Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'd pay good money to have Corvo's assassinations investigated by Jerry Orbach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Columbo would be great for the nonlethals kills.

My heart is heavy that Jerry Orbach is dead. I just keep picturing him with a cup of coffee in one hand, making jokes at the expense of the dead men stacked like cord wood in robokys wake.

And then Lois omg all composure to stomp on rats.

The many many rats.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
That's would cover up a lot of the evidence and if they didn't mail the investigators to death they'd be stuck crushing the rats for DAYS.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's powered by whale oil.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Thinking about it, actually kinda reminds me of something from Marathon:

Durandal posted:

Many years of loving craftsmanship went into the design and construction of this brutal tool of mayhem, I hope you can appreciate that. I won’t waste my time trying to explain the loading mechanism to you -- your primitive mind could never grasp its complex nature

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The first like twenty seconds of Piertos dialogue had me like "oh poo poo that's the doctor from Deadwood.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
No vomitting, but you can make them piss all overstuff together.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
If Dishonored 2 has fear mechanics, I hope to the natural philosphers are turning out some version of Elixir of Spiritual Steadfastness, which is basically Natural Philosopher PCP/meth/coke to help everyone overcome their fear of getting violently shanked from the shadows.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The alternative to them running away is them surrendering, which can work fairly well. Get the guards scared and kill off the Captain and then they'll surrender and you can bypass them or summon a legion of rats, or possibly make them do useful stuff (open doors, disable security systems, etc). Then if you start killing them they'll pick their swords back up and go back to trying to murder you, because they'd rather die on their feet. of course if the Assassin gets a reputation for murdering everyone, then maybe guards will stop each other from surrendering.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Oh man I hope they play up the Old Man Corvo thing in a fun way. Snake being old was one of my favorite parts about MGS4 and Arkane seem like the kind of people who would actually have fun with an old man protagonist. I'm also glad it feels like his powers are just getting further upgraded and not 'reset' between games.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
What is the actual backstory that's a letdown? Because I love the idea that he's a whale.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Star Wars tech is basically stagnant but evolves horizontally. Like they have the same poo poo but they just end up doing it differently because it's basically peaked and plateaued. Also because Star Wars is more science Fantasy than science Fiction. It's more symbolic and appearance oriented than anything.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'm not sure what the real in-universe logic is for why poo poo doesn't really change but I always kinda just got the impression that stuff in SW stays the same because it's more about aesthetic and image in varying areas than anything. That and it's never been thought about as like an entire civilization, it's been different games, cartoons, comics, and loving piles upon piles of books, that basically are all trying to be Star Wars, but aren't always aware that there should be some degree of technological difference from being three thousand years in the past.

I'm not actually super on a lot of SW EU stuff, my main familiarity is with the various games, most especially the KOTOR games. Where poo poo is basically exactly the same, because it's a Star Wars game, and having a lightsaber you need to recharge after a few swings. And why would you waste a pile of time and money creating new laser effects or laser guns when people will want to shoot blasters, so just use blasters.

Like I mentioned earlier, I think this ends being explained as basically being a sideways technological development. People do the something different to the same effect, whether because it's cheaper, more efficient, or less resource intensive, or what have you. But it never really changes, because Star Wars is represented by certain aesthetics, and deviating from that, doesn't wholly fit Star Wars. That's not to say there isn't EU material that has different stuff, but at least in my experience, it's more the case.

Also, iirc, Tatooine actually has lovely minerals that are prone to rusting near anything resembling water, so while they're relatively fine on Tatooine, a desert with practically negative humidity, as soon as they go to any place with anything resembling moisture they rust and rot to dust. So it gets colonized, people export minerals, get driven to bankruptcy by Sand People and their lovely product, and a few years later someone else gets the same idea and history repeats itself.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Orv posted:

Star Wars is bad and stupid, is your answer.

Basically this.

Also I'm glad you guys are doing the DLC because I totally forgot it existed and now I also have to play it.

