Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Welcome to Year Five of the Brewhaus! Last year went pretty well. We got close to nailing some competitive decks right at rotation, and people have at least had some fun with stuff. I really don't have anything to harp on this time around. Surprising, I'm usually a lot more vocal. Oh, Deck Thinning still isn't a thing

I’ve decided that I’m not going to link to the other Magic threads this year, as I tend to be the first person to refresh threads and my links are usually all invalid within a week of posting.

Some important things to note before you post your deck:
  • DO include what you're building your deck for, be it casual, FNM, or a Grand Prix. Also, mention if this is for a specific format (Standard, Extended, Modern, Legacy, Vintage, Commander, Pauper, Theme Deck, etc.).
  • DO mention if your deck has a budget associated with it.
  • :siren:DO READ THIS ARTICLE BY CONLEY WOODS!:siren: Your deck and some of your choices are going to be questioned, and you're likely to feel insulted. We're not out to hurt your feelings and make you go all :smith: on us. Even some of the best deck builders get their work blown up by other people. You might even be ignored, don't take it personally.
  • If you're searching online for cards, I can't recommend using Wizard's website, Gatherer. It tends to be slow and difficult to use. Magiccards.info is a better bet.
  • For Sixty-Card constructed decks, please try to use deckstats or tappedout's deck building tools, and use the full embed code if you can. The links help make your deck pop off the page when scrolling.
  • For Commander/EDH decks, you can post them, but do remember there is a dedicated thread for this, and that you’re a horrible person. Use only a link to deckstats/tappedout if you do decide to post it here. If your deck is on MODO, go ahead and give us a screen shot of it.

Enough with the notes, on to some of the deck building basics.

Before you build:
  • Decide what your deck's win condition or conditions will be. Try to have a plan B when you can.
  • Decide how your deck will achieve that goal.
  • For competitive play, never exceed the 60-card minimum (99+general in commander).
  • Don't be afraid to net deck. It's not a bad thing. If there's a pre existing deck out there that does what you want to do, feel free to copy it. It's likely going to be optimized already. Star City Games keeps a list of all of the top decks from its events, as does Wizards in their event section.
  • If you don't want to build a pre-existing deck but want to use its archetype, still view the deck lists. That will provide an excellent starting point to build your mana base. This is the start of what's called, "Going Rouge".
  • Speaking of the Internet, consider using one of the deck building tools out there, such as https://www.deckstats.net and https://www.tappedout.net. Also, use something like magiccards.info to search out cards you may want to use. See the second post of the main discussion thread for more online resources.

Now that I've mentioned them...

Deck Archetypes
  • Aggressive; Hit them hard and fast. If you haven't won by turn four or five, you've probably already lost. Historically, these are Red, Green, and Black; but can exist in all colors. Examples include Red Deck Wins. Pure aggro decks tend to have low amounts of land, sometimes as few as 16 and rarely have utility lands.
  • Stompy: Rides the border of Aggro and Midrange. Usually appears to be an aggro shell with buffs. Examples would be SOM/INN R/G Aggro (because of swords buffs and having a bit of a late game) and Tempered Steel. Land count in Stompy decks tend to hover in the 21-23 range, sometimes include a couple of utility lands, and will often include some Ramp elements (usually mana producing creatures).
  • Midrange: A variable type of deck that can play the aggro role against control, or the control rol against aggro. Abzan decks from the standard we just rotated out of are the perfect example of midrange. Land count for midrange decks tends to hang in the 22-25 area with a decent amount of utility lands.
  • Control: Built to take the game long and outlast an opponent, usually through mass removal, card advantage and counter spells. This type of deck usually runs few actual threats. Historically, these decks are Blue based with White or Black. U/W control from RTR/THS and The Deck are examples of control. Control decks will run 25+ lands, and will include numerous utility lands.
  • Tempo-Control: This deck type blurs the line between Aggro and control by using tempo cards like Vapor Snag and other unsummon variants along with small, evasive beaters and other value cards to control the game. Recent examples being Caw-Blade from ZEN/SOM and Delver from SOM/INN
  • Ramp: Decks built to hit a certain point on their mana curve as fast a possible (ramping up through land search or mana producing creatures) then crushing their opposition before they can react to their massive threats. This archetype can suffer with out of order draws, (not drawing land search sorceries or mana producing creatures early, etc.) but tends the be extremely explosive. Valakut decks in late ALA/Zen and early ZEN/SOM and the various Wolf Run variants from SOM/INN are examples. Very rarely do Ramp decks run less than 25 lands, with upwards of 28 not being unheard of.
  • Combo: While combo isn't hugely prevalent in standard, it's quite frequent in modern, legacy, and vintage. These decks are generally non-interactive, and sometimes do nothing, until they go :ssj: and win in one fell swoop. Examples inclue thopter/depths (which could generate a 20/20 flying indestructible on turn two), hive mind, and the first major combo Channel/Fireball.

Next up, Building!

While you build:
  • Remember that consistent decks with a clear plan to victory (and a backup plan) win the most.
  • Mono-colored or two-colored decks tend to be the most consistent and least vulnerable to disruption. You can fan out to a third if the format's mana base allows it (KTK/BFZ manabases are going to be awesome for going three or more color. Not quite as good as INN/RTR with checks and shocks, or the rotations centered around Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, but very good still.)
  • You generally want somewhere around 22 to 26 lands in your deck, depending on format or archetype. Your Mana Base should generally skew similar to the amount of colored mana in your spells. More on this after this list.
  • Give this article by Alexander Shearer a read and check out the spreadsheet.
  • Be mindful of your Mana Curve. As an example, if you're playing an aggressive deck with the goal of simply going :zerg: at your opponent, your mana curve should terminate at a converted mana cost of NO HIGHER than four and the majority of your spells hovering around the CMC 2 range. There's no hard and fast rule for what a mana curve should look like. This is the 2010 Worlds top standard deck, note that the mana curve has a huge amount of things to do at CMC 1 and 2

I can't stress enough how much you have to consider your mana base.
Your forseeable manabase for Kahns/Battle For Zendikar Standard –or- MY GOD, THE UTILITY LANDS THIS TIME AROUND:

Basic Lands: Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountian, Forest.

