Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Samael posted:

I was thinking more of a low to the ground mardu or jeskai deck with defiant strike, anticipate, wild slash/fiery impulse/draconic roar? With creature base like swiftspear, abbot, mentor, soulfire, etc.

I actually like Nu's idea, running Hordeling Outburst/Dragon Fodder/that Converge spell that creates Kor tokens. Top things off with Gideon and Atarka's Command and you'll be in a good spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

bhsman posted:

I actually like Nu's idea, running Hordeling Outburst/Dragon Fodder/that Converge spell that creates Kor tokens. Top things off with Gideon and Atarka's Command and you'll be in a good spot.

Secure the Wastes is infinitely better than United. It would probably look something like this:

4 Monastery Mentor
4 Zada, Hedron Grinder

4 Dragon Fodder
4 Hordeling Outburst
2 Secure the Wastes

4 Atarka's Command
4 Defiant Strike
2 Might of the Masses
2 Titan's Strength
3 Fiery Impulse

4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

23 Lands

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AlternateNu posted:

Secure the Wastes is infinitely better than United. It would probably look something like this:

4 Monastery Mentor
4 Zada, Hedron Grinder

4 Dragon Fodder
4 Hordeling Outburst
2 Secure the Wastes

4 Atarka's Command
4 Defiant Strike
2 Might of the Masses
2 Titan's Strength
3 Fiery Impulse

4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

23 Lands

:lol: True, I guess I was trying to backwards-engineer your Naya suggestion and that card came to mind.

EDIT: As for the list, if we're running ~10 fetches I'd almost rather see Become Immense instead of Might of the Masses (which I'm so-so on) and dropping Zada to 2-3 copies just on principle.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Thought it was used in Jeskai Black for Crackling Doom/Kolaghan's Command buyback?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Night Danger Moose posted:

Thought it was used in Jeskai Black for Crackling Doom/Kolaghan's Command buyback?

You're thinking of Soulfire Grandmaster not Mentor.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Cernunnos posted:

You're thinking of Soulfire Grandmaster not Mentor.
You are correct, reading is hard.

Sepah
May 13, 2014
A friend uses Zada, Hedron Grinder with Monastery Mentor and tokens in a RW brew, with green splashed. It's a fun combo deck, with lots of cheap buff spells that let you scry and draw cards and run over an opponent with zillions of tokens.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Sepah posted:

A friend uses Zada, Hedron Grinder with Monastery Mentor and tokens in a RW brew, with green splashed. It's a fun combo deck, with lots of cheap buff spells that let you scry and draw cards and run over an opponent with zillions of tokens.

This sounds very interesting, do you have a list at all?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Samael posted:

This sounds very interesting, do you have a list at all?

You mean like the decklist bhsman and myself were discussing 5 posts above?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

You mean like the decklist bhsman and myself were discussing 5 posts above?

Oh, I thought that person meant a different list. The other list looks great but I don't have gideons :( I might have to get and get some for game day or switch it out for something like Retreat to Emeria.

Samael fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 21, 2015

Sepah
May 13, 2014
I haven't seen his list, but I'd imagine it's something very similar to that. Maybe without the Gideons, I don't recall seeing those when we were playing. I do recall him using Seeker of the Way.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I'm building the BG Eldrazi deck from the PT for local Standard tournaments (decklist here: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/330621#paper ), since the deck is sweet and does everything I want to be doing right now. I'm looking at touching it up a little considering how popular I expect Jeskai Black and Atarka Red to be. However, I am bad at building decks, so I'm not confident in my decision making.

Is Reave Soul a better option than Complete Disregard for the maindeck? Hangarbacks don't feel like really scary threats, and I really like the idea of having cheaper answers to Jace and red beaters. Furthermore, the deck already seems to have a lot of 3s that I'd rather be playing if possible.

Is Feed the Clan the ideal sideboard option right now? I see Jaddi Offshoot and Carrier Thrall as interesting alternatives. Since Atarka Red plays less burn, it feels like some other sideboard options might be preferable.

What about Transgress the Mind? It seems like a weak card to me in general and I'm not sure when I would really want to play it. The sideboard in general I'm not convinced is that well suited to the decks I'm expecting, and I'm not sure when I would bring in what.

