Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

ThePeavstenator posted:

Yes, origins Jace is going to get a lot worse after rotation. He's still a great card, he just won't be an auto-include in every blue deck.

E: The reason he was in CoCo decks before was because decks needed to grind out the long game to win.

Also Rally, which is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
(Tossing this in here to see if there are any biters.)

I'm trying to update my Modern Dredgevine deck, and it is looking like this:

4 Bloodghast
3 Fatestitcher
4 Golgari Grave-Troll
1 Golgari Thug
4 Gravecrawler
3 Gurmag Angler
2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
3 Prized Amalgam
1 Stitchwing Skaab
4 Vengevine

4 Thought Scour
1 Life from the Loam
4 Faithless Looting
1 Darkblast
1 Murderous Cut

1 Blood Crypt
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Breeding Pool
3 Darkslick Shores
1 Island
1 Overgrown Tomb
4 Polluted Delta
1 Steam Vents
1 Swamp
1 Watery Grave
2 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:
4 Abrupt Decay
3 Ancient Grudge
1 Darkblast
3 Gnaw to the Bone
1 Golgari Charm
3 Thoughtseize

I would be happy to drop red altogether if I wasn't sure Faithless Looting was the best discard outlet option in the deck. And, I decided to eschew basically all removal (except Darkblast) just to be able to power out as many creatures as possible. Haven't really tested Stitchwing Skaab, but it looks like a decent graveyard sourced discard outlet.

Any thoughts?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Izzet Prowess

So I fiddled more with that burn deck, and like others pointed out, sadly Thing died too much before it could go off reliably and Geistblast was not as useful as I thought it would be. Pretty much what did the main body of work in the deck was Stormchaser Mage when it got pumped. So I've redone the shell to become more of a prowess deck.

Creature (15)

4x Abbot of Keral Keep
2x Elusive Spellfist
3x Insolent Neonate
4x Stormchaser Mage
2x Zada, Hedron Grinder

Instant (18)
2x Dispel
4x Expedite
2x Fiery Impulse
4x Fiery Temper
2x Just the Wind
4x Titan's Strength

Sorcery (8)
4x Slip Through Space
4x Tormenting Voice

5x Island
8x Mountain
4x Shivan Reef
2x Wandering Fumarole

I like what you're doing with this more than what I was trying to get going, but I made a couple changes:

3x Abbot of Keral Keep
3x Elusive Spellfist
3x Insolent Neonate
4x Stormchaser Mage
2x Zada, Hedron Grinder

2x Dispel
3x Expedite
3x Fiery Impulse
3x Fiery Temper
2x Grip of the Roil
4x Titan's Strength

4x Slip Through Space
2x Tormenting Voice

7x Island
9x Mountain
4x Shivan Reef
2x Wandering Fumarole

Tormenting Voice rotates out with Khans, so instead I'm putting Grip and Coastal Discovery for late game gas. I added more mana because 18 feels like I'll get mana hosed, and I hate that.

I need to pick up a couple more Shivan Reef's, and I don't have any Zada's, but I should be able to find those at one of the two game stores in town, hopefully. Otherwise, there's always Amazon, I guess.

Also, I'd like to out together something that plays with some of the new mechanics in SOI, and this is a rough list:

quote:

Tirelessly Stomping

4 Veteran Cathar
4 Thalia's Lieutenant
4 Tireless Tracker
3 Citadel Castellan
3 Patron of the Valiant
2 Sigarda

4 Confront the Unknown
4 Declaration in Stone
3 Lead by Example
3 Stasis Snare
2 Angelic Gifts

24 lands

Gets to play with tribal human stuff and also using clues to pump Tireless Tracker into a beast. Patron as a secondary win condition that pumps the board and starts hitting for four through the air on turn five seems decent. I had Linvala in there, but these creatures should have counters on them, so Patron seems more synergistic.

e:

Dehtraen posted:

Tormenting Voice was reprinted in Shadows Over Innistrad. New art is pretty funny too, has paintings pointing at someone who is cowering on the floor

Huh! Well, then. Alrighty, I guess that's cheaper than Coastal Discovery, and if I'm flooded I could toss some land for its cost.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 7, 2016

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Soul Glo posted:

Tormenting Voice rotates out with Khans, so instead I'm putting Grip and Coastal Discovery for late game gas. I added more mana because 18 feels like I'll get mana hosed, and I hate that.

Tormenting Voice was reprinted in Shadows Over Innistrad. New art is pretty funny too, has paintings pointing at someone who is cowering on the floor

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It was also in Dragons. It's sad that the SoI printing broke the pattern and did not have someone messing with Nicol Bolas

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

BizarroAzrael posted:

Can I be competitive with a CoCo deck that isn't running blue, or at least isn't running Origins Jace? Considering GW or WB.

There are some pretty dope Werewolves that fit under the 3 CMC curve and CoCo synergizes really nicely with their desire to take a turn off to transform.