Coolguye posted:

u forgot to call it shart warz

Honestly, that little bit kind of made a lot of the Granny Rags stuff in Dishonored more effective in retrospect for me. She shows up a couple of times for Corvo and you see an old apartment of hers and that's grand, but it kind of gives you her origin point and her ending point; there is a tendency to think that she sort of linearly went from point A to point B, which is shrines and runes and then suddenly Slackjaw Stew. With a cookbook and a sidequest it really quickly became a lot more real that no, between point A and point B there were AT LEAST points Y and Z and in a lot of ways those points were a lot more hosed up than point Slackjaw Stew because she not only understands enough about human transmutation to do some occult poo poo with it, she understands human transmutation as it relates to an obscure disease process and the occult properties inherent to whales.

At that point I'm just like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG145xzkAG8&t=15s

I can't help but feel that when she asks Corvo to deal with those guys she's not being old senile, but playing the role of The Outsider. Granny is bored, and here comes someone interesting, and lets see what he'll do for a shiny trinket. When I first played the game I thought she was just a spooky old witch to kinda show that you're not the only one with the Outsider's influence and to see what his influence can do to people. And now we kinda get the idea that she's been around for a long time, longer than the Outsider implied, and she'll be around a lot longer so long as Corvo doesn't throw her phylactery in a furnace.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, the Outsider specifically says that they're bearing his mark. Dauds many assassins' don't have the mark, but they did learn how to blink. Granny Rags definitely knows a lot but does she just worship the outsider, or is she marked? And considering that some of those people, much like that boy, Daud, and Corvo, have all died, or are all going to die soon, or are at serious risk of an imminent death, that low number doesn't surprise me.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
We also never hear anything about Granny being visited by the Outsider. Corvo and Daud have both had visions of the Outsider in their sleep. It's unknown if he visits Granny in the same way, or he just enjoys watching her and what she does.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Daud and Corvo have access to an arsenal pretty much relevant to murder and sneakery, because that's what the Outsider has given them. Granny and the Witches have various different powers becasue they've figured them out or otherwise gained access to magic. It's never clearly stated just how anyone other than Corvo got their powers beyond "whale bone charms" and "rituals" and "the outsider". Just because people are visited by the outsider, or have magic powers, doesn't mean they have The Mark, which i kinda took to be one of the Outsider's Chosen. Someone otherwise non-magical or non-occult, who The Outsider was just like "here, have some loving magic" and let them get on to making life interesting. I don't think we see anyone else in the game whoa actually has a Mark besides Daud and Corvo, so it's hard to tell if other people have marks or if Daud's Whalers have a weaker version of said mark. It doesn't appear so, because the Marks apparently glow when using magic and Daud's will show through his glove.

tl;dr I'm pretty sure its not that there are eight magic users in the world, there are eight people that the Outsider finds super special interesting.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Orv posted:

I will promise one episode of DLC science, so make your ideas known now, that goes for anybody.

Also get better alcohol.

It's a good thing I live real close to Total Wine.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
3.7 stars total wine reviewers? What the gently caress!

Glenlivet 12 year will always hold a special place in my heart, as it's the first whisky i ever really had. My friends bought me a bottle for my 21st.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I may have to pick some up the next time I go in. The best time to drink is when watching lets plays. I've been meaning to try new things to fit my new, sunnier location, but fuckit whisky is whisky.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Dishonored 2 needs fluff books of cocktails and the drinking culture of the Empire. I'm curious to see what alcohol people drink on boats when the sea is possessed by murder whales. I don't think a gimlet is going to cut it for naval officers in that context.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

thecluckmeme posted:

The bar I frequent in town has a Glenfidditch 21-year-old that I get for a slight discount because the bartender knows gently caress-all about scotch, so when I ask for it neat she gives me a full rocks glass of it for the price of what they'd charge if she poured it over a full rocks glass of ice. :cawg: $18 for a full rocks glass of 21 year old scotch is the best.

But yeah, my real Bourbon love is Woodford Reserve, but like gently caress am I going to be able to shell out 50 bucks for a 750 every time I want bourbon. Wild Turkey's just good enough, in the supply my small-rear end town gives me, for half the price. It's better than Ancient Age at least.