Anyone have thoughts?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Myriad Truths posted:

I'm building the BG Eldrazi deck from the PT for local Standard tournaments (decklist here: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/330621#paper ), since the deck is sweet and does everything I want to be doing right now. I'm looking at touching it up a little considering how popular I expect Jeskai Black and Atarka Red to be. However, I am bad at building decks, so I'm not confident in my decision making.

Is Reave Soul a better option than Complete Disregard for the maindeck? Hangarbacks don't feel like really scary threats, and I really like the idea of having cheaper answers to Jace and red beaters. Furthermore, the deck already seems to have a lot of 3s that I'd rather be playing if possible.

Is Feed the Clan the ideal sideboard option right now? I see Jaddi Offshoot and Carrier Thrall as interesting alternatives. Since Atarka Red plays less burn, it feels like some other sideboard options might be preferable.

What about Transgress the Mind? It seems like a weak card to me in general and I'm not sure when I would really want to play it. The sideboard in general I'm not convinced is that well suited to the decks I'm expecting, and I'm not sure when I would bring in what.

Anyone have thoughts?

If you're going to be playing that many expensive Eldrazi and your only plan is to ramp into them, you might as well play 4 See the Unwritten mainboard to get them out faster than ramping.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ThePeavstenator posted:

If you're going to be playing that many expensive Eldrazi and your only plan is to ramp into them, you might as well play 4 See the Unwritten mainboard to get them out faster than ramping.

That doesn't belong in the deck at all imo. Half the point of playing sower and ulamog are for the cast triggers. The deck is surprisingly good at durdling and buying time until casting the bigger guys becomes an option. There's also not enough ways to get the ferocious trigger consistently.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Fingers McLongDong posted:

That doesn't belong in the deck at all imo. Half the point of playing sower and ulamog are for the cast triggers. The deck is surprisingly good at durdling and buying time until casting the bigger guys becomes an option. There's also not enough ways to get the ferocious trigger consistently.

Oops I read sower as the 9 costed eldrazi

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Played against a cool defenders deck on Xmage and thought it would be fun to tack it onto a mill deck. The big butts basically replace the fogs to buy you time to get your mill set up and become a real threat when you land your Assault Formation. Everything else is basically geared towards card draw to activate the tutelage. No ideas for sideboard yet. I'm still a Magic newbie so any critiques would be greatly appreciated.

Deck: Defender's Mill

//Artifacts
1 Alhammarret's Archive
2 Hedron Archive

//Creatures
4 Benthic Infiltrator
4 Dragon's Eye Savants
3 Guardians of Meletis
4 Monastery Flock
4 Tide Drifter

//Enchantments
4 Assault Formation
4 Monastery Siege
4 Sphinx's Tutelage

//Instants
3 Artificer's Epiphany
2 Scatter to the Winds

//Land
2 Blighted Cataract
2 Forest
5 Island
4 Lumbering Falls
4 Thornwood Falls
4 Yavimaya Coast

Display deck statistics

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Iucounu posted:

Played against a cool defenders deck on Xmage and thought it would be fun to tack it onto a mill deck. The big butts basically replace the fogs to buy you time to get your mill set up and become a real threat when you land your Assault Formation. Everything else is basically geared towards card draw to activate the tutelage. No ideas for sideboard yet. I'm still a Magic newbie so any critiques would be greatly appreciated.

Deck: Defender's Mill

//Artifacts
1 Alhammarret's Archive
2 Hedron Archive

//Creatures
4 Benthic Infiltrator
4 Dragon's Eye Savants
3 Guardians of Meletis
4 Monastery Flock
4 Tide Drifter

//Enchantments
4 Assault Formation
4 Monastery Siege
4 Sphinx's Tutelage

//Instants
3 Artificer's Epiphany
2 Scatter to the Winds

//Land
2 Blighted Cataract
2 Forest
5 Island
4 Lumbering Falls
4 Thornwood Falls
4 Yavimaya Coast

Display deck statistics

I really enjoy brews like this. I'm gonna put this on MODO tonight and see what happens.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

You're gonna want to put more land in it as I quickly found out.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Took BR Dragons to Game Day, went 3-2 losing to Abzan Aggro (got stuck on 4 lands for 4-5 turns with a lethal dashing Storm Fury in hand) and Abzan Rally/Coco Aristocrats which was just a blowout. I won against Atarka Red, Dark Jeskai and BR Dragons. Here is the deck:
MAIN
2 Complete Disregard
2 Despise
4 Draconic Roar
2 Fiery Impulse
2 Foul-Tongue Invocation
4 Hangarback Walker
2 Kolaghan's Command
3 Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
2 Murderous Cut
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited
3 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
1 Roast
2 Ruinous Path
4 Thunderbreak Regent

