Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Poil posted:

Weird, I remember the conversation with the sick overseer after the assassination being very different. Maybe it was a different place.

Possessing is really fun, it even works on fish. Who hasn't wanted to possess fish every once in a while?

It's one of those things that can change up depending on your chaos level. There are lots of things like that and it's not always just based on your chaos level.

I'm glad "secrets" get a little accompanying noise, but I was always a little disappointed they didn't do the Thief thing of having a louder noise and a little text pop-up.

Edit: Speaking of things I'm glad of, that Overseer's sermon thing is pretty great. Their world is a hosed up place full of very real horrors and the Abbey is, for all intents and purposes, an equally hosed up Inquisition. Only difference is that they are more like Radical Atheists who don't want anyone to believe in any sort of higher power, cause that's just asking for the Outsider to knock on your door.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

It can be seen elsewhere too - Dr galvanni's place has more rat swarms on the top floor (?) and the city proper has more rat swarms killing guards.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I thought the game didn't take that into account until after this mission. That's really cool.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The thing is that the Outsider deals with atheists with similar methods to those used by the gods of Discworld, except he contracts out the window-breaking duty to empowered assassins and madwomen.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

double nine posted:

It can be seen elsewhere too - Dr galvanni's place has more rat swarms on the top floor (?) and the city proper has more rat swarms killing guards.

High Chaos has more hostiles of every stripe. Rat swarms, weepers, there's even more guards later on. The only thing I think you end up with less of is Overseers, but that might just be bias from there being so much of everything else.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
And with the end of my first High Chaos run, I have developed a taste for blood and the horribleness only escalates from here.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

; if you kill 20 guys in the first mission, you'll be High Chaos until you've spared a total of 81+ other people [whether by not engaging them or by sleepdart/choke and careful body stashing]
So the threshold is a 20% murder rate?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I know that if you enter the Overseer's Office area of the game going low through the sewers, you're likely to wind up in the storm drain window right outside his secret room. There will be two Overseers in Campbell's room specifically discussing how they broke in there to look for his little black book of secrets.

They must spawn in that room if you head that way because they're definitely not there if you go in the other way. In fact I'm pretty sure guards spawn semi-regularly in this game, or else guards will deviate from their starting location, because a few times I was sure I cleared out the hallways completely and a new guy was there.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Sindai posted:

So the threshold is a 20% murder rate?

That was one of the game's primary criticisms once people started to work its systems out. It doesn't matter who you kill, or what you kill them with, or if you were stealthy or if you fired your pistol to alert everyone in the city and honorably sword dueled them, if you kill more than 20% of the level's inhabitants, you are chaotic.

It's not a a great system. :sigh:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

And with the end of my first High Chaos run, I have developed a taste for blood and the horribleness only escalates from here.
So basically by the end of this LP, there will be enough evidence to charge you with war crimes in at least 5 different continuities, correct?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

So basically by the end of this LP, there will be enough evidence to charge you with war crimes in at least 5 different continuities, correct?

It's not a war crime if the victims are Eldar.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

Keeshhound posted:

That was one of the game's primary criticisms once people started to work its systems out. It doesn't matter who you kill, or what you kill them with, or if you were stealthy or if you fired your pistol to alert everyone in the city and honorably sword dueled them, if you kill more than 20% of the level's inhabitants, you are chaotic.

It's not a a great system. :sigh:

I believe that's the main determinant, although actions like "Poison the Bottle Street Still" and "Save Geoff Curnow" apparently count one way or the other for chaos.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

It is not a full binary at 20%. 'Medium' chaos is a thing that exists and basically the tiers look something like:

0%-19% of all human characters die - Low chaos
20-49% of all human characters die - Medium chaos
50%+ of all human characters die - High chaos

Medium chaos was scrubbed in the expansions, though, because there isn't enough of a difference between medium and high chaos to be terribly noticeable except in the very last mission of the campaign, people tended to play one extreme or the other, and it was a lot of extra effort. I believe in Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches, medium chaos's purview just gets called low chaos.

Special actions like the one Nekomimi's referring to, in game terms, 'count' as a specific number of kills, if my memory serves me correctly. I believe poisoning the Bottle Street Gang counts as 5 kills, whereas refusing to do it is just 0. Conversely, saving Bernholdt's sister (which Roboky didn't do, but I will) counts as...it's either -3 or -5 kills, while failing to do it has no effect.