Battle/BOFA/Tango lands: I don’t think the community ever decided what specifically to call these, but they’re dual basic typed lands that ETB tapped unless you have two basics on the field already. We’re only getting ally paired variants of these in BFZ, but there’s an expectation of enemy pairs in Oath of the Gatewatch. Expectation is that these will fill the roles of the Temples nicely and help mana bases greatly

Enemy Manlands: Lands that ETB Tapped but can have mana pumped into them to be turned into a creature until end of turn. They’re ok fixing and generally fairly good cards. We’re only getting U/G and W/B in BFZ.

Fetchlands: A known quantity in older formats, these lands border with the Alpha duals in terms of best lands ever. One of these in hand is one land of the two types in hand, as needed. For this standard iteration, they’re Delve fuel, Landfall enablers and have typed duals to go looking for. They’re better fixing in KTK/BFZ then they were last season, but not incredible. There is a deck thinning component with these, but it's statistically insignificant. If you post that you're running these for deck thinning only, I'm going to mock you relentlessly.

Functional Refuge reprints: The full cycle of 10 enemy and ally duals in Kahns and Fate Reforged. They enter the battlefiled tapped and gain you a life. THESE ARE YOUR BUDGET GO-TO DUALS. They're common and in plentiful supply.

Clan Tri-Lands: The wedge versions of the Shards of Alara tri lands. They enter the battlefield tapped and produce one mana of any of three colors. Being uncommon, they shouldn't be hard to get a hold of.

Enemy Painlands: Rare lands that enter the battlefield untapped and can be tapped for colorless, or one of two colors of mana from an enemy pair at the cost of 1 Damage. These and the M10 checklands tend to be the standard baseline for dual lands, though R&D tends to prefer the checks because of new players. After two consecutive printings they’re not hard to get a hold of, and even foils are relatively cheap.

Evolving Wilds: Significantly inferior to the fetches, as whatever basic they search out comes in tapped despite being able to grab any basic. Still fills the graveyard, and is an ok budget option.

Tomb of the Spirit Dragon: Primarily a limited card, Auto-include in the all morph/colorless/Devoid deck, but still not likely to be useful in standard.

Haven/Crucible of the Spirit Dragon: Does your deck run dragons in it or care about them? You probably want to run Haven as a 2 of to recur your rawr. Crucible isn’t quite as good unless you’re looking to ramp.

Foundry of the Counsuls/Spawning Bed: Colorless lands that allow you to pay mana and sacrifice them for token creatures. Foundry if you want fliers, Spawning if you want sacrificial 1/1’s for mana generation or whatever the gently caress.

Mage-Ring Network: A colorless storage land. Similar to Crucible of the Spirit Dragon but no rawr Requirement.

Rouge’s Passage: Wasn’t horrible last time it was in standard, but not great. Lets you spend mana to make a creature unblockable. Generally best as a 1-of.

Ally Encampment: If you’re running Allies, you want a couple of these in your deck. A bit narrow, but useful in the right deck.

Sanctum of Ugin: Colorless fetching for when you cast a big colorless creature. Remains to be seen if there’s an Eldrazi deck to support this.

Shrine of the Forsaken Gods: This is mainly to get you from infinity mana to beyond. It’s a monster once you’ve got seven lands.

Blighted Lands: A cycle of colorless producers that can be sacrificed for a minor effect for 4 or 5 cmc. Usefulness depends on what kind of deck you’re building. Blue, Black, and Red are much better than White and Green in a vacuum, but who knows what ones will be the best when the cards hit standard.

Fertile Thicket, Looming Spires, Sandstone Bridge, Skyline Cascade, Mortuary Mire: Zendikar and World wake each had a cycle of spell lands that ETB tapped but generated a small effect. These are another iteration of this cycle, and they all seem to be relatively effective (though the white one isn’t as good as the red one).

A special note: If you’re opening BFZ for any reason, you may run into an Expedition land (full art foil). This can be any of the Ravnica Shocks, Fetches, or the new BFZ duals. If you open one of these in a draft or sealed event, you can use them. Only the allied Fetches and BFZ duals are Standard legal.

After it's built:
  • Test it out a little bit! You can even use the hand generators on deckstats.net to get a feel for what kind of opening hands you're going to run into. Goldfishing (solitare play) helps as well, but if you have friends or Magic Online, go to it.
  • If the deck seems like it might have some merit, post it here! Use the deckstats.net or tappedout.net builders. (I recommend deckstats, as it will give you the proper BB code with links to individual cards on magiccards.info as well as all the mana curve data and even pricing.)
  • Take the advice you get here, and make your first tweak. Only change one thing about a deck at a time so you understand the changes you've made function in relation to your deck's previous incarnation.
  • Test it out again! Then continue to make your changes.
  • Play your deck against every kind of deck you can. If you're going to a tournament, build a gauntlet of expected decks and play as many games as possible against those decks.
  • Don't forget your sideboard!
  • And don't forget to play post-sideboarded games!

One other thing to note when you're building your deck is that there's a good chance you're going to have a "pet card" you want to try to shoehorn into every deck you build. I recently tried to jam Tymaret, the Murder King into whatever I could. Be aware of this card and make absolutely SURE it fits into your deck.

Alternatively, the OP of this MTG Salvation thread does an excelent job of going over all of this.

Some questions you may ask:

Can I post the full list of my Commander/EDH deck?
Use a link to deckstats/tappedout for your Commander/EDH Decks
DON’T POST FULL LISTS OF COMMANDER/EDH DECKS
Or just post it in the Commander thread and know that you’re a horrible person.

How many of each card do I want in my deck?
Here's a good way of looking at it (this excludes basic lands):
Four of a specific card: I want this card in my opening hand and/or want to see as many copies of it as possible.
Three of a specific card: Having this in my opening hand isn't bad, but I generally only want to see one or two copies of it during the course of a game (Legendary Creatures, Planeswalkers).
Two of a specific card: I'd like to see this card on occasion, but never really want it in my opening hand.
One of a specific card: I NEVER want to see more than one of this card or something I'll be searching for with a tutor effect or drawing through massive amounts of draw. (Singletons are often a deck win condition in vintage or legacy, and frequently a win condition in a combo deck.)