1 Blighted Fen
4 Bloodfell Caves
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Cinder Glade
1 Haven of the Spirit Dragon
4 Mountain
2 Smoldering Marsh
4 Swamp
4 Wooded Foothills

SIDE
2 Crux of Fate
1 Dragonmaster Outcast
3 Duress
1 Fiery Impulse
2 Outpost Siege
2 Radiant Flames
2 Read the Bones
1 Self-Inflicted Wound
1 Virulent Plague

I imagine I will see more Abzan Aggro and Aristocrats tomorrow based on the top 8 today. Things I'm considering and notes:
- Switching to Mardu - Crackling Doom, Hallowed Moonlight. Soulfire Grand Master, Seeker of the Way, Butcher of the Horde, Secure the Wastes, Sorin, Mardu Charm, Surge of Righteousness (I can't afford Gideons)
- Cutting or thinning: Ob Nixilis, Fiery Impulse, Despise, Crux of Fate and/or Ruinous Path
- Adding a 26th land - maybe Mortuary Mire as another recursion method that gives me back
- Adding Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

Questions:
- What graveyard hate is available in black, red and white?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Burn Away? Maybe Cranial Archive and Mardu Woe-Reaper, depending on what you want.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's also Infinite Obliteration but that's probably still too bad.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

So mill decks probably always suck but they especially suck in this standard where you have a lot of 4+ color decks and a bunch of devoid eldrazi running around.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Basically like regular control, except with a little more crushing defeat and a lot more Ulamog.

3 Fathom Feeder
3 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
4 Oblivion Sower
3 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

4 Spell Shrivel
4 Complete Disregard
1 Clash of Wills
1 Planar Outburst
2 Hedron Archive
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
3 Titan's Presence
2 Utter End
3 Ojutai's Command
1 Secure the Wastes

2 Blighted Fen
3 Swamp
4 Polluted Delta
2 Prairie Stream
3 Plains
4 Flooded Strand
1 Sunken Hollow
6 Island

SB:

3 Duress
1 Transgress the Mind
2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 Negate
2 Despise
2 Dispel
3 Languish

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I play more eldrazi than you in my g/w deck and I still don't like titan's presence. You'll find it a dead card more than you like, and if you only have 1 big eldrazi in hand you can't cast it or presence becomes a dead card agan. I'd run either more utter end, silkwrap to help with faster decks more, or quarantine field.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I play more eldrazi than you in my g/w deck and I still don't like titan's presence. You'll find it a dead card more than you like, and if you only have 1 big eldrazi in hand you can't cast it or presence becomes a dead card agan. I'd run either more utter end, silkwrap to help with faster decks more, or quarantine field.

I used to have 4 lol. Its a good to great card if you draw Ulamog in your opening hand, but yeah its a miserable topdeck. I could definitely see going down to 2 and increasing the Clash of Wills instead.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

With 23 sources of exile in your deck I feel like you can probably support some processors. Ulamog's Nullifier or Wasteland Strangler could be good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

With 23 sources of exile in your deck I feel like you can probably support some processors. Ulamog's Nullifier or Wasteland Strangler could be good.

Yeah, it was an iteration on a previous deck I was playing around with that was a Silkwrap/Stasis Snare deck that pulled them from the enchantments to enable Nullifier, Blight Herder and Strangler. I felt like that version was too cute, so I took the Processors out but then I was playing around with it last night and was like "there's no loving reason I'm playing all this exile without the Processors" so one of the versions I fiddled with just replaced stuff like Shrivel and some number of the Disregard for actual good cards:

Creatures:

2 Fathom Feeder
3 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
4 Oblivion Sower
3 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy

Planeswalker:

1 Ob Nixilis Reignited

Spells:

1 Hedron Archive
3 Ojutai's Command
2 Clash of Wills
2 Titan's Presence
2 Complete Disregard
3 Scatter to the Winds
2 Utter End
2 Languish
3 Dig Through Time

Land (26):

5 Island
2 Plains
3 Swamp
2 Prairie Stream
2 Sunken Hollow
4 Polluted Delta
4 Flooded Strand
2 Blighted Fen
2 Shambling Vent

