Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I'm happy to see you guys LPing this. Dishonored took a while to get into, but when it finally clicked, it became one of my favorite games. That, combined with your LPing style, makes me very excited. I'm sure I'll learn lots of things I didn't catch on my playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The mention of tentacles is what starts to give you the impression that these may not be what we immediately think of when the word "whales" is used. That and the fact that whale oil is a volatile explosive rivaling nitroglycerin.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Dareon posted:

The mention of tentacles is what starts to give you the impression that these may not be what we immediately think of when the word "whales" is used. That and the fact that whale oil is a volatile explosive rivaling nitroglycerin.

It gets used for stranger and stranger devices as the game goes on, leading me to question whether the oil just powers them or if it's more integral to their operation.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Brainamp posted:

Dunwallians are dicks to whales.
I think I'll put these into Roboky's first update since he futzes around with the whale oil mechanics a bit.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Brainamp posted:

Dunwallians are dicks to whales.

That's basically what real whalers did.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

First episode has been updated with the prelude to the game.

e: I also added an annotation to 3:04 to let you skip the intro seamlessly. It's the first time I've done something like that, so if it behaves weird for you please let me know.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 4, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Well, my own playstyle is quickly shaping up to be "tries to be sneaky/nonlethal, but these people keep walking into my sword." It's not my fault I mis-blinked to a ledge and landed on them!

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Well glad to see this Lp surprised me, I very rarely veer away from Nice/Stealth/Nonlethal runs so hopefully the Murder run will be cathartic as gently caress to watch.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I have to admit, I don't really like High Chaos runs all that much. I gave it a go, and apart from my reflexes being along the lines of a dying turtle, the storyline changes weren't really for me.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

I have to admit, I don't really like High Chaos runs all that much. I gave it a go, and apart from my reflexes being along the lines of a dying turtle, the storyline changes weren't really for me.

That's the catch 22 with this game IMO. The fun way to play penalizes you for using all these tools they eventually hand you.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

To be fair it'd make a comparison to Undertale's (spoilers of a dark path) Genocide route, in that going on a murder spree is incredibly bleak and deals with the consequences rather well, you are a villain and everything goes to poo poo

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Calax posted:

That's the catch 22 with this game IMO. The fun way to play penalizes you for using all these tools they eventually hand you.

I wouldn't call it a penalty, per se- like Stormgale said, the consequences actually fit in with the story. Honestly, I'd have felt more cheated if they allowed for a Low Chaos-style ending even if you do go full-on BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD OUTSIDER. I also kind of have to disagree with the tools statement- sure, murderers get all these cool toys, but stealthy non-lethal players have to deal with hiding bodies, taking the time to choke people out, managing funds for limited resources etc. The skillsets are different between the two, and I don't think a Low Chaos playthrough misses out on anything.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Low Chaos is kind of like a very careful surgery to remove a harmful element from the patient.

High Chaos is when the surgeon really loving hates the harmful element in the patient and decides it's going to take it out no matter the cost and he somehow snuck a chainsaw into surgery before locking and barring the operating room doors.

So in effect the results are fairly predictable.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Calax posted:

I've never quite understood how this view arose. If you gleefully murder everyone in your way, the game responds by giving you more guards and more rats to...basically gleefully murder more dudes.

If you avoid everyone and act 'chill', the game responds by giving you fewer dudes to avoid and fewer things to make un-chill. It's really quite elegant in my mind.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I think the main problem is that at the start of the game you get a pop-up saying "Indiscriminate killing will have consequences" and most people tend to read consequences as "bad things will happen to you" as opposed to "things will happen in the world."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
High chaos gets you a much more interesting final level, though.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Coolguye posted:

I've never quite understood how this view arose. If you gleefully murder everyone in your way, the game responds by giving you more guards and more rats to...basically gleefully murder more dudes.