WT101 is a pretty great price/bourbon ratio, and I heartily recommend it to people who need bourbon on a budget.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

George posted:

I once gave a buddy of mine a bit of Laphroaig and he drank it like a shot.

Don't do that.

There's a special place in hell reserved for men who waste good whiskey.

IronSaber posted:

Shall we gather for whiskey and more whiskey tonight? Let's Play Dishonored

I feel this is an appropriate title for the DLC.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Jack2142 posted:

Overall Dishonored managed to pull off something Elderscrolls/Bioware/Fallout etc. all failed in that if you play like a broken man turned murder machine everyone is terrified of you and it reflects in how much shittier the game world is in the later levels all the way to the ending where Samuel is disgusted with you and probably dying of the plague and Emily says she was going to kill the traitors anyway once she was able to :smith:

The difference is that those are open world games. Dishonored is a very linear game in terms of progression,because while what happens does change and you can solve your problems in so many different ways, you ultimately progress in a straight line and no decision alters the path beyond opening a door while closing another. Youre ultimately going to follow the same route, its just that sometimes you get to go down a side hallway. Its much easier for the developers to make it feel different because there is very clear rules on what can and cant have happened. An open world game has far too many variables to handle that.

An open world game like New Vegas or Skyrim is like painting a picture of your adventure. Dishonored is more like coloring in something that has already been drawn. The analogy holds up less in consideration of one of biowares games, but even the comparitively limited optinos in those dramatically increase the complexity of such things compared to dishonored. This isnt a slight against it, because dishonoreds linear mature lets it be fantastically focuses and polished, but that lack of focus is why you dont get the same results in other games.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Poil posted:

Imagining Dishonored as a Bethesda open world game is kinda depressing. All assassinations would be at the end of dungeon corridors and all the side quests be at their own dungeons.

"Ah, Corvo. Please fetch my new crossbow design, it's at the end of that weeper cave over on the other side of the city so you can take advantage of our wonderful fast travel system. When you're done with that I need an item from an overseer cave etc. Do these tasks and you'll become the new leader of the Academy."

No, that's exactly right. But it does happen in both high or low chaos if you do the relevant quest(s).

It'd also have a dearth of actual stealth mechanics and everything fun. While I'm sure one of them might be able to make a satisfying RPG in the Dishonored universe, if they tried making a game like Dishonored it would be the absolute godawfulest.

I'd like to see a game that's kind of a twits on Dishonored in that's focused around growth. You're a dude who gets Outsider powers, and while you do probably run around and murder the ever loving gently caress out of guys, you're also not out to drown the setting in blood and instead try to build a revolutionary force or something, recruiting dudes, through favors and/or outsider powered magic balloons, and giving them magic powers. So it's not just a matter of murder as it is a matter of change and growth. Starting fires to clear out the deadwood, not burn the first down.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

If we're talking open world stealth/assassination, honestly I think the best way to make it work is something like Die Hard. Keep the open world small and detailed, have a fixed number of enemies/targets that have a schedule of tasks and movements, and put a time limit on it to keep the player from losing too much focus.

This would probably be a pretty neat idea. I tend to think of it kinda like Deus Ex/DXHR or VtM:Bloodlines. You've got kinda open hub worlds, and more contained levels where you can fit all kinds of set pieces and shenanigans. Combine the two, to a certain extent, and give the player a decent sized area to run around in, a number of targets, some type of time limit maybe (I almost think something like Dead Rising's type of thing might work, and have them tied to the target's schedules/activities). I'm not super keen on a time limit, mostly because stealth and assassinations are about patience and a timer is the antithesis of patience. I would think of having like three targets, and alerting one could alert others if you didn't take precautions, and alerted dudes can be ready to flee or start fleeing or that kinda thing. Have the targets and guards actually work as a team and use that to have the player recon the situation, and find different ways to eliminate the target, side objectives, or ways to hamper enemy reinforcements and stuff.