Imagine a line of something like T3 Geier Reach Bandit > T4 Hold up Company, flip Bandit > Company on their T4, Bandit flips your wolves as they come in.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'm wanting to try a g/b rock style delirium deck for standard. If anyone has been doing testing, I'm looking for input. Here's what I'm currently considering:

4x Sylvan Advocate
4x Hangarback Walker
4x Mindwrack Demon
3x Deathcap Cultivator
2x Den Protector
1x Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet

4x Gather the Pack
2x Traverse the Ulvenwald
2x Ruinous Path
2x Grasp of Darkness
2x Ultimate Price
1x To the Slaughter

2x Dead Weight

2x Ob Nixilis Reignited

25 lands
4x Evolving Wilds
4x Hissing Quagmire
4x Llanowar Wastes
5x Forest
8x Swamp

Still messing with the sideboard but there's plenty of good black sideboard cards right now. I'm not sure the deck needs the deathcaps at all but t3 Mindwrack seems very good. Also considered autumnal gloom since it doubles as an enchantment and a 4/4 hexproof trampler is always good.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I'm trying to update my Modern Dredgevine deck, and it is looking like this:

What are the Fatestitchers for? I get that you can Unearth them but.. then what? Just clearing blockers? I don't see a way to sac it to avoid the exile.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

AgentSythe posted:

What are the Fatestitchers for? I get that you can Unearth them but.. then what? Just clearing blockers? I don't see a way to sac it to avoid the exile.

You can't avoid the exiling from Unearth.

quote:

702.83a Unearth is an activated ability that functions while the card with unearth is in a graveyard. “Unearth [cost]” means “[Cost]: Return this card from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step. If it would leave the battlefield, exile it instead of putting it anywhere else. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.”

Except maybe with Cloudshift/Ghostway? I'm not sure about that interaction.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Yeah, Cloudshift or Resto Angel exile, so no replacement effect occurs.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
So this is my attempt at making something for standard, but I have no idea if it'll be any good or not and (most importantly) what to cut/add/change to be more consistent. The basic idea is to use Displacer with Kindly Stranger and Priest to get lovely ETB/flip effects all the live-long day. I've tried playtesting it on tapped out but their playtesting thing seems to really love showing my only certain cards every time (e.g. giving me Ultimate Price in every opening hand, but never giving me a Transgress before turn 5 any game) so it's of middling use.

I'm wondering if maybe I should try to go for BGw delirium with a splash of white for displacer/sorin, then up the black removal? What would I cut/add in that case? What could Would Reaper of Flight Moonsilver be worth including in this somewhere?

Land (24)
4x Caves of Koilos
3x Evolving Wilds
4x Plains
3x Shambling Vent
8x Swamp
2x Westvale Abbey

Enchantment (2)
2x Dead Weight

Creature (13)
2x Eldrazi Displacer
2x Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
2x Kindly Stranger
3x Priest of the Blood Rite
4x Wasteland Strangler

Planeswalker (4)
2x Ob Nixilis Reignited
2x Sorin, Grim Nemesis

Sorcery (10)
3x Declaration in Stone
1x Languish
2x Read the Bones
4x Transgress the Mind

Instant (7)
2x Anguished Unmaking
2x Secure the Wastes
3x Ultimate Price

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 8, 2016

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AgentSythe posted:

Fatestitchers enable Gravecrawler on an empty board and no hand. I might cut them down to 2, but they're really versatile. You can unearth them (which triggers Prized Amalgam), untap the land you just used to unearth them, and cast a Gravecrawler (which triggers Prized Amalgam again if necessary). You can tap down blockers with them. You can untap Jace for another loot. And, if nothing else, it is a hasty attacker (albeit for 1).

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I'm wanting to try a g/b rock style delirium deck for standard. If anyone has been doing testing, I'm looking for input. Here's what I'm currently considering:

4x Sylvan Advocate
4x Hangarback Walker
4x Mindwrack Demon
3x Deathcap Cultivator
2x Den Protector
1x Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet

4x Gather the Pack
2x Traverse the Ulvenwald
2x Ruinous Path
2x Grasp of Darkness
2x Ultimate Price
1x To the Slaughter

2x Dead Weight

2x Ob Nixilis Reignited

25 lands
4x Evolving Wilds
4x Hissing Quagmire
4x Llanowar Wastes
5x Forest
8x Swamp

Still messing with the sideboard but there's plenty of good black sideboard cards right now. I'm not sure the deck needs the deathcaps at all but t3 Mindwrack seems very good. Also considered autumnal gloom since it doubles as an enchantment and a 4/4 hexproof trampler is always good.

In additional to Autumnal Gloom which I would so be running, what do you think of Vessel of Nascency? Lets you get any permanent instead of just creature like Gather the Pack, puts an enchantment in the yard, and can go off at instant speed after coming down turn 1. I've been digging it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

stinkles1112 posted:

In additional to Autumnal Gloom which I would so be running, what do you think of Vessel of Nascency? Lets you get any permanent instead of just creature like Gather the Pack, puts an enchantment in the yard, and can go off at instant speed after coming down turn 1. I've been digging it.

Yeah I'm really thinking about autumnal gloom too, though I think I'd run it in a deck with less creatures and more removal. Vessel is cool though, only reason I have gather the pack instead is because late game gather becomes actual card advantage, since I can grab 2 creatures off of it. I think if there's a less creature heavy version to be made, gloom and vessel would both go in it. Possibly another argument for cutting Deathcap maybe.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yeah I'm really thinking about autumnal gloom too, though I think I'd run it in a deck with less creatures and more removal. Vessel is cool though, only reason I have gather the pack instead is because late game gather becomes actual card advantage, since I can grab 2 creatures off of it. I think if there's a less creature heavy version to be made, gloom and vessel would both go in it. Possibly another argument for cutting Deathcap maybe.

Yeah that's one of those that's going to require a metagame around it to know which is better. If there's not a ton of decks playing cheap spot removal, Deathcap is fairly awesome curving into Mindwrack. If every deck has Fiery Impulse or Declaration in Stone... not so much. Sadly I think I know which of those is more likely.

Autumnal Gloom is pure hotness either way though, once you're delirious it's just a 4/4 trample hexproof for 3, which is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
NEW THREAD: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771499

• Locked thread