If you avoid everyone and act 'chill', the game responds by giving you fewer dudes to avoid and fewer things to make un-chill. It's really quite elegant in my mind.

I think it's more that people would want to be murdering sociopaths, while still getting the "good" ending rather than the bad one. And having your actions effect the world would mean more if you weren't blocked into small pieces of it at a time. If this went full Bethesda levels of open world and let you roam around the city, killing and completing contracts as you felt like it, I could understand. But with the way the game is structured and how its level based, it doesn't feel like you're in a living breathing city as much as Los Santos or Tamriel does

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd honestly argue it feels more like a living city than anything in Tamriel because you get actual scripted dialogue as opposed to repeated nonsense about mudcrabs and arrows, not to mention real level design with multiple access ways as opposed to "choose the front or back door". It's very difficult to make open-world games immersive, with smaller levels you can give more attention to the critical details.

edit: Admittedly, there is quite a bit of stock dialogue in Dishonored ("Shall we gather for whiskey and cigars tonight?"), but at the speed you can progress through the levels it doesn't really have the time to become grating.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 4, 2015

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Oh man, this is definitely one of my favourite games, looking forward to this.

You mentioned in the sewers that you were going to be inputting a lot of safe codes without finding the solution first. I might be misremembering, but I thought some of them were random/generated from a small set?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC there are two semi-random codes but they are both mission objectives.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I probably remember that because those are the ones I bothered to look up then :v:. I've played this five or six times now, and never actually done any of the completionist stuff.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dareon posted:

They are whales, you can see one being brought in on a ship in the very first part of the game on the little motorboat. The tentacles aren't anything like what you'd think, more like fleshy whiskers. There's also an opportunity for a closer examination of one in one of the dlc's.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

There's a slight difference to how they look to hint how greater different they are "spiritually" than what you expect from "whales".

Supposedly the inhabited part of the world is just a large collection of islands. The only "continent" is a mysterious, largely unexplored "New World"-esqe landmass that the game describes in bits and drabs. Is there going to be showing of what the heart says when there isn't an immediate objective?

One thing I read about the Heart was that it is the Empress's, as the voice uses the same voice actor.

The Outsider is just a bored, rear end in a top hat.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Calax posted:

Isn't that the catch 22 of real life as well? If evil wasn't generally easier or more fun than good, crime rates would be minuscule and moral codes largely unnecessary.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

LashLightning posted:

Is there going to be showing of what the heart says when there isn't an immediate objective?

If it helps I use the heart accidentally a lot whenever my brain stops working and I forget I'm holding a pulsing void-infused vital organ and try to Blink.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

If it helps I use the heart accidentally a lot whenever my brain stops working and I forget I'm holding a pulsing void-infused vital organ and try to Blink.

What you may lack in skill sometimes you make up for in heart at least.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

LashLightning posted:

One thing I read about the Heart was that it is the Empress's, as the voice uses the same voice actor.

This game tend to imply things rather than outright state them. This is one of those things.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

LashLightning posted:

I finished the base game about 3 times, got most of the achievements, and then went on to do the DLC.

I never realized until about a month ago when I read it somewhere that you can use the Heart (as in, press the right trigger) to make her talk and commend about stuff rather than just taking it out and using it as a compass. :hurr:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

RickVoid posted:

This game tend to imply things rather than outright state them. This is one of those things.

Harvey Smith, however, does say things explicitly. And that's one of the things he has explicitly said.

The other big thing is that other people don't really see the Heart on Corvo's person until he pulls it out. Which means he just sort of flicks his wrist and all of a sudden he's holding OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THAT

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Harvey Smith, however, does say things explicitly. And that's one of the things he has explicitly said.

The other big thing is that other people don't really see the Heart on Corvo's person until he pulls it out. Which means he just sort of flicks his wrist and all of a sudden he's holding OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THAT

He's great at parties.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The best way to play is to use the Heart while pointing it at a random grunt. It gives you a little bit of dialogue about them, like 'he's the only one to take care of his ailing mother' or 'he once stabbed a man in an ally because he didn't like the way he smelled'. At which point, you deal with the grunt in the appropriate way.