Sideboard:

3 Duress
1 Transgress the Mind
1 Secure the Wastes
1 Negate
2 Dispel
1 Languish
2 Despise
2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
1 Planar Outburst
1 Quarantine Field

I will say this version has proven to be far better, and getting a control mirror is pretty awesome with both Ulamog and Oblivion Sower. Sower in particular can get loving ridiculous amounts of mana in a mirror with opponents delving lands. The matchup would probably be awful against go-wide aggro but so far everyone is very much on the "out of nowhere combo win," which is fairly easy to 2 or even 3 for 1.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 29, 2015

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Hey folks, I posted a bit about this in the main MTG thread, but now that it's looking like the casual tournament in question is actually going to happen, I'd like to submit my interim deck for some scrutiny.

Some friends and I are holding a casual tribal tournament with the following rules

1) Decks must be centered around a specific creature type, and that creature type must be:
a) A real animal
b) NOT a type that has any existing tribal effects - e.g. "beast" won't work even if all your beasts are the same animal
2) Each card in the deck other than basic lands and Refuges must depict at least one instance of the chosen creature type in its name, subtype, art, and/or flavor text
3) Animal people do not count, e.g. Siege Rhino is okay for a rhino deck but any kind of Rhox is not

I picked Boar, because pigs are lovely creatures. The deck below represents my current iteration, based on some Gatherer searches and a bit of goon advice.

Boar Tribal - Tappedout.net List

What do you folks think? I feel like these are the 60 I want for a G/r Stompy type deck. I may be underestimating the power of something like Copperhoof Vorrac, though. First round is on Saturday, so any feedback in advance of then would be greatly appreciated!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Revamped Grixis Thopters! :v:

4 Hangarback Walker
4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
2 Thopter Engineer
2 Pia and Kiran Nalaar

1 Brutal Expulsion
2 Duress
3 Fiery Impulse
1 Kolaghan's Command
1 Languish
1 Murderous Cut
2 Ruinous Path
1 Ultimate Price

4 Thopter Spy Network

4 Hedron Archive
1 Alhammarret's Archive

1 Ob Nixilis Reignited

4 Bloodstained Mire
5 Island
3 Mountain
4 Polluted Delta
3 Smoldering Marsh
3 Sunken Hollow
2 Swamp

Sideboard:
2 Disdainful Stroke
1 Dispel
2 Duress
2 Negate
2 Radiant Flames
1 Rending Volley
1 Roast
3 Self-Inflicted Wound
1 Ultimate Price

I really like the deck. It does very well against G/W/x deck since it goes wide in the air. It has about 50/50 against Jeskai depending on their specific set-up and whether they pull running Mantis Riders and I don't get the removal I need. And it does amazing against Esper Dragons/Control since it just grinds out value after dropping a Spy Network.

I'm kind of worried about G-Ramp Eldrazi since its very slow to kill, but no one around here plays it, so I haven't had a chance to test it out.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

AlternateNu posted:

Revamped Grixis Thopters! :v:

4 Hangarback Walker
4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
2 Thopter Engineer
2 Pia and Kiran Nalaar

1 Brutal Expulsion
2 Duress
3 Fiery Impulse
1 Kolaghan's Command
1 Languish
1 Murderous Cut
2 Ruinous Path
1 Ultimate Price

4 Thopter Spy Network

4 Hedron Archive
1 Alhammarret's Archive

1 Ob Nixilis Reignited

4 Bloodstained Mire
5 Island
3 Mountain
4 Polluted Delta
3 Smoldering Marsh
3 Sunken Hollow
2 Swamp

Sideboard:
2 Disdainful Stroke
1 Dispel
2 Duress
2 Negate
2 Radiant Flames
1 Rending Volley
1 Roast
3 Self-Inflicted Wound
1 Ultimate Price

I really like the deck. It does very well against G/W/x deck since it goes wide in the air. It has about 50/50 against Jeskai depending on their specific set-up and whether they pull running Mantis Riders and I don't get the removal I need. And it does amazing against Esper Dragons/Control since it just grinds out value after dropping a Spy Network.

I'm kind of worried about G-Ramp Eldrazi since its very slow to kill, but no one around here plays it, so I haven't had a chance to test it out.

