good at creating the illusion of your choices mattering, but they barely ever result in a truly unique experience depending on what you do. Anytime a game starts talking about having bi choices I immediately become skeptical of it.

I dunno The Witcher seemed to do it right.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
There were some extra missions in ME3 depending on choices from earlier games and sizable story bits changed in some places but in terms of gameplay they just added up to WAR POINTS that ended up being a near complete wash anyway. It was almost surreal to see how much they poo poo the bed given the press lead up to ME3 emphasized how all your choices were going to super matter like for real. They couldn't even do well by the Ashley/Kaiden thing that was pretty risky but competently pulled off in 1/2.

I readily admit I'm the type to lap up flavor text and fluff but ME3 still only got that half right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

bloodychill posted:

There were some extra missions in ME3 depending on choices from earlier games and sizable story bits changed in some places but in terms of gameplay they just added up to WAR POINTS that ended up being a near complete wash anyway. It was almost surreal to see how much they poo poo the bed given the press lead up to ME3 emphasized how all your choices were going to super matter like for real. They couldn't even do well by the Ashley/Kaiden thing that was pretty risky but competently pulled off in 1/2.

I readily admit I'm the type to lap up flavor text and fluff but ME3 still only got that half right.

The only choice that mattered was the one to not buy the game.

• Locked thread