It turns the entire game into a really dark episode of Spongebob Squarepants.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

We initially talked about having a Heart Run like that, but the Heart has a relatively small number of quotes for classes of people, so it starts repeating pretty quickly. It's one of those things that is great fun to play at home, but not really compelling enough for us to invest like 10 hours of your time and like 50 of ours to show off.

What I'm saying is if those of you playing at home want a fun gimmick, ^

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I've never played this game, and I'm getting serious Deus Ex vibes from the gameplay. By that I mean I'm hooked and will probably buy it.

I've heard it said that Dishonored is the game that Thi4f wanted to be, and I'm starting to see why people say that. The plague, the oppressive pall of the setting, the stealth sections, taking random objects that translate to coins. But those things felt overplayed in Thi4f and seemed to be tacked in nonsensically. Dishonored seems to implement those elements far more elegantly. The things I didn't buy in Thi4f, I accept without question in this game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm pretty sure those random grunts are all cycling through the exact same heart clips though. For example Cecelia just gets the same generic female quotes as other women.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Poil posted:

I'm pretty sure those random grunts are all cycling through the exact same heart clips though. For example Cecelia just gets the same generic female quotes as other women.

Correct. Each particular class of common NPC has about a half-dozen quotes that the Heart will cycle through. Low class guards will get a certain set, their captains (who are typically noblemen) will get another set, civilians get another set, etc. If you only ask the heart about one in every 10 or so NPCs you see, it's a really nice touch. If you ask the heart about everyone (or ask the heart about the same person 4-5 times), you almost immediately see what's up. There's a few people in the Hound Pits Pub who are considered generic NPCs - Cecelia is one of them.

Spookyelectric posted:

taking random objects that translate to coins.
The funny thing is that when I first played this game, I was super confused by this until I met Piero the first time, and he said "yeah just pick up any old poo poo and I'll fence it for you." One of the only times a face cam would've ever been appropriate would've been to catch my transition from "dafuq :confused:" to "hokay! :haw:"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think an earlier iteration of this game might have had a crafting system where all the junk you find gets turned into gear instead of cash on the spot. One of Piero's journals mentions kingsparrow feathers, crystal dust and copper wires, all items you scrounge.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Speedball posted:

I think an earlier iteration of this game might have had a crafting system where all the junk you find gets turned into gear instead of cash on the spot. One of Piero's journals mentions kingsparrow feathers, crystal dust and copper wires, all items you scrounge.

I always figured that was the handwave explanation; basically, the items you get save you the cost that it would take Piero to get the item, and thus a penny saved is a penny earned, etc. etc. I never heard of anything different, and it's much better this way IMO.

Poil posted:

Lydia, on the other hand, gets a few nice (if very sad) lines that really made me empathize with her. She flirts a bit with Corvo, too. It always seemed kinda cute.

[REDACTED QUIBBLING DETAIL]

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 4, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zomborgon posted:

Lydia, on the other hand, gets a few nice (if very sad) lines that really made me empathize with her. She flirts a bit with Corvo, too. It always seemed kinda cute.
The only ones who don't have sad lines are the assholes. :smith:

Also you probably want to edit out that last part of your post.

Image21
Feb 15, 2012
I love this game but it has an irritating habit of killing dudes I choked out if they touch an incline greater than an inch. Also Coolguye there are three other things you can kill without raising chaos.

Also, there is one power that makes this game a joke. I kinda hope you both use it and don't. Cause it's that good. Expensive though. You can legit get in the upcoming lvl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The only time I've accidentally killed someone after choking them out was when I dumped a guard at the top of a staircase. But it's completely understandable that he broke his neck and died after all that uncomfortable tumbling.

• Locked thread