Fake Edit: As I think about it, a regular roll-call for guards would work pretty good. I'm sure MGS has had it at some point, but having the guards have regular radio (or magic radio) checkins would be a pretty good way to have a time limit. You can disable the radio but that will raise suspicion when they fail to check in, and the impending radio check-in would function as a timer.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I was thinking more like Peace Walker, but i guess the AC comparison is unavoidable.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Actually that's one of the biggest complaints about Shadow of Mordor, branding being gated behind half the story.

Talk about Worst Design Decisions in history. I could live without the blow guns, but theres stuff hidden behind ropearrows and poo poo gently caress you gimme. I hate that Shadow of Mordor did that too. Why can't more games be like Saints Row 2 and give you access to everything after the end of the tutorial/prologue stuff. Seriously, we figured it out in SR2. That game is like a million years old and it's doing better than stuff right now ugh. Deus Ex and Dishonored did it right. Here's all of your poo poo? Got upgrade points? Cool, have whatever you want.

I'll never understand the logic behind it. What are they, trying to control pacing? It's an open world game, there is no such thing as pacing, unless you manage to hit a rare diamond in the rough like AC2, where even then, most of the good stuff is unlocked pretty early on.

E: I'd totally love a Magical AssCreed game made by Arkane. I'd rather let them play with their own IP, but I'd love some pseudo historical game about violent stabbing with illogical swords and protagonists who have a tendancy to not do the right thing in annoying ways. Parkour'ing as Ezio can sometimes be just as annoying as Corvo trying to give people hugs.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Do the rats seek people out once they've been mined? Because slapping a mine on a rat and possessing it to run straight at a cadet of guards would be amazing.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Fish Noise posted:

It took me forever to actually watch past the intro because holy poo poo

The intro was amazing. Had me in tears.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The Outsider gives people power and its up to them more or less to use it as they want. If they're so inclined they can give that power to followers. Which, assuming that he doesn't visit Emily, is how she gets her powers. It's unclear if all purpose outsider worship grants powers, his indirect favor, or what. As far as we know, everyone with magical powers has the outsiders mark or is a follower of someone with the mark or if there are rituals to gain the favor of the void. Granny Rags turned her cameo into a phylactery, but we have no idea of its a magic ritual or the outsider finds the ritual amusing or what. It kinda feels like the outsider makes splatbooks for his followers to gain access too and everyone else in the world is stuck with the core book.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, Sokolov is desperately trying to talk to the outsider, who thinks he's boring. Buy people find bone charms and runes and build shrine a to the outsider all the time. I wonder if the madness is a side effect of playing with trinkets that aren't yours, some latent effect of whale magic, lingering in the bone, or some latent madness the outsider approves of, or what. Or do crazy people just love those weird charms and runes?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if it's some kind of self reinforcing belief system. Granny met the outsider on her husband's expedition to Pandyssia, and she believed those rituals brought her closer to him and gained her power, so it did. Daud and Corvo collect runes because game mechanics and also because the Outsider said so. Delilah paints her powers, because she expresses herself beyond stabbings and weird little arm pump/waves.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Fish noise is my favorite poster.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Robots arent people so you can destroy them without it counting against you.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Coolguye posted:

it is, however, art.

It's also a public service. #killallknifeears

Dishonored two (or some dlc) needs to feature elves who are meticulous planners, and absolutely hated by the Outsider, so he sets you loose to rain hell upon them, because they're boring and stupid. A whole slew of new elf murdering powers because elves are the worst.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Coolguye posted:

no it's the outsider saying "okay so i understand that there might be some mixed messages here but seriously: i'm not letting you out of here until they're stains. go back and do it again."

In which the Outsider is basically Durandal. "There's no nearly enough dead elves here. Go back and kill some more, and when there's enough corpses on the ground I'll let you leave. Don't like it? Leave. Oh wait, you can't. Get to stabbing, chop chop."

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
No, low chaos would be murdering all the elves. High chaos would be letting them live so they can continue they're schemes and plots.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
That bed really tied the room together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I hope you can whiff in whatever game you guys do next.

Because it never gets old.

• Locked thread