What would you suggest as a replacement for 4x Jace for the laymen version of this build?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Jenny Angel posted:

Hey folks, I posted a bit about this in the main MTG thread, but now that it's looking like the casual tournament in question is actually going to happen, I'd like to submit my interim deck for some scrutiny.

Some friends and I are holding a casual tribal tournament with the following rules

1) Decks must be centered around a specific creature type, and that creature type must be:
a) A real animal
b) NOT a type that has any existing tribal effects - e.g. "beast" won't work even if all your beasts are the same animal
2) Each card in the deck other than basic lands and Refuges must depict at least one instance of the chosen creature type in its name, subtype, art, and/or flavor text
3) Animal people do not count, e.g. Siege Rhino is okay for a rhino deck but any kind of Rhox is not

I picked Boar, because pigs are lovely creatures. The deck below represents my current iteration, based on some Gatherer searches and a bit of goon advice.

Boar Tribal - Tappedout.net List

What do you folks think? I feel like these are the 60 I want for a G/r Stompy type deck. I may be underestimating the power of something like Copperhoof Vorrac, though. First round is on Saturday, so any feedback in advance of then would be greatly appreciated!

Copperhoof vorrac forces control decks to either tap out on their turn or during your combat phase, letting you play whatever you like during your 2nd main. That's his real draw, he might not be as good since they got rid of mana burn and in bad tribal format I have no idea how good he'd be.

Edit: also please make obnoxious pig grunts every time you attack

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 6, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

What would you suggest as a replacement for 4x Jace for the laymen version of this build?

Well, the truth is, there is no replacement for Jace. He's just that good. But, if I couldn't play with him, I would probably just add it more removal. Maindeck a Radiant Flames, the 4th Fiery Impulse (or a Wild Slash), and the 2 Negates, most likely.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

I will say this version has proven to be far better, and getting a control mirror is pretty awesome with both Ulamog and Oblivion Sower. Sower in particular can get loving ridiculous amounts of mana in a mirror with opponents delving lands. The matchup would probably be awful against go-wide aggro but so far everyone is very much on the "out of nowhere combo win," which is fairly easy to 2 or even 3 for 1.

Mind talking about your sideboard a bit? I'm stealing this for Standard and I'm curious about some of those choices.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
This original brew showed up at my FNM last night and did... average, which is better than some people expected. I got the decklist off the guy and it is an absolute hoot to play, despite of, or maybe because of, its odd manabase, sideboard, and collection of fun-ofs. The feeling when you do a mediocre Wealth, follow it up with an Oblivion Sower for a big stack of lands for a bigger second Wealth (sometimes off a Jace) is fantastic.:

1 Dragonlord's Prerogative
3 Villainous Wealth
2 Oblivion Sower
1 Silumgar, the Drifting Death
1 Nissa's Renewal
3 Crux of Fate
1 Murderous Cut
2 Languish
3 Retreat to Kazandu
2 Sultai Charm
1 Scatter to the Winds
2 Ruinous Path
3 Animist's Awakening
2 Horribly Awry
2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
3 Anticipate
1 Evolving Wilds
2 Thornwood Falls
1 Yavimaya Coast
2 Forest
4 Island
1 Blighted Cataract
1 Blighted Fen
5 Swamp
4 Opulent Palace
2 Dismal Backwater
2 Jungle Hollow
1 Llanowar Wastes

Sideboard:
2 Winds of Qal Sisma
1 Polluted Delta
2 Displacement Wave
1 Retreat to Kazandu
1 Scatter to the Winds
1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
1 Pearl Lake Ancient
1 Infinite Obliteration
1 Negate
1 Villainous Wealth
1 Silumgar's Command
2 Natural Connection

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So I have been working on a sultai counters deck for a while now, the mana base won't be 100% unless we get the enemy ODuals in Oath, but I'm wanting you guys to rip it apart. It has done well against G/R eldrazi and Abzan Aggro, which is all I have tested it on (oh and it beat my tutelage deck but really, what doesn't) and I'm looking for suggestions or criticisms.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sultai-counters-4/

quote:

Creature (24)
4x Avatar of the Resolute
3x Drana, Liberator of Malakir
4x Hangarback Walker
2x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip
4x Managorger Hydra
4x Undergrowth Champion
3x Woodland Wanderer