Why does my deck keep getting slaughtered by this other type of deck?
Your deck may have an inherent weakness to that deck. As an example, a creature ramp deck can be stalled out horribly by a mono-red burn deck. A deck with no flyers can be completely out of luck if your opponent drops a large flyer like a Baneslayer Angel. That mono-red burn deck has a huge weakness to life gain and shroud/hexproof creatures. You have three options to deal with this. First, you can make main deck changes. Second, you can dedicate slots in your sideboard to shore up this match. Third, you can just accept that your deck is bad against that type of deck.

What's a sideboard?
That's 15 extra cards you can use to modify your deck between games in a tournament. You can use this to solidify your deck against a bad match up, or transform your deck into something else. It's a good idea to consider your sideboard options in parallel to your main 60.

How do I tune my deck for my local metagame, what about my sideboard?
Well, thats a bit of a doozy and specialized. You'd need to tell us what your expected metagame is, then we can help you.

I'm running a Mono-color deck and would like to include Fetch Lands for deck thinning. Is this a good idea?
The short answer is No. The long answer is, "for purely deck thinning purposes, it's not a good idea since the life cost for the deck thinning effect is too high." That said, there are OTHER reasons to use Fetch lands in any kind of deck.
A. You need lands in the graveyard for something
2. You need a shuffle effect (for ponder, brainstorm, other things that require certain cards on top)
D. Landfall triggers (from ZEN and BFZ blocks)
eff. Mana Fixing in multi-color decks.

I want to build a mill de--
Having this bit in this OP got worse for everyone because of the U/R Sphinx’s Tutelage deck winning a GP recently. I have news for you: Mill decks are still bad. I’m not saying they’re not fun and can’t catch an event with its pants down like it did over the summer, but they’re a slow burn or combo deck at best. U/R Tutelage can be annihilated by enchantment removal. They lack consistency and are open to just being run down by even midrange decks. TurboMill from LOR/ALA is probably the closest, most recent example of a consistent mill deck. It took the rise of 5-color-control for it to be a player though. And none of that mattered once Seismic Swans came around.
Still, if you want to build one I won’t fault you. There’s something fun about milling someone out. Just don’t expect to win a lot.

Why did you rip my awesome deck to shreds? It was the best thing in the world! You have no idea what you're talking about!
While there's a decent chance that someone commenting on your deck may not have the best deck building sense (including me), the same holds true for you. Also, I warned you this would happen, and even gave you this link earlier. Put your ego aside, we're trying to help.

Hay guyz! I just got given a bunch of new cards from someone and I want to post my deck list. Should I do it?"
JerryLee put it pretty succinctly in the first thread, but I'll sum it up here: Probably not. If your card pool is really tiny what you can put together isn't going to be of much interest to us, and you're likely to be ignored. If you want to list out a fully fleshed out deck (include cards you want to acquire for it) BASED ON what you currently have, or get some suggestions on what to look for, that's fine. If you want to save some money, you can buy from other goons!

My deck didn't get commented on. :smith:
This is likely to happen for any number of reasons. More often than not this tends to happen for Legacy and Vintage decks posted, but don’t worry if you want to talk older formats, Go here and post the list. Another reason your deck may have been ignored is because you didn't specify what format it's for and/or your budget. You could have also posted in the middle of a fury of decks being posted and it was just missed. Don't take it personally, this just a single thread in a sub-forum of a sub-forum that's doesn't exactly have a huge amount of traffic.

That said, If you want to get competitive, don't hesitate to go to Star City Games top deck lists from their open series and use that as a place to start on the type of deck you want to use.

I'd like to remind everyone to INCLUDE WHAT FORMAT YOU'RE BUILDING YOUR DECK FOR! The format a deck is built for is key to getting help.

If you'd like to get a hold of me in regards to something with the thread, talk Wizard Poker Deck building, or berate me for being a jackass, feel free to PM. I might actually get back to you on that.

Happy Brewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
First

edit: Sorry, I had to

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
First actual content post! http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sultaidrazi-3/

I'm trying to make this work for standard FNM. The general idea is to get eldrazi, get stuff that triggers of sacs, sac to husk/evo, fat beats with husk/shambler. I have a one-of Damnable Pact as a plan B "gently caress it, I sac all my scions for mana and dunk on your head." Some immediate thoughts:
  • Should I go more UB with just G for From Beyond/Evo Leap/the GB eldrazi?
  • If I do that, then maybe fathom feeder/salvage drone/dominator drone/ulamog's nullifier/void attendant? In for what?
  • Forget U altogether and just go GB with added... what? Strength in Numbers maybe?
  • Is there a place for Kiora and/or Ob Nix in here?
Halp

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
SaffronOlive updated the Mardu Aristocrats deck to be the Blood Artist deck we all wanted:
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/brewing-bfz-mardu-aristocrats-awaken-control-and-budget-eldrazi-aggro

But the real sweet one is the budget BR Colorless Eldrazi Aggro:

SaffronOlive posted:

Creatures (29)
4 Endless One
4 Sludge Crawler
2 Culling Drone
4 Forerunner of Slaughter
4 Dominator Drone
4 Vile Aggregate
3 Wasteland Strangler
4 Dust Stalker

Spells (10)
4 Ghostfire Blade
3 Swarm Surge
3 Titan's Presence

Lands (21)
4 Bloodfell Caves
5 Mountain
3 Nomad Outpost
8 Swamp
1 Tomb of the Spirit Dragon

Sideboard (15)
1 Duress
4 Transgress the Mind
4 Molten Nursery
1 Swarm Surge
3 Crumble to Dust
2 Murderous Cut
Just fix the manabase up with Bloodstained Mires, squeeze in 4 Hangarback Walker, good to go for Game Day.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I wholly approve of the thread title. That being said, here's the current list for the Hardened Bant deck I was working on:

quote:

3 Avatar of the Resolute
3 Den Protector
4 Hangarback Walker
1 Hidden Dragonslayer
2 Managorger Hydra
4 Servant of the Scale
4 Skyrider Elf
2 Stratus Dancer

4 Hardened Scales
1 Evolutionary Leap

3 Dromoka's Command
2 Stubborn Denial
2 Treasure Cruise
2 Valorous Stance

2 Canopy Vista
1 Cinder Glade
2 Flooded Strand
5 Forest
1 Island
1 Lumbering Falls
1 Plains
2 Prairie Stream
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Boco_T posted:

SaffronOlive updated the Mardu Aristocrats deck to be the Blood Artist deck we all wanted:
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/brewing-bfz-mardu-aristocrats-awaken-control-and-budget-eldrazi-aggro

But the real sweet one is the budget BR Colorless Eldrazi Aggro:
Just fix the manabase up with Bloodstained Mires, squeeze in 4 Hangarback Walker, good to go for Game Day.