I might be misremembering the special actions entirely, it's 1AM right now and I'm a bit cooked. I will see if I can confirm this for ya'll tomorrow.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 16, 2015

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

AradoBalanga posted:

By the end of the LP there'll be no one left to charge me for war crimes :unsmigghh:

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

Speedball posted:

They must spawn in that room if you head that way because they're definitely not there if you go in the other way. In fact I'm pretty sure guards spawn semi-regularly in this game, or else guards will deviate from their starting location, because a few times I was sure I cleared out the hallways completely and a new guy was there.

I recall the devs saying (and I've noticed myself) that guards will expand their patrol routes to encompass those of other guards who have gone missing. They have dialogue along the lines of "Hmm, someone's supposed to be over here." I'm pretty sure you're also right that they occasionally spawn in new guards as well, but I have no verification of that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You will.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

TheLastRoboKy posted:

By the end of the LP there'll be no one left to charge me for war crimes :unsmigghh:
Thou shall sit before a tribunal of rats and hear them proclaim you their hero with squeaky voices.

edit: Also Overseer Bartholomew is a misunderstood genius and a worthy successor to that one guy from Thief 2 who built rockets.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 16, 2015

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Coolguye posted:

Medium chaos was scrubbed in the expansions, though, because there isn't enough of a difference between medium and high chaos to be terribly noticeable except in the very last mission of the campaign

Yeah, I got medium on my first playthrough and was confused why everyone else on high chaos were angry at you know who.

Neflame
Aug 26, 2013
This LP got me to pull this game out again. It's always been a favorite of mine and I'm now wondering why I never tried the approach of killing everyone in sight instead of giving neck hugs sooner. Ignoring stealth in this game is turning out to be some of the best fun I've had in a while and I've developed a new-found love for a couple of the powers I never really used before :unsmigghh:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Add me to the list of people who had to reinstall. Playing through the DLCs, which I saw you are going to do so I won't say much. I gave them a pass the first time around, but they are totally worth playing. Some of the objectives in Knife of Dunwall were... Pretty great.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The dlcs are arguably even better than the base game. The only one I'd say isn't a must have is the Dunwall Challenges, but even then those challenges are for the most part neat as heck and fun to run every now and then. They also make great practice for the campaign.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You should at least do the aerial execution trial, that's fun as hell and comes with a bonus at the end.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Brainamp posted:

The dlcs are arguably even better than the base game. The only one I'd say isn't a must have is the Dunwall Challenges, but even then those challenges are for the most part neat as heck and fun to run every now and then. They also make great practice for the campaign.

What'd be the odds they go on sale come Halloween?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

double nine posted:

What'd be the odds they go on sale come Halloween?
Chances are very good.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Pretty good, though they were in that Stealth Game sale in the last week or so. That was only 50% off though, and I'm holding out for 75%.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yeah, just expect to be buggered on the DLC price. Although now I think about it, there's a GOTY already, isn't it? So just nab that, the DLC is top notch and rather lengthy as well.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Oh, man, remind me to tell you a great Springrazor trick if we don't see it in our first sadism run. Hint: Bend time stops projectiles

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zomborgon posted:

Oh, man, remind me to tell you a great Springrazor trick if we don't see it in our first sadism run. Hint: Bend time stops projectiles
And just the fact someone thought of this and coded it in proves there were some deliciously twisted minds at work designing this game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Poil posted:

Chances are very good.

Should we gather for whiskey and cigars tonight?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You have no idea how many times Orv and I have bumped that joke back and forth since we started talking about this lp.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

double nine posted:

Should we gather for whiskey and cigars tonight?

It gets a nice callback in one of the DLCs. Gave me a laugh when I heard it.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It gets a nice callback in one of the DLCs. Gave me a laugh when I heard it.

Do you think you'll get your own squad after what happened last night?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TomViolence posted:

Do you think you'll get your own squad after what happened last night?

Never doubt it! :doom:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Dareon posted:

Never doubt it! :doom:

Blow off, choffer :mad:

Neflame
Aug 26, 2013

Lunethex posted:

Blow off, choffer :mad:

Indeed, I believe so.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Have you heard any news from the other parts of Tam- wait.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I saw some mudcrabs by the water recently. I steered clear of them.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The timing works out that if you skirt around the left side of the room as you enter by the time you get around the guy with the yard key is in place and the other guy is too far too ee you pickpocket him. Granted you won't get the other guy's purse but they are rarely worth it!

e: Also speaking of funny canned dialogue clashes I had one guard saying how even though many people didn't like the empress he did to which is colleague responded "nasty furry filth"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zomborgon posted:

I saw some mudcrabs by the water recently. I steered clear of them.
I used to be a guard, then I took a bolt into the knee. Next thing I know, I'm on fire, screaming and ending up as a well-done meal for rats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Patrolling Gristol almost makes you wish for a whale oil winter.

• Locked thread