Instant (7)
2x Dig Through Time
3x Stubborn Denial
2x Ultimate Price

Sorcery (4)
2x Bring to Light
2x Ruinous Path

Enchantment (2)
2x Hardened Scales

Land (23)
1x Canopy Vista
1x Flooded Strand
2x Forest
2x Island
2x Llanowar Wastes
4x Lumbering Falls
4x Polluted Delta
1x Prairie Stream
4x Sunken Hollow
1x Swamp
1x Windswept Heath

Sideboard (15)
1x Bone Splinters
3x Disdainful Stroke
2x Languish
2x Negate
1x Rush of Ice
2x Self-Inflicted Wound
2x Send to Sleep
1x Stubborn Denial
1x Ultimate Price

Maybeboard (8)
4x Aerial Volley
4x Skyrider Elf
3x Bone Splinters

I really like the skyriders because I can make them big with 4 colors, and the aerial volleys are basically anti-thopter token possibilities. Im debating some bone splinters main board as a way to pop the hangarbacks and blow up a creature.

I don't know tear this thing apart and tell me why this is a horrible idea.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 17, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm just getting back into Magic after taking a break since the Onslaught block. I'm definitely not going deep into competitive standard, especially not while doing so involves buying $300 worth of fetches as a basic entry fee, so I'm mostly looking at doing reasonably inexpensive decks for friendly FNM-level play. I'm currently looking at a BW Rally/Aristocrats theme based around Zulaport Cutthroat and Kalastria Healer. Here's a prospective list:

The Drain Train

Creatures (31)
4x Zulaport Cutthroat
4x Kalastria Healer
3x Kor Bladewhirl
4x Lantern Scout
3x Veteran Warleader
4x Drana's Emissary
3x Makindi Patrol
3x Drana, Liberator of Malakir
3x Grim Haruspex

Spells (8)
4x Collected Company
2x Rally the Ancestors
2x March from the Tomb

Lands (21)
4x Ally Encampment
4x Sandsteppe Citadel
4x Evolving Wilds
3x Plains
3x Forest
3x Swamp

It's somewhat hampered by the fact that there are currently 37 allies in Standard across all five colors, unplayable trash commons included, so trying to get consistent Kalastria Healer triggers means including a lot of cards that are unexceptional on their own. I'm also somewhat concerned about a lack of synergy between the White and Black half of the decks, since it's not trying to be an aggro deck but it doesn't really have the bodies on the table to just sit back and fend off bigger creatures. I'm hoping that having Rally activations available at instant speed from Collected Company and Rally the Ancestors should help that, and combining them with Cutthroat and Healer should make for some amusing revolving door lifedrain situations where I get a bunch of triggers from everyone coming in, activate rally so I can first strike/lifelink block some of their more important creatures while chumping with everyone who got rallied in so they can trigger again on their way out and end up back in the graveyard to do it again instead of getting exiled.

Budget manabase is probably here to stay and I think being able to threaten instant speed rally activations is too important to the deck to ever consider cutting Collected Company, but I'm not convinced Veteran Warleader belongs in the deck or Green has anything else to offer without shelling out for a manabase that could support full Abzan casting.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 17, 2015

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Man, does this standard season suck for brewing so far or what?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Meh. It's not as good as some in the past but I've been having fun coming up with some unusual ideas. My pet project has been finding ways to win games with Thopter Spy Network, but Ghostfire Blade/Ingest has a been a close second. Ally decks are also reasonably easy to come up with and can definitely win some games.

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 30, 2015

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Why brew when the mana base allows for everyone to just play "GoodStuff.dec"?

Seriously, if Abzan Midrange wasn't good enough before now you can accommodate ALL THE COLORS. Jeskai was getting weak on its own? Throw in another color! Want to play blue in any deck? Hope you can afford Jaces!

Once fetches rotate things will be more reasonable. If the 'Waste' lands spoiler were real we could see some actually dynamic deck choices come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

stinkles1112 posted:

Meh. It's not as good as some in the past but I've been having fun coming up with some unusual ideas. My pet project has been finding ways to win games with Thopter Spy Network, but Ghostfire Blade/Ingest has a been a close second. Ally decks are also reasonably easy to come up with and can definitely win some games.

Reposting because I still love this deck:

4 Hangarback Walker
4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
2 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
2 Thopter Engineer

1 Pyromancer's Goggles
4 Hedron Archive

1 Brutal Expulsion
2 Duress
3 Fiery Impulse
1 Kolaghan's Command