What would you cut for the HBWalkers

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

What would you cut for the HBWalkers
This is the list I put into Deckbox: http://deckbox.org/sets/1217664

So I guess I went:
-2 Culling Drone
-1 Dust Stalker
-1 Dominator Drone
- 3 Titan's Presence

+4 Hangarback Walker
+3 Complete Disregard

Then fixed up the manabase to hit black on 1 and red on 2, although looking at what I put in now I only put in 10 untapped black so that's not always going to be untapped on 1 (you need 14 for that). Although going by the recent posts in the main thread, the expectation is that nobody's doing anything on 1 in this format anyway. With the manabase I put there's 16 black and 14 red so at least you should never have a problem with either color on turn 2 no matter what land you play.

I also think the sideboard choices on the Goldfish post are pretty garbo but I need to go over the card pool and also see what other people are playing in the format before making any serious decision on that. Mainly, I don't think Transgress the Mind will be particularly playable, especially in a deck like this. Just put 4 Duress and 4 Despise and bring those in if you really feel you need them. Kolaghan's Command might be good for value, but I'm guessing you want to build a sideboard for this deck more like the Atarka Red from last year. Roast, Magmatic Chasm, maybe Act of Treason.

EDIT: I bet even with just 21 lands that Rogue's Passage would be a better 1-of colorless land than Tomb of the Spirit Dragon, but I'm not sure. Mortuary Mire might a decent 1-of as well.

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 2, 2015

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/eldruzi/

I made the mono blue eldrazi deck (it is kind of frustrating how they're sorting devoid cards).

The plan is the 2 little eldrazi lords, some token generation, and some blue "get out of the way" cards.

Side Board has counterspells for control decks, and Benthic infiltrator+ Horribly Awry to hobble aggressive creature decks.

Any suggestions for the lands/ non-BFZ cards? I just ran 24 Islands for consistency, but I know Blighted Cataracts can help in the late game. I do not know what Mono U got from Dragons or Khans, but I would be willing to add it in if it seems compelling.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

First actual content post! http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sultaidrazi-3/

I'm trying to make this work for standard FNM. The general idea is to get eldrazi, get stuff that triggers of sacs, sac to husk/evo, fat beats with husk/shambler. I have a one-of Damnable Pact as a plan B "gently caress it, I sac all my scions for mana and dunk on your head." Some immediate thoughts:
  • Should I go more UB with just G for From Beyond/Evo Leap/the GB eldrazi?
  • If I do that, then maybe fathom feeder/salvage drone/dominator drone/ulamog's nullifier/void attendant? In for what?
  • Forget U altogether and just go GB with added... what? Strength in Numbers maybe?
  • Is there a place for Kiora and/or Ob Nix in here?
Halp

I'm making a Sultaidrazi deck too. Bone Splinters is fantastic with Blisterpod and the U one drop Eldrazi. I'm also going a bigger route with Titan's Presence and Sower. I'll post up a list later when I commit it to the webs.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Gensuki posted:

I made the mono blue eldrazi deck (it is kind of frustrating how they're sorting devoid cards).

The plan is the 2 little eldrazi lords, some token generation, and some blue "get out of the way" cards.

Side Board has counterspells for control decks, and Benthic infiltrator+ Horribly Awry to hobble aggressive creature decks.

Any suggestions for the lands/ non-BFZ cards? I just ran 24 Islands for consistency, but I know Blighted Cataracts can help in the late game. I do not know what Mono U got from Dragons or Khans, but I would be willing to add it in if it seems compelling.

Honestly, I would forgo the Tide Drifters for Hangarback Walkers if you've got them. The +1 toughness doesn't really do much, and you're more interested in beating face, anyway. Walker is colorless and generates a lot of colorless value. Additionally, you should probably be running 4 Ghostfire Blades. They're cheap and pump your colorless guy by +2/+2. And Treasure Cruise/Dig Through Time will help you refill your hand in the late game for very cheap.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gensuki posted:

Incubator Drone is really bad, you should play Ugin's Construct in that slot at least. And I agree with AlternateNu about Hangarback and Ghostfire Blade, they are two of the major arguments for playing a colourless deck.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i before e, except after siege

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

black potus posted:

i before e, except after siege

This. Exactly this. I'm so tired of it I don't even want to spell it right.

I have no clue what I'm going to run for standard here out. I may just have to slap together a Mardu thing if I play tonight.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

YeehawMcKickass posted:

This. Exactly this. I'm so tired of it I don't even want to spell it right.

I have no clue what I'm going to run for standard here out. I may just have to slap together a Mardu thing if I play tonight.

Mardu is actually not a bad idea at all. If you've got Hangarback Walkers, Tom Ross posted a pretty interesting looking Mardu deck based around a few token generators and Impact Tremors. Also there's Mardu Dragons, which has the benefit of having Draconic Roar as a pretty sufficient Lightning Strike replacement.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Honestly, I would forgo the Tide Drifters for Hangarback Walkers if you've got them. The +1 toughness doesn't really do much, and you're more interested in beating face, anyway. Walker is colorless and generates a lot of colorless value. Additionally, you should probably be running 4 Ghostfire Blades. They're cheap and pump your colorless guy by +2/+2. And Treasure Cruise/Dig Through Time will help you refill your hand in the late game for very cheap.

I think I might want the drifters in the sideboard then. Red and Black still have toughness based sweepers (converge anger, and awaken sorrow) I'd like to have some chance at dodging.

Also, tide drifter is an 0/5, so it can block siege rhino, which is cute.

Chamale posted:

Incubator Drone is really bad, you should play Ugin's Construct in that slot at least. And I agree with AlternateNu about Hangarback and Ghostfire Blade, they are two of the major arguments for playing a colourless deck.

What all should I cut then? I hear -Tide Drifter -Incubator Drone, + ghostfire +Ugin's construct + Hangarback Walker...

Should I forgo Ugin's Construct?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Gensuki posted:

What all should I cut then? I hear -Tide Drifter -Incubator Drone, + ghostfire +Ugin's construct + Hangarback Walker...

Should I forgo Ugin's Construct?

-4 Tide Drifter
-4 Incubator Drone
-4 Spell Shrivel
-2 Murk Strider
-1 Drowner of Hope
-3 Island

+4 Hangarback Walker
+4 Ghostfire Blade
+3 Dig Through Time
+3 Stubborn Denial
+2 Reality Shift
+2 Skyline Cascade

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 2, 2015

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Does anybody have a list for 5 color bring to light yet?

If I'm forced to play rhinos at least let me also play mantis and big knucks too!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Been working on tweaking the Reliquary Knight Combo deck, after revising it a little from LSV's article on it a few days ago.

Big changes: cut one Forest for a 4th Path, and cut the Bant Charms in favour of Wilt-Leaf Liege because that card is a great tool, playing well with Geist and KotR and giving us a top end to our curve. It helps put a stop to this deck getting absolutely reamed by an active Liliana.

4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Serum Visions
4 Path to Exile
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Breeding Pool
2 Forest
1 Plains
4 Windswept Heath
2 Temple Garden
1 Hallowed Fountain
3 Birds of Paradise
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Sejiri Steppe
4 Tarmogoyf
2 Mana Leak
2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
4 Retreat to Coralhelm
2 Dromoka's Command
3 Geist of Saint Traft
1 Island
2 Flooded Strand
1 Horizon Canopy
2 Wilt-Leaf Liege

SB: 2 Stony Silence
SB: 2 Celestial Purge
SB: 1 Dismember
SB: 1 Engineered Explosives
SB: 1 Ghost Quarter
SB: 1 Scavenging Ooze
SB: 1 Supreme Verdict
SB: 1 Thragtusk
SB: 1 Life from the Loam
SB: 2 Negate
SB: 2 Timely Reinforcements

Right now the sideboard feels a little shaky to me, I don't have much experience with Bant colours in Modern without Black's tools, and I don't know what the Modern meta's like as of the last few months. I'm also thinking about cutting one of the Coralhelms for an additional spell, I'm not completely sure on that yet. Anyone testing the deck?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

InterrupterJones posted:

Mardu is actually not a bad idea at all. If you've got Hangarback Walkers, Tom Ross posted a pretty interesting looking Mardu deck based around a few token generators and Impact Tremors. Also there's Mardu Dragons, which has the benefit of having Draconic Roar as a pretty sufficient Lightning Strike replacement.

I actually went 3-1 (0-2, 2-0, 2-0, 2-0) for fourth place with a B/R dragons variant.

Creatures were:
Bloodsoaked champion
Hangarback
Thunderbreak
2 Kholagan, TSF

3 red sarkhan

Wild slash
Roar
3 firecraft
3 foul tongue
3 Kholagan's command
3 Outpost siege

23 lands (3 bfz b/r duals, one English, one Russian, one expedition)

My game losses in round 1 were entirely due to never getting beyond three colored sources. The rest of the matches were me steam rolling people.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Anyone else into Awaken? Got a boner for it hard.

Sorcery (22)
4x Clutch of Currents
2x Coastal Discovery
4x Planar Outburst
4x Roil Spout
4x Rush of Ice
4x Sheer Drop
Land (27)
2x Blighted Cataract
4x Flooded Strand
5x Island
8x Plains
4x Prairie Stream
4x Skyline Cascade
Creature (9)
3x Halimar Tidecaller
3x Hangarback Walker
3x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip
Enchantment (2)
2x Quarantine Field

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
A new spin on an old classic:

Jeskai Ascendancy
4 Jeskai Ascendancy

4 Hangarback Walker
4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
3 Whirler Rogue
2 Zada, Hedron Grinder

3 Dragon Fodder
3 Hordeling Outburst
3 Treasure Cruise

3 Defiant Strike
2 Secure the Wastes
2 Titan's Strength
4 Wild Slash

4 Battlefield Forge
4 Flooded Strand
2 Island
3 Mountain
4 Mystic Monastery
1 Plains
1 Prairie Stream
4 Shivan Reef

What was the peskiest thing about Abzan decks besides Dromoka's Command? Big dudes that even with a couple good Ascendancy triggers it was hard to get over. Well, Whirler Rogue makes those chumpers moot. And with a couple Ascendancy triggers, you can make all your dudes unblockable. Then, there's Zada who turns Defiant Strike into "Your creatures get +1/+0. Draw X cards where X is the number of creatures you control." If you have Ascendancy and Rogue out with its two thopers, a single Titan's Strength on Zada will let you hit your opponent for 16.

Johnnie as all hell, but I love the possibilities. Plus, no one expects it anymore.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

AlternateNu posted:

A new spin on an old classic:

Jeskai Ascendancy
4 Jeskai Ascendancy

4 Hangarback Walker
4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
3 Whirler Rogue
2 Zada, Hedron Grinder

3 Dragon Fodder
3 Hordeling Outburst
3 Treasure Cruise

3 Defiant Strike
2 Secure the Wastes
2 Titan's Strength
4 Wild Slash

4 Battlefield Forge
4 Flooded Strand
2 Island
3 Mountain
4 Mystic Monastery
1 Plains
1 Prairie Stream
4 Shivan Reef

What was the peskiest thing about Abzan decks besides Dromoka's Command? Big dudes that even with a couple good Ascendancy triggers it was hard to get over. Well, Whirler Rogue makes those chumpers moot. And with a couple Ascendancy triggers, you can make all your dudes unblockable. Then, there's Zada who turns Defiant Strike into "Your creatures get +1/+0. Draw X cards where X is the number of creatures you control." If you have Ascendancy and Rogue out with its two thopers, a single Titan's Strength on Zada will let you hit your opponent for 16.

Johnnie as all hell, but I love the possibilities. Plus, no one expects it anymore.

I'm not so sure no one will expect it, Jeski is really well positioned now.

I really like Zada & Defiant Strike, but I'm not sure it justifies the numbers, like 1 Zada maybie, the Defiant Strikes are the one I'm more iffy on, without Heroic running around I'm not sure it's really all that great outside of the combo.
I mean it's a 1 mana cantrip so it's not like it can be bad, but I feel like the haymaker nature of standard is only going to get worse, and using those slots for Silkwraps, Valorous Stance or Snares might be more prudent.

Is Whirler Rogue that much better then Kia and P? I feel like your mana base might support them better, and the reach they provide might be more important. They're both really strong, so a split might make sense.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Brewed this up and went through a few iterations before settling to this.

Deck: Sultai Eldrazi

//Lands
4 Forest
3 Island
4 Lumbering Falls
3 Opulent Palace
4 Polluted Delta
4 Sunken Hollow
1 Swamp
3 Yavimaya Coast

//Spells
3 Bone Splinters
1 Coastal Discovery
2 Dig Through Time
4 Titan's Presence
3 Horribly Awry

//Creatures
4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
4 Blisterpod
3 Catacomb Sifter
3 Oblivion Sower
1 Ruin Processor
4 Salvage Drone
2 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

//Sideboard
1 Ruin Processor
3 Conduit of Ruin
3 Transgress the Mind
2 Sultai Charm
2 Disdainful Stroke
2 Languish
2 Grip of Desolation

Display deck statistics

Bone splinters + Salvage Drone or Blisterpod is great and helps fuel an early Jace.
Catacomb Sifter with any of the above is golden.
Oblivion Sower is surprisingly rampy. He usually ensures I'm casting an Ulamog the next turn if I have any Scion's on board. He's even better if someone has delved away lands.
Titan's Presence is fantastic vs Hangarback. :unsmigghh:
Exiling cards has felt relevant against decks with Den Protector and Aristocrats.

Sideboard is up in the air. Grip of Desolation is there because people at my store look to want to play Awaken Control. It's pretty good against them. Conduit of Ruin is for Control. Cast it, get the trigger and even if it's countered or killed, I get a threat next draw.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
I just started playing this pre-release. This is what I have managed to scrap together so far - it's intended to be a landfall deck. Any tips on direction would be cool. I think it may be better if I move away from higher cost monsters, but suggestions as to which low cost monsters are cheap and best to use would be great!

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Lands
3 Blighted Woodland
2 Blossoming Sands
1 Canopy Vista
2 Fertile Thicket
10 Forest
8 Plains

//Spells
2 Dragonscale Boon
2 Earthen Arms
1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
1 Kill Shot
2 Natural Connection
1 Pacifism
2 Planar Outburst
2 Retreat to Kazandu
2 Swell of Growth
1 Titanic Growth

//Creatures
1 Aegis Angel
2 Blisterpod
1 Deathless Behemoth
1 Emeria Shepherd
1 Fortified Rampart
1 Jaddi Offshoot
2 Lifespring Druid
1 Ondu Greathorn
2 Oran-Rief Hydra
1 Serra Angel
2 Snapping Gnarlid
3 Undergrowth Champion

Display deck statistics

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

If you're dead set on G/W Landfall and on a budget, get more Retreat to Kazandu and a $1 rare called Nissa's Renewal. 6 mana and gains your 7 life and fetches 3 basic lands into play. Get another two Natural Connections or another card to replace Natural Connections with is NIssa's Pilgrimage. You could even try going wider by adding in Retreat to Emeria and using it to get a lot of 1/1 tokens with landfall.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Anti-Citizen posted:

I'm not so sure no one will expect it, Jeski is really well positioned now.

I really like Zada & Defiant Strike, but I'm not sure it justifies the numbers, like 1 Zada maybie, the Defiant Strikes are the one I'm more iffy on, without Heroic running around I'm not sure it's really all that great outside of the combo.
I mean it's a 1 mana cantrip so it's not like it can be bad, but I feel like the haymaker nature of standard is only going to get worse, and using those slots for Silkwraps, Valorous Stance or Snares might be more prudent.

Is Whirler Rogue that much better then Kia and P? I feel like your mana base might support them better, and the reach they provide might be more important. They're both really strong, so a split might make sense.

Jeskai is really well positioned right now because of Mantis Rider, Ojutai, and Jace. Not due to token strategies.

You may be right about the necessity for more hard removal, though. I will probably have to slot in a Valorous Stance and maybe a Jeskai Charm or two. It may be that taking a turn to drop Ascendancy is just too much of a tempo loss, now? We'll see.

As for Whirler Rogue. Yeah, it is better than Chandra's Parents because you're looking to make all of your guys unblockable with Ascendancy out. That being said, one copy would probably be good for some late game reach. I'll have to tweak the numbers. Hell, it may be useful to hop on the 4-color train and splash black or green into this. I need to look at the options.

Deckit posted:

Brewed this up and went through a few iterations before settling to this.

Bone splinters + Salvage Drone or Blisterpod is great and helps fuel an early Jace.
Catacomb Sifter with any of the above is golden.
Oblivion Sower is surprisingly rampy. He usually ensures I'm casting an Ulamog the next turn if I have any Scion's on board. He's even better if someone has delved away lands.
Titan's Presence is fantastic vs Hangarback. :unsmigghh:
Exiling cards has felt relevant against decks with Den Protector and Aristocrats.

Sideboard is up in the air. Grip of Desolation is there because people at my store look to want to play Awaken Control. It's pretty good against them. Conduit of Ruin is for Control. Cast it, get the trigger and even if it's countered or killed, I get a threat next draw.

Presence is better than people think. But even in this deck, 4 of is way to many. Early Bone Splinters is not what you want to be doing. I'd still run 1 or 2 in the deck, but not as a man plan to get pseudo-value out of Blisterpod or Salvage Drone.

Deck needs more Tasigur.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I asked this question in the wrong thread and was pointed here instead. Help a returning newbie out?

Vegastar posted:

So, I'm coming back in to this poo poo after last playing in the Odyssey block loving forever ago. Played in prerelease, spent probably too much money for the sheer joy of opening packs and building a land base and common fodder for whatever.

I think I've got a decent base to do a fun RG landfall deck with Omnath. Anybody else working something like this in Standard (that's most recent only, right? Or modern, whichever loving format is the new poo poo) and have pointers on singles I should be seeking out or just a deck list to use as guidance?

I honestly just want to build something that'll be competitive to have a little fun at FNM. I can do a more elaborate breakdown of what I've got later tonight, but the general thing I've got going on is plenty of fetching lands for double landfall opportunities and whatever the name of the equipment artifact hammer that lets you return a land to your hand for a +2/+2 boost is, plus 2x Omnath and whatever other landfall critters of worth I can find

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm really liking the "aggro abzan" (which seems kind of a misnomer but :shrug: ) list that uses off-color fetches and doublecheck lands to be able to fetch all its colors easily which allows it to converge for 4 or 5 for things like Exert Influence and Woodland Wanderer if it wants to.

Deck: 5 Color Abzan

//CREATURES
4 Hangarback Walker
4 Den Protector
4 Siege Rhino
3 Warden of the First Tree
3 Anafenza, the Foremost
2 Woodland Wanderer

//PLANESWALKERS
1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

//26 LANDS
3 Forest
1 Plains
1 Swamp
2 Canopy Vista
4 Flooded Strand
2 Llanowar Wastes
2 Polluted Delta
1 Prairie Stream
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Sunken Hollow
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

//SPELLS
4 Abzan Charm
3 Dromoka's Command
3 Murderous Cut
1 Valorous Stance
1 Silkwrap
1 Exert Influence

//Sideboard
2 Silkwrap
2 Disdainful Stroke
3 Duress
2 Exert Influence
3 Self-Inflicted Wound
3 Arashin Cleric

Display deck statistics

Based on this list from the SCG Open this weekend, but I only have one Gideon and I found the converge cards to actually be quite good.

I found that the mana base on this actually works really well. I was testing it this afternoon and I almost never had trouble getting my 3 main colors by turn 3 and getting to 4 colors is super easy too.

Silkwrap seems like it hits a ton of stuff in this format, the only problem is all the Abzan decks have Dromoka's Command. At least it straight up kills Hangarback Walker though.

I think Exert Influence is actually just a really good card in a lot of Standard matchups if you can cast it for 4-5 colors reliably. It steals Siege Rhino, Whisperwood Elemental, Tasiguar, Den Protector, Mantis Rider, etc etc. It's only bad against decks like atarka red that are running creatures that only cost 2-3 mana. Against an Abzan Mirror it's amazing, since those games so often have a midgame back-and-forth of play-a-threat / kill-your-threat and being able to STEAL a threat is just a huge tempo and possibly card advantage gain since they'll often have to use a removal spell on thing you stole. And it's not an enchantment, so Dromoka's Command is no help.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I just got back into magic. Haven't played much since the OG Zendikar. Limited is my jam, but I wanted a budget standard build for pick up games and super casual standard tourney's here. I had a look around at budget standard decks, but I was pretty underwhelmed. Here's what I came up with. Any obvious omissions or dumb deck building choices (apart from it bring an assault formation deck)? I'm pretty rusty at this.

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Main

//creatures
4 Dragon's Eye Savants
4 Jaddi Offshoot
2 Benthic Infiltrator
4 Sidisi's Faithful
4 Tide Drifter
4 Archers' Parapet

//spells
4 Assault Formation
4 Day's Undoing
4 Anticipate
3 Fascination
3 Dispel

//land
4 Yavimaya Coast
9 Island
7 Forest

Display deck statistics

I don't have any fetches. Don't plan to get any fetches. So, manabase is gonna be pretty limited. Is day's undoing too cutesy? That's a lot of dig, lot of gas, and the downside seems less severe for my deck since I'm going to be sitting behind a wall of walls. Dig through time doesn't seems great here, and dig kinda sucks right now in standard from my browse of gatherer. I considered a more spell heavy deck with 4 ofs elusive spellfist and benthic infiltrator with lots of pump, but intuitively that seems pretty inconsistent.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 5, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Thinking of dumb things to do with Jeskai Ascendancy, and I came up with this mess:

4 Hangarback Walker
4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
2 Mage-Ring Responder
1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
4 Renowned Weaponsmith
1 Thopter Engineer
1 Whirler Rogue

4 Jeskai Charm
4 Wild Slash
1 Valorous Stance
3 Treasure Cruise
4 Jeskai Ascendancy

1 Pyromancer's Goggles
3 Hedron Archive

3 Battlefield Forge
4 Flooded Strand
4 Island
3 Mountain
4 Mystic Monastery
1 Plains
4 Shivan Reef

The point is to use Renowned Weaponsmith to ramp out Hedron Archives, giant Hangarback Walkers, and Mage-Ring Responder which gets untapped by Ascendancy. Alternate possibilities include super early Goggles that start nuking the face for 8 with Charms. This is a super rough first draft, but I like the Johnnie-ness of it all.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

YeehawMcKickass posted:

A special note: If you’re opening BFZ for any reason, you may run into an Expedition land (full art foil). This can be any of the Ravnica Shocks, Fetches, or the new BFZ duals. If you open one of these in a draft or sealed event, you can use them. Only the allied Fetches and BFZ duals are Standard legal.

Hello new thread. Pulled a Polluted Delta in my first box of BFZ that's my brag - now here's my queston(s).

Trying to break into competitive standard and I really like what I'm seeing in green this format. I'm looking to build a harsh colorless ramp deck that revolves around creature advantage and dropping bombs late game. Here's what I've got that has made it past the first cut - Trying to cull this into a 60 Card deck. Right now I'm at 61 cards not including basic lands. If my math is right that means I need to cull roughly 20 or so cards from this list of potentials.

Ideally the deck operates in two stages.
Stage 1: Flood the board with land and chumps at a rate my opponent can't keep up with. Between Hooded Hydra and the Eldrazi Scions I should be able to outnumber my opponent in most situations. Managorger Hydra is an early investment and gets bolstered quick due to increased frequency of spells. Anything that gets through gets pumped with might of the masses/etc.

Stage 2: Once the permanent count gets high enough I drop Great Aurora, resetting the field while likely maintaining a larger mana-pool. Combined with the draw power from having such a high permanent count I can drop bombs like endless one, desolation twin, Ulamog/Etc and swing unblockable thanks to Rogue's Passage.

Strengths -
Flexible Mana Curve - X Creatures can be played out of need and fill gaps where needed.
Creature/Permanent count - I don't see many instances in which I won't be gaining at least 2-3 permanents a turn
Ramp - I think this is just about the harshest mono-colored ramp in standard.

Weaknesses -
Weak to mill
Weak to early game board control
Limited/No Removal
Bombs can easily be turned against me.

Nissa's Betrayal - Or Some poo poo Like That
Green/Colorless

WIN CONDITION: Damage
Creatures - 27
4 Blisterpod
3 Managorger Hydra
1 Woodland Bellower
2 Endless One
1 Hooded Hydra
2 Gaea's Revenge
1 Surrak, the Hunt Caller
2 Eyeless Watcher
1 Brood Monitor
1 Desolation Twin
1 Ulamog, The Ceaseless Hunger
1 Oblivion Sower
1 Void Winnower
2 Conduit Of Ruin
2 Oran-Rief Hydra
2 Territorial Baloth
1 Hangarback Walker

Spells - 20
2 Nissa's Renewal
2 Nissa's Revelation
2 Great Aurora
2 Animist's Awakening
1 See The Unwritten
3 Call The Scions
2 Become Immense
1 Nissa's Expedition
2 Nissa's Pilgrimage
3 Might of the Masses

Artifacts/Enchantments - 5
2 From Beyond
1 Sword of The Animist
2 Retreat To Kazandu

Planeswalkers - 1
1 Nissa, Vastwood Seer

Lands - 7
3 Fertile Thicket
2 Shrine of The Forsaken Gods
1 Sanctum Of Ugin
1 Rogue's Passage

Sideboard
I'm toying around with the idea of possibly splashing in blue or white from the side-board for control otherwise I'll sub out Eldrazi for Landfall creatures or other token-factories. As of right now I'm worried about getting a functional main-deck up and running though so the side-board isn't important.

Any thoughts on things that don't fit or would fit better?

Feel free to tell me this is stupid, I haven't tried to be competitive since Judgement and only got back into MtG with Origins so I'm probably ignoring/missing a lot of good poo poo from Tarkir block. If this works as well as it does in my brain though I think it will definitely have potential at least on the local level.

Thanks Goonswalkers.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

The become immense/might of the masses plan seems to be in conflict with the ramp element of the deck. If your plan is to hit your opponent with an Eldrazi you don't need to be using a pump spell on it. If your plan is to hit your opponent with a million 1/1s you don't want to be sacrificing them to play an Eldrazi. This deck also seems like it can never beat any sweeper, which is a problem in a format with radiant flames/languish/crux of fate. There are a ton of 1-ofs and 2-ofs for a deck without a great way to search for the specific one you need. A lot of the random Eldrazi in there (Endless One, for instance) aren't worth playing. Playing mono-green in a format with insanely good mana fixing right after the big devotion enablers like Nykthos rotated is probably not going to be competitive.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 7, 2015

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
EDIT: I read good

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 7, 2015

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Weaknesses -
Weak to mill

Literally never worry about milling out unless you're playing EDH/Commander.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Won't ever have to worry about it in EDH either.

YoshiStomper
May 13, 2011

The reject.
Has anyone thought about Felidar Sovereign in that old super not fun g/w devotion/manifest deck?

Deck: gw lifegain

//Land
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Windswept Heath
4 Canopy Vista
6 Forest
4 Plains
1 Blighted Steppe

//Other Spells
4 Mastery of the Unseen
4 Dromoka's Command

//Creatures
4 Whisperwood Elemental
4 Deathmist Raptor
4 Den Protector
3 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
2 Felidar Sovereign
4 Warden of the First Tree
4 Undergrowth Champion
4 Beastcaller Savant

Display deck statistics

I haven't tried against whatever the current (rhino) meta is, but it looks okay on paper? It's super easy to get to 40 life, keeping Felidar around in the presence of Abzan Charms seems tough, but if they don't see it coming game 1 it should be fine. Any suggestions/anyone else trying it?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What should Abzan have in the sideboard for Atarka Red? every deck seems to have Arashin Clerics but they feel pretty lacklustre and aren't gonna stop one of their good draws withe Become Immense + Temur Battle Rage.
I guess more cheap removal like Silkwrap?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

YoshiStomper posted:

Has anyone thought about Felidar Sovereign in that old super not fun g/w devotion/manifest deck?

I haven't tried against whatever the current (rhino) meta is, but it looks okay on paper? It's super easy to get to 40 life, keeping Felidar around in the presence of Abzan Charms seems tough, but if they don't see it coming game 1 it should be fine. Any suggestions/anyone else trying it?

You might want another morph creature or two in the deck like Rattleclaw Mystic, Hidden Dragonslayer, or maybe even Ainok Survivalist so you can trigger the lifegain without having to completely bank on getting lucky on your manifests. You're looking to gain as much life as possible and then hopefully manifest a Felidar that you can flip end of their turn, right? I would say, add some scry effects, but there aren't many in green that aren't stupid expensive.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Entropic posted:

What should Abzan have in the sideboard for Atarka Red? every deck seems to have Arashin Clerics but they feel pretty lacklustre and aren't gonna stop one of their good draws withe Become Immense + Temur Battle Rage.

Surge of Righteousness and Ultimate Price.

Also: Splash Smoldering Marshes for Radiant Flames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Entropic posted:

Ultimate Price seems like it would do the trick, unless you run that mainboard. Also Virulent Plague is possible if they're heavy on token generators. So yeah...mostly more cheap removal.

